Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Robot Style posted:

Coruscant is definitely a weird omission from the sequels, especially since it almost made it in a few times. Abrams originally wanted to blow it up in 7 before being told no and coming up with Hosnian instead. Then Trevorrow was going to include it in his version of 9 as the slum-ridden capitol of the First Order, and Abrams originally had it in his version of the movie as the site of Palaptine's resurrection before creating Exegol like two months before filming.
Given how much of the movie revolves around "how find Exegol?!??!?!" for everyone that timescale is really :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Robot Style posted:

I remember before Episode 9 came out, one of the more consistent fake leaks / fan theories was that the Resistance would bolster their army by reactivating an old droid factory. It could have been a nice way to bring things full circle and continue the "underdogs defeat a technologically superior enemy" theme by having the previously cutting edge droid army become the ragtag obsolete fighting force.

Coruscant is definitely a weird omission from the sequels, especially since it almost made it in a few times. Abrams originally wanted to blow it up in 7 before being told no and coming up with Hosnian instead. Then Trevorrow was going to include it in his version of 9 as the slum-ridden capitol of the First Order, and Abrams originally had it in his version of the movie as the site of Palaptine's resurrection before creating Exegol like two months before filming.

Rebels S4 should've ended with Kalani showing up with a droid army rather than space whalesquids :argh:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Vinylshadow posted:

Rebels S4 should've ended with Kalani showing up with a droid army rather than space whalesquids :argh:
I get the vibe that he's running the Droid Gotra that's mentioned in the books. Kind of hope he is because he's a fun robo-dude.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

ninjahedgehog posted:

Do they ever actually namedrop Hosnian in TFA? I remember walking out of the theater thinking they exploded Coruscant and getting corrected later by the Wook

I think they do say “Hosnian System,” but if you guess that Coruscant is one of the planets in that system, I don’t think anything in the film explicitly contradicts that

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Yes, it's only referred to as the Hosnian System. Even in the script and concept art, the planet is only referred to as Republic City or Republic Planet.

D'Qar and Ahch-To also aren't named in either TFA or TLJ, although the latter at least is named in the TFA script. Actually, Jakku, Exegol, and Crait are the only sequel planets named in the films that come to mind.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

That's par for the course though. Endor and Yavin are the names of planets, not the moons the movies actually visit. Hoth and Dagobah refer to the star systems - the individual worlds don't seem to have names. Tatooine also doesn't get mentioned by name until the very end of Empire, so casual viewers would have no idea where Luke's "rendezvous on Tatooine" even refers to.

It extends beyond planets, too. X-Wings and Star Destroyers aren't namedropped until Empire, and TIE Fighters don't get referred to as such until the battle of Endor. Unless you count the Holiday Special, Boba Fett's name doesn't get mentioned until Han knocks him into the Sarlacc, and the word "Ewok" is never said at all.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Chairman Capone posted:

Yes, it's only referred to as the Hosnian System. Even in the script and concept art, the planet is only referred to as Republic City or Republic Planet.

D'Qar and Ahch-To also aren't named in either TFA or TLJ, although the latter at least is named in the TFA script. Actually, Jakku, Exegol, and Crait are the only sequel planets named in the films that come to mind.

Don't forget about Kijimi! They blew up Kijimi, oh no!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I’m sure just about everyone who knows anything about SW assumed that it was Coruscant getting whacked when they first saw the movie.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Casimir Radon posted:

I’m sure just about everyone who knows anything about SW assumed that it was Coruscant getting whacked when they first saw the movie.

I assumed it wasn’t since they didn’t show any of the notable parts of the Courscant skyline from the prequels or say the name. I think they dropped the Hosnian system line just a few minutes later.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

This was my experience. I remember trying to think in the theater if the Disney canon had Coruscant in the Hosnian system.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

There was relatively little nu-canon stuff when the movie showed up so unless you were explicitly looking for leaks it was unlikely you knew anything about the Hosnian system. I think A New Dawn was really the only thing that was explicitly nu when it came out, and it was a Rebels prequel so it was very separate timeline wise.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

General Battuta posted:

Don't forget about Kijimi! They blew up Kijimi, oh no!
Desert party planet gets named, but even after playing that level in Lego Star Wars like two hours ago I can't remember what it is.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Arquinsiel posted:

Desert party planet gets named, but even after playing that level in Lego Star Wars like two hours ago I can't remember what it is.

Pasaana, as in "let's not pass up another sand planet"

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I finished my reread of Shatterpoint and I feel Stover ties things off a little to cleanly at the end. He throws a paragraph in that states the planetary milita has acTuAlLy been fighting the war above board this whole time and all the atrocities are the fault of the jungle prospectors.

Which runs counter to the earlier parts of the book where the planetary milita is described as shooting everything that moves including the herd animals.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Double posting because I blew through Kenobi in a few days and it was really good. Thanks to the goons who recommended it back in March! It’s nice to have a Star Wars story with low stakes.

Orrin’s fate is a great parallel to Anakin’s.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

It's crazy how much better the Kenobi book was than the Kenobi show. Although according to a few sources the initial outline for the show was much closer to the novel.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Wait so not only are Luke and friends fighting a Mindflayer but now that Mindflayer is THE [interim] loving SPACE PRESIDENT?!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

It's crazy how much better the Kenobi book was than the Kenobi show. Although according to a few sources the initial outline for the show was much closer to the novel.
Once BOBF went all Tusken heavy I was sure they wouldn’t borrow much of anything from the book.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

KOTOR remake has been 'indefinitely delayed' according to reports

Aspyr probably not the best choice of dev in retrospect lol

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Cross-Section posted:

KOTOR remake has been 'indefinitely delayed' according to reports

Aspyr probably not the best choice of dev in retrospect lol

They should bring in Hardsuit Labs to fix it

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Finished Wedge's Gamble of my read-through of the X-Wing Series of Books, some thoughts:

What was Wedge's titular gamble? Was it freeing the prisoners? Probably not, since that was something pushed by the New Republic High Command (and that went wrong exactly as expected and that honestly could have been cut from the book. The book seems to suggest that the whole "boiling off the water" plot was the Gamble, but it's not really clear, and that whole plot wasn't really something that Wedge cooked up. Was the Gamble supposed to be the crappy storyline of Tycho's potential betrayal? Also, having been spoiled on the answer to that question already, the whole Tycho thing seems extremely contrived in terms of trying to make him out to be the bad guy in various ways.

The book is fine overall, but honestly I don't pick up a book called X-Wing to read about a badly paced and plotted spy-thriller, or about ground combat, which isn't really as well written as the fighter combat. Even apart from that, the thing that annoys me the most is that the writer has really no idea of how big Coruscant truly is. I think it's hard to really be able to visualise how big a planet-wide city would truly be, but the writer delights in shattering that illusion at every chance he gets, and the worst culprit of this is when Corran wonders around and somehow manages to do the following:
- Find a bar where not only he finds Tycho and Loor (allegedly), but also has Zekka Thyne. The chances of this, considering how big Coruscant is, are pretty small, but whatever, it's fine in terms of the story.
- Once he tries to escape, he manages to crash one of the speeders that are following him into a safe house, where some Rogues are.
- After that, he manages to go to the Alien Combine, where some more Rogues are.

I can only suspend my disbelief so much. The chance of all those events happening are just astronomically low, considering the size of Coruscant. I know it's a bit nit-picky, but it kind of took me away from the book and the scale of the place. I mean, Coruscant is not only huge in the terms of being spread over an entire planet, but it's also incredibly large vertically as well. Overall, not a strong showing.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I was thinking about planetary scale recently when someone made a point about London in that even though it's a huge city you probably don't really go outside the small area that you know unless you have to or you're making a point of trying new stuff. Coruscant-scale cities would likely be similar. Travel from point A to point B still takes time, so you're not going to waste eight hours on the hyper-tube just to get noodles at that one place.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I will say in slight defense that I think the Coruscant verticality was an invention of TPM. From the 90s EU sources, I think Coruscant was much less built up in terms of continuous 1300 floor tall skyscrapers.

On a completely different note, the preview for the Han & Leia wedding book has Luke and Leia talking about Anakin/Vader, which made me think back to The Truce at Bakura where Anakin's ghost appears to Leia, which I always thought was a great scene. I know Anakin also appears in an issue of the Legacy comic, but does his ghost ever appear anywhere else in the EU? I think he shows up in one of the NJO books, but I can't remember for sure.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Anakin shows up to Jacen a couple times in NJO -- the first time Jacen doesn't realize who he is, but the second time is at the very end when he defeats Onimi.

Kind of a missed opportunity not to have him show up for a chat with Kylo Ren in the sequels tbh -- would have been a fun wrinkle in that Kylo idolizes Vader but Anakin himself is literally right there telling him no, this is a bad idea, nobody has more firsthand experience in this kind of thing than me. I'm sure Hayden would have been down for it

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Chairman Capone posted:

I will say in slight defense that I think the Coruscant verticality was an invention of TPM. From the 90s EU sources, I think Coruscant was much less built up in terms of continuous 1300 floor tall skyscrapers.

