Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
I've barely been riding lately after hurting my back again. While I do physio and exercises and gentle cruiser rides to heal my back I have been tinkering with this and more or less got it how I want it.

My only gripes are purely aesthetic ones, I couldn't find a longer Silca Impero in the right blue, so I had to use an umbrella clip. And I didn't notice how brown my old Turbo saddle was until it was on the bike next to the new bar tape. E. And the black plastic cable housing end on the cable stop on the chainstay, I have to find a chrome one at the bike shop sometime.

Anyway I can't wait to ride it. Spring is on the way here.

Project M.A.M.I.L. fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Aug 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

LoudPipesSaveLives posted:

I've barely been riding lately after hurting my back again. While I do physio and exercises and gentle cruiser rides to heal my back I have been tinkering with this and more or less got it how I want it.

My only gripes are purely aesthetic ones, I couldn't find a longer Silca Impero in the right blue, so I had to use an umbrella clip. And I didn't notice how brown my old Turbo saddle was until it was on the bike next to the new bar tape. E. And the black plastic cable housing end on the cable stop on the chainstay, I have to find a chrome one at the bike shop sometime.

oohlala. The saddle will match the bar tape soon enough.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Yeah that's what I expect, one filthy tyre change or dropped chain on a ride and it'll be plenty grubby.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Beautiful! A proper tall size bike!

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Good bike

I'd like to get some deep carbon rims for my rim brake bike but don't think it makes sense since I'd like to get one with discs in the next couple of years (and I don't race so my actual speed doesn't really matter). They just look and sound so cool though!

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Cruiser cum cargo bike

Still looking lovely and gay

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

You found you needed a whole bike to carry all that cum? Good job man

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Heliosicle posted:

Good bike

I'd like to get some deep carbon rims for my rim brake bike but don't think it makes sense since I'd like to get one with discs in the next couple of years (and I don't race so my actual speed doesn't really matter). They just look and sound so cool though!

Just buy some used ones imo, if ya ain't gonna use them for that long yourself.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
Just put together my new bike, been riding ebikes forever and I've forgotten you have to exert yourself to go anywhere on a normal bike. It's pretty awesome.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

ddiddles posted:

Just put together my new bike, been riding ebikes forever and I've forgotten you have to exert yourself to go anywhere on a normal bike. It's pretty awesome.

Nice bike, good color. There should be more green bikes.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Jestery posted:

Cruiser cum cargo bike

Still looking lovely and gay

That's a rad bag, would love to ride around with that in my basket.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Wifi Toilet posted:

Nice bike, good color. There should be more green bikes.

Green bike reporting in

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Yup, it's green

Soon to have better* tires on it.

*Brown sidewalls are coming back, bitches! (Also my rear has two plugs in it already, so I'm calling it a life for that one).

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
Green from one angle at least! Edit: goddamn what is the secret to embedding images on iOS not hanging the app :(

eeenmachine fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Aug 13, 2022

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Green dark teal bike crew

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Let it be known green is gold.

My cable cutters decided to just fall apart with me needing to make one last cut on some new compressionless brake housing, gotta just stare at it now until a new pair shows up tomorrow.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

ddiddles posted:

My cable cutters decided to just fall apart with me needing to make one last cut on some new compressionless brake housing, gotta just stare at it now until a new pair shows up tomorrow.
you wore out a set of cable cutters?! impressive

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

ddiddles posted:

Diagonal cutters for brake housing

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Diagonal cutters for brake housing

Yeah I have a proper set coming, ended up running down to harbor freight and getting a small bolt cutter which did the iob. Brakes are so much better, should steady my hand for a while to not buy hydrolics

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Green dark teal bike crew

How was riding that road? I didn’t have a bike with me when we went this spring, but the traffic didn’t seem bad at all.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Bud Manstrong posted:

How was riding that road? I didn’t have a bike with me when we went this spring, but the traffic didn’t seem bad at all.

I went early from Hatch and it was super chill. Wasn’t much traffic at all and even less so after the main parking lots.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Good news: new tires installed. Bad news: needed tubes, which are still in there.

Apparently WTB road rims suck so hard that the local shop won't set them up tubeless anymore.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I've done plenty of tubeless setups on wtb rims since like every kona comes with them and haven't really had any issues. My experience is more that panaracers suck to set up.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

iospace posted:

Good news: new tires installed. Bad news: needed tubes, which are still in there.

Apparently WTB road rims suck so hard that the local shop won't set them up tubeless anymore.

Gravel kings are the only tires I’ve really had issues setting up tubeless and having to do the tube trick etc

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

jamal posted:

I've done plenty of tubeless setups on wtb rims since like every kona comes with them and haven't really had any issues. My experience is more that panaracers suck to set up.

I'll see how my studs go in the fall, but I'm probably gonna need a new wheel set after this winter anyway.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Yeah I'm not really a huge fan, both my stock sets are dented all to poo poo and needed to be trued all the time and are heavy and are just hanging up unused, but tubeless setup was never an issue with the tires I've used on them.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
New bike clown bike day

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Dog Case posted:

New bike clown bike day

:same:

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

That looks fancy. I bet you didn't even have to grease all of the dry bearings before you could ride it

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
hell yes

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

want this

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
I have backtracked through this thread but couldn't find it so maybe it was in another thread, but there was a goon posting in here whose partner was making bike bags based in the Wellington region? I'm maybe keen on a burrito style bag and would like to support local if I can.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
In case they don't see your post, https://www.instagram.com/paperroadsaotearoa/

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

That's the one thank you!

E. Sort of feel like I should post a picture after all the talking. When I bought that Silca for my other bike I got a black one as well, I think it looks pretty good on my black bike. I love this bike, but something about it bugs me I think it's the crankset. I have a 10 speed Record one I could replace it with but it'd be kind of silly just for looks although I've done worse. It looks better in person.

Project M.A.M.I.L. fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Aug 16, 2022

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Today was a new bike day. I’m going to hurt myself.

Have to share another image, post-christening in the tahoe moondust

It rides like a goddamned couch; a really fast one. It wants to go very fast, and in a way it was much scarier for me to ride because I felt like it was easy to get going faster than I was comfortable with over the bigger jumps, but holy poo poo it is fun.

After some easier warmup laps, took it on the trail that my first DH race is on this Sunday, with a very steep and loose section; it was a bit more challenging there, I was losing front traction more often than when I'd ridden the trail in the past, though maybe I just need to get used to the different modulation of the TRP brakes vs the XT on my Ripmo.

Steve French fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Aug 16, 2022

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

That's the one thank you!

E. Sort of feel like I should post a picture after all the talking. When I bought that Silca for my other bike I got a black one as well, I think it looks pretty good on my black bike. I love this bike, but something about it bugs me I think it's the crankset. I have a 10 speed Record one I could replace it with but it'd be kind of silly just for looks although I've done worse. It looks better in person.

Pleasantly anachronistic

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

That's a cool bike and I am also jealous of that white car you have, but sorry is that bike tiny or is the truck there as big as a bus? It's not a trick of perspective right?

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

That's a cool bike and I am also jealous of that white car you have, but sorry is that bike tiny or is the truck there as big as a bus? It's not a trick of perspective right?

Maybe a little of two out of three? It's for sure not a small bike, it's actually enormous. The truck is an F150, not lifted but on somewhat oversize tires. I agree it makes it look like either the truck is huge or the bike is tiny. Here's a different perspective

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Oh yeah that looks way different, cool bike!