Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arpanets
Feb 27, 2012

How much teams spent after day 2:
code:
Bucks                419
Cavaliers            125
Celtics              160
Clippers             552
Grizzlies            423
Hawks                38
Hornets              253
Jazz                 9
Kings                375
Lakers               164
Mavericks            692
Nets                 785
Nuggets              52
Pelicans             307
Pistons              179
Raptors              72
Spurs                195
Thunder              24
Timberwolves         125
Trailblazers         205
Wizards              181

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The formulae on the spreadsheet look like they're off by a line on day three onwards, compounding every day. It says my day 3 budget is $1000 (the correct one is the line below me) and my Day 4 is $625 (which is the line currently above me on the day 3 list)

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu

IcePhoenix posted:

The formulae on the spreadsheet look like they're off by a line on day three onwards, compounding every day. It says my day 3 budget is $1000 (the correct one is the line below me) and my Day 4 is $625 (which is the line currently above me on the day 3 list)

Thanks for pointing this out, it was duplicated on day 1 before final futzing. We hadn't gotten to Day 3 yet so I hadn't bothered to check/fix and probably would have forgotten. It appears to be good now.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
The Utah Jazz have once again submitted our bids! We're trying, folks, we really are!

Also, the teams who have yet to spend a nickle are:
76ers (Paul Zuvella)
Bulls (xbilkis)
Heat (Carlosologist)
Knicks (JackBandit)
Magic (DeimosRising)
Pacers (ScooterMcTiny)
Rockets (Blind Pineapple)
Suns (Activia)
Warriors (china klay)

The Mavs and Nets are below 1/3rd of their budget remaining; the Clips are below 1/2; and the Bucks, Grizz, and Kings are below 2/3rds. Still a lot of money out there.

e: The Nuggets don't have the formula to sum up their spending in the sheet, it's there on day one and missing on day 2 and onwards. They should be at 950 left after dropping 50 clams for Dalano Banton.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jul 26, 2022

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Giggs posted:

Thanks for pointing this out, it was duplicated on day 1 before final futzing. We hadn't gotten to Day 3 yet so I hadn't bothered to check/fix and probably would have forgotten. It appears to be good now.

Glad I could help :)

Also bids submitted and I had to leave out one of my intentional star lowballs to avoid going over budget :(

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

habeasdorkus posted:

The Utah Jazz have once again submitted our bids! We're trying, folks, we really are!

Also, the teams who have yet to spend a nickle are:
76ers (Paul Zuvella)
Bulls (xbilkis)
Heat (Carlosologist)
Knicks (JackBandit)
Magic (DeimosRising)
Pacers (ScooterMcTiny)
Rockets (Blind Pineapple)
Suns (Activia)
Warriors (china klay)

The Mavs and Nets are below 1/3rd of their budget remaining; the Clips are below 1/2; and the Bucks, Grizz, and Kings are below 2/3rds. Still a lot of money out there.

e: The Nuggets don't have the formula to sum up their spending in the sheet, it's there on day one and missing on day 2 and onwards. They should be at 950 left after dropping 50 clams for Dalano Banton.

From past seasons I think it's less about when you bid. I tried saving late one year and ended up having to spend a ton of cash just competing with people who were also saving.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Yeah, I don't think saving to the very end is a great idea because people have to spend whatever they've got. There's probably a sweet spot somewhere for "best value" but whether that happens when the best players are available is an open question. We're on day 3 and both Giannis and Jokic will be off the board.

Looking forward to the final day Zion bids when everyone is cashing out and someone's still sitting on like 700 bucks.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Doltos posted:

From past seasons I think it's less about when you bid. I tried saving late one year and ended up having to spend a ton of cash just competing with people who were also saving.

Yeah, the best deals pop up very randomly. The best strategy is probably one of just steady bids and not panic bidding.

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011
I feel ashamed the Knicks didn’t get jalen Brunson but I could help from bidding 104 even though I knew it was a low bid

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Lockback posted:

Yeah, the best deals pop up very randomly. The best strategy is probably one of just steady bids and not panic bidding.

No the best strategy is to draft winners like DrunkCanuck

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I haven’t spent yet but not for a lack of trying!!

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu

habeasdorkus posted:

Fixed

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Im not trying to draft a team of simulated winners, I'm trying to draft a team of players who would be good and cool winners IRL.

Also Kelly Olynyk so he cant hurt any of our starters.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

a new study bible! posted:

Im not trying to draft a team of simulated winners, I'm trying to draft a team of players who would be good and cool winners IRL.

Keegan Murray :hai:

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Olynyk was the guy I bid 2 dollars on, even though he's better than 2 dollars; I just figured he was loathed enough that I could get away with it.

I'm pretty chill about today. Yeah, I want Jokic, but... Eh. I can afford to turn my attention elsewhere, and can any of you?

That said, I still expect to be outbid. I'm pretty stingy, apparently.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

a new study bible! posted:

I'm not even trying to draft winners, I just like drafting a team than makes me feel cool and good even if they win like 35 games.

