Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

dialhforhero posted:

THIS IS MY ONLY SONG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
as a hipster music nerd who was in love with jangly indie music in high school i took nu metal as a personal affront. oh you like k0rn? :rolleyes: i'm nice now though.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
So after about 25, nearly 30 years of the existence of Korn and a little bit of me growing up and not being massively pretentious, I can honestly say that Korn has contributed to the music scene in a unique way and it is hard to poo poo on them for what they have consistently been able to do for this long.

Like you/many of you, I would poo poo on them for the nu-metal scene, too. But honestly, they loving created it. There are so few bands that are genre defining. They are the/one of the progenitors, and—this is important—they didn’t die out. They are still around, not in any way obscure, and they can still really control their crowd and the fanbase is still strong. No way to spin it. Facts. And I respect that.

Also, through the lens of nostalgia I actually find their early/sophomore stuff to be good and I genuinely think Here to Stay is a fantastic song.

And for the record: Papa Roach also had Getting Away with Murder and the music video, while not entirely original, was kind of on point with the allegory.

I will also defend the band members of Limp Bizkit as actually good musicians. Particularly Wes Borland, who is cool as poo poo.

But not Fred Durst. gently caress him up his stupid rear end.

dialhforhero has a new favorite as of 00:32 on Aug 31, 2022

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Trabant posted:

90s would've been cooler if we went this McBladeRunner's route:

https://twitter.com/EvanCollins90/status/1271614283739090944

This is way more 80s than it is 90s, IMO.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

dialhforhero posted:

I will also defend the band members of Limp Bizkit as actually good musicians. Particularly Wes Borland, who is cool as poo poo.

But not Fred Durst. gently caress him up his stupid rear end.

to give Durst a modicum of credit he’s been pretty critical of the meathead bro persona he cultivated/was branded with over the years, saying that the “guy in the red hat” and what that character became and went on to represent (ie “the guy who beat you up in middle school for being a f*g”) with the band’s mainstream success were really antithetical to who he was and his experiences growing up and what he wanted to do with music and so forth

I forget where I saw it, but he pointed out in a recent-ish interview that Limp Bizkit built up their initial fanbase doing metal covers of George Michael (their Faith cover actually goes way back) and Paula Abdul songs

that said, he’s also made a bunch of awful art and terrible movies and he said some sussy things about Putin back in 2015 and he’s been married like eight times, so who the gently caress knows

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Meanwhile Jonathan Davis has not sucked ever as far as I can tell. Maybe politically but not egregious.

What I am saying is: thanks for the apology but you’re still not invited to my birthday party, Fred.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

dialhforhero posted:

So after about 25, nearly 30 years of the existence of Korn and a little bit of me growing up and not being massively pretentious, I can honestly say that Korn has contributed to the music scene in a unique way and it is hard to poo poo on them for what they have consistently been able to do for this long.

Korn's early work aged pretty well, at least in terms of the music itself; obviously some extremely questionable content in places, but I think it was all coming from a genuine place and they seem genuinely regretful for the missteps (like the homophobic slurs littered all over "All In The Family"). It probably helps that we're currently in this cultural moment of recognizing the validity of mental health issues, and so the common critique of "lol you're a suburban white kid, your problems aren't real" aged way more poorly. (I guess it kind of got properly reincarnated as the much more thoughtfully fleshed out concept of "white privilege" which is in no way meant to minimize someone's personal struggles, just highlight their advantages.)

Your mileage may vary hugely on their middle period, naturally. It's no surprise that when they got more famous they also got less "hungry" and seemed to have a lot of trouble figuring out what they should focus on. Honestly their last 2 albums have actually been pretty dang good, though. Not really breaking new ground, but they don't feel like they're just going through the motions or sweetening up some glorified iPhone recordings in Protools.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
wasn't Davis singing about being called those things himself?

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I still listen to Korn sometimes too, I have nostalgia for the stuff up to Untouchables or whatever it was.

e: *screaming* NICK NACK PADDYWHACK GIVE A DOG A BONE!

Shifty Nipples has a new favorite as of 02:43 on Aug 31, 2022

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

The Fear posted:

yeah, Jonathan “it’s 1999 and I’m gonna wear this dress onstage” Davis isn’t remotely homophobic or transphobic, for all that he’s kind of a weirdo libertarian in other ways who hates neoliberals (based) and blamed Obama for his own racist backlash (not so based)

In all honestly he’d probably be a Dirtbag Leftist today if he were like 20-30 years younger

AFAIK he cares very deeply about environmental and human + animal quality of life issues and LGBTQ+ issues and class issues, but in the sort of chaos hippy way where people start to swing kind of Right simply because they hate authority and rules so much

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Davis seems to be the rare case where he got sucked into one weird corner of the conspiracy theory extended universe and believed Obama was Illuminati or whatever, and I guess he likes guns, but then it just kind of stops there and he's normal about most other stuff.

