Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

killerwhat posted:

Anyone got a go-to example page to send to people? I want to recommend OOTS to friends but it doesn't sell itself well just looking at the first couple of strips. Might have to flick through my printed books (good thing I have no other plans this evening) to find something that looks epic and exciting but without spoilers.

322 was my first strip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The page where Roy is asking the Oracle where the bad guys will go next while leaving a huge loophole that the comic points out by switching to team evil’s pov.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
I started at around 422-423, the start of the battle for Azure City. That hooked me and probably would serve as a decent intro to the strip: each character has a chance to shine and show themselves, and there's plenty of action.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

ConfusedUs posted:

The page where Roy is asking the Oracle where the bad guys will go next while leaving a huge loophole that the comic points out by switching to team evil’s pov.

331!

I like 541 as an introduction to the baddies. Xykon putting O-Chul into an acid vat.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
If you're gonna hand them a book, you'd probably be best starting with War and XPs, which actually starts in time that you can see

ConfusedUs posted:

Edit: #301 to #484, specifically.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
#173 was the first OotS page I read, which is far from an interesting place to start and I was in the middle of high school and could barely understand enough English to read the comic, but it hooked me anyways. I have followed OotS my entire adult life, which is kinda wild to think about.

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jul 31, 2022

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Posting on the 'leetest page

Idk, it's a hard question because it's such a tough sell with any single strip. I would maybe try the conceptual play of 'it started as a gag strip about DND but fairly quickly became a legit pop literature epic with great character arcs that shows every sign of sticking the landing. also, it's quite funny.'

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The I hope you like text of the ootsverse

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Your honor, League of Legends.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

girl dick energy posted:

Double post because this wouldn't leave my brain until I created it.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I'm partial to 345.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

killerwhat posted:

Anyone got a go-to example page to send to people? I want to recommend OOTS to friends but it doesn't sell itself well just looking at the first couple of strips. Might have to flick through my printed books (good thing I have no other plans this evening) to find something that looks epic and exciting but without spoilers.

Why not pass them the relatively short and self-contained story, "No Cure for the Paladin Blues"? At the end is says there's a world-ending threat, but c'mon. That was a given.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
The proper way to introduce it is by showing them the guest comic on 8-bit theater

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010
The theater snacks interlude. It's got drama, pathos, and action packed into a single page. And it's hilarious.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

killerwhat posted:

Roy falling to his death?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Parahexavoctal posted:

Roy falling to his death?
That’s the exact opposite of not a spoiler.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

The first strip I ever saw was Elan and Thog in jail (with the nail not-nale monologue) and I bounced off it hard. I don't remember what actually brought me back to give the comic a second chance, and which strip was it, but I think it happened in the break before Blood runs in the Family.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

How is the vertical layout of the fall handled in the books?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

It's broken up into page-height panels that are laid out horizontally.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

McCloud posted:

This seems like an incredibly bad idea that's absolutely going to backfire hilariously, just like all his other schemes

I think from what we've learned in the past, it needs to be around Redcloak's neck. It sets up a comedy of errors that starts with Xykon's spoiler ace in the hole from Start of Darkness. Here's how I see a sequence of events playing out, spoiler tagging because it relies on the Start of Darkness thing: Redcloak will probably at some point learn of MitD's newfound morality and use that knowledge to successfully manipulate it into backing him against Xykon. Of course we know that MitD has a magical compulsion placed on him by Xykon to eat Redcloak and spit out the phylactery should Redcloak ever betray him. So of course when Redcloak finally enacts his plan, he'll be surprised by the MitD turning on him and get eaten. MitD will spit out the phylactery as instructed, but Xykon won't realize that it's the real one, still thinking the decoy in the Astral Fortress is legit. He'll be amused and either casually destroy the phylactery himself, or ignore it and leave it to be found by the OotS. Either way Xykon has ironically set up his own downfall by thinking the "spit out the phylactery" part of the spell is no longer relevant.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Mylan posted:

I think from what we've learned in the past, it needs to be around Redcloak's neck. It sets up a comedy of errors that starts with Xykon's spoiler ace in the hole from Start of Darkness. Here's how I see a sequence of events playing out, spoiler tagging because it relies on the Start of Darkness thing: Redcloak will probably at some point learn of MitD's newfound morality and use that knowledge to successfully manipulate it into backing him against Xykon. Of course we know that MitD has a magical compulsion placed on him by Xykon to eat Redcloak and spit out the phylactery should Redcloak ever betray him. So of course when Redcloak finally enacts his plan, he'll be surprised by the MitD turning on him and get eaten. MitD will spit out the phylactery as instructed, but Xykon won't realize that it's the real one, still thinking the decoy in the Astral Fortress is legit. He'll be amused and either casually destroy the phylactery himself, or ignore it and leave it to be found by the OotS. Either way Xykon has ironically set up his own downfall by thinking the "spit out the phylactery" part of the spell is no longer relevant.

Oh, that's really clever.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

killerwhat posted:

Maybe the literal sidequest in the wood with the bandit camp and the black dragon?

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
New page - https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1264.html

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

This one ruled

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
What the heck is that thing.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Wittgen posted:

It's a being of pure Law from Mechanus. Probably metal and clockwork-y.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I feel a Minions lawsuit is coming...

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

The title joke is real good for this page.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Wittgen posted:

Lawful good has angels, lawful neutral has these dudes

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
it's obviously a Quarton, the fourth most powerful kind of modron of which only 4^2 exist, it's like none of you people have ever obsessed over the nerdiest aspects of a discontinued element of the franchise

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

it's obviously a Quarton, the fourth most powerful kind of modron of which only 4^2 exist, it's like none of you people have ever obsessed over the nerdiest aspects of a discontinued element of the franchise

Hell yeah, this is the answer I was looking for.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Quartons have 4 arms, this thing has 5.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Don't be ridiculous, nothing has five arms (other than a starfish and the therefrom derived Pentadrone, which looks entirely different, and is a base modron and not something for which you'd need a Gate spell).

I will admit that this thing has what appears to be a fifth arm that I originally overlooked. This would make it a Quinton, which also have four arms, but also sport a prehensile tail with a hand at the end. They're the fifth strongest kind of modron and 5^2 of those exist. I guess they're the strongest kind of modron you can summon with a Gate spell.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I hope the next comic is just the lil Modron singing the contract terms and it is longer than the trial comic.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Or perhaps it resembles but is legally distinct from a Modron.

I don't remember if Modrons are one of the things wizards is weird about

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Why do you think Redcloak is having to go out of his way, and make a non-trivial sacrifice in XP to summon a Law modron? To have one (iirc the big guy from just reading the article comes with him an entourage?) sit behind each door so they can mark them off properly? Multiple people to go through each door faster?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Don't be ridiculous, nothing has five arms (other than a starfish and the therefrom derived Pentadrone, which looks entirely different, and is a base modron and not something for which you'd need a Gate spell).

I will admit that this thing has what appears to be a fifth arm that I originally overlooked. This would make it a Quinton,

Why are all those entries written in past-tense? Was there a Modron genocide at some point, extirpating the entire race from existence?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Phanatic posted:

Why are all those entries written in past-tense? Was there a Modron genocide at some point, extirpating the entire race from existence?

Yes, it is called 4th edition DnD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

ZearothK posted:

Yes, it is called 4th edition DnD.

Nah I checked, and some kinds of Modrons have entries for 4th and 5th editions, but the articles for them are also written in past tense.
Maybe it's just a house writing style for the wiki?