Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

what age are the main characters supposed to be here

Anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
real kind of that homeless lizard man to warn a bunch of people who he presumes are not lizard men about his own people :shobon:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

S'all part of the master plan, a way to spot the possible vigilantes.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

what age are the main characters supposed to be here
Anime

I mean, yes, they're like 20-somethings? They've been through wizard college and stuff, so they're presumably not actual babies. The lead is going through a total personality collapse, so I believe she's meant to read as pathetic more than childlike.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Qwertycoatl posted:

I wonder which of them will inevitably ruin the plausible deniablity magic by swapping minds with an animal

Ain't no rule that says a dog can't play basketball.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
10,000 years old

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

KennyMan666 posted:

Shirley

Shirley is relieved that she's not running the risk of losing her current home.

Okay yeah, now I am very much reminded of how somebody pointed out earlier in the thread that this comic would have some serious gay vibes if Shirley were an adult.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Reminds me of one of my favorite SFW Oglafs.
]

Edit: Actually, these guys look a bit scrotumish. Better spoiler that.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Perestroika posted:

Okay yeah, now I am very much reminded of how somebody pointed out earlier in the thread that this comic would have some serious gay vibes if Shirley were an adult.

You mean the person who was banned for it because, uuhhhhh, eewwwwww

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

They're talking about this that was posted during the posting of the first volume:

Tenebrais posted:

There's something very soft about this comic. Occasionally it feels like there's going to be stakes but then everything is okay pretty quickly. It's a nice change of pace.

The two characters clearly care for each other. If Shirley had been an adult this would probably come across as very gay. Honestly, I'm sure there were more than a few cases in the era of a single spinster and her live-in maid that everyone just sort of knows about and doesn't want to cause an upset by pointing it out.

People commenting on how young she is does throw me off a little - thirteen was definitely seen as old enough to have a real job for a working-class kid in the Victorian era. Still, it could be me that's wrong on this one, maybe you would want someone more experienced for your sole house-servant.

Shaking lemur butt
Jan 5, 2015

:haw: :v: :ohdear: :cool:
Only vibe I'm getting from Shirley is that she wants a mother figure.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Squidster posted:

Anime

I mean, yes, they're like 20-somethings? They've been through wizard college and stuff, so they're presumably not actual babies. The lead is going through a total personality collapse, so I believe she's meant to read as pathetic more than childlike.

Yeah it's just weird that they're drawn like literal toddlers, especially when no-one else is

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
With all the love in the world to Imitation Crystal, I think her reportoire of character designs is limited. Her work's closer to a webcomic style than traditional manga.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i have no love for anime artists. i only have love for

forming
239-243

last time: the nephilim do not attack serapis' new form. cain drifts about in the whale. mithras' dad's butler/sex slave pops to go see the guild of assassins, of which serapis was the biggest badass of all

shloorrrrp

congrats on opening the Peacock Gate without a mirror or the Frangiclave, i guess

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Shaking lemur butt posted:

Only vibe I'm getting from Shirley is that she wants a mother figure.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Here's all the parenting you'll ever need! It's Hell was Full and it'll raise your kids!

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

some plague rats posted:

Here's all the parenting you'll ever need! It's Hell was Full and it'll raise your kids!

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

What an absolute banger of a time where you'd just write the entire plot of the movie on the poster

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

Tomorrow's recipe is chicken.

The assumption of the joke is that priests constantly want to give head.

The cat tells a joke so poorly that his friends leave him.

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
How would one go about acquiring a very tall orange hat with a reindeer head on the end?

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

CzarChasm posted:

LOOK! OVER HERE. I FOUND SOME WHOMP!

please change my name to fat, stupid man

tia

oh no I didn't realize this was two pages ago

...sorry

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Send help. It almost looks like he gave the nugget a face/expressions.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

I only read a couple pages of shirley at first but now I'm pretty much reading every page. It's ok to make a comfy no stakes comic.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

I only read a couple pages of shirley at first but now I'm pretty much reading every page. It's ok to make a comfy no stakes comic.

Yeah, the girl was already ripped from her parents and kept in a poorhouse until a rich woman decided she’d be better off as a servant. She even remembered to start compensating her! It’s pretty comfy all around :)

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
luv 2 wait 2 post in a thread until the absolute

correct time

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

'Now let us go poo poo on trees'

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I missed where the title's from.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Sonofthunderbeast was doing the 'heads tall and wide' thing for various comics characters a few pages back it was entertaining

For me it's the first post two pages back, dunno how many posts per page you're set to.

CrocodileKingSaysNO has a new favorite as of 02:38 on Sep 2, 2022

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Tree Bucket posted:

How would one go about acquiring a very tall orange hat with a reindeer head on the end?

I know, right? Narts is a great comic, but by far my biggest takeaway is that I wish I could dress like them. It was also my first takeaway, as of the very first panel.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Can people please stop being weird about the nice maid comic

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

Sonofthunderbeast was doing the 'heads tall and wide' thing for various comics characters a few pages back it was entertaining

For me it's the first post two pages back, dunno how many posts per page you're set to.

:cheers:

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

Can people please stop being weird about the nice maid comic

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
i bet you there's some comics in this thread with overt lesbian overtones if you looked hard enough.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Tree Bucket posted:

Ok, so first you prick your hand with an awl and see if milk comes out...

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
The idea that someone who is a minor might be gay or have a same sex crush isn't inherently inappropriate because being gay isn't a fetish, it's not some adults only sex thing. That's seriously scary rhetoric. I definitely experienced crushes on older women as a teen. It shouldn't be seen as any less wholesome or taboo to depict or discuss that than the extremely normal trope of a kid with a heterosexual older crush. (Depicted in a way that acknowledges that it happens not in a way that suggests its age appropriate).

That said, I get that the context here is this is all in the wake of that 'lesbian sub/dom' comment which was entirely beyond the pale and unquestionably sexualizing, and dealt with appropriately. But the comment after that which got probed doesn't feel great to see that get punished! It's not weird for a minor to be gay! I was a gay minor! The idea that gayness is sexual in the sense of always and only being about sex and acknowledging you can be lgbt and have those feelings as minor is inherently sexualizing and inappropriate is seriously harmful. Would the comment have been probed if the character was a boy and the commentator said it looked like he might be developing a crush?

Fully, this is a sore spot for me and the rhetoric around it/book bannings/the new right wing moral panic is really weighing on me right now, so if I'm overreacting, I'm prepared to accept that.

mycatscrimes has a new favorite as of 04:46 on Sep 2, 2022

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

KennyMan666 posted:

Shirley

Shirley is relieved that she's not running the risk of losing her current home.

Just looks like a fairytale ending freeze frame to me. :shrug:

I guess it being from Japan just causes some people to post about it like it's Turning Red for some reason. I do hope at some point we see them comment about the vampires and seeing pikes of broken arms caused by that one lady in the underground fight club at some point.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
It just seems cute and harmless.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

RareAcumen posted:

Just looks like a fairytale ending freeze frame to me. :shrug:

I guess it being from Japan just causes some people to post about it like it's Turning Red for some reason. I do hope at some point we see them comment about the vampires and seeing pikes of broken arms caused by that one lady in the underground fight club at some point.

YouTube guy who thinks they should have brought up 9/11 in Shirley

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
shirley's struggle is clearly an allegory for the Young Turk rebellion. it is no accident that the story is set during the same time period, and the author's interest in the region is evident from her other works. the repeated emphasis on shirley's youth underscores the metaphor. furthermore,