Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

That's literally the argument I'm making, though. You all just are hung up on me disrespecting the tall piles of rock.

I don't give a poo poo what you think about the climb, but okay. I'm going off what's said in the post. We have one side, and people can theorize all they want about what really is going on and what the girlfriend really wants. But all we have is one side of the story that absolutely doesn't say those things. He might be neglecting his girlfriend, she might be jealous he's spending all this time with Rosie, or she might be an idiot who thinks she climbed some relatively easy climbs and therefore these ones are perfectly doable Right Now. It could be any of those things and isn't definitively any one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I will spend time with your best friend so we could condition ourselves to climb what would otherwise be dangerous, and exclude you from that training so I can then absolutely rationally, with respect to the holy mountains of Rainier and Denali, tell you that you just can't go there because it's unsafe. I am a great responsible Climber Man :angel:
You know, there is the option that he knew Rosie and had been training/climbing with her before the girlfriend came into the picture and the girlfriend also wanted to jump into a planned Ranier trip without adequate prep as well. Like, go back in time and maybe she thinks that because she did Mts Hood and Adam's that she can do Ranier, which is also a very bad idea.

It's not a given that he excluded her from their own prep work. Though he does seem spectacularly uninterested in encouraging a shared interest, assuming girlfriend actually does want to climb at a high level as well.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

AngryRobotsInc posted:

she might be an idiot who thinks she climbed some relatively easy climbs and therefore these ones are perfectly doable Right Now.

Nope! He himself says otherwise!

quote:

She’s very mad that me and Rosie exclude her from these trips, (“how will she learn if I don’t teach her, etc.”)

Ravenfood posted:

You know, there is the option that he knew Rosie and had been training/climbing with her before the girlfriend came into the picture

quote:

My girlfriend’s friend, Rosie, and I turn out to both love mountaineering!
He met her through his girlfriend. Otherwise he'd say "my girlfriend and I have a mutual friend, Rosie, who I met through mountaineering", or any other number of ways that would indicate that he met Rosie first.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BrigadierSensible posted:

Mountain climbing is hard. Climbing Denali is very hard. Nobody is disputing that.

The girlfriend can climb mountains, but is not accomplished/experienced/skillful enough of a mountain climber to attempt Denali. Again, nobody is disputing this.

AA appears to be, at considerable length.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Lots of mountaineers climb regularly with people not their romantic partners, sometimes spending a considerable amount of time with them and becoming very close. This is not always a problem for their non-climbing partners, but sometimes it is. Maria Coffey wrote a really good book on the experiences of the partners of top-level mountaineers called "Where the Mountain Casts Its Shadow" - it talks about the selfishness of mountaineering when you have a family, dealing with loved ones dying in the mountains, jealousy about your partner going off with someone else while you're left behind, and also some weird stuff like marrying your dead climbing partner's wife. Coffey's own husband was a pro mountaineer who died on Everest.

Anyway it sounds like for the GF in this instance it is an issue, and not really because of Rosie so much as that she feels excluded while he's spending so much time preparing for the big trip. Maybe the OP could reduce his own ambitions while training up his GF, but it doesn't really sound like she has the same aims as him and finding a climbing partner who has similar ability, goals, and with whom you climb well is really tough and quite often not the same kind of person you want as your romantic partner. Maybe they can get through this period by agreeing to spend time on easier stuff afterwards, or take up bouldering together or something. Otherwise it sounds like he has to decide if the relationship or his mountaineering is more important.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
People are allowed to have hobbies separate from their partners. They can even be the same type of hobby if one of them does it casually and the other competitively. There are ways of mutually enjoying the hobby (and further challenging the less skilled person) without asking the advanced person to pump the brakes on their own drive.

I do/did a lot of tramping myself, and most of my tramping mates have couples in different levels of fitness (for a wide definition of fitness - not just cardio). The couples are always doing stuff together, with the aggro person running off to do mountaineering with their peers, nobody's bitter about anything. Heck, one guy flew across the globe to do a 5 day run in the Sahara (wtc!) and his gf was cheerfully supporting him. The levels of training to raise yourself to raise yourself to proper mountaineering cannot be understated - it's not some small thing that your partner has you tag along for every weekend, it's your own personal journey that they support you on.

The post is short and lacking details, such as the width of their gap (can the gf do those hills trivially and is looking for more challenge, or was that the bf supporting her already?), the amount of other tramping they do together and/or how long they've been together and so know know each other's levels, etc. The bf might be acting selfish, but I get the impression that the gf is new to the situation and doesn't 'get' it. Hard to tell.

