Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which August 16th release are you most looking forward to?
This poll is closed.
Blossom Tales 2: The Minotaur Prince [PC, Switch] – August 16 12 21.82%
Rollerdrome [PC, PS5, PS4] – August 16 31 56.36%
Tribes of Midgard [XSX, XBO, Switch] – August 16 5 9.09%
Way of the Hunter [PC, PS5, XSX] – August 16 7 12.73%
Total: 55 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

EightFlyingCars posted:

you'll be a lot happier if you stop treating the media you consume like a substitute for sunday school

What does that even mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

There's also the fact that like, Berseria is a revenge story at its core. Revenge stories don't usually have happy endings.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Boba Pearl posted:

What does that even mean?

it means that describing art as "bad" for having content that's merely upsetting as opposed to actively harmful is weird and gross. don't do that.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
So, bad is a problematic term when reviewing the quality of content?

FirstAidKite posted:

Idk about that, there are plenty of revenge stories that have happy endings and are essentially just like "hell yeah I got my revenge" and the protagonist is happy/satisfied.

This is pretty much what I was expecting yeah.

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Aug 12, 2022

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

There's also the fact that like, Berseria is a revenge story at its core. Revenge stories don't usually have happy endings.

Idk about that, there are plenty of revenge stories that have happy endings and are essentially just like "hell yeah I got my revenge" and the protagonist is happy/satisfied.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Boba Pearl posted:

So, bad is a problematic term when reviewing the quality of content?

if you're gonna show up and say that tragedies are morally wrong then yeah it's pretty problematic, but that's just a you thing

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Though I will apologize if Bad is only for things with problematic elements, there was nothing problematic on that level in Berseria, and I'll assume the same of Berserk, it's source material.

Who brought morals into this!?

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

FirstAidKite posted:

True, even the Count of Monte Cristo, the revenge story by excellence, ends with the Count going "welp, I got my revenge, time to run to China with my girlfriend ex-slave who is younger than me but it's okay I freed her".

"Revenge is empty" is still a very comon theme in those stories, and given Velvet's character the ending makes sense. Still better than Eizen being condemned to turn into a dragon and get killed by Sorey.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Ultionus had a good ending for a game with the subtitle "A Tale of Petty Revenge"

The protagonist Serena just got done saving the world and she comments about it on her social media. The prince of a nearby planet tells her she should get back in the kitchen. She crash lands on his plan, blasts her way through his military forces and the dangerous flora and fauna, then gets to the prince and kicks him in the balls and leaves.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Boba Pearl posted:

Though I will apologize if Bad is only for things with problematic elements, there was nothing problematic on that level in Berseria, and I'll assume the same of Berserk, it's source material.

Who brought morals into this!?

if i'm coming across as cranky then i'm sorry about that, i'm posting through a migraine and that's a Big Mistake, but if you're going to call the thesis of a perfectly non-harmful work "wrong" and "broken to the core", then you're forcing a moral viewpoint on it whether you realize it or not

i don't even like tales games but i have to admit this is a huge pet peeve of mine

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

True, even the Count of Monte Cristo, the revenge story by excellence, ends with the Count going "welp, I got my revenge, time to run to China with my girlfriend ex-slave who is younger than me but it's okay I freed her".

"Revenge is empty" is still a very comon theme in those stories, and given Velvet's character the ending makes sense. Still better than Eizen being condemned to turn into a dragon and get killed by Sorey.

I just pretend the Zestria anime I’ve never watched is canon wrt to that spoiler, wherein iirc they partially fix Eizen so he’s himself again but still a dragon.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Bizarrely enough Arise has an optional side quest that gives those characters some closure, despite having no other links to that particular Tales universe

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Last Celebration posted:

I just pretend the Zestria anime I’ve never watched is canon wrt to that spoiler, wherein iirc they partially fix Eizen so he’s himself again but still a dragon.

I don't really remember, but I thought Eizen was ignored instead of killed in the anime?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

I don't really remember, but I thought Eizen was ignored instead of killed in the anime?

i never watched it but it was one of the things I heard that stood out, but since that was years ago I could definitely be wrong

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Should have played the best game in the series, Tales of Hearts on the Vita instead.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I think I see your point, and I'll definitely choose different words, if only to avoid confusion like this in a future.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
The only tales game ive played is tales of destiny

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

yeah i shouldn't have went so hard, i really should've just had some water or something. sorry about that

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
The only Tales game I have completed is Of The Borderlands.

