Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Tagaziel posted:

Sir, do you have a moment to talk about our lord and savior, the legendary flamethrower with all heavy gun perks
Can I shoot someone a mile away with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
picky picky

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
The best thing about the Flamethrower, besides it's insane stopping power, is the fact that it's completely silent to the game. It's pretty much on par with the Fixer when it comes to stealth. lol

E: I see this has been mentioned. Duh.

Come to think of it, Explosive Flamethrowers, or rather all explosive energy weapons, have no bullet drop off as far as the game is concerned so, technically, you can shoot someone from a mile away with a Legacy energy weapon. Flamethrower, Gatling Plasma or Laser Rifle should all qualify for that. All cost an arm and a leg so don't soil your pants just now.

Sensenmann fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 28, 2022

Tagaziel
Aug 28, 2022

Ce n'est pas un chat.

Presto posted:

Can I shoot someone a mile away with it?

Catapults are not yet in the game, except for the nuclear PIAT, sadly.

Which rifle were you running with? I was a lever action rifle girl, before the Holy Flamer appeared to me in a random legendary drop.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

is the fatman silent?

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
Yes.

It's not completely silent but the projectile isn't launched via an explosion so it's close enough.

To test the noise level of any weapon just sneak close to a turret and fire away from it, the more the brackets of the sneak indicator spread the louder the weapon is.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Tagaziel posted:

Catapults are not yet in the game, except for the nuclear PIAT, sadly.

Which rifle were you running with? I was a lever action rifle girl, before the Holy Flamer appeared to me in a random legendary drop.
I mostly use a .45 lever action, but I have another .308 when I need to do... 1 more point of damage.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Good news! they're fixing the flamer barrel swap range bug! Bad news is they're sticking with the shortest range!

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
It's on the PTS, people hate it and Bethesda, as of late, has developed a bit of a habit to actually listen to feedback and are open to changes so I would expect changes before this hits Live.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Bethesda has listened to people before. They got rid of vault raids because people complained about them so much!

Drashin
Feb 26, 2013
I have recently gotten a steam deck and was wondering if anyone could vouch for how well Fallout 76 runs on it. I have also heard rumors of bans being laid down on people who play it on the steamdeck and was wondering if that is true or not.

Tagaziel
Aug 28, 2022

Ce n'est pas un chat.
I've pretty much moved all my casual gaming (Fallout 76 included) to the Deck and performance is good, and the SSD makes the loading times actually bearable. There might be some weirdness due to account connectivity, but it's nothing a restart won't fix. At pretty much max settings, I get a solid 40-50 FPS every time, and any slowdowns are not due to graphics performance, but server lags. The controller is pretty fun once you get used to it, and the default layout works pretty much out of the box with very little need for fiddling.

Everything transfers between PC and Steam Deck too, so I can say it's a really fun experience and really makes it a lot more pleasant to grind out the points for Seasons. I haven't heard of anyone getting banned and I've been using the Deck since April for all things FO76, and haven't been banned yet.

Summary: It gud.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I couldn’t even get FO76 to run on my deck but I’ll admit I didn’t try very hard.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

I'd like to play Fallout 4. Is there an up-to-date list of must-have/highly recommended mods to install?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I put almost 250h into 4 recently with the Horizon mod. It Changes the gameplay to make settlement building quite necessary and actually fun because they can produce resources for you and it basically makes the code gameplay loop better. Doesn't touch Story or quests or anything. Also it has an elder scrolls style skills system where you get better at skills by using them.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Without getting into the really heavy content mods, I like stuff like this:
Unofficial Patch
Mod Configuration Menu
Start Me Up - alternative starts
Survival Options - if you like parts of survival mode but not other parts
Weapons Overhaul Redux - rebalances essentially all the vanilla weapons and tries really hard to make all of them relevant and useful at all levels
Raze My Settlement - once you have manually done this a few times it becomes a gigantic chore to keep doing
Easy Hacking - gently caress this minigame
Easy Lockpicking - gently caress this minigame

I recommend you pick some mod(s) that allow you to craft legendary effects because it's a giant suck trying to farm up good legendaries. I use Legendary Modification but it depends on a huge mod framework that has fallen out of favor for various reasons (AWKCR). Maybe somebody has a more up to date alternative for this.