BUT! I think we can all agree that Absurd Alhazred is once again talking out of his rear end about something he knows absolutely nothing about.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I didn't even know they changed Mt McKinley's name to Denali.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Serephina posted:

BUT! I think we can all agree that Absurd Alhazred is once again talking out of his rear end about something he knows absolutely nothing about.

The part of the OP that you don't care about/are incapable of reading isn't my rear end.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

When they were in college my parents went to Rainer together. It was a rainy day, most of the people at the lodge were grumbling about the weather, but my parents went out hiking anyway. I don't know what trail they took (they got up to Camp Muir at some point, might not have been that day) but they got up above the cloud cover into clear sun and breathtaking views. So everyone in the lodge is huddled around a fire, in walk two sunburned twenty-somethings talking about how amazing it was out there.

Anyway that's my (inherited) mountain climbing story. I've gone up Wheeler in NM but that's one you can walk to the top of and the only hard part is the altitude and not getting eaten by marmots (do not feed the marmots, when they know you have food the whole clan shows up).

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Midnight Voyager posted:

I hope you enjoyed your long nap, also you may want to sit down while I bring you up to speed on the world

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Captain Hygiene posted:

I hope you enjoyed your long nap, also you may want to sit down while I bring you up to speed on the world

Look, I may have known once for all I know, but Trump Time and Covid Time have obliterated my memory.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

No, no, don't tell them about Uluru

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Cowslips Warren posted:

EFB.

Mine was better, I spoilered the feet part.

AITA for my Reaction to my Husband telling me he may have brought a Bag of Guns Home

I searched for this reddit thread and the first thing that came up was a domestic violence hotline. :smith:

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I would like to know more!

https://www.mangashakespeare.com/titles/king_lear.html

"Manga Shakespeare" sounds like a godawful combination but illustration 5 is based off a moderately well-known painting of Johnson Hall in Johnsonville NY. Whoever did that, did their loving research.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Barudak posted:

No, no, don't tell them about Uluru

That one got me for a while. "They're talking about some other massive rock in Australia? Why does nobody mention it alongside Ayers?"

And by "for a while" I mean "until just now."

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

trickybiscuits posted:

https://www.mangashakespeare.com/titles/king_lear.html

"Manga Shakespeare" sounds like a godawful combination but illustration 5 is based off a moderately well-known painting of Johnson Hall in Johnsonville NY. Whoever did that, did their loving research.

Huh! I think I saw the original at the Albany Institute of History and Art!

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for asking my brother to evict my parents because they've asked me to give up my room to my step sister?

the loving gall of these loving people. the brother sounds like a solid guy

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Bruceski posted:

That one got me for a while. "They're talking about some other massive rock in Australia? Why does nobody mention it alongside Ayers?"

And by "for a while" I mean "until just now."

drat I haven't heard Ayers in like over a decade. Anticolonialism works

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
AITA for wearing my engagement ring on the necklace over neck

quote:

I am a medical worker and I got engaged to Mt fiancé 2 weeks ago. He bought me gorgeous ring with small black diamond I really wanted.

The problem is that I often wear gloves at work and the ring started to tear them apart. Also we are not allowed to have fake nails, rings or watches at work because it's hard to disinfect. So I went to the jewelery store and bought decent necklace from white gold and put the ring on it so I can have it with me at work.

I wore it like that for few days and my fiance noticed. He asked me why I don't have my ring. So I showed him the necklace with the ring and explained him the problem. He said that I could take it down at the beginning of the day and when I finish at work I can put it on. I told him that I would be afraid to lose it. He just left the room and has been silent since. When I opened the debate again he told me that je made effort to pick THE ring and I don't even wear it now and it hurts him.

So AITA?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Clearly needs more training to handle Mt Fiancé

Flora Finching
Sep 10, 2009

:drat:

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for not wearing a bra to sleep on family vacation

quote:

I (F16) had gone through puberty at a young age and have grown in places. My parents know I choose to stay comfortable and not wear a bra to sleep as I cover myself with a sweater or a oversized shirt at home.

My mother’s side of the family decided to rent an airbnb and do thanksgiving together in 2021. I have two female cousins near the same age as me and are developing as well and one male cousin my age also. My aunt (F45) commented on my body hair and my breasts while I was swimming saying “Your boobs shouldn’t be sagging already you’re only 15) I defended myself and snapped back saying “Implants sag over time you know” and she stormed off.

