Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I really like Swanson's low-honor sendoff conversation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Hihohe posted:

Honestly Sister Calderon talking to Arthur is also a "Have to do" for me

Its really the most vulnerable we see Arthur and it makes me tear up just thinking about it.

"Whenever we happen to meet, you're always helping people and smiling. :)"

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Hihohe posted:

Honestly Sister Calderon talking to Arthur is also a "Have to do" for me

Its really the most vulnerable we see Arthur and it makes me tear up just thinking about it.

That and the final debt collection mission being missable is a serious mistake tbh. nothing hammers home Arthurs redemption more than those scenes. The acting in them is superb

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I thought the (late game spoilers) dog stuff with Micah was a little heavy handed. We already have enough proof he's not a good dude by that point, does he have to be a dog murder too? Does he also punch babies and tear legs off of beetles?

In fairness, my GF pointed out to me this wasn't simple psychopath behavior, there was method to it. "All those mouths to feed," all the "dead weight" in the gang. Micah's been talking about it practically all game. We see the kind of gang he wants, a group of muscle and thugs and nothing else. Cain was just another mouth to feed, another liability. Far as we know, he didn't just skin him or something for the lulz... I hope not, anyway....

I remember the camp convos you can have with Dutch and Micah after the failed parlay with Colm. Dutch and Micah both took the wrong lessons from this whole mess. Micah that trying to talk things out and be peaceful was wrong, and Dutch notes that he tried forgiveness and look what happened.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Jerusalem posted:

"Whenever we happen to meet, you're always helping people and smiling. :)"

:unsmith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoxFRRf9DJM

Shine light into darkness

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Swanson is also in the background for the most part, but it is nice they point out how he steps up post bank robbery incident.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
In that last convo with the nun he also says he got the TB "beating a man to death for money" Was that one of the early Strauss collections or is it just a reference to something pre-game?

e] Yea I' had a massive gap between most of the game and finishing up my playthrough and I couldn't remember if there was a debt collection where someone was sick or not.

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jul 31, 2022

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Nah, it's referring to the jobs you do for strauss

(Spoilers)
https://youtu.be/hAdZPnxINQwa

Gunthen
Apr 10, 2011
It's funny. Almost 4 years after release I've finally played through this game a second time. There really hasn't been anything close to the level of quality story or open world released since.

I genuinely hope GTA6 has a solid single player campaign, and they don't just go all in with the online MTX side of things, would be a drat shame if Rockstar doesn't make a narrative focused single player experience like this again. And it's a drat shame nobody else has come close to matching it years later.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

That debt collecting mission is also the only one that's required too, but if it wasn't there would probably be a lot of people who just skip them all. It's hardly any money and there's not a lot of joy in doing them.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Yeah Arthur gets TB from Mr Downs when he coughs blood right on Arthurs face during that mission.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

God, I loving love this game.

Really wish they'd make the PC version of the first game, if only to experience what everybody else got to that lead into this masterpiece being made.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

Really wish they'd make the PC version of the first game, if only to experience what everybody else got to that lead into this masterpiece being made.

yeah, its really odd they did not jsut have the remaster already in the works. literally 70% of the game world, and the main character, are all in this game. hell people have cheated into mexico and msot of the poo poo is there. With rockstar's resources it woudl hardly be an issue to just take the first game and remake it in rdr2. all the voice acting is done, the mocap is done, hell you can repurpose so much poo poo from rdr2 no one would even know. and it would just print money for them.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Does anyone else get insane graphical issues running this game on PC? I've heard of pretty non-invasive stuff happening but for me it's like the shaders or something chug a quart of kentucky bourbon about ten or so minutes into gameplay.

I'm saying stuff that looks like my graphics card is broken. Entire shadowmaps (and thusly landscapes) flickering from normal to completely dark to seethrough. If I have the time later on tonight I'm probably going to find myself playing this game and will take screenshots.
But it really does look like artifacting that only a broken card could produce. Even though stressing my system through other games I'll have zero issue.

I stress this because whenever I relate this to someone else and finally figure out their problems it's more along the lines of "yeah if you squint hard enough there are dots on peoples faces" or something minor like that. Not the game turning into a strobelighted disco.
I'm not over clocking, I'm running the game on lower settings...

Anyone else get this kind of MAJOR graphical screwball crap?