NB: if it's your first time playing through don't start with Horizon or any of the other massive content overhauls. Horizon is very much its Own Thing,

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Sep 3, 2022

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Out of all overhauls, Horizon changes the "base gameplay" the least imo and the story/quests are all intact and unchanged.

If you get the feeling of "I like the idea of building settlements but it has zero use/benefit" after playing the game for a while, definitely consider it.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

Okay cool, thanks :)

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Stranger in a Strange Land
Only one more week until I can live my dream of chainsaws being (kinda) good (maybe)! :peanut:

I suspect the chainsaw will be immediately outclassed by the auto-axe, but I'm hoping it's still viable. The current round of changes sound good on paper - Martial Artist and faster swing speed legendary effect increasing rate of hits sounds good, and I saw a video of someone using Hack and Slash to set off rapid-fire chains of explosions with a chainsaw in VATS, and that looked like a good time too.

I fully anticipate the actual live implementation being busted in some way that'll take them years to fix, but my hope is that it's busted good this time, instead of busted bad.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I decided to finally try out the sniper build i have and yea, its awesome. Though i feel i'm hampered by my gun. Using the Soul Survivor, tried a gauss rifle, but it was only really effective as a first strike weapon. Maybe i should try to get a legendary hunting rifle?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

twistedmentat posted:

I decided to finally try out the sniper build i have and yea, its awesome. Though i feel i'm hampered by my gun. Using the Soul Survivor, tried a gauss rifle, but it was only really effective as a first strike weapon. Maybe i should try to get a legendary hunting rifle?

Most snipers are a first-strike weapon; either take out the largest threat (or a decent chunk of its health), and then you switch to medium range rifles and grenades, or close-range shotguns and melee

iTrust
Mar 25, 2010

It's not good for your health.

:frogc00l:
I guess this is a good time to have finally decided to play this game? The general hype for the upcoming Patch is pretty nice to see.

Also super glad I decided to start playing this. My partner has played on PS4 for a while and they convinced me to pick it up when it was on sale on Steam recently.

I'm in the mid 30's just now and have been playing through more or less as if this is a Single Player Fallout game except sometimes a thing happens and I see another Human Being. Its honestly pretty great, playing this way. I've been using Lone Wanderer to good effect.

Overall game has been a pleasant surprise to actually play and form my own opinion of.

I've been attacked by big bat guys (one of which I attempted to take down and promptly burned through all of my .50 cal ammo for about half of its health bar) and the world generally feels dangerous and interesting, which is a huge plus. I like the stories I've followed so far as well; I've been working on getting the Scorched Detection system up and running, the overseer has asked me to meet her at the Nuka Plant and there's a Tunnel Snake with a bar at my camp who sends me on errands that recently involved murdering a bunch of cultists.

I also really liked the Mistress of Mysteries questline and now I roam appalachia in a sweet dress.

Built into Stealth Rifles/Pistols and I keep a combat shotgun handy for emergencies and its been serving me well. Its a little overextended, it feels like, but it's working so whatever. I was lucky enough to grab a 50% ArPen Hunting Rifle early on and a 50% ArPen .44 so those combined with the shotgun and sneak mean I'm pretty effective and not really burning through stimpacks at all.

I dont really have any questions and some things are slightly unintuitive, but for the most part I'm having a blast and feel like I'm definitely playing a good Bethesda Fallout game, so that's nice.

Guess i just wanted to spew some of my early game thoughts and impressions out there so I hope you enjoyed this post.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

iTrust posted:

I guess this is a good time to have finally decided to play this game? The general hype for the upcoming Patch is pretty nice to see.

Also super glad I decided to start playing this. My partner has played on PS4 for a while and they convinced me to pick it up when it was on sale on Steam recently.

I'm in the mid 30's just now and have been playing through more or less as if this is a Single Player Fallout game except sometimes a thing happens and I see another Human Being. Its honestly pretty great, playing this way. I've been using Lone Wanderer to good effect.