The next day everyone is eating dinner in different areas of the house when my female cousin (F15 at the time) went to get water and came back to the table in tears. My cousins and I were all confused and my aunt stormed over and yelled at me for convincing my female cousins it’s okay to not wear a bra to sleep. My older sister (F21) stuck up for me and my cousins and my aunt proceeded to take her shirt and bra off during dinner in front of my other aunt and her husband. She then asked me how I would feel if my male cousins didn’t wear boxers and I replied I would never know because I don’t sexualize my cousins. She got even more upset and said that’ll be the last time we saw her or my cousin. Am I in the wrong?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Hughlander posted:

Again, trash taking itself out.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Cacator posted:

r/relationships: This is the cum jar now!

Few pages back but I can't help hearing this in the Lord Farquaad voice from that x-rated video

"Give me the cum jar"

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Pomme de Terror posted:

AITA for wearing my engagement ring on the necklace over neck

Gotta love the simple stories of a man having a meltdown over the most trivial poo poo.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Hughlander posted:

There are people who wear a bra to bed? That must be so drat uncomfortable.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If your man's ring has to be worn on a chain lest you be tempted to put it on your finger and destroy middle earth, girl that ain't your man thats Sauron

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Midnight Voyager posted:

Oh man, it is legit hilarious how it came about. Everybody in Alaska has wanted to revert the name back to Denali for a long time, but a bipartisan group of congressmen from Ohio were vehemently opposed to doing that because William McKinley was from Ohio. For forty years Ohio's congressional designation took advantage of a loophole in the law that stated the Board of Geographic Names wasn't allowed to consider renaming any landmark that was currently the subject of any pending legislation so at the start of every term of Congress one of them would propose a bill that specifically mentioned "Mt. McKinley" and then left it in pending status all term.

This loophole worked for forty years, and then the Obama administration found ANOTHER loophole that said if the Board of Geographic Names didn't make a ruling on a proposed change within a "reasonable" timeframe, then the Secretary of the Interior had the power to unilaterally make the decision. And since 40 years isn't "reasonable", it's back to Denali.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Haschel Cedricson posted:

Oh man, it is legit hilarious how it came about. Everybody in Alaska has wanted to revert the name back to Denali for a long time, but a bipartisan group of congressmen from Ohio were vehemently opposed to doing that because William McKinley was from Ohio. For forty years Ohio's congressional designation took advantage of a loophole in the law that stated the Board of Geographic Names wasn't allowed to consider renaming any landmark that was currently the subject of any pending legislation so at the start of every term of Congress one of them would propose a bill that specifically mentioned "Mt. McKinley" and then left it in pending status all term.

This loophole worked for forty years, and then the Obama administration found ANOTHER loophole that said if the Board of Geographic Names didn't make a ruling on a proposed change within a "reasonable" timeframe, then the Secretary of the Interior had the power to unilaterally make the decision. And since 40 years isn't "reasonable", it's back to Denali.

Lmao how is this country real

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Haschel Cedricson posted:

That's AMAZING. And completely stupid, but amazing.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
WIBTA if I requested a different teacher for my 2nd daughter over something that happened five years ago?

quote:

There's a lot of backstory I can get into, but it'll make the post super long so for the sake of size, I'm going to try and TL'DR it.

TLDR of 5 years ago: My then 9-year-old daughter started puberty earlier than others her age, and body odor was a problem; foot smell also runs in my family.

We started using foot powder for her shoes, but sometimes it didn't help, and she habitually bounced her foot when working. Being young, she loved wearing flats to school and was in the class of RT (Rude Teacher).

RT pulled my daughter aside before recess and told her that she needed to keep her shoes on because she was "making the classroom stink" and then days later called out my child's name in front of the entire class, prompting my child to put her foot down, the teacher thanked her and went on teaching.

When I pointed out how embarrassing that was for a 9-year-old who doesn't have control of her body smells right now the teacher was very blazé about the situation and how she'd handled it, and it gave my daughter body issues that she's still dealing with (She's going into 9th grade now). I've never forgiven RT or gotten over

Now: In May requests for the upcoming school year were sent out, I requested my second daughter (D2) not be put in RT's class. I didn't go into detail as to why, just requested she not be in RT's class. Teachers were posted today and lo and behold D2 is in RT's class.

D2 has ADHD, gets very emotional very easily, and from what I heard from a friend who subbed for RT's class last year it was a poo poo show. I have my reservations on how well RT would be able to handle D2 or if there would be a similar situation of embarrassment for her.

Would I be the rear end in a top hat if I emailed the principal and asked her to move D2 to the other teacher's class before school starts? I don't want to make her work harder, but I also don't like the approach of "Eh just wait and see what happens."