Jerusalem posted:

As far as I can tell they just don't like making proper PC versions of their game (GTA IV on the pc?). It's a question of shark cards over how profitable a remake would be.
A remake isn't going to happen in the near future in my opinion because it's too niche and they already have a current gen cowboy game.

Give it a few years though. A better game idea will float around but they'll realize all the points you've made and push RDR: Remake out with a tenth of the effort.

Dead Space: Remake and RE4 VR happened. RDR remake will happen, eventually. Although there may be legal reasons as to why it hasn't happened yet.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

A compilation of the best mission song moments in the game. I'd embed it but it's disabled. God It's so loving good.

I didn't mention it but I loved "My Last Boy." A sad ending of course but that opening bit with Arthur lading "his gang" to fight and save Eagle Flies with that music is unbelievably great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1W4grDLPec&t=395s

Charles: We're riding with you.

Sadie: Call yourself soldiers!

Eagle Flies: You're nothing but murderers!

Thinking on it though, even this is kind of sad. Looking at that amazing shot of all of them riding into battle reminds me of the last such shot with the gang assaulting Braithwaite Manor. There, they were all unified with one purpose. Now.....not so much.

NeoSeeker posted:

Does anyone else get insane graphical issues running this game on PC? I've heard of pretty non-invasive stuff happening but for me it's like the shaders or something chug a quart of kentucky bourbon about ten or so minutes into gameplay.

I'm saying stuff that looks like my graphics card is broken. Entire shadowmaps (and thusly landscapes) flickering from normal to completely dark to seethrough. If I have the time later on tonight I'm probably going to find myself playing this game and will take screenshots.
But it really does look like artifacting that only a broken card could produce. Even though stressing my system through other games I'll have zero issue.

I stress this because whenever I relate this to someone else and finally figure out their problems it's more along the lines of "yeah if you squint hard enough there are dots on peoples faces" or something minor like that. Not the game turning into a strobelighted disco.
I'm not over clocking, I'm running the game on lower settings...

Anyone else get this kind of MAJOR graphical screwball crap?

As far as I can tell they just don't like making proper PC versions of their game (GTA IV on the pc?). It's a question of shark cards over how profitable a remake would be.
A remake isn't going to happen in the near future in my opinion because it's too niche and they already have a current gen cowboy game.

Give it a few years though. A better game idea will float around but they'll realize all the points you've made and push RDR: Remake out with a tenth of the effort.

Dead Space: Remake and RE4 VR happened. RDR remake will happen, eventually. Although there may be legal reasons as to why it hasn't happened yet.

I sure hope it gets a PC remaster. Added content be cool, little callbacks to RDR2 or whatnot, but I just wanna play the game myself someday and I can't right now.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jul 31, 2022

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Started playing again. Love how Arthur will mouth off to thugs after killing them. "Who's talkin' now!?" he mumbles, while sifting through the pockets of the highwaymen.

Pyle
Feb 18, 2007

Tenno Heika Banzai
I started playing Red Dead Online just now. Already finished the main story and was wondering what to do next. I am not much of a gamer. RDO is my first ever online game that I've tried. And how much fun it has been for the last few days. I had no idea online players were such assholes, and I have loved every minute of it. Some of the daily challenges are so hilarious, when we should be progressing towards some common goal, but people just keep shooting each other. I just got killed 28 times in a 10 minute mission. I've just started and it is online from now on.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

WoodrowSkillson posted:

yeah, its really odd they did not jsut have the remaster already in the works. literally 70% of the game world, and the main character, are all in this game. hell people have cheated into mexico and msot of the poo poo is there. With rockstar's resources it woudl hardly be an issue to just take the first game and remake it in rdr2. all the voice acting is done, the mocap is done, hell you can repurpose so much poo poo from rdr2 no one would even know. and it would just print money for them.
RDR2 for me is so good I would just want Rockstar to remake RDR1 the only thing RDR1 has over 2 is liars dice. I just also find RDR very mean spirited in ways with their side missions that RDR2 handled much better

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Liar's dice was a ton of fun, I'd love to see that come back in a minigame.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

achillesforever6 posted:

RDR2 for me is so good I would just want Rockstar to remake RDR1 the only thing RDR1 has over 2 is liars dice. I just also find RDR very mean spirited in ways with their side missions that RDR2 handled much better

yeah id actually prefer a remake more than just a remaster but i figure that's entirely a fantasy. it was the old rockstar bleeding through more then similar to how gta 4 has wild swings between very serious and very silly stuff. rdr2 felt way more confident in their ability to be serious and dramatic.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

achillesforever6 posted:

As someone who basically knows nothing about 1, could you give some examples?