The Fear posted:

Usually yes, but "All In The Family" doesn't really fall under that banner, at least at face value. I'm sure on some level he was getting stuff out of his system, but mostly that song is just '90s edgelords being juvenile. I never was personally offended by it because it was pretty obvious he wasn't truly being hateful, but it definitely doesn't fly today.

dinahmoe
Sep 13, 2007

I will always go to bat for Korn, because their South Park episode was adorable.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
P-p-p-pah-piiiiiirate ghosts?!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Sir Lemming posted:

Davis seems to be the rare case where he got sucked into one weird corner of the conspiracy theory extended universe and believed Obama was Illuminati or whatever, and I guess he likes guns, but then it just kind of stops there and he's normal about most other stuff.

how many hippies do you know? there’s a looooot of libertarians/libertarian-adjacent folk that start out that way and wind up believing that Obama/Biden/Clinton are Reptillians (and if you ask them, so are all the Republicans, natch) and that somebody like Ron Paul or Trump are the one guy that can stop them

I have an aunt and uncle that got sucked deep into the Q Anon/Alt Right hellswamp through Natural News and the vegan/naturopath community, of all things (yes, I’m aware that Natural News was more-or-less always a front to spread right wing ideology to those types of people)

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Ok Comboomer posted:

how many hippies do you know? there’s a looooot of libertarians/libertarian-adjacent folk that start out that way and wind up believing that Obama/Biden/Clinton are Reptillians (and if you ask them, so are all the Republicans, natch) and that somebody like Ron Paul or Trump are the one guy that can stop them

Well, as far as I can tell he's not a Trump guy so I figure he's essentially made it home safe. Maybe it helped knowing Brian Welch who kind of already went through an evangelical speed run before things really got crazy.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

I'll say that Linkin Park was always the band I made fun of as a kid but kind-sorta enjoy now. At the very least, I kinda like The End as a song.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Neito posted:

I'll say that Linkin Park was always the band I made fun of as a kid but kind-sorta enjoy now. At the very least, I kinda like The End as a song.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Neito posted:

It'd be stupid to say they "did themselves a disservice" with anything they did, because obviously they were massively successful, but it always seemed like they were trying a little too hard to prove themselves -- first as a genuinely "metal" band, then as a genuinely "mature" band, and then eventually metal again? I think they were always at their best when they embraced having a whole hodgepodge of different genre influences and not truly fitting into any of them.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
My very first Internet friend I made was obsessed with Korn. This was back in very early 2000 and I remember it being my first instance of, "I have zero interest in this thing you love but I'm happy you love it :)" sort of thing. I did get in to Linkin Park, though, and that was my formal introduction to the Alternative Radio Station :rock:

Listening through the Shrieking Shack podcast, a Harry Potter reread for lapsed fans, and just got to them starting Prisoner of Azkaban and I completely forgot the books 1-3 were published between '96 and '99. I know book 1 was '96 but for some reason I thought publication was spread out a bit more. Must have gotten it mixed up with the last three books where should could negotiate for less strict deadlines and less editing

Anyway jk Rowling sucks now . Or maybe she always did. Whatever

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Another thing Korn has going for them and their legacy or whatever is their actual sound. No one has those vocals and no one uses such a low tuned bass and plays it in that style.

Linkin Park was literally the answer to the question “what if a bunch of video game and anime nerds formed a metal band with a Beastie Boys / Rage Against the Machine influence?”

And I guess, since I was (am) literally the video game nerd and I also love Rage…it follows that I enjoyed Hybrid Theory.

dialhforhero has a new favorite as of 20:29 on Aug 31, 2022

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dUuwbFH0u4

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Thanks. I hate it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Trabant posted:

90s would've been cooler if we went this McBladeRunner's route:

https://twitter.com/EvanCollins90/status/1271614283739090944

God I can just picture obnoxious "Tarantino-esque" movie dialogue in a scene in this place.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

This is way more 80s than it is 90s, IMO.
Let's consult the chart:

Idk seems very Cyber Corporate, which was definitely a style.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
I can still mostly enjoy the Queen of the Darkness soundtrack Davis did, its fine.

GrandMaster
Aug 15, 2004
laidback
Remember the linkin park / jay z collab lol

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
folks, all numetal is good

especially early numetal

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

GrandMaster posted:

I used one of the songs off this album as my hype song for diving meets in high school.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Beastie posted:

I used one of the songs off this album as my hype song for diving meets in high school.

My thread-appropriate morning mantra:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ChZN8SDbwo

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

[Bridge]
Boom-da-da-mmm-dum-na-ee-ma
Da-boom-da-da-mmm-dum-na-ee-ma
Go!

