Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Could I have BEEN cooler at 17?

Depends. What was going on under the cap?
Frosted tips? Disney Teen Boy Bowlcut? Spiked back gelled short hair?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

FilthyImp posted:

Depends. What was going on under the cap?
Frosted tips? Disney Teen Boy Bowlcut? Spiked back gelled short hair?

At this point i think it was shoulder-length hair with a shaved undercut.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
An undercut? In the late 90s?

Like, ponytail Brad from Home Improvement undercut?

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

dialhforhero posted:

An undercut? In the late 90s?

Like, ponytail Brad from Home Improvement undercut?

That’s a bingo!

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
New Todd In The Shadows covering Mötley Crüe's ill-fated transition into the '90s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeoPMjdFJjQ

I know rock music has a long history of cringe-inducing "I just became a dad" songs, but hooooooly crap, "Brandon" is on a whole other level. I will treasure this knowledge.

quote:

You bring those tears into my eyes so well
I've been waiting for this day so long
Brandon, I love you
You are the one, Brandon, my son

Your mother gave birth to you with love inside
She had candlelight and songs of life
Brandon, I love you, I love her, she is your mom

Sir Lemming has a new favorite as of 23:13 on Sep 6, 2022

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

Of course there was their one big mainstream hit, Wynona's big brown beaver.
[

Was that a bigger song than "Jerry was a Race Car Driver" or was it just that the stuff from Sailing the Seas of Cheese probably aired on 120 Minutes (or maybe Heabanger's Ball depending on the mood) and "Wynona ..." was a Buzz Bin staple.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

"Jerry was a Race Car Driver" hit 23 on the alternative charts. "Wynona's Big Brown Beaver" hit 12 on the alternative charts and 23 on the mainstream charts.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
It's kind of funny how many 80s rock stars looked at what Nirvana was doing and had no idea how respond to it. Except Bon Jovi, apparently.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Despite the marketing being all about "irony" Nirvana and most of its ilk were really quite loving sincere, and managed to sincerely rock. If they weren't sincere they'd have been dismissed as a gimmick like most late 90s stuff did, and if they didn't rock they'd have gotten thrown out like emo did. It really is still quite an impressive cultural impact crater, even if by '92 the movie "Singles" already accidentally had that whole style down to a very commodified joke:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4tQFsPTGXI

Matt Dillon dressed up like a Spirit Halloween Eddie Vedder and Bridget Fonda decked out as proto-Blossom is such a vicious parody until you realize it's dead loving serious.

Found this looking up that trailer too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMJDGRwexCY

Lmao Grohl is playing ball but Cobain is having none of it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While on the topic does anyone know why some people really denigrated Grunge and 90s Alt-Rock as super soft/sappy? Like yeah there's some real sensitive/sad boi poo poo in there, but even at the time I recall hearing a bunch of dumb poo poo about how all the music was so whiny and by/about people with no real problems, and that seems like... empirically untrue unless you're cherry-picking. It's not like emo (and even emo got a bit of an unfair rep in places).

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

mind the walrus posted:

Despite the marketing being all about "irony" Nirvana and most of its ilk were really quite loving sincere, and managed to sincerely rock. If they weren't sincere they'