WoodrowSkillson posted:

yeah id actually prefer a remake more than just a remaster but i figure that's entirely a fantasy. it was the old rockstar bleeding through more then similar to how gta 4 has wild swings between very serious and very silly stuff. rdr2 felt way more confident in their ability to be serious and dramatic.

Well 2 has a lot of weirdness. The main story is very down-to-earth and real, but then there are werewolves randomly out in the wild, robots, and probably other oddities I don't know about.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

Well 2 has a lot of weirdness. The main story is very down-to-earth and real, but then there are werewolves randomly out in the wild, robots, and probably other oddities I don't know about.

not op and I wouldn't want to spoil much, but basically every RDR1 side mission is very cynical and ends badly in that GTA type of way. typically you can see the outcome coming a mile away, like with the flying machine guy who when you get him all his parts he finally takes flight off the cliff and falls screaming to his death instantly but there's a few where they pull the rug on you in a way that could be read as cruel, like the sweet old guy who has you collect flowers for his wife only to find that not only is she dead, hes keeping her body in his house and pretending shes alive in some hosed up Flannery O'Conner type scenario

RDR2 has plenty of dark poo poo in its sidequests too, but I think generally it has a much less grim view of humanity than 1, and when it is cruel there's a kind of, if not justice then at least what feels like warranted gravity to it I guess if that makes sense

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

RDR certainly had its black comedy but it was still a breath of fresh air compared to what Rockstar had put out before imo. I think a lot of it comes down to the lack of a radio, so there's nowhere to dump the cheap jokes that otherwise would be blaring over and over again every time you go from point A to point B

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

achillesforever6 posted:

Somebody forgot the horseshoe toss minigame

WoodrowSkillson posted:

One massive game where you have the option to go straight from RDR2 to RDR1 Remake has been my wish for a long time. There was news a while ago of a cancelled RDR1 remaster, or at least put on hold, but that came on the heels of the mess that was the GTA trilogy remaster.

NikkolasKing posted:

Focusing on the main story I think RDR1 is more heavily influenced by spaghetti westerns, while RDR2 is more influenced by late american revisionist westerns like the Wild Bunch.

Also noting that the original original Red Dead Revolver was arcade mode absurd

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I think Red Dead 2 is interesting in that each of its 3 acts seems to mirror a specific sub-genre of Western. Where the beginning with Bill and Bonnie is very classic John Wayne stuff, where Mexico is a lot like.... well the Wild Bunch or Duck You Sucker in that you're brought to Mexico for personal reasons and get wrapped up in the revolution and interact with corrupt generals and revolutionaries. And finally Act 3 shares a lot of themes with Red Dead 2 in that it's like, a deconstruction of what the West was and Ross goes on huge philosophical debates. It being centered around Blackwater also makes the encroachment of urban, industrial life onto the West very apparent. Red Dead 2 is stronger as a narrative imo, and Red Dead 1 really feels like an ode to the Western as a genre and takes you through rhe developmental history of Weaterns in the course of the game which I thought was really cool.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Rdr had two time displaced generic gta tedious shithead quest givers you HAD to work for because ???. One was a literal snake oil salesman and the other I forget but he was a skinny guy with a bowler hat and they were just so wAcKy and iRrEvErEnT and John had to take their poo poo because who the gently caress knows

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
In more "Micah is an unbelievably huge piece of poo poo" news, I started a new playthrough and goddamn, after you kill the O'driscoll's at the Adler ranch he finds Sadie Adler, (either hiding or imprisoned in the cellar) and immediately starts terrorising her like an absolute psycho.
Arthur & Dutch are both just like :wtc: and it really highlights how different he is from the rest of the gang. Just the fact that he's with them at all kinda shows how much trouble they were in prior to the start of the game.