My husband, however, feels that we should give RT another shot, because we will have 2 other kids going into her class in the future (if she's still teaching) and we can't always ask for special placement because of something that happened 5 years ago.

So...WIBTA?

DocCynical
Jan 9, 2003

That is not possible just now

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA flipping out on my fiance for cancelling all the vegan food options from our wedding food menu behind my back?

A great start to a great marriage.

You know for a fact that the salad they would offer would be a premixed Caesar salad covered in cheese, too.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
There's occasionally some noise made about reverting Mount Rainier to a native name, but the various tribes can't agree whether it's Tacoma, Tahoma, Talol, Tacobet, or Tacobeh, and the most popular choice is also the name of a crappy city, so we're stuck with a mountain named after a random British admiral that never saw it.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Cerekk posted:

There's occasionally some noise made about reverting Mount Rainier to a native name, but the various tribes can't agree whether it's Tacoma, Tahoma, Talol, Tacobet, or Tacobeh, and the most popular choice is also the name of a crappy city, so we're stuck with a mountain named after a random British admiral that never saw it.

and let's be honest, if we named the mountain "Mt. Tacobeh" there would be no end to the burrito jokes

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
they should rename it tacobell

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

Serephina posted:

I do/did a lot of tramping myself, and most of my tramping mates have couples in different levels of fitness (for a wide definition of fitness - not just cardio). The couples are always doing stuff together, with the aggro person running off to do mountaineering with their peers, nobody's bitter about anything. Heck, one guy flew across the globe to do a 5 day run in the Sahara (wtc!) and his gf was cheerfully supporting him. The levels of training to raise yourself to raise yourself to proper mountaineering cannot be understated - it's not some small thing that your partner has you tag along for every weekend, it's your own personal journey that they support you on.

My partner and I hike together on smaller walks, she knows that she isn't fit enough for longer stuff so we compromise and communicate.

An old friend of mine mountaineers and it is absolutely a lifestyle that consumes everything else, every month he doesn't climb is dieting and training for the next mountain. It got him to quit drinking, but I'm not sure if it's exactly a healthier long term alternative

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Cowslips Warren posted:

WIBTA if I requested a different teacher for my 2nd daughter over something that happened five years ago?

Def no, and it’s waaaay easier to make changes pre school year so I say go for it. You don’t have to let two kids get traumatized by the same teacher before you just go “nahhh”

curlingiron
Dec 15, 2006

b l o o p

Cowslips Warren posted:

NTA, just do it quick before too many other parents make the request and it gets denied because RT’s class isn’t allowed to get any smaller.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Party Sub Guy has a challenger!

AITAH for eating the last of the chicken?

quote:

Yo, sorry I'm on mobile. Its a throw cuz my fam uses reddit.

I'm 19M

I live with my dad and my three siblings, last night my dad ordered us all chicken wings from BWW. He got 2 orders of 30 wings, so 60 between the 5 of us. I ate like 20. My whole family has always been fat. Idk why, I just got the fastest metabolism out of all of them, and I'll be the first to admit I eat pretty horribly lmao. I don't really exercise either, and I can tell that my siblings kinda hate me for it. They usually all eat healthy and exercise and poo poo but they're still fat af. Think like, 300 at 5'3.

Anyway my dad got us wings, like I said I had 20 or so when we all first ate. Then like an hour later I got hungry again so I just ate the rest. There was like 10 left, and if the 4 of them couldn't eat them then I figured they were up for grabs. Well, my younger brother went to get some more and saw the box in the trash. He kinda broke down? And said he's sick of me eating all the "good food" but not getting yelled at for it. Which, thats not even on me, i dont control what my dad does. I told him he doesn't need those 10 extra wings, but he said he was "starving" since he's been on this super strict diet and this was his cheat day. I said It wasn't my problem, and he got my other brothers to agree with him and say they're tired of all the unfair treatment they get from our dad. They said that I eat way worse than them (true) and I never go outside to work out (also true, I dont work out like, at all) and that I only get treated like a good kid cuz I'm skinny.

After that I went to my room I didn't wanna listen to that poo poo. Its not my problem they're overweight. But I told my gf and some friends about what happened and they agreed with my siblings?? They said I was a dick for eating those, since I could eat wings whenever I wanted but they only can when they're allowed. I don't think I'm wrong honestly.

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Aug 6, 2022

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'm sorry Jon, I was so hungry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Cowslips Warren posted:

Party Sub Guy has a challenger!

AITAH for eating the last of the chicken?

just ate half the food for 5 people, nbd

when homeboy's magic metabolism slows down he's gonna make the rest of his family look downright skinny