Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I mostly make lists for me, like to track sub-genres I want to dive deeper into, or movies that I find out a particular friend hasn't seen that I'd want to rewatch with them.

Also have a couple lists that are public-facing like one made up of precursors to Indiana Jones that channel the same vibes, and I started a list of Every Sequel Ever because nobody else has, but I only bothered to put one movie on it so far. Already have one disappointed person who stumbled onto it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I make a zillion lists but they’re all for me. Challenges I’m doing. Long marathons of randomly connected movies I want to watch. Big collections on some theme I want to go through. They’re all basically resources for me to keep track of my own varied web of watchlists but I also kind of try and make them so maybe someone else would find them useful. Who knows? I just love making them. I love starting new projects.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Lists are like poo poo posts, you don't just do them for you, you do it to improve the world in a bad way.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I really, really wish you could sort lists by number of titles in search. I'm so sick of having to go to page 10 to find anything useful because a ton of generic "Weird Watchlist" and "Random Movie Roulette" lists have 3,000 movies in them.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

I really, really wish you could sort lists by number of titles in search. I'm so sick of having to go to page 10 to find anything useful because a ton of generic "Weird Watchlist" and "Random Movie Roulette" lists have 3,000 movies in them.

If you mean you're trying to find something you haven't seen before, just select Hide Watched Films on the list.

It's on the website and the phone app.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Nah he means the pointless lists people make like ‘every horror film ever’ that have 10,000 movies in them. I wish you could block them.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Ohhh, I see. The actual list of lists is too long to wade through. Yeah, that's a bummer. You can message them and suggest they add that feature. I've messaged them before, and not only were they responsive, but they told me they would work on it and sent me an e-mail when the feature was added.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Last time I did that they just directed me to their feature request site, which is flooded with a ton of inane ideas by people who don't know how products are built.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Nah he means the pointless lists people make like ‘every horror film ever’ that have 10,000 movies in them. I wish you could block them.

There is actually a use for them sometimes. I generally browse on my computer, and on web they haven't added the feature to search by multiple genres like they have on mobile. So if I want to find the list of horror-comedies I haven't seen, or a list of animated fantasy, the only way is to pull up one of those lists and filter by genre.

But yes, they really screw up my searches when I'm trying to find smaller lists.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

The best lists are those that have no actual purpose apart from being of supreme comedic value like this one that is just right in the best ways

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

Feeling called out with my zombie movie list on letterboxd

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

ruddiger posted:

Feeling called out with my zombie movie list on letterboxd

Nah that feels curated and put together with care and effort. Big long lists can be useful, I like the rarelust one for example, but there’s literally one called ‘every movie I can think of’ and its always right at the top of any search I do. It serves zero purpose.

Some of the gag lists of a few entries are funny but there’s definitely way too many of them now.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I suggested to them that they should let you cross-reference services, because my exact taste is "anything on Criterion Channel and Tubi simultaneously"

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
The only time I use the "like" button is when I don't give something a star rating but did enjoy it (e.g. I'll log short films or mini-series but I generally don't rate them).

Franchescanado posted:

Does anyone else get reviews anxiety for 5 star movies?

I often find it easier to write about stuff I didn't like than stuff I did like, especially on a first viewing.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

feedmyleg posted:

You can block the user who makes a list like that and it'll disappear from your list search. It works for me.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Sometimes you got to make a list because it doesn’t exist and you need it for an important project. Like I’m trying to watch every movie filmed at the (defunct?) Earl Owensby studios in Shelby, North Carolina:

https://boxd.it/dW9xW

edit: if any Owensbyheads out there notice anything I missed let me know

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jun 10, 2022

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

RobbZombae posted:

You can block the user who makes a list like that and it'll disappear from your list search. It works for me.

Yeah was going to suggest this. I equally despise the Mega Lists -- "Random Movie Roulette," "Sitting in My Room Adding Every Movie I Can Think Of," etc. At least "Every Horror Movie Ever" could theoretically serve some purpose but then again you could just sort all films by genre on the site so why do I need to see that bullshit under every single movie???

Oh and then there are the ones that just sort random movies by poster color.

