Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
They are printing artifact duals so Brothers War Alchemy can print 35 cards with affinity for artifacts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Reprint Skullclamp you cowards.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Captain Invictus posted:

does farewell exile artifact lands if you choose artifacts, or does being lands exempt them from that sort of removal

Artifact Lands are still artifacts and will get exiled. If they were exempt they'd be called out specifically, like on Granulate

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Lvl 3 Wizard Class + Connive is a fun combo. Throw in a Stormchaser Drake for extra shenanigans. I've been throwing different decks at the wall to see what sticks. Burning wildcards on March of Swirling Mist was a good call too.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
why is arena seemingly giving me two identical reward cards

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Does anyone have an idea why player.log isn't showing up despite detailed logging enabled? I want to shatter my delusion that the only reason I get hard matches is because of the hidden MMR.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

gave mid one more shot before it's gone forever. kind of ate poo poo with a 2-3. there was probably a better route to UB but I was deprioritizing blue in the beginning thinking it would be overdrafted. first few picks were tough, not especially proud of them, but I think I did ok with the rest of the draft. my gameplay sucked, I spewed removal way too recklessly. oh well

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Wrapped up my MID premier drafts, thanks to all who provided feedback and input, especially whoever recommended it over HBG quick drafts. I ended up going 31-30 over 10 drafts and had a lot of fun overall. I think I ended up spending something like 30k gold and 100 gems on it overall and netted 23 packs? So I guess I would have secured an additional 7 packs or so if I just purchased them from the store but that doesn't account for the 30 boosters I drafted or fun I had playing the format. I'm interested in picking back up with Crimson Vow potentially and will do some reading up on it.

If I chose to purchase packs is there wisdom to purchasing them from MID or whatever set I have collected the most packs in to take advantage of the the duplication protection? Assuming of course the set contains cards I desire for my constructed decks.

I know there's no ideal time to get into standard but given my limited resources and rotation coming in 1.5 months, I think my plan is to stick with limited events for the four most recent sets and to only craft cards from them for standard constructed. Looking at some popular decks the only one that seems not too affected by this approach is Boros Aggro. The only things that appear to be lost are Luminarch Aspirant, Roil Eruption, Bladed Historian, Elite Spellbinder, Rip Apart, Showdown of the Skalds, and lands - depending on what configuration you play.

Here's the mono-red aggro Explorer deck I found that only needed commons and uncommons, can't recall where I found it now:
4 Chandra's Spitfire (M20) 132
17 Mountain (ZNR) 383
4 Chandra's Pyreling (M21) 138
4 Scorch Spitter (M20) 159
3 Fanatical Firebrand (RIX) 101
2 Torch Courier (GRN) 119
2 Gingerbrute (ELD) 219
4 Voldaren Epicure (VOW) 182
2 Play with Fire (MID) 154
4 Cavalcade of Calamity (RNA) 95
4 Light Up the Stage (RNA) 107
4 Skewer the Critics (RNA) 115
2 Reckless Impulse (VOW) 174
2 Desert of the Fervent (AKR) 287
2 Spikefield Hazard (ZNR) 166

Sideboard
1 Seismic Wave (NEO) 161
3 Lava Coil (GRN) 108
2 Ruinous Gremlin (KLR) 142
1 Unlucky Witness (SNC) 128
3 Unlucky Witness (SNC) 128
2 Reckless Impulse (VOW) 174
1 End the Festivities (VOW) 155
2 Heartfire (WAR) 131

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

I've done horribly at MID, 40% so far but current draft is 3-0 so it'll go into the 30s unless I get at least 6 wins. People are passing me a lot of rares, the problem is they're real real bad, like off color lands or croaking counterpart etc.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Raggadragga is a fun Commander. My opponent (the turn before) had cast Scapeshift to sac 7 lands and really pump up Korvold. I thought I was in some trouble with Korvold and Goldspan, but then I top decked Finale of Devastation and was like "gently caress yeah lets go!"

I also had a really fun game against Nicol Bolas, God Pharaoh. I fell behind, but then got Immortal Sun into play. They board wiped, and then played Nicol Bolas, the Ravager. I was at 6 life, so literally all they had to do was swing with Bolas and they were probably going to win. Instead they decided to transform Bolas into his Planeswalker form. There was about a 30 second pause where they used the "Oops" emote and then scooped.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Didn't try to rare draft for final MID draft and ended up with 1 rare, 2 mythics (2 of which are being played in my deck), and I'm doing 5-2 right now, which is the best I've been doing so far. Rare drafting really fucks up the actual drafting part of the game lol.

Problem is I don't have enough data on how good I am to math out whether I'm better off playing for gems/packs or trying to grab something like 10 rares and hoping for the best, especially since I assume this would change as I climb the ranks, plat 1 games are already noticeably harder in that it's rarer to see obvious misplays. I haven't tried VOW with actual people yet but here's to hoping I open huge bombs again like with quick drafts.

Algid fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jul 28, 2022

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Rare drafting doesn't seem worth it on Arena like it is on MTGO, where you can sell the rare to pay for the whole draft. Better to try for more packs for wildcard progress to craft whatever you want for constructed.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Yep, raredrafting is absolutely the wrong way to go.

