Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I'm reading the first Charlie Parker book right now so I feel like I should say it's... pretty variable, with the caveat that I haven't read any other Connolly so for all I know it's just how he is. It has some good moments, some very memorable, and there's some decent character writing going on, but there are also sections that feel like nothing more than bland padding or opportunities to show off research, which tbf isn't unique to Connolly in the genre. He also likes to throw a lot of characters at you, some of whom will have very little context or bearing on the book as a whole, which personally I found pretty hard to follow, because I was frequently confusing one character with another. It also has a lot of "first in a series" problems, like imo Parker's characterization kind of ambles around randomly at times, or his voice just kind of becomes squishy and generic and indistinct, in a way that feels like Connolly hadn't really figured out what he wanted this guy to be until later on in the book.

I'm pretty close to the end, and I find I'm in a weird spot where I don't think I can honestly say I like Every Dead Thing as a book, or Charlie Parker as a character... but there are enough little glimmers of something interesting and different to probably make me at least give the second book a chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

newts
Oct 10, 2012

MockingQuantum posted:

I'm reading the first Charlie Parker book right now so I feel like I should say it's... pretty variable, with the caveat that I haven't read any other Connolly so for all I know it's just how he is. It has some good moments, some very memorable, and there's some decent character writing going on, but there are also sections that feel like nothing more than bland padding or opportunities to show off research, which tbf isn't unique to Connolly in the genre. He also likes to throw a lot of characters at you, some of whom will have very little context or bearing on the book as a whole, which personally I found pretty hard to follow, because I was frequently confusing one character with another. It also has a lot of "first in a series" problems, like imo Parker's characterization kind of ambles around randomly at times, or his voice just kind of becomes squishy and generic and indistinct, in a way that feels like Connolly hadn't really figured out what he wanted this guy to be until later on in the book.

I'm pretty close to the end, and I find I'm in a weird spot where I don't think I can honestly say I like Every Dead Thing as a book, or Charlie Parker as a character... but there are enough little glimmers of something interesting and different to probably make me at least give the second book a chance.

As someone who does really like the series, I agree with all of this.

I think the first book is pretty weak. And it really reads like a ‘first in series’ book where the author really didn’t know where he wanted things to go, or even know what the world he’s writing about would be like in terms of the supernatural. I didn’t have much of a problem with the characters, but I do think the characters get better and become memorable, although Charlie does stay a bit of a cipher, which is apparently a choice by the writer. I think by the third book, I was completely hooked.

Connolly doesn’t really stop his ‘research info dumps’. I kind of like them, though. He also does that King thing where he introduces everyone in town and their entire sordid history to establish a new setting.

Yarrington
Jun 13, 2002

While I will admit to a certain cynicism, I am a nay-sayer and hatchet man in the fight against violence. I pride myself in taking a punch and I'll gladly take another.

newts posted:

As someone who does really like the series, I agree with all of this.

I think the first book is pretty weak. And it really reads like a ‘first in series’ book where the author really didn’t know where he wanted things to go, or even know what the world he’s writing about would be like in terms of the supernatural. I didn’t have much of a problem with the characters, but I do think the characters get better and become memorable, although Charlie does stay a bit of a cipher, which is apparently a choice by the writer. I think by the third book, I was completely hooked.

Connolly doesn’t really stop his ‘research info dumps’. I kind of like them, though. He also does that King thing where he introduces everyone in town and their entire sordid history to establish a new setting.

Would you recommend just starting with the second?

newts
Oct 10, 2012

Yarrington posted:

Would you recommend just starting with the second?

I mean, you could? Important stuff happens in the first book and a lot of characters are introduced. But it’s a pretty quick read. I’d probably just get it from the library. I don’t remember much from the 1st book, except that it feels a little disconnected from the rest of the series. I think the 5th book, The Black Angel, is my favorite of the whole series. Which is to say, I think the series gets a lot better and finds its feet after a couple of books.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Went ahead and picked up the first Charlie Parker. I'm really easy on first books in a series so I figured why not give the first few a shot. Thanks again for the rec newts!