I mostly make lists for myself but sometimes I do like to make curated public lists too. I have one I've been maintaining that's Recommended Films with <1,000 Views, which I've capped at 100 films so it doesn't become one of those unwieldy monstrosities and I check it every once in a while to make sure nothing has passed 1,000 views on the site. Once a film does I replace it with something else. I remember seeing a Twitter prompt for people to post their favorite films with under 15,000 views on the site and that just felt like it was way too easy and broad, gotta pick some actual obscurities. At least a handful are films I found through CineD, including that iconic masterpiece Magic Lizard and horror thread fav HauntedWeen.

Link is here but I just don't want my account added to the master list so it's not easily searchable.

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 10, 2022

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

RobbZombae posted:

I didn't know that worked, awesome! Bout to have me a Block Party!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Goons Are Great posted:

so many new and old goons coming together here, it fills my heart with joy to read everyone's terrible opinions about terrible movies

Absolutely! I'd like to join that list, here's mine:

https://letterboxd.com/frankboothfan/

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Anybody go down the rabbit hole of your letterboxd movie data? I sometimes get intrigued and get ideas for my to-watch goals.

Stuff like for some reason 2003 has 67 movies watched for me, but every other 2000s year has 80+. What's with the slacking 2003? Thinking I'll make a note to get 2003 up there a bit.

And for decades, I've mentioned before the 2010s has been a drop-off for me, even though I still keep up with movies. I've seen 430 movies in the 2010s, and about double that with 800+ in the 2000s. Even back to the 80s is higher than the 2010s for me, around 560. So I'm hoping to get the 2010s a little more respectably up there at some point, maybe hit 600 there some day. Not to go too off the deep end, but it's fun to look at this stuff sometimes. The 1970s is pretty shameful for me, I've seen 148, so I've gotta get that up to say 250 at some point. Ditto for earlier decades.

Though I guess overall I'm more of an 80s film fan, plus all that anime influx and more foreign films for me. One of my goals I came up with a while back is to watch 86 movies from 1986, and I've got 12 to go. I have over 30 fun picks already for 86, so that won't be too tough. It will be tough for the 2010s to ever beat the 80s, but a comeback could happen. 90s and 2000s I think will always be the champs numbers wise.

Anybody else have some deep dive data things going? Another thing I dig is that looking at years by popularity, and by country as well, it's pretty easy to bone up on picks for a year.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Every time I look at my data my take away is always that I need to watch more movies that weren't made in America

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I ruined my data by binging all those shorts so now the 1930s and 1940s are filled with 200~ films each while I'm not even at 50 with the 1970s.

Meanwhile, I've been thinking about the discussion on not liking films but recognizing their qualities. This is coming from someone who's not a master-level cinephile, but I think not enjoying a film is going to hurt your ability to perceive the strengths of any film. When I first watched Le Samourai, I saw it for being a good film but didn't like it so I gave it a 7/10. When I rewatched it and really got into it, I was feasting on every shot and in the end I boosted my rating to a perfect 10.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
https://letterboxd.com/aschaeffer/

i'm really hard on movies, but I've also never walked out of anything, no matter how lovely

also always write something with the rating even if it's just exclamations of disgust

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
My data tells me that I watched movies more often when I was living in an apartment situation I hated.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

DoubleCakes posted:

I ruined my data by binging all those shorts so now the 1930s and 1940s are filled with 200~ films each while I'm not even at 50 with the 1970s.

Meanwhile, I've been thinking about the discussion on not liking films but recognizing their qualities. This is coming from someone who's not a master-level cinephile, but I think not enjoying a film is going to hurt your ability to perceive the strengths of any film. When I first watched Le Samourai, I saw it for being a good film but didn't like it so I gave it a 7/10. When I rewatched it and really got into it, I was feasting on every shot and in the end I boosted my rating to a perfect 10.
I think some movies also just need some time to digest in your system before you realize you liked them or were even moved by them.

