Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Reuters confirms that WB is planning to announce "a new strategy" for streaming today on their public media and earnings call.

- HBOMax is officially dead and will be folded into Discovery+, they are considering giving Discovery+ a new name after the merge.

- They are not only eliminating the scripted content streaming division, but also the unscripted streaming content division at HBOMax to fold it into the existing unscripted content division at Discovery.

- Firm commitments to no streaming exclusive movies or same day streaming release ever going forward.

- Considering (but, not confirmed) a new free, but ad-supported, streaming service for WB's "classic" movies.

- All the media departments (movie, TV, digital, and gaming) will be vertically integrated and working together to create tie-in content for big IPs they own. Also looking into how to merge/tie-in departments that exist at both Discovery and Warner.

- They plan to slash executive compensation, engage in a wave of layoffs, and find ways to cancel expensive long-term contracts that the previous management signed (particularly the $250 million exclusivity deal with JJ Abrams and his production company).

- They have hired back the former WB Studio Executive who worked on Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings to help guide the movie division. They want to focus exclusively on huge blockbusters and existing IP that does not require them to pay a license to make fewer movies, but safer and larger profits per project, with the movie division.

quote:

Warner Bros Discovery expected to unveil new streaming strategy

Warner Bros Discovery Inc (WBD.O) is expected to discuss the new streaming strategy for the merged company on Thursday when it reports second-quarter earnings, four sources familiar with the plans told Reuters.

The company is likely to provide additional details about its plans to bring together the HBO Max service's collection of dramas, comedies, movies with the reality programs of Discovery+. The pricing and the name for the new streaming service are still being debated internally, according to two sources familiar with the discussions. The name and the pricing are unlikely to be announced on Thursday.

Warner Bros Discovery also is considering free, ad-supported services that would exist alongside its subscription service, though no announcement is planned. One source said among the ideas being discussed is a service built on Warner Bros' library of classic movies, which currently attract little notice inside HBO Max.

The plans are the culmination of CEO David Zaslav and his team's examination of WarnerMedia's film, television, digital and gaming businesses since the deal closed on April 8. The executives were seeking to understand how these units work and how best to combine WarnerMedia's operations with those of Discovery, said one executive familiar with the process.

Areas of overlap - such as the unscripted television unit behind such HBO Max reality shows as "FBoy Island" and "The Hype" - are likely to be eliminated, given Discovery's strength in the television genre, said the executive, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

Layoffs are expected in the coming months, two of the sources said, as Zaslav looks to cut costs and deliver the $3 billion in savings he promised investors once the merger closed.

The company's famously frugal CEO, David Zaslav, also has evaluated executive compensation and put talent pacts under a microscope. One such deal that received scrutiny was the $250 million agreement WarnerMedia struck in 2019 to become the exclusive home of filmmaker J.J. Abrams and his production company, Bad Robot. It walked away from "Demimonde," a science fiction series for HBO with an estimated $200 million budget.

For help in evaluating its motion picture business, Zaslav hired former Warner Bros studio president Alan Horn, who oversaw the "Harry Potter" and "Lord of the Rings" franchises, as a consultant to help shape strategy.

Warner Bros Discovery is pivoting away form expensive, direct-to-streaming movies like "Batgirl," a $90 million movie based on the DC Comics character and featured "In the Heights" star Leslie Grace and Michael Keaton as Batman.

The film was scheduled for HBO Max later this year. But the studio scrapped the film after negative feedback from test screenings suggested it needed more work - an added expense the studio was unwilling to incur, according to one source with knowledge of the decision.

In the future, big-budget movies will enjoy a traditional theatrical run before reaching the streaming service, said one person familiar with Zaslav's thinking, marking a big change from the previous regime.

Analysts expect Warner Bros Discovery to report second- quarter revenue of $11.84 billion and per-share earnings of 1 cent, according to Refinitiv data.

https://www.reuters.com/business/media-telecom/warner-bros-discovery-expected-unveil-new-streaming-strategy-2022-08-04/

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Aug 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

Nah, I'm judging them on the fact that the 45 year old is clearly a loser

I'm 43, single, mostly fit and athletically active, live in a loft downtown, have no kids, no baggage, am relatively well off and can travel at a moment's notice anywhere.

I don't meet many 43 year olds in similar positions.* I basically live like I'm in my 20s, only with more financial freedom (age = further in career), because most people my age have a ton of baggage due to having been married once or multiple times, having kids, having a house, having health and weight issues (weight and health means they stop doing more active things or playing sports, etc.), etc. Like I said earlier, dating in your 40s becomes a mess because of the large variance of life situations. My Bumble/etc. is set at my age and it's a gigantic dumpster fire. I typically don't *date* people in their twenties because it's annoying, but that's what you end up around in general when it comes to doing things when you're relatively free as you get older.