Overall game has been a pleasant surprise to actually play and form my own opinion of.

I've been attacked by big bat guys (one of which I attempted to take down and promptly burned through all of my .50 cal ammo for about half of its health bar) and the world generally feels dangerous and interesting, which is a huge plus. I like the stories I've followed so far as well; I've been working on getting the Scorched Detection system up and running, the overseer has asked me to meet her at the Nuka Plant and there's a Tunnel Snake with a bar at my camp who sends me on errands that recently involved murdering a bunch of cultists.

I also really liked the Mistress of Mysteries questline and now I roam appalachia in a sweet dress.

Built into Stealth Rifles/Pistols and I keep a combat shotgun handy for emergencies and its been serving me well. Its a little overextended, it feels like, but it's working so whatever. I was lucky enough to grab a 50% ArPen Hunting Rifle early on and a 50% ArPen .44 so those combined with the shotgun and sneak mean I'm pretty effective and not really burning through stimpacks at all.

I dont really have any questions and some things are slightly unintuitive, but for the most part I'm having a blast and feel like I'm definitely playing a good Bethesda Fallout game, so that's nice.

Guess i just wanted to spew some of my early game thoughts and impressions out there so I hope you enjoyed this post.

I always enjoy new players posting their impressions. :)

The game has definitely come a long way from the dumpster fire it was on release but these days it's really good, especially if you play on a team with people who know what they're doing.

If you ever need help with anything just ask here or jump on the Discord. ;)

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Just a small warning, the difficulty / damage enemies will do jumps rapidly in the 40s so you want to focus your perks on one weapon type really.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
Reminder: Next patch drops next tuesday, which means Season 9 end with the servers going down for maintenance. Claim any rewards you have left before that.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
When will the Mothman power armor paint return I need it

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

hunting rifle/sniper rifle honestly suck kind of a lot. really a pity they just never feel good at all. the lever action is imo the best choice in terms of damage/ROF/reload. the gauss is very good if you can get the knack of charging/releasing quickly without it being irritating but the lever action hits hard enough that it's good enough. a bunch of legendary modifiers are very good choices and it basically just needs the chinese stealth suit to make it work, once you have all your sneak attack perk poo poo.

if you can make the gauss work then you might also try a bow build because it's pretty similar mechanically and how you play it (charge/release).

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Flesh Forge posted:

if you can make the gauss work then you might also try a bow build because it's pretty similar mechanically and how you play it (charge/release).

I've actually been curious about this, are bow builds able to hold up at high levels? It felt like a gimmick thing at first pass, and I don't think I've ever seen another player with any sort of bow, but the idea of a stealth archer is cool in theory. I assume bows are treated as automatically silenced weapons for purposes of sneak attack perks?

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

iTrust posted:

Same. I've been a fan of the Fallout series since the first game but I passed on '76 when it came out because it just didn't sound like what I was looking for out of Fallout games. I likewise splurged on it during the recent Steam sale after hearing it was much better, I'm playing like it was single player as well (in fact I'm at the same spots story- and level-wise except I've recruited the astronaut as my camp ally instead) and having a lot of fun!

FrickenMoron posted:

Just a small warning, the difficulty / damage enemies will do jumps rapidly in the 40s so you want to focus your perks on one weapon type really.
Thanks for the head's up. I was leaning in that direction already but it's good to know for sure. Speaking of which...

Flesh Forge posted:

hunting rifle/sniper rifle honestly suck kind of a lot. really a pity they just never feel good at all. the lever action is imo the best choice in terms of damage/ROF/reload.
Thanks for this as well. I'm running a sniper build in the mid-30s right using a .50cal sniper rifle and it's still okay for the most part but a little weak for some of the really tough enemies so it's nice to know what to look for. I think this'll suit me better than the gauss gun as I just want to pull the trigger instead of fiddling with the charging.

Also, I know I'm way late to the party on this but Goddamn is the "Search nearby corpses" function great! No more scouring the grass trying to find that last creature I capped.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Blockhouse posted:

When will the Mothman power armor paint return I need it

You can ask beth support you want it from the atom shop and they will give it to you and deduct the atoms directly.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

FrickenMoron posted:

You can ask beth support you want it from the atom shop and they will give it to you and deduct the atoms directly.