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god
The Charlie Parker books did get stronger as they went along. I enjoyed the series very much overall with more than an occasional horrified shudder. There are some very unpleasant denizens afoot.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
Just re-read Andy Kaufman Creeping Through the Trees and I wish someone would adapt a film version already, it’s so good.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Has anyone read The Boatman's Daughter? On sale today but the reviews are pretty middling

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Did Shitstorm Trooper write this article?

TALES FROM THE BACKLIST: NECROSCOPE’S FOCUS ON CONSENT RECONTEXTUALIZES 80S HORROR

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Opopanax posted:

Has anyone read The Boatman's Daughter? On sale today but the reviews are pretty middling

It's great, and I am actually selling a physical copy of it.

"Ample bloodshed is offset by beautiful prose . . . A stunning supernatural Southern Gothic." ―Kirkus (starred)
I really love the swamp noir feel of it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Erectopus
Sep 2, 2011

Opopanax posted:

I thought it was ok. The setting is pretty neat, southern gothic swamp with some Slavic folklore elements, but I thought the characters were fairly flat, so I found myself not really caring about what happened toward the end.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Yeah I had a really hard time getting into it because none of the characters grabbed me and I ended up returning it to the library before I got very far with it.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Erectopus posted:

I thought it was ok. The setting is pretty neat, southern gothic swamp with some Slavic folklore elements, but I thought the characters were fairly flat, so I found myself not really caring about what happened toward the end.

I really liked the bad guy, who for some reason conjured up Orson Welles in Touch of Evil and John Huston of Chinatown, so that helped a lot. The setting is amazing. The villains were generally more interesting in this, I will admit. The preacher gave me True Detective vibes.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Sep 1, 2022

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

Opopanax posted:

I did not care for it, I think the setting just wasn’t doing anything for me.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Horror thread, I have a weirdly specific request: first-person epistolary horror with a reading level that isn't impenetrable for an inexperienced reader.

One of the teens I work with recently discovered Doki Doki Literature Club, and was telling me about how much they liked the short story hidden in that game, which is essentially the first-person confession letter of young sociopath describing the circumstances of her first murder. Since I'm always eager to get these kids to read, and they said they'd be interested in checking out other things that strike a similar chord, I'm looking for something that might work for them. The first-person epistolary format is the secret sauce here, and I also don't want to scare them off with prose that's going to make them run to the dictionary every paragraph. Honestly, even good creepypasta might fit the bill, and act as a gateway drug to more serious horror lit. Any suggestions?

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill
Maybe John Dies at the End?

Edit: not sure if this counts as epistolary but you might also try Rant but Palahniuk. It reads mostly like a chat, if I remember correctly.

Whale Vomit fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Sep 5, 2022

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Kestral posted:

Horror thread, I have a weirdly specific request: first-person epistolary horror with a reading level that isn't impenetrable for an inexperienced reader.

One of the teens I work with recently discovered Doki Doki Literature Club, and was telling me about how much they liked the short story hidden in that game, which is essentially the first-person confession letter of young sociopath describing the circumstances of her first murder. Since I'm always eager to get these kids to read, and they said they'd be interested in checking out other things that strike a similar chord, I'm looking for something that might work for them. The first-person epistolary format is the secret sauce here, and I also don't want to scare them off with prose that's going to make them run to the dictionary every paragraph. Honestly, even good creepypasta might fit the bill, and act as a gateway drug to more serious horror lit. Any suggestions?

What age are these kids because lmao JDatE is not very kid appropriate

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

What age are these kids because lmao JDatE is not very kid appropriate

If the kid can handle Doki Doki Literature Club, they can probably handle John Dies at the End. Like it had one of the more unsettling depictions of self harm and suicide that I've come across, probably mostly because the ~kawaii anime~ aesthetics sort of throw you off expecting it. IDK, I also started reading Stephen King when I was 12, so I might have a bad sense of what bothers most kids or not.