Actors are often in similar situations due to acting and what comes with it, including keeping your looks as you age and financial freedom. It's like the opposite of "loser," they just stayed younger in a lot of ways than their peers, so they end up with younger because people's standards typically stay par to near what they are.

This is different than cases in which people groom teens to be their lovers, which is just disgusting.

*edit: I probably would in NYC, Chicago, or LA downtown, to be fair - it's just not common as you get out of the larger cities

Darko fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Aug 4, 2022

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Okay.

You do realize that saying that you live like you're in your 20s and you're not willing to date someone with baggage isn't helping your point, right?

e:

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

- Firm commitments to no streaming exclusive movies or same day streaming release ever going forward.

So does this confirm that the Venture Bros. movie is canceled?

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Aug 4, 2022

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Reuters confirms that WB is planning to announce "a new strategy" for streaming today on their public media and earnings call.

- They are not only eliminating the scripted content streaming division, but also the unscripted streaming content division at HBOMax to fold it into the existing unscripted content division at Discovery.

I know about James Gunn's post, but this doesn't sound good for Peacemaker. It sounds like they're shitcanning all scripted content, from this, yes?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

if they are both consenting who gives a gently caress. Jesus christ, get a loving life.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

tbh at this point I wouldn't assume anything is safe unless it gets explicitly stated. poo poo sucks!

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

thrawn527 posted:

I know about James Gunn's post, but this doesn't sound good for Peacemaker. It sounds like they're shitcanning all scripted content, from this, yes?

That's for in-house studio stuff. Peacekeeper is gunns, every movie studio has in-house writers who come up with projects. The part pertaining to gunn and other creatives, would be the part talking about getting out of expensive contracts with JJ Abrams, who has nothing to show for his future projects. venture Bros might be in trouble, but it's an animation, so if it's in production it might cost more to cancel that than finish.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Aug 4, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

feedmyleg posted:

They haven't had the media/earnings call yet, but I doubt they are making announcements about specific projects there. Nothing is firm on stuff that is already in development or finished. A lot of it has been cancelled and shelved already, but a lot of it is still officially on.

thrawn527 posted:

It says they are moving away from streaming exclusive scripted content. They will still have scripted content that airs on HBO or is syndicated.

As you mentioned, Gunn has said he has been told that Season 2 of Peacemaker is safe. But, after that is :shrug:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

feedmyleg posted:

You do realize that saying that you live like you're in your 20s and you're not willing to date someone with baggage isn't helping your point, right?

"Baggage" in your forties is a hell of a lot bigger than "baggage" in your 20s, from what I've seen and heard. It appears that age is the real low point because in your 50s and 60s the kids have grown up and things are settled. I think I saw a study recently that named the 40s as people's most miserable time in life, too. Don't remember where though.

Also, RIP HBO Max, I liked it.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

RIP HBO MAX, gave us ZSJL then blew away like leaves in the wind.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

josh04 posted:

I still think it’s funny that the story about him supposedly conning $70,000,000 out of the studio to finish his version of JL was supposed to make me hate him and sympathize with the studio.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

josh04 posted:

You flew too close to the sun. Now look at you.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

Okay.

e:

No, I honestly, have no idea what you're talking about. Some people want to nest, some people want freedom. Baggage isn't a default negative; it's things that hold back relative freedom. in America, people in their 20s tend to be far more free than those in their 40s because most people get married/have kids/buy houses/stuff by their 30s or make lifestyle choices that start limiting them physically.

It seems like you're buying into the too common idea that you have to do that stuff by 40, in which case, hell no, you don't.

edit: HBO Max was the best streaming service with the best original content (2 is Amazon). This is sad.

Darko fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Aug 4, 2022

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
That really sucks about HBO Max. The Max Originals delivered some really strong content, and their library overall was really good. The app itself is trash, but hopefully some of these titles disappearing reappear on Discovery.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Can Criterion or Mubi or whoever cares about quality and isn't owned by a giant conglomerate get into originals, please? I'll take ShoutFactoryTV or whatever if they all are.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
RIP to probably the best streaming service so far, too good for this world

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
I’m sorry I mentioned Zach Braff

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
this is probably the most detailed and disturbing report yet on Ezra Miller, jeez

https://twitter.com/DanaSchusterNYC/status/1555151127909376002

I imagine WB is hoping (praying) for an Ansel Elgort/West Side Story situation where the allegations have faded from the headlines by the time The Flash is released, but that seems increasingly unlikely

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Ansles situation was a one and done, Ezras is a slow continuous drip of crazy.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I do wish that coverage of Ezra being a self-destructive creep wasn’t always paired with images of them looking fierce. There are tons of photos you can find of Ezra looking masculine and like a goober, and pairing stories of their kidnappings with the most provocative red carpet fashion is a bit annoying.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Reading that article, it's more of a tidal wave, jesus

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/ign/status/1555000872727240704?s=21&t=Kr1Pcr-PKts93vKfx1gSdQ

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Welp. That probably fills in one of the 8 blanks they are going to announce at D23 next month.

Gonna be interesting to see Chloe Zhao make a movie about a magical space troll and a pansexual alien whose superpower is making everyone horny and want to gently caress him.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Eternals Revenge of Kingo

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fried Watermelon posted:

Eternals Revenge of Kingo

Return of the Kingo

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

we did it, team!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I hope they resurrect Kingo.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Barry Convex posted:

we did it, team!

Were all of those people really in the movie? I saw it but I swear the team was only 4 or 5 people.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Jose Oquendo posted:

Were all of those people really in the movie? I saw it but I swear the team was only 4 or 5 people.

Two of them die, two of them are villains, and one of them abandons them at the climax.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
lmao I only recently finished Eternals, feels like it took me ten months to watch it.

It was OK.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Jose Oquendo posted:

I know the movie was extremely forgettable, but the team was obviously more than 4 or 5 people. The big trailer shot of the team didn't have 10 people, but it had 8. A big part of the marketing was that this was a big team.

This one is on you, not the very bad, forgettable movie. Which it definitely was.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Eternals was the definition of "fine."

It also felt like it was simultaneously too long and too short.

There are some really cool set pieces and effects, the heel-turn is pretty well done, some of the actors give great performances, the Celestials look amazing and they really nail the display of the scale and how massive they are in a way that most movies can't.

But, several of the characters are just red shirts to get killed, Kit Harrington had nothing to do, and structuring the movie as a 20-minute opening, 2 hours of flashbacks to backstory, and a 15-minute climax was a terrible idea for pacing. I get that there is an inherent challenge to introducing at least 12 characters and their backstories in a movie while keeping a brisk pace, but the middle really drags.

Also, this may just be me because it isn't a common criticism, but child actors are usually the worst parts of movies. The girl in Eternals is good for a child actor, but it feels a little painful when she is doing scenes with Jolie, Hayek, and Madden, who do a much better job.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
https://twitter.com/ladygaga/status/1555222357882458114/

Joker sequel confirmed.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Eternals isn't nearly as bad as its Rotten Tomatoes score would suggest, but it manages to feel both too ambitious and not ambitious enough at the same time; there are just too many characters introduced and too much backstory for a single film to tackle them satisfyingly, and Zhao's more interesting attempts to deviate from the Marvel Studios house style seldom feel like they go far enough.

if it had to be a movie instead of a Disney+ series, it should have taken the Cloud Atlas approach of continuously cross-cutting between different time periods, but Disney would never have greenlit that

officially announcing this the same day as WBD's second-quarter results is probably not a coincidence. it's also ironic, given that Zaslav would almost certainly never have greenlit Joker in the first place, as he apparently thinks every DC film should be a $200m spectacle

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Aug 4, 2022

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Timeless Appeal posted:

I do wish that coverage of Ezra being a self-destructive creep wasn’t always paired with images of them looking fierce. There are tons of photos you can find of Ezra looking masculine and like a goober, and pairing stories of their kidnappings with the most provocative red carpet fashion is a bit annoying.

Again, you have to wonder about the reasoning behind this.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

thrawn527 posted:

I know the movie was extremely forgettable, but the team was obviously more than 4 or 5 people. The big trailer shot of the team didn't have 10 people, but it had 8. A big part of the marketing was that this was a big team.

This one is on you, not the very bad, forgettable movie. Which it definitely was.

I don't remember what most of the people in that picture did.

I do remember (not pictured) Kingo Pissfingers, Angelina Jolie is literally brain damaged, the white guy in the middle is like Superman(?), and the black dude invented the atom bomb. Oh, and the kid was upset about something. And then I remember Blade saying something off screen.

Talk about a forgettable movie.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Where's Kingo?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Here's the real Joker news:

https://twitter.com/VeraDrew22/status/1555213860373532672

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Tankbuster posted:

Where's Kingo?

They don't include him in the group shots because whenever Kingo is not on screen, all the other characters are asking, "Where's Kingo?" It is a huge crowd pleaser, so they find ways to orchestrate him being excluded from the group shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I'm just going to assume Deadpool 3 and Eternals 2 are two of the unannounced phase 6 projects. Spider-Man 5 also probably will be. Wonder if phase 6 has X-Men or Shang Chi 2.