You're way better off taking a common or uncommon that helps your deck (and if you're in premier, sends the right signals) than taking a rare which will rot in your sideboard, doubly so if it's not one you'd play in constructed.

if there's no card in your colours, or the rare is broadly evenly useful with the common or uncommon you might pick oevr it, take the rare, but aim to draft the best deck, not the rarest one. Because that rare is worth 20 gems (40 for a mythic) and if you win even one game because you took a more useful card over it, that's a minimum of 50 gems more. Not to mention that the rare only pays of those 20 gems if you actually open packs after being rare complete for the set, which is pretty tough to do free to play.

Draft good decks. Don't raredraft.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

I got rare completion with 22 premier drafts for SNC (though I haven't actually cracked packs to get all the cards yet since I don't need anything for any decks I want).

Drafting to win should take more drafts to get an equivalent number of rares + packs, but it can obviously also sustain itself more easily than rare drafting. I was just wondering out loud if I was actually good enough to make that the better strategy.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

should i spend my wcs building an explorer deck? thinking of either jund sac with korvold or simic flash. cost about the same number of wcs, unsure what playstyle i'm interested in. just know i don't want to do a braindead monocolor aggro deck

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i think there's a decent chance of what decks to make shifting with the anthology that dropped a couple hours ago so i'd hold off a little bit before investing a lot of wildcards

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

right, i just popped back in after not playing since explorer dropped. didn't realize that was coming today, thanks

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
I cant say I'm a fan of the new icons on the phone version, why do they keep making things smaller? My dumb sausage fingats have hit hit the wrong thing a couple times now. Still no collection icon up there and the actual collection button on the deck screen is tiny.

e - they fixed it so new cards show up at the front of your collection again, so thats good.

Bugsy fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 28, 2022

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Welp pretty sure my windows install broke. I got matched with a silver in game 8 since I assume the player pool is tiny by this point, was beating up on my opponent before my game crashed and then started to crash with increasing frequency as I reconnected. Should be an easy comp at least, I have a dozen logs showing what happened since it generates each one for a game session.

Also yeah, the icons suck now.

edit: going to paly a normal game to see how quickly my game client dies.

started on 3rd turn again lol, I'm just going to update android and try some games tomorrow instead.

Algid fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 28, 2022

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Are they likely to add the Kamigawa full art basics to the store again?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Ah I found out what Slaughter Games is for, it's for Rakdos Midrange players to jerk themselves raw off thinking they've destroyed your gameplan but you lost to bad draws anyway.

snyprmag posted:

They'll be back eventually

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

snyprmag posted:

Unlikely, but you never know. They tend to make old stuff available in the Daily Deals instead, except that I've never seen basic lands in the Daily Deals.

The card manager seems to treat them as cards rather than styles (or some weird hybrid), so maybe the Daily Deals grunt isn't even being given the option to put up individual cards for purchase.

Edit: the parallax snow lands have been on sale, and those are definitely styles because you can right-click and select the style you want. The client seems to treat all other basics differently though

Funkdreamer fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 28, 2022

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
There's a cosmetics sale coming in August or soon enough that'll surely have a variety of lands to peruse. Kamigawa specifically is who knows.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Settling into 55% with Gates which is fine with me lol, it's fun to play

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

just cast a supreme verdict instead of shatter Thank you wotc incredible work

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Quotey posted:

There's a cosmetics sale coming in August or soon enough that'll surely have a variety of lands to peruse. Kamigawa specifically is who knows.

love how this dumb game doesn't even let you spend money on the things you want because we have to cultivate FOMO constantly

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

id like the full art snow lands. luckily already have the superior mirage basics

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Calibanibal posted:

id like the full art snow lands. luckily already have the superior mirage basics

i only got the mirage swamps and mountains, a mistake i will never be able to live down. at least i got the two best ones

Kill Dozed
Feb 13, 2008
Sadly, the Mirage basic lands don't have the classic brown border

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

40 lbs to freedom posted:

just cast a supreme verdict instead of shatter Thank you wotc incredible work

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

babypolis posted:

i only got the mirage swamps and mountains, a mistake i will never be able to live down. at least i got the two best ones

yeah that mountain is gorgeous. hopefully someday we can get the best plains and island

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Calibanibal posted:

yeah that mountain is gorgeous. hopefully someday we can get the best plains and island

its gorgeous AND its super nostalgic to me because i had a ton of those lands as a kid

that plains was also plentiful, but the island i had never seen before. its really good tho

babypolis fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jul 28, 2022

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
Crafted some Mausoleum Wanderers and played my explorer spirits deck again, feels good! Going to be doing more of that while waiting for Kamigawa draft to come around.

At some point my idea was to get a paper version of the deck to play some Pioneer locally but after realising how much I suck at playing the deck I shelved that lol. Still fun to learn and try to improve with though

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I want the Gelatinous Cube card sleeve. It's my white jiggly whale.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

lmao

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

the bob Ross lands are the best. but my second pick is the stupid looking m20 Planeswalker-themed lands you could only get from random jumpstart packs

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

it's not flashy but I really adore this art. not in arena though :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl