Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Welp I never thought seeing a chicken broken down would surprise me

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7120256204273650945

Jeez, that's impressive.

edit: lovely page snipe.

Have an oldie, but a goodie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-2QBYKI8LU

.Z. fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLc5xSPZuOk

Dang this looks so good. :qq:

mystes
May 31, 2006

All Sohla content is good but I'm glad they started including Ham in these videos too

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Chlebowski is getting roasted on Tiktok because he posted a late night snack that involved roasting a pepper over the stove

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7134735231910808874

Actually reading through the comments on his videos it seems like everyone is just there to make fun of him for expecting anyone to put as much effort or have as many ingredients on hand as he does

There are popular cooking tiktoks that make more efforty food than he does, but it seems like their audiences love them. Maybe because YouTube is about you seeking out content and Tiktok is about content being thrown in front of you, his stuff is being shown to audiences who aren’t interesting in putting in the amount of work he expects. General audience people have a lower bar of “that’s too much work” and just want to watch effort food for entertainment and not feel the intimidation of being expected to make any of it

mystes
May 31, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

Chlebowski is getting roasted on Tiktok because he posted a late night snack that involved roasting a pepper over the stove

Actually reading through the comments on his videos it seems like everyone is just there to make fun of him for expecting anyone to put as much effort or have as many ingredients on hand as he does

There are popular cooking tiktoks that make more efforty food than he does, but it seems like their audiences love them. Maybe because YouTube is about you seeking out content and Tiktok is about content being thrown in front of you, his stuff is being shown to audiences who aren’t interesting in putting in the amount of work he expects. General audience people have a lower bar of “that’s too much work” and just want to watch effort food for entertainment and not feel the intimidation of being expected to make any of it
A lot of the comments there are making fun of his previous chicken video recipe, which it turns out has even better comments: https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7133345190613454122

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

i thought they were gonna mock him for making a 5 inch tall quesadilla that he burned but its all comments about the chicken looking grey i guess

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

General audience people have a lower bar of “that’s too much work”

now Ive never had a gas range, and I don't like bell peppers, but roasting a pepper on the stove seems, to me, to be a wildly low effort task! it doesn't even produce a dish!

edit: yeah now that I've watched that... if you have the ingredients and equipment that's like a step up in complexity from an omelette that's an easy as poo poo recipe

egg tats fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Aug 25, 2022

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Average TikTok user has about five braincells, of course it seems difficult to them

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
the average tiktok user is buying pink sauce

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
TikTok has a lot of my least favorite trend: Telling people to season their food because they didn't use a bunch of dried spices. You'll see someone put aromatics, herbs, salt and pepper in their food and the top comment will be "omg, season your food"

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Those look like regular tacos and not "late night tacos". In my mind, "late night" food doesn't involve dicing raw chicken.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That has to take 30+ minutes to make. It's not difficult but it's not a late night snack. Looks tasty of course.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

It's been a while, wonder how BA is doing.

Oh

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
At least they got a model minority writer to write that

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What is the white people food meme?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Mayonnaise is white people food, etc.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

When people poo poo on the glory of the Midwest.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

White people make bland, unseasoned food. Black pepper is too hot. Anything ethnic makes heads explode, etc.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh ok I thought it was a picture meme that I missed.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

The Midniter posted:

White people make bland, unseasoned food. Black pepper is too hot. Anything ethnic makes heads explode, etc.

My mother legit finds black pepper too spicy and thinks me feeding my son little bits of chili oil and other spicy foods is child abuse.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

HootTheOwl posted:

When people poo poo on the glory of the Midwest.

In the middle of Florida, I’ve seen an ‘Iowa Bistro’ and always been eternally curious. But not curious enough to actually try.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

The_Doctor posted:

In the middle of Florida, I’ve seen an ‘Iowa Bistro’ and always been eternally curious. But not curious enough to actually try.

if they have a pork tenderloin sandwich you should get it, they're very good

e: also a maid-rite/loose meat sandwich. sounds bad, looks bad, is good

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Oh ok I thought it was a picture meme that I missed.

iirc there was some stupid poo poo going around where people were talking about how chicken rice (the hainanese dish that's simple and beige that is also famously delicious) is like white people food

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I'll be honest I thought they meant those videos where a white lady (it's always a white lady) makes some horrendous meat cheese monstrosity that half the time isn't even edible while the person filming it goes whoaaa that looks so gooood

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Steve Yun posted:

I think you're probably right. My older bro is big in food TikTok and Instagram. Pretty much all his videos are super cuts. He doesn't post the recipes and basically just shows a delicious final product and only the cool bits of cooking. It's all edited to be entertaining and not educational. That's probably why he does well there.

I think he's venturing into actually cooking lately (versus going to a food stall or restaurant) but it's been air fryers galore and extremely simple things in general.

It's just marketing though. Give the people bread and circuses and they'll be happy.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I only skimmed the article but it looks like the writer is complaning about internet comments that bitch about the lack of seasoning in recipes and automatically call it white people food. It creates a false dichotomy since plenty of non-white place make bland/subtle flavored foods.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Spending 40 minutes, while high, past midnight, with the menu music from the Prometheus blu ray filling the room, to make tacquitos and salsa from scratch is a zen experience. Even better if you whip this poo poo up for a kitchen-challenged guest who gets increasingly bewildered by your spice drawer. That's what cooking is all about baby.

Gorman Thomas fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 26, 2022

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/6957024344358882565

This is one of many many different memes about it

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 26, 2022

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

AnonSpore posted:

I'll be honest I thought they meant those videos where a white lady (it's always a white lady) makes some horrendous meat cheese monstrosity that half the time isn't even edible while the person filming it goes whoaaa that looks so gooood

I just assume all of those are from whoever that dipshit magician is trying to make them all viral

And succeeding because it doesn't matter that they went viral from people making GBS threads on them

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

more falafel please posted:

if they have a pork tenderloin sandwich you should get it, they're very good

e: also a maid-rite/loose meat sandwich. sounds bad, looks bad, is good

Made-rites, taking the sloppy out of sloppy joes.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
White people food is usually:
* Mayonnaise (ignore the Japanese obsession with it)
* Excessive cheese or dairy (ignore that this is usually stunt food and even Wisconsin doesn't cook with dairy like Tiktok content mills do)
* Unseasoned (this usually means no dried spices. Salt, pepper, herbs, and aromatics aren't enough. But also includes just bad, underseasoned food)
* Hot dish/casserole (I would argue these are a good for using convenience ingredients, being fairly low effort, high calorie, and have an interesting historical origin but yeah, they can suck)
* Overcooked (chicken cooked to death, steaks cooked well done, etc)
* Ultra-processed or not healthy (this actually ties into the issue of old timey orientalism where "exotic" stuff like kimchi has Ancient Wisdom which makes it a super food, where as sauerkraut is weird and shouldn't be eaten. But also ties into issues of industrialized food moving into developing nations, or forced onto indigenous people, and displacing culturally relevant foods and also the health risks involved with an over abundance of calories)
* Fried (this actually gets weird because you'll also get people talking about the African origins of fried chicken but I think the equation with white people food comes from Midwest state fairs where, to be fair, a lot of poo poo gets fried and the demographics are very white)

Honestly they manage to miss out the real weird white people food, like loving lutefisk.

As you may have noticed, I have Thoughts on this meme and I have been drinking.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
It's so hard to know what actual white people food is considering how much europe appropriated the food all the way from mince pie to tikka masala.

Edit Tikki lol

Veskit fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Aug 27, 2022

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Veskit posted:

It's so hard to know what actual white people food is considering how much europe appropriated the food all the way from mince pie to tikki masala.

It's not about food actually eaten by white people, it's about the meme of "white people food". It's like the difference between what Japanese people eat and the meme of Japanese food. Japanese home cooking is gonna include curry, meatloaf (sorta, hambagu is sorta like a small meat loaf), fried chicken and people will eat pizza and burgers but then there is the meme of Japanese food as hand crafted using ancient wisdom handed down through harsh apprenticeships (sushi chefs who spend years just washing the rice) and includes sushi, sushi, not to mention sushi, and sometimes teriyaki or ramen.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Veskit posted:

It's so hard to know what actual white people food is considering how much europe appropriated the food all the way from mince pie to tikki masala.
tiki masala does sound like pretty brazen cultural appropriation

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Veskit posted:

Yeah people taking dishes from other cultures, a uniquely European phenomena

mystes
May 31, 2006

I guess all Asian food with hot peppers is cultural appropriation when you think about it but it went through white people so I guess there you go

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
When the racial food wars happen I will pick up a gun to protect the people of Louisiana

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

captkirk posted:

White people food is usually:

* Overcooked (chicken cooked to death, steaks cooked well done, etc)

I don't have a ton invested in the (blank) food be like this dialogue, but I've only ever known this as a Black stereotype. I had the benefit of growing up in an incredibly diverse community, so I never had to think about dividing foods down real specific lines like that. Syracuse is a poo poo hole, but it was always weirdly progressive in certain ways.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/julianfeeld/status/1564182204711780352?s=21&t=aTp66wQ-KsqTjQ0XkOxEAA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Boomer era cookbooks and a lot of post depression recipes had like a "half tsp of pepper" for 4 qts of chili.

A lot of it was frugality imho, but resulted in generations of people under seasoning food. Although IDK of anywhere else outside of the Midwest where there are salt shakers on the table. Use hot sauce!