[Hook]
So buy, something on the ming-a-boo
Buy, some things they buy
So, something on the ming-a-boo
Buy, something off the hee-a-hoo
No, some things they buy
Buy, something on the ming-a-hoo

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Makes me feel like a freak on a leash, for sure

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

GrandMaster posted:

Yeah it was pretty good.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Something about this post takes a part of me.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
https://youtu.be/16hGl_prqBI

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

:perfect:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I accidently dressed myself in all navy blue today and it reminded me of Primus's My Name is Mud
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=953PkxFNiko
So I had to rewatch the video and I forgot there are two things going on. First you have Les about the bury a body, which fits with the songs lyrics, but then there's a large woman taking care of a bunch of guys at some kinda spa, and its weird, as if that was just the video, it would be fine, because alternative rock videos in the 90s often had weird and gross poo poo going on with them. But having the two is just odd. Its like they thought the body burying part was too thin or wasn't edgy enough; "kids these days want to see gross stuff with food and fat people!"

Speaking of that I just fell down a rabbit hole of watching more of their videos and I think Shake Hands with Beef is probably the most mainstream of them?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqKiH4UWrzk
The song itself is a lot more conventionally constructed, but still a bit surreal but not on the level of Mr Krinkle, Lee Van Cleef or the above mentioned My Name Is Mud. But the video, there were tons of "lol white middle class people are silly aren't they?" videos in the 90s. Again that gross food thing.

Of course there was their one big mainstream hit, Wynona's big brown beaver.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYDfwUJzYQg
Most certainly one of the most striking videos from the 90s and I think its funny that they were the only band to use those affects from the the battery ads of the time. You'd think lots of people would use them but I guess not? Also I remember at the time being confused by the line "candied up his nose". Now i know, he was doing coke. Also Les Claypool is the best redneck name ever.

I was slightly too young/musically ignorant to know about the Pixies until much later, but I was around to hear their solo projects. I remember the first Frank Black single being released and being confused why people were talking about this song coming out, and why this guy looked like a giant baby. Good song though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytQhL0-3FtM

Then I remember watching MuchMusic and his Hold Onto Your Ego comes on and my dad mentions how thats a really obscure Beach Boys song, right as the video says that and he goes "oh see, the tv agrees with me"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJ2qi9KfEZ8
Also re watching it, I never noticed that at one point Frank Black is standing in front of the Grassy Knoll.

Speaking of bands that I was confused at being told it was a big deal they were releasing new music, when Stereo MCs Connected came out I remember there being a big exclamation "Stereo MCs are BACK!" and thinking "Am I supposed to know who they are?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoESSG6iSAI
My reaction to the video was "that guy is really skinny". I think I was also confused because the title MC had always been used by rappers to my 15 year old experience, and they seemed more of dance act.

Also i am just too old to have enjoyed new metal. It just seemed really lovely music for lovely people. Didn't help every time I saw some member of a band be interviewed they'd be all "yo heavy music is taking over, all that other music is for f_gs!" and poo poo like that. That did not endeer them to me. Only System of a Down didn't do that, so that was nice. Also this was the point where I was looking back at the stuff i had really liked in the early/mid 90s, especially the roots of Britpop so I'm listening to New Order, the Smiths, The Cure and so on. When you have the biggest bands right then seeming like they're going to beat you up for not liking their music about being angry at their dads it was not a good look. Obviously i don't think that anymore, and Fred Durst being incredibly embarrassing in the 2000s (lol what is with that tattoo of Elvis and Kurt Cobain?) didn't help maintain its "this is HARD MUSIC for HARD PEOPLE".

twistedmentat has a new favorite as of 00:53 on Sep 4, 2022

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/bobmouldmusic/status/1565778331189972992?s=20&t=rTSMshO2IdnNt38oSfrMKw

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

I was in our record store, I think it was a chain can't remember, but they had listening stations where you could take a cd to the counter, they'd pop it and you'd listen with their headphones.

I took this to the counter, and this guy looks down from his raised platform and says "come with me," puts copper blue on to play and then a half dozen other cds of Bob Mould and his produced stuff. I spent a lot of money that day for an early teen. Probably the one that stuck the longest is Magnapop.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

pumped up for school posted:

I was in our record store, I think it was a chain can't remember, but they had listening stations where you could take a cd to the counter, they'd pop it and you'd listen with their headphones.

I took this to the counter, and this guy looks down from his raised platform and says "come with me," puts copper blue on to play and then a half dozen other cds of Bob Mould and his produced stuff. I spent a lot of money that day for an early teen. Probably the one that stuck the longest is Magnapop.

this one was a banger for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nnjd939cVWI

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So I thought Aphex Twin's Windowlicker was from the early 2000s but nope, its middle of 1999
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOUvcVc14L4

I have to admit, my memories from 1999 until sept 11th 2001 are pretty much all a big mass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Found a picture a good friend of mine took of me (on film) for a photography project in like 1998 and it’s all there. Wide-legs, Vans, Korn T-shirt, leather jacket, and wire-frame glasses.

Could I have BEEN cooler at 17?