Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
SpiceDAO, the people who spent a fortune on a copy of the concept art for Jodorowski’s Dune, seem to be in the process of being rugpulled by the project leaders

Note: this is the project that thought spending thousands of dollars on an art book meant they owned the copyright for it, when they learnt it meant they just owned an artbook they made a big thing about how they’d NFT it and burn the only physical copy in existence!! only to find that the art had been scanned years prior and was easily available online.

https://twitter.com/KathrynTewson/status/1552109452718850048

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Kull Wahad! (Dune joek)

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

drk posted:

there is a video, though its... not great, and who knows what was actually crushed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anzyEtqfA98&t=43s

If they don't have some guy I recognize from Antiques Roadshow in the video who says "I've examined this and it's a real diamond", and then stands there to observe it getting crushed, it's just a $10 cubic zirconia from ebay.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

coolusername posted:

SpiceDAO, the people who spent a fortune on a copy of the concept art for Jodorowski’s Dune, seem to be in the process of being rugpulled by the project leaders

Note: this is the project that thought spending thousands of dollars on an art book meant they owned the copyright for it, when they learnt it meant they just owned an artbook they made a big thing about how they’d NFT it and burn the only physical copy in existence!! only to find that the art had been scanned years prior and was easily available online.

https://twitter.com/KathrynTewson/status/1552109452718850048

It's not even the only physical copy either!

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

fez_machine posted:

https://twitter.com/liron/status/1551738599254773765

People bought into a blockchain investment in "hot spots" on the promise that it would pay rent in the hundreds of dollars per month then got mad when it only paid 20 bucks a month which turned out to be a VC subsidised 1 cent a month.

I never got involved but Helium at least tried to have a use.

long range low bandwith, doing a print and burn thing with the tokens. The idea being if someone needs something to phone home with low band with they can pay to use the mesh network.

The fact the price if falling is rather funny to me and looking at the helium map is also good fun

https://explorer.helium.com/

I m surprised how many are in south africa

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Collateral Damage posted:

Regarding Helium, weren't there various attempts back in the early-mid 2000s to create crowdsourced city-spanning wifi networks? I have vague memories of reading about custom firmwares for access points that let you share your internet connection. People could pay for access to the network and the people who offered up their access point would receive a bit of kickback.

I don't recall it ever really taking off, and then 3G and 4G came along and made it all moot.

Yeah, there was some move to do that. Comcast ended up just making every modem/router they provide come with a backdoor xfinity wifi access point included. Then when they launched their own cell phone service they claimed it had a huge amount of coverage because of all the access points you can get onto if you use xfinity.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Pham Nuwen posted:

If they don't have some guy I recognize from Antiques Roadshow in the video who says "I've examined this and it's a real diamond", and then stands there to observe it getting crushed, it's just a $10 cubic zirconia from ebay.

it's a literal grift, top to bottom, scamola.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

LifeSunDeath posted:

it's a literal grift, top to bottom, scamola.

That's not a nice thing to say about PBS. It's brought to you by Viewers Like You.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

RocketMermaid posted:

I have a hypothesis that things like crypto/NFTs, sovereign citizens, PUAs, etc. tend to appeal most to the mindsets of isolated tech folks who are used to dealing with systems of code/technology rather than systems of people, and expect manipulating people-based systems will work to their advantage like manipulating code-based systems. Of course, people are not code and can lie or just laugh and say "no", so rules-lawyering or trying to use the right "magic words" just doesn't work like they should. It's why sovereign citizens will cite things like a gold-fringed flag and expect the people in charge to throw an error code at them and let them do what they want, rather than them just laughing and throwing them in jail anyway.

I think your hypothesis is well-supported. The core true believers are coming from an insular subculture that overvalues rationalism and quantitative modes of thinking. There seems to be quite an overlap between coiners and “applied rationalists”/“ethical altruists.” If they’re pulling a software engineer salary, that convinces them of their general competence. Cross that with the popularity of libertarianism online, and you get a really toxic brew. They’ll sit around carping about inflation taking away their hard earned purchasing power, but of course, they have to completely ignore the other core libertarian argument that “central banks holding down interest rates causes malinvestment!” The Fed starts raising interest rates right around the same time this poo poo starts going bust again, hmm…

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Diamond NFT lady reminds me of that Qanon lady in canada.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I work in tech, on the hardware side and it's funny because outside of work the majority of people are just not really into whatever the new gizmos or consumer technologies, crypto included. I wouldn't call them luddites but usually just not interested in the latest and greatest stuff. I think of all the people I've worked with there was only one who was into crypto mining which is surprising in some ways because most of them would have the technical ability to put together mining rigs with their eyes closed. Even the one guy who does it just cashes out of his eth holdings regularly and is in no way a die hard nft/coiner freak.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
there are some techies into crypto, but really crypto people are ignorant of every possible technology including their own. the tech is just jargon they use for flavouring. these people are just general loving idiots.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

crypto investors are the type that go down youtube rabbit holes and think to themselves "drat these charts make a lot of sense, and these guys seem to know how to invest." They're the dumbest of the dumb.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

instead of all this dumb bullshit, how about we just give everyone a free burger every day. Or better yet, let's just make sure everyone has free access to healthy food

proof-of-steak

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jul 28, 2022

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Rexxed posted:

Yeah, there was some move to do that. Comcast ended up just making every modem/router they provide come with a backdoor xfinity wifi access point included. Then when they launched their own cell phone service they claimed it had a huge amount of coverage because of all the access points you can get onto if you use xfinity.

Is that legal?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Dabir posted:

Is that legal?

Lol what are you gonna do, kick out the only ISP in your whole city? Hahahahahahha

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Have a legally sanctioned individual point a gun at them and tell them you're centralising control of strategic infrastructure, I don't see the issue

Like this isn't revolution it's statehood 101 and if they want to play with the big boys they can expect to lose

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Ups_rail posted:

I m surprised how many are in south africa
The US is aggressively protective of a lot of the bullshit that makes up crypto and NFT's, and has not given Americans access to the wholecloth that is crypto grifting. Which is funny how people instead go "hurry up already" when crypto maximalists want to see it legalized. As a consequence, Asia Europe and Africa are very heavily invested into crypto - far more than the American public who by and large mostly don't give a poo poo.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

Crime on a Dime posted:

Audius bullshit

I looked at it once and it exploded
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/hackers-steal-6-million-from-blockchain-music-platform-audius/

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Read thread.
https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/1552460615914246144

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Regarding Helium, weren't there various attempts back in the early-mid 2000s to create crowdsourced city-spanning wifi networks? I have vague memories of reading about custom firmwares for access points that let you share your internet connection. People could pay for access to the network and the people who offered up their access point would receive a bit of kickback.

I don't recall it ever really taking off, and then 3G and 4G came along and made it all moot.

Even the centrally planned citywide WiFi networks were crap. WiFI was the absolute wrong choice - an AP even like 100 ft away might not work well. Backhaul was a problem as well. This was also in the barely usable 802.11a/b era.

High speed, high density radio networks are a v hard problem because of physics. Modern mobile networks are very cool. My mobile connection is 100,000x weaker (50dB) than my home wifi connection and it still works.

drk fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jul 28, 2022

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
we should have normal power outlets, usb A/C ports, and ethernet ports everywhere.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

PhazonLink posted:

we should have normal power outlets, usb A/C ports, and ethernet ports everywhere.

my ethernet ports everywhere scheme was defeated by cats who aren't particularly concerned if you need to connect to a web thing for work at 7AM

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I think when you travel through Germany, you sometimes still find some of these shared wifi networks. Although I think they were always by volunteers and not profit.

Rexxed posted:

Our provider in Western Europe has that as well. Sent us an email to rejoice, we would now providing free internet to other customers and would het free internet elsewhere as well. I was actually wanting to disable that but never got around yet to figuring out how.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Dabir posted:

Is that legal?

I believe they made it so you can turn it off on the modem/router but it's on by default so only nerds know what to do. Of course, what to do is just not use their god damned equipment in the first place, but I digress.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

drk posted:

my ethernet ports everywhere scheme was defeated by cats who aren't particularly concerned if you need to connect to a web thing for work at 7AM

how many cats? you should have 5 or 6.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

I had to stop and take a breath when they got to the suicide cult part

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Elias_Maluco posted:

Why would she even need to own a real diamond in the first place?

Is literally the same if she just took a picture of some the diamond from a jewelry store since her NFT is just a picture of a diamond anyway. Heck, she could even drawn a a diamond with crayons and take a picture of the drawing and it would still be the same

How can people believe this makes any sense at all?
Um, excuse me, this link to a picture of a diamond is in the same database row as a unique!! serial number. Therefore it's exactly the same as the real diamond

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
I find the whole crypto-libertarian angle quite funny. Back in 2009 when bitcoin launched I was still into libertarianism most (but not all) of my IRL fellow libertarians were actually very negative towards bitcoin in a "broken clock is right twice a day" kind of way. They argued that bitcoin was just another worthless, inflationary currency just like dirty fiat. They were such hardcore goldbugs that they correctly clocked bitcoin as just being nothing at all and thus worthless. Of course being libertatians they didn't want to ban or even regulate it, they just thought it was dumb and worthless.