On a completely different note, had a funny moment playing the epilogue where someone mentioned the general store owner in Armadillo being a piece of poo poo, so I went to check it out and lo & behold, it's young Herbert Moon :haw:

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Calaveron posted:

Rdr had two time displaced generic gta tedious shithead quest givers you HAD to work for because ???. One was a literal snake oil salesman and the other I forget but he was a skinny guy with a bowler hat and they were just so wAcKy and iRrEvErEnT and John had to take their poo poo because who the gently caress knows

I don't remember skinny guy with the bowler hat, other than the one guy you play as for a bit in Red Dead Revolver. But yeah, there's a general lack of agency in 1 that doesn't help the GTA vibe. In 2 you kind of always have the option to tell them to gently caress off, and Arthur never feels like he's getting pushed around for no reason

Though it kind of vibes with John's characterization vs Arthur's in retrospect. They really did a good job not just writing around but fleshing out 1 with 2

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Skinny guy was probably the gross grave-robber dude.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

In more "Micah is an unbelievably huge piece of poo poo" news, I started a new playthrough and goddamn, after you kill the O'driscoll's at the Adler ranch he finds Sadie Adler, (either hiding or imprisoned in the cellar) and immediately starts terrorising her like an absolute psycho.
Arthur & Dutch are both just like :wtc: and it really highlights how different he is from the rest of the gang. Just the fact that he's with them at all kinda shows how much trouble they were in prior to the start of the game.

I liked how Dutch noted the house could be used for additional shelter...only for Micah to burn it down cuz he can't just not be Micah for five seconds.

Speaking of which, while it gets lost in the attack and poor Kieran's fate, I like that Dutch did in fact listen to Arthur about taking Lenny instead of Micah for the trolley job. In camp dialogue in Shady Belle Micah was already talking openly about turning Dutch against John and Arthur but it only seemed to happen later.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

No, it's the tweaked out racist guy who gets a native american killed in a mission. I just looked it up, Harold MacDougal

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I was thinking it must have been Irish, the annoying drunk who constantly flakes on and betrays you (which, now that I've written that out, is probably problematic or something but the character is so uniquely annoying in his own way that that never registered to me while playing it)

e: lol maybe it's not such a testament to RDR1's writing that someone said "annoying skinny guy" and 3 of us came up with different but plausible interpretations of who it could have been

probably only the one of them wore a bowler hat but I don't remember the game that well

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

I liked how Dutch noted the house could be used for additional shelter...only for Micah to burn it down cuz he can't just not be Micah for five seconds.

Speaking of which, while it gets lost in the attack and poor Kieran's fate, I like that Dutch did in fact listen to Arthur about taking Lenny instead of Micah for the trolley job. In camp dialogue in Shady Belle Micah was already talking openly about turning Dutch against John and Arthur but it only seemed to happen later.

Yeah on a first run Micah seems like just another gang member, but doing it again it's extremely obvious. He also starts antagonizing people literally the moment he is back in camp.

There is a theory that rockstar highlights dutch getting a head injury during the trolley mission as a potential compounding factor in his collapse. after that is when he truly goes off the rails, pun intended.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

He tries being an rear end in a top hat to Charles once, and gets knocked on his rear end for it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Yeah on a first run Micah seems like just another gang member, but doing it again it's extremely obvious. He also starts antagonizing people literally the moment he is back in camp.

There is a theory that rockstar highlights dutch getting a head injury during the trolley mission as a potential compounding factor in his collapse. after that is when he truly goes off the rails, pun intended.

I support that theory because why else would it be in the game? When somebody says they're okay, it's always the opposite in fiction.

I also just found this on YT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgMfrYx9kUI

In the main story, when you ride with Dutch to get the swamp boat to sneak attack Bronte, he goes on this tirade then abruptly stops and sounds like he barely knew what he had been saying. Yeah, that can kinda happen to anyone while angry, but given this is right after the head injury, it set off alarm bells for me.

I know some people act like acknowledging the head trauma as a factor is "a cheap out" but it's a bit like Arthur's TB. The TB alone didn't kill him and Dutch's probable concussion didn't solely cause his collapse. The stress of everyone looking to him and depending on him, depression at losing Hosea and Lenny for no reason, all this and more right after the head injury - it just makes sense.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Aug 2, 2022

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I've read that theory but I'm not sure how much I buy it. I feel like they telegraph "Dutch is making bad decisions" way before the trolley.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Something I noticed on my second playthrough that I don't think I spotted on my first, there's a camp interaction where Micah is just fawning over Dutch in the most incredibly obvious way. After he leaves, Arthur asks Dutch if he is REALLY buying this bullshit, and Dutch rolls his eyes and tells Arthur that he's fully aware Micah is just kissing his rear end and isn't fooled in the slightest.