Come to think of it, it explains my real life fandom quite a bit

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Doltos posted:

There absolutely is a point where spending deflates and prices go down. Because the total amount of roster spots and funds for the league is effectivly capped (30k and 450, respectivly) there is an expectation that every roster spot, on average, will cost $66.66 (repeating of course) dollars and that roster spots and dollars will be spent at roughly the same relative rate.

This has not been the case so far, the league has spent 17.78% of the cap on 12.2% of the roster spots. Prices, quite literally, have to go down as we have outspent the rate we would expect to be at by over 5.5%. This isnt tenable and the average price of a player going forward is already down to $62.44. It will probably be around 60$ by the end of the day.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 26, 2022

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

I'm happy that my squad is fuckin ready to party and some cowards don't even have rotation players

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

There absolutely is a point where spending deflates and prices go down. Because the total amount of roster spots and funds for the league is effectivly capped (30k and 450, respectivly) there is an expectation that every roster spot, on average, will cost $66.66 (repeating of course) dollars and that roster spots and dollars will be spent at roughly the same relative rate.

This has not been the case so far, the league has spent 17.78% of the cap on 12.2% of the roster spots. Prices, quite literally, have to go down as we have outspent the rate we would expect to be at by over 5.5%. This isnt tenable and the average price of a player going forward is already down to $62.44. It will probably be around 60$ by the end of the day.

A big part of what brings that down is the number of $1 or even $0 FA guys that bring that average down, but don't meaningfully improve a team, and tend to bunch up at the end.

We also had the last 2 MVPs show up in the first three days.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Lockback posted:

A big part of what brings that down is the number of $1 or even $0 FA guys that bring that average down, but don't meaningfully improve a team, and tend to bunch up at the end.

We also had the last 2 MVPs show up in the first three days.

Sure, that's why I said roughly, There can be outlier days with more talent.

But for every end of bench player signed for a dollar on day 15 we have 52 bucks spent on Dalano Banton on day 2. We aren't overspending because of Jimmy Butler and KAT, we're overspending becasue of Marko Simonovic, Georgi Dieng and Nic Batum.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I spent a total of 38 bucks to get...daniel theiss and jevon carter......
I did get close on some of those superstars tho!! Deals were ALMOST made!!

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I put my bids in for today, I'm either going to look really smart or feel real dumb by the end of it

love the chase though!!

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Paul Zuvella posted:

But for every end of bench player signed for a dollar on day 15 we have 52 bucks spent on Dalano Banton on day 2. We aren't overspending because of Jimmy Butler and KAT, we're overspending becasue of Marko Simonovic, Georgi Dieng and Nic Batum.

And it’s been that way every time we’ve done it. Thank god

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Carlosologist posted:

love the chase though!!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lockback posted:

The most fun part about this kind of bidding is you never really expect to win a guy and when you do it's a nice surprise so you get a little bonus happiness on top of the happiness from winning a guy you wanted in general

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Being a rookie, I have no idea how to budget. On day 1, I underbid by a lot. On day 2, I was still well short, but I wasn’t as enthused about those players. We’ll see what day 3 brings tonight.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

DeimosRising posted:

And it’s been that way every time we’ve done it. Thank god

Oh yeah its endlessly entertaining

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

There were some good deals on day one I feel like, namely Gobert and Jalen Green

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Bids updated, still need 4? I think? (Cavs, Magic, Bucks, Thunder), but still around 3 hours left.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Wait, what? I thought I didn't submit, either.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Veryslightlymad posted:

I submitted for you, I hope you appreciate Wayne Ellington for $100

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Veryslightlymad posted:

It was a quick skim. Pels too!

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Paul Zuvella posted:

Agreed that spending is capped and I have a few other try hard things I've been thinking about when it comes to what players are worth. This is a quasi pit market game but everyone's up against an intangible seller in a blind bid. I think price point therefor has to be favoring later spenders, but with the caveat that no one has a reason to spend.

This isn't real currency and there's no reason to be hesitant other than feeling shame by having a bad team. That makes prices wholly dependent on league spending, like you said. It also allows lucky bids like mine to squeak through based on public perception. That is, if one player starts landing players or talent pools start drying up, price points go up and competitive bids go up.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Deadbeat Dad posted:

It was a quick skim. Pels too!

OK, good. I was worried I sleep-submitted. Which probably sounds crazy, but.... is a legitimate worry for me.

I have now actually submitted.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Paul Zuvella posted:

I think JaVale at $75 was way more of an overpay than Dieng at $30 lol

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

IcePhoenix posted:

JaVale is still good! He's a backup center, but he's an unusual guy who gives starter-quality production but in a small burst.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

i've submitted my bids, including what i think may be the winning bid for nikky j. you know the one

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

kingcobweb posted:

JaVale is still good! He's a backup center, but he's an unusual guy who gives starter-quality production but in a small burst.

Sure but I feel like you can say similar things about Gorgui, it's not his fault his minutes were cut because he was on a roster with seven billion centers

e: I don't even know why I'm arguing this for another team I guess I just like Gorgui. He's even going to have the same problem on this team!

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 26, 2022

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

IcePhoenix posted:

I mean, I could have listed a lot of dudes.

Paying more than 5-10 bucks for end of the bench dudes is just flat out dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Sent. Double checked the isn't a Melvin Booker in the g-league or some sort this time