Like I didn't get the big deal about Ozu's Late Spring at first, but at some point I realized I had thought about it every day for like a month straight and that it clearly had hit me on some level I didn't realize while actually watching it.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
I've been watching random movies off the 'official top 250 movies history list', using a random number generator to have no choice in what I was getting. A few weeks ago I watched the fifth movie on the list: 'O auta da compadecida', a movie that is higher rated than the Godfather II, and it's complete poo poo? It has some of the top actors of Brazilian cinema, but the acting is intentionally atrocious, Everything about the movie is just really annoying, the story is a big nothing? I really wonder what is behind the absurdly high rating. There must be some social media campaign in Brazil to get this movie to the top of the website or something.

https://letterboxd.com/dave/list/letterboxd-top-250-films-history-collected/
https://letterboxd.com/film/a-dogs-will/

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

kanonvandekempen posted:

I've been watching random movies off the 'official top 250 movies history list', using a random number generator to have no choice in what I was getting. A few weeks ago I watched the fifth movie on the list: 'O auta da compadecida', a movie that is higher rated than the Godfather II, and it's complete poo poo? It has some of the top actors of Brazilian cinema, but the acting is intentionally atrocious, Everything about the movie is just really annoying, the story is a big nothing? I really wonder what is behind the absurdly high rating. There must be some social media campaign in Brazil to get this movie to the top of the website or something.

You know you can limit a list to films you haven't seen, and then shuffle them, right in Letterboxd. Might be a paid user feature, though.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

kanonvandekempen posted:

Seems like the positive reviews are mostly in Portuguese, so it's probably a cultural/lost in translation thing. I wouldn't go off Letterboxd scores anyway unless it's from people you follow that have taste similar to yours. There are multiple Harry Styles concerts rated considerably higher than Citizen Kane or Vertigo

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

kanonvandekempen posted:

There must be some social media campaign in Brazil to get this movie to the top of the website or something.

The fact that the top 250 films on Letterboxd aren't all Indian just tells me that Indians haven't found Letterboxd yet. The fact it exists is usually enough for them to give it at least ****/5 on most sites.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

gey muckle mowser posted:

Seems like the positive reviews are mostly in Portuguese, so it's probably a cultural/lost in translation thing. I wouldn't go off Letterboxd scores anyway unless it's from people you follow that have taste similar to yours. There are multiple Harry Styles concerts rated considerably higher than Citizen Kane or Vertigo

This is why I use Criticker for recommendations. It's annoying having to input my ratings into two sites but the results are worth it IMO

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Tarnop posted:

This is why I use Criticker for recommendations. It's annoying having to input my ratings into two sites but the results are worth it IMO
Yeah, if the goal is to find stuff you like, Criticker blows way past Letterboxd. For a very brief time I tried to use both but it got kind of annoying and I didn't even have to think about it before dumping Letterboxd and sticking with Criticker. We used to have a thread but it's dead now.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Every time I see the box art thumbnail for Zodiac in the Letterboxd feed, it looks like someone’s torso.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

gey muckle mowser posted:

There are multiple Harry Styles concerts rated considerably higher than Citizen Kane or Vertigo

What's the issue?

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Goons Are Great posted:

Hello my letterboxing friends,
Been a few months, so gonna quote myself here to bring up the big list of boxd goons again, I think no one itt came in since my last edit, but feel free to yell loudly if anything is wrong or missing

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I'm kuiperdolin there too but I mostly log and lurks.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I'm on there as DrKoctopus

https://boxd.it/uQdd

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I use letterboxd to grind out stats list, it's a great way to find new movies and make myself watch them. Recently started rating and writing one sentence reviews, some of them the same as what I post in the "first reaction to a movie" thread. Feel free to make fun of my taste.

https://letterboxd.com/Mantis42/

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

is there any way to export your https://www.flickchart.com/ ratings so you can have a good list of movies to import to letterboxd? I have a friend who loves flickchart and wants to use her flickchart ratings to create a letterboxd account

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
https://boxd.it/21g79

I'm on letterboxd far too much. Love garbage auteurs, Italian Horror and Pinky poo poo.

I love making lists that I never finish.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I can respect a Female Prisoner Scorpion fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

In your Films I Will Never Watch list, I have seen both the High School Musical trilogy and two Lucifer Valentine movies. Im not sure you could get more extreme ends of the spectrum than that.

The HSM movies were definitely better.