I left behind libertarianism soon after and I don't know what their stance on bitcoin and crypto is now. Except for one dude who got super into it later. He messaged me out of the blue around when bitcoin peaked last year asking me to invest in his crypto start-up which I politely ignored.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Lord Stimperor posted:

Our provider in Western Europe has that as well. Sent us an email to rejoice, we would now providing free internet to other customers and would het free internet elsewhere as well. I was actually wanting to disable that but never got around yet to figuring out how.

If you log in to your router/box there's normally a setting. At least a few of the providers I used had the option in there.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
What is your strategy to find NFTs that will multiply in value?

:bravo2:

quote:

I’ve got a sneaky technique and, obviously, you should do your own research first. So, first, just so you know, there are plenty of NFT trades I didn’t catch. The reason being that it is incredibly difficult to predict growth for a highly irrational market (most NFT price appreciations make no sense…)

But I noticed an interesting pattern, which is obvious in hindsight… that NFTs that are needed for other aspects of the projects tend to do well.

For example, you need to own a Blueberry Club NFTs to increase your staking APR for GMX. You need to buy or summon heroes (in the form of NFTs) to go on quests on DeFi Kingdom, and you need crabs NFTs to participate in battles in Cradaba.

See where I’m going with that? As long as the game is fine, people need the NFT, which makes it less vulnerable to price decreases (it can still happen, we’re in crypto after all).

So what I’d do if I were you is I’d try to find an interesting game that is about to launch (e.g: Punk Panda NFT game) and grab a few characters’ NFTs. If the game does well, your NFT price goes to the roof. Then rinse & repeat

Obviously, I mentioned Punk Panda because it is the one I’m looking at right now. But I’d advise you to do your own research and try to find projects of similar quality.

:bravo2:

quote:

You can think of the project (punk panda) as a WhatsApp or Telegram competitor without the “selling data to make money” aspect. You’re actually getting paid to use their app and stay in contact with your friends and they redistribute the money through their token (called PPM).

I believe the IDO will be around July 29th. If I were you, I would check their website and socials regularly as they’re giving away thousands of dollars leading to the IDO. Plus they’re apparently planning to give away even more during and after it, so there might be some free tokens to grab.

https://twitter.com/pandapunknft/status/1474765024140742659

Thousands of dollars in Pandas… and that’s right, you can SLURP. YOUR. PANDA.

quote:

The Panda serum is available for every 50 Pandas that were released. 20 Serums are released in total where 2 Serums will be dropped for every 50 Pandas released. Each Panda holder is entitled to use this serum to transform their Panda into something gruesome and different than the other Pandas.

One serum will work for only one Panda, make use of it as it can change any Panda to something different.

We’re pretty sure it’s going to be a Panda meltdown.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

These stupid nft garbage projects are like the annoying loot boxes of some lovely mobile game

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

quote:

The Panda serum is available for every 50 Pandas that were released. 20 Serums are released in total where 2 Serums will be dropped for every 50 Pandas released. Each Panda holder is entitled to use this serum to transform their Panda into something gruesome and different than the other Pandas.

One serum will work for only one Panda, make use of it as it can change any Panda to something different.

We’re pretty sure it’s going to be a Panda meltdown.

PANDA-MONIUM would have worked better. It's right there.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
https://twitter.com/NewYorker/status/1552618168035729410

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I kind of hope that story continues until Bitcoin crashes to the point that his hard drive is worthless, and then the municipality finally says "ok".

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Plot twist: the waste removal people have been secretly searching for it and find they find it they’ll accept his bribes and let him search for it for a weekly fee

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

This was a wild ride. I can't wait for the comedy biopic on this nonsense.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Professor Shark posted:

These stupid nft garbage projects are like the annoying loot boxes of some lovely mobile game

That's almost certainly where they're getting the ideas from.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

how much does it cost to "mint" an nft? enough to toss it on some blockchain somewhere?

Since you own the link and technically not the jpg is it legal to mint a billion nfts that are the same jpg as one of those bored apes or whatever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Is there any protection against minting an existing URL? Because that kinda throws the whole "non-fungible" part into trash.