Wait, is this seriously a thing?

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Blockhouse posted:

Seconding this, you can just...order poo poo from the atom shop by submitting a help ticket?? This game is wild.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Morality_Police posted:

I've actually been curious about this, are bow builds able to hold up at high levels? It felt like a gimmick thing at first pass, and I don't think I've ever seen another player with any sort of bow, but the idea of a stealth archer is cool in theory. I assume bows are treated as automatically silenced weapons for purposes of sneak attack perks?

it works pretty well, yes it's silent. it doesn't hit as hard as the gauss rifle at full charge but it hits hard enough to headshot level 100 supermutants. ammo is made out of trash too.
e: if anything it's better now since they buffed energy damage (fit it with the plasma mod)
some vids on it (maybe I misremember about 100 supermutants, ymmv but definitely give it a try)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwhMG6-IWgc&t=86s

consider crossbow, it can roll quad apparently never mind, guess not any more:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUw-WEwPSro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwG2wWeXtJ0

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Sep 8, 2022

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Blockhouse posted:

I talked to a few people about this on discord before and it keeps being posted on reddit etc.
If you open a ticket about having trouble with atom shop purchases they can offer to let you just get the item if you have the atoms required. Note however that you can't pick single items from bundles etc and there will be no discounts.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Flesh Forge posted:

Extremely good and cool bow info

Welp, time to start grabbing up bow perks, that looks fun as hell. I guess the reason I haven't seen anyone with a bow is because they were wearing Chinese stealth armor and crouching.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Morality_Police posted:

Welp, time to start grabbing up bow perks, that looks fun as hell. I guess the reason I haven't seen anyone with a bow is because they were wearing Chinese stealth armor and crouching.

Didn't bother watching the videos since I tried bows very recently so here are my views on it:

A bow is perfectly fine as daily driver but for the big events you might want something faster to get more XP from the mobs. No big deal, though, just replace the Archer perks with Commando perks, done.

The Compound Bow deals slightly more damage and takes slighty less AP to use so, imo, it's the better choice. AP doesn't really matter for bows, you usually regain what you spend in between shots but if you aren't using Action Boy/Girl or play Bloodied/Unyielding it might be the deciding factor.

Also keep in mind that, at least with the Compound Bow, you need to do a full draw or you might miss a lot.

Explosive Arrows, and Demo Expert 5, are nice for more damage. Bows can't roll with Explosive, if you find one in a player vendor, it's injected.

Less AP cost is a modifier you don't need because the fire rate is so low. Don't get fleeced if you want to buy one. Faster Fire Rate, same thing. Bows have the same problem with FFR as Gauss Rifles. Draw or charge, both don't benefit as much from FFR as you'd expect.

Bloodied is, obviously, the best one. AA and Juggernaut are second. Instigating appeared bugged as the damage from that with Explosive Arrows was kinda disappointing. Executioner or Furious are scrip. Most CBs are two shots max kill weapons so neither modifier is needed. Vampires is also scrip. It's not fast enough to make good use of the Vamp effect.

Plasma Arrows are probably the best for perfect stealth, Explosive is a bit more tricky but you are using them to snipe so it doesn't matter that much.

Basically, what you should be looking for if you want a top tier bow is Bloodied, AA or Juggernaut with 50% VATS hits chance and 15% Crit Fill rate.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
OP Stealth Archery? In a Bethesda game? Why I never

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I wouldn't say it's OP, it's pretty good and there's definitely worse stuff but it's never going to be up there with a good commando setup or like, the flamer or shredder
e: the big downside to bows is the best stuff is locked behind the faction grind, but that's not as bad now as it used to be at least since they added those new faction events.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I've tried Bloodied with a Gauss shotgun and it's fun but I find a Minigun with exploding rounds more fun to unload on hoards with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
Reminder: Tomorrow is patch day, claim anything you have left on the Scoreboard before maintenance starts.