For a suggestion, I haven't read it in a long time but I know I liked World War Z when I was a teen and found the oral history format really cool.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

DurianGray posted:

For a suggestion, I haven't read it in a long time but I know I liked World War Z when I was a teen and found the oral history format really cool.

Seconding this, it still holds up scarily well. It's the most "human" of any zombie thing I've ever seen and it's just really really good. The person being interviewed in one chapter talks about the last few people sending out and recieving radio broadcasts during the war and just thinking about it gives me chills.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Kestral posted:

Yeah, Max Brooks might be a good call as people said. Either World War Z or Devolution, depending on if they like zombies or weird squatch-monsters better.

John Dies at the End isn't a particularly high reading level in terms of language, but it's got more than a whiff of 2000's internet on it so it might be more "adult" than you're looking for. Also not epistolary at all so I don't know why it's being thrown out.

Carrie and Jerusalem's Lot (prequel to Salem's Lot) by King are both epistolary and King has many strengths as a writer, but he's not exactly intimidating and erudite in terms of prose. He is, after all, the master of mass market horror so he can't be too dense.

Night Film is weakly epistolary, it has epistolary elements, but it's not really there. It's also a pretty gripping little thriller with some moderate to heavy horror elements that might work.

I swear to god everything of Laird Barron's I've ever read is epistolary, or at least weakly trying to ape being a diary. Tendency to follow the trend of "world-weary dude discovers unspeakable horrors, tries to shoot them with gun", but pretty decent and has the benefit where you can kind of just grab whatever of his is there and go with it.

And I wouldn't discount kids' reading levels. When I was a tween I'd long since polished off most of the classic canon and was reading Lovecraft. Encountering new words and phrases is a good challenge and teaches you how to handle that later in life : it's exactly how your reading level improves and it's gotta be easier now when the kids are gonna have phones to google "cyclopean" on instead of like having to keep a pen as a bookmark to remember to look things up later.

Just start with like Dracula or something instead of throwing them straight into This Fishman Is An Allegory For The Polish.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

Nah I did enjoy it though. Thanks!

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Xiahou Dun posted:

I swear to god everything of Laird Barron's I've ever read is epistolary, or at least weakly trying to ape being a diary. Tendency to follow the trend of "world-weary dude discovers unspeakable horrors, tries to shoot them with gun", but pretty decent and has the benefit where you can kind of just grab whatever of his is there and go with it.

I love his short stories but goddammit that is so accurate :lol:

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

escape artist posted:

I love his short stories but goddammit that is so accurate :lol:

I didn't say it was a problem, I like his stuff too, but it's deffo his version of how all of King's protagonists are horror authors with substance abuse problems (who got hit by a van - recent addition).

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Peter Straub has passed away :(

day-gas
Dec 16, 2020

Finished Things Have Gotten Worse Since We Last Spoke as it finally hit Kindle. Gonna take a while to digest but it was very gripping, and managed to be intense via a chatlog which I would not have guessed possible. There were two other stories in the collection I got, but neither of them felt as immediate (for lack of a better word) as the first.

Gary the Llama
Mar 16, 2007
SHIGERU MIYAMOTO IS MY ILLEGITIMATE FATHER!!!

Kestral posted:

The answer you’re looking for:

day-gas posted:

Finished Things Have Gotten Worse Since We Last Spoke as it finally hit Kindle. Gonna take a while to digest but it was very gripping, and managed to be intense via a chatlog which I would not have guessed possible.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Peter Straub is really good if really boomer in places.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Kestral posted:

Try We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Listening to the Wine-Dark Sea by Robert Aickman. Just finished the titular story. Great narrator.

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill
What's a good place to start with Straub? I know he did that thing with King.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Whale Vomit posted:

What's a good place to start with Straub? I know he did that thing with King.

Ghost Story, Koko or Julia, in that order. Koko isn't strictly horror, but if The Silence of the Lambs can get called horror then Koko can too.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
As a teenager I remember enjoying The Floating Dragon, but that was like 30 years ago.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Would Penpal by Dathan Auerbach be a good read for the Halloween season?

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Franchescanado posted:

Would Penpal by Dathan Auerbach be a good read for the Halloween season?

Yes. I just finished it, it's a good read for any season. .

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

That’s a good one for the Curious Gamer Teen too since it’s originally a nosleep and not very literary (not talking poo poo, not everything has to be literary)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

So I was gonna make a big thing now that I've finished IT and let it marinate for a couple weeks, but really I think it comes down to a couple of things :

1) This book needed an editor who could stand up to King. This kind of dovetails into the next point, but seriously, this book does not need to be this long. The problem isn't that literally that there's too many pages : who gives a poo poo, Jonathon Strange and Mr. Norrell is my favorite book and I carry that son of a bitch on the train for my yearly re-read. The problem is it's just a mess. Which, I get that it's supposed to be to some extent. I really liked the interludes and the asides and cute little bits, especially anything that went into the history of Derry. But a lot of it could be cut or tightened or combined or something, anything besides just rambling on.

Or go the other way and turn it into something like an anthology or the equivalent of comic-book trades so that you're somehow segmenting this to at least prove that you know it's not just a pile of stuff. As is I was already getting to a section and thinking, "O, well I guess this is an Eddie chapter now" except I was actually 2 layers deep in someone else's framing chapter.

2) loving YIKES. Yeah, people weren't kidding around about this book. It is in fact like you gave a dude with minimal filter a poo poo ton of cocaine in the 80's and told him to write something edgy in the 50's.

Most of it I can kind of skate over and I'll just make fun of it forever, it didn't really bother me (most likely cause I'm a straight white dude), except for loving Richie's... """pikininy voice""" where he does a straight up loving minstrel show at intervals. It's somehow even worse than what he did with Susannah in The Dark Tower while also happening constantly even in dramatic scenes. It was outright unbearable and I couldn't even skip it because it contained plot-relevant material.

Beep beep, motherfucker.

3) Is this a new ending? Like one they added later? Because this was an actual good ending. By, nominally, Stephen King. I thought this was a really good way to wrap up the story and it worked really well? King is famously terrible at endings, why did no one tell me if one of this most famous books has him knocking it out of the park at the bottom of the 9th?

Overall, I sadly must admit that I mostly (mostly, not all) enjoyed it. A lot of it was really good and I very well might recommend it to a friend so long as they have a high tolerance for some bullshit and a strong back/they read in the same spot.

Now I gotta go reread The Dark Tower cause I'm pretty sure I answered some question I had about that cosmology and Dandelo.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I don't know if I ever agreed with the general consensus of ''King can't do endings," they weren't really all that bad for me, considering some of the weird plots his novel have. Other writers can get away with different kind of endings but when your plot is "trucks have a mind of their own and are trying to kill humanity" I don't know what possible ending one could expect that would blow you away.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
king had an absolute deathgrip on that stupid jive voice, I think he’s only let it go in the last decade

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

ravenkult posted:

I don't know if I ever agreed with the general consensus of ''King can't do endings," they weren't really all that bad for me, considering some of the weird plots his novel have. Other writers can get away with different kind of endings but when your plot is "trucks have a mind of their own and are trying to kill humanity" I don't know what possible ending one could expect that would blow you away.

I haven’t read enough King to personally go to bat for the reputation or its causes, I’m 100% going on that being just reported. In terms of his novels I’ve finished maybe a half a dozen or so out of like 70 or whatever insane number he has.

But IT has a legit thematically appropriate, bittersweet ending that ties things together an appropriate amount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

Oxxidation posted:

king had an absolute deathgrip on that stupid jive voice, I think he’s only let it go in the last decade

The way King writes Black people is so insanely bad. I haven't read much of his recent work so can't tell if it's improved lately.