I think I tried Berseria once a long time ago, but I must not have gotten far because I cannot be certain I tried it. I do own it though, maybe from psplus.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I played most of Symphonia (because everyone said it was the good one) and whichever one was ported to PSP (Phantasia?). Never did anything for me.

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

I played Symphonia cuz I had a demo disc with that games opening on it and I thought it was sick as hell but I never finished it.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Atelier Rorona is my new favorite game by the way. Maybe my GotY 2022

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Boba Pearl posted:

Atelier Rorona is my new favorite game by the way. Maybe my GotY 2022

I am playing Atelier Ayesha and it is wonderfully calming :)

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Tales of Symphonia is the best Tales game in my adolescent heart.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

wait i thought veegee hated atelier????? is my reality lying to me?????

WaltherFeng posted:

Tales of Symphonia is the best Tales game in my adolescent heart.

I loved Symphonia 17 years ago, but I have to admit it did not age well gameplaywise. Storywise it didn't age because it was already old on release

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

stev posted:

I played most of Symphonia (because everyone said it was the good one) and whichever one was ported to PSP (Phantasia?). Never did anything for me.

Symphonia was the first 3D Tales and pretty janky, it's fun enough but it's mostly remembered for being one of the three good GameCube RPGs.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

wait i thought veegee hated atelier????? is my reality lying to me?????

????????? Where did this come from?? What????

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

VideoGames posted:

????????? Where did this come from?? What????

Oh sorry, it was a joke based on someone who joked about how you hated Atelier just because you didn't play it. I did not mean to insult you and as a disclaimer every time I talk in lower caps is sarcasm.

Still a lovely joke im retrospect, sorry VG :(

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

The notion that VG would not love a game is preposterous!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
vg hates atelier it's true

it's okay, i understand

i'll just be over there...in the corner...i'm not crying there's just something in my eye...

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
someone hold cheetah down i need that tear for synthesis.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Not to brag but I back in 2018 or whatever I played personas 5 - 4 - 3psp back to back to back and felt great, it’s likely burnout in this case but also maybe ff14 has problems (that do NOT “get better in HW”). E.g. still only 1 curly hair option, and it’s an afro :wom:

It's definitely both - I don't think any of the criticisms you've leveled at FFXIV are inaccurate.
If you give it a break and come back to it refreshed, the things you like about it will hopefully help smooth over the rougher parts. (Or they might not and you might be done with it and hey, that's okay too.)

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Oh sorry, it was a joke based on someone who joked about how you hated Atelier just because you didn't play it. I did not mean to insult you and as a disclaimer every time I talk in lower caps is sarcasm.

Still a lovely joke im retrospect, sorry VG :(

Hahahah nooo please do not apologise! Good grief, you have done nothing wrong :)

I am playing it and I had a day of Metroidvanias rather than Atelier. I like it a ton and I hope to finish it in the next month :) I have just been slacking with it. I promised Cheetah to update my progress here!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
VG hates Atelier so much you'd think it was a dog

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Ah, I guess I should probably get back to Atelier Ryza at some point.

I was having fun with it, I just got swept up in other things I guess.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

VideoGames posted:

Hahahah nooo please do not apologise! Good grief, you have done nothing wrong :)

I am playing it and I had a day of Metroidvanias rather than Atelier. I like it a ton and I hope to finish it in the next month :) I have just been slacking with it. I promised Cheetah to update my progress here!

Hahaha sorry myself, I'm the kind of person who apologizes a lot and also have a bleeding heart that feels terrible when hurting people (as long as they're not evil).

We all love videogames in the end! Except the bad ones*

*which videogames are bad is still on furious debate

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Rarity posted:

VG hates Atelier so much you'd think it was a dog

Terrible lies! I love dogs. I spent last night with my Bestie and his wife, and most of it was spent playing with his dog (who wants my constant attention :D )

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

VideoGames posted:

Terrible lies! I love dogs. I spent last night with my Bestie and his wife, and most of it was spent playing with his dog (who wants my constant attention :D )

"I don't hate dogs, one of my best friends is one"

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
wow vg hates dogs and atelier and snow cones i can't believe it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

The only thing VG will hate is FFXIV...

Hate that he can't play it 24/7, that is!!!!