It changed a bit over time in the EU.

The WEG book for Heir to the Empire gives the population at 5B and suggests that while the Imperial City is a massive, multi-layered city it occupies "only" one continent and that other areas of the planets are less built up.

The Special Edition sourcebook puts the population at 10B, but has the surface almost entirely covered by cityscape "several km deep" (the population density absolutely does not make sense).

And the one for Shadows of the Empire put the population at 650B, which more or less becomes the accepted figure for a time.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Aug 2, 2022

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Chairman Capone posted:

On a completely different note, the preview for the Han & Leia wedding book has Luke and Leia talking about Anakin/Vader, which made me think back to The Truce at Bakura where Anakin's ghost appears to Leia, which I always thought was a great scene. I know Anakin also appears in an issue of the Legacy comic, but does his ghost ever appear anywhere else in the EU? I think he shows up in one of the NJO books, but I can't remember for sure.

He does appear in two of NJO novels to give Jacen some words of encouragement. Although I don't think he takes a visible form.

He pops up briefly in one of the Dark Forces novelizations too, but does not speak.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
In Dark Apprentice Coruscant still has polar ice caps and Han and Kyo go hover skiing down the slopes next to some giant planetary weather control stations. They also survive an avalanche.

The Jedi Academy Trilogy is very silly and I love it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Just because you've built on the whole surface doesn't mean the snow won't land on the buildings :shrug:

Chairman Capone posted:

Nah, Monument Plaza was first mentioned in 1995.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
No I mean they didn't build on the whole surface. The poles had mountains and were mentioned being some of the very few places left on the planet that weren't covered by urban sprawl.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
You can’t build at the poles silly. You would be spinning so fast you’d get dizzy

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Arc Hammer posted:

No I mean they didn't build on the whole surface. The poles had mountains and were mentioned being some of the very few places left on the planet that weren't covered by urban sprawl.
Monument Plaza is the last mountain peak left above the surface. You can walk down and touch it if you like.

Jim the Nickel
Mar 2, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
Posting ITT to say Brotherhood was really good! Well, see ya.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Arquinsiel posted:

Monument Plaza is the last mountain peak left above the surface. You can walk down and touch it if you like.

well, all of the manarai mountains. that's where xizor goes to eat fleek eels while gazing upon "undespoiled" "nature"

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Jazerus posted:

well, all of the manarai mountains. that's where xizor goes to eat fleek eels while gazing upon "undespoiled" "nature"
Monunment Plaza is the only bit of that range above the surface, so that tracks.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I always liked Monument Plaza as something to really help sell the scale of Coruscant (even if it's not realistic) - just having towering buildings surrounding a rock that used to be the largest thing on the planet is a cool visual.

The version they put in Clone Wars is another interesting take on it. Rather than making it some grand important space where everything around it was cleared away to make sure people can see it, it's just kind of clustered in with other tourist attractions like restaurants & shops, and could easily be overlooked if you weren't trying to find it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UchF0sEv-Iw

I've been on a Kotor 2 kick lately. This video came up and despite most star wars channels leaving me wary of hyperbole and gushing video titles I gave it a watch. It's a good summary of why Nihilus and the rest of the antagonists in Kotor 2 are so thematically effective even if the mechanics of the games combat don't sell them very well as threats.

And now I'm depressed about the MMO again for giving answers where none were needed.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

On a related note, the KOTOR remake is reportedly on indefinite delay after several of its team were fired.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

On a related note, the KOTOR remake is reportedly on indefinite delay after several of its team were fired.
I was a bit concerned that it was too big a project for Aspyr since they’re mainly known for doing Mac ports. Looks like I might have been right.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Good, imo. Let it lie and remain as is. The trend of making full remakes of old games was cute at the start and now it's exhausting. A bug fix, a resolution upscale and a fresh coat of paint are fine but the Kotor 1 remake trailer left me feeling the same way I felt any time Thrawn was mentioned in the post Bantam books. Nuance replaced with hyperbole. Revan is da greatestest Sith jedi ever he uses a purple Saber because it's light and dark!

So I'm not too broken up about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Arc Hammer posted:

Good, imo. Let it lie and remain as is. The trend of making full remakes of old games was cute at the start and now it's exhausting. A bug fix, a resolution upscale and a fresh coat of paint are fine but the Kotor 1 remake trailer left me feeling the same way I felt any time Thrawn was mentioned in the post Bantam books. Nuance replaced with hyperbole. Revan is da greatestest Sith jedi ever he uses a purple Saber because it's light and dark!

So I'm not too broken up about it.

Ahem. I'm in the room, you know.