Given what we see across the six chapters, it really does seem like Dutch was starting to have real problems that were excarcabated both by stress and environment: in Blackwater it seems he was mostly working with Micah and things went off the rails including Dutch apparently murdering a woman quite brutally. Once they're in the first camp and then down to Valentine, with both Arthur and Hosea back in proximity helping run things, Arthur notes in his diary that Dutch seems like his old self again. His confidence is really up during chapter 2 and 3 which I think is when the aforementioned Micah interaction happens.

After the trolley crash, he can't stand to listen to Bronte's taunting and murders him, then you have Hosea's death (Lenny too, but Hosea hits him harder), the Guarma incident, they lose all the money, they end up in a swamp and get IMMEDIATELY jumped by the Pinkerton's again, he comes face to face with what he thinks is the personification of what he hates about America in Cornwall, and by the time they're holed up in that cave Dutch is so far gone he seemingly can no longer see through Micah's painfully transparent brown-nosing. At least not until it finally comes down to choosing Arthur or Micah and all he can end up doing is just walking away because he's completely lost the ability to see who is on his side and who isn't.

By the epilogue, what he says in American Venom suggests that he finally figured out or at least came to believe that Micah had been the rat all that time ago, and agreed to hook up with his gang to either con him but more likely kill him, only for John, Sadie and Charles to show up looking for revenge for Arthur (who didn't want it or need it) and confuse things even further.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I dislike the Dutch hitting his head thing because Dutch was always a piece of poo poo who wasn't as smart as he thought he was. Dutch was always going to destroy the gang. He didn't change when he hit his head.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Something I noticed on my second playthrough that I don't think I spotted on my first, there's a camp interaction where Micah is just fawning over Dutch in the most incredibly obvious way. After he leaves, Arthur asks Dutch if he is REALLY buying this bullshit, and Dutch rolls his eyes and tells Arthur that he's fully aware Micah is just kissing his rear end and isn't fooled in the slightest.

Given what we see across the six chapters, it really does seem like Dutch was starting to have real problems that were excarcabated both by stress and environment: in Blackwater it seems he was mostly working with Micah and things went off the rails including Dutch apparently murdering a woman quite brutally. Once they're in the first camp and then down to Valentine, with both Arthur and Hosea back in proximity helping run things, Arthur notes in his diary that Dutch seems like his old self again. His confidence is really up during chapter 2 and 3 which I think is when the aforementioned Micah interaction happens.

After the trolley crash, he can't stand to listen to Bronte's taunting and murders him, then you have Hosea's death (Lenny too, but Hosea hits him harder), the Guarma incident, they lose all the money, they end up in a swamp and get IMMEDIATELY jumped by the Pinkerton's again, he comes face to face with what he thinks is the personification of what he hates about America in Cornwall, and by the time they're holed up in that cave Dutch is so far gone he seemingly can no longer see through Micah's painfully transparent brown-nosing. At least not until it finally comes down to choosing Arthur or Micah and all he can end up doing is just walking away because he's completely lost the ability to see who is on his side and who isn't.

By the epilogue, what he says in American Venom suggests that he finally figured out or at least came to believe that Micah had been the rat all that time ago, and agreed to hook up with his gang to either con him but more likely kill him, only for John, Sadie and Charles to show up looking for revenge for Arthur (who didn't want it or need it) and confuse things even further.

Dunno if it's the same one but I go t one with Micah pressing Dutch about the Blackwater money and then I had Arthur talk to Dutch. Arthur says don't tell him a thing about the money and an exasperated Dutch says of course he won't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Pyle posted:

I started playing Red Dead Online just now. Already finished the main story and was wondering what to do next. I am not much of a gamer. RDO is my first ever online game that I've tried. And how much fun it has been for the last few days. I had no idea online players were such assholes, and I have loved every minute of it. Some of the daily challenges are so hilarious, when we should be progressing towards some common goal, but people just keep shooting each other. I just got killed 28 times in a 10 minute mission. I've just started and it is online from now on.

I play a lot of online.

Get the roles. Trader and moonshiner are great to stagger while you go off wandering doing random things like a series, or some mission, or be a collector/naturalist. Bounty hunter is cool, too.

The real goal is to get enough money to have a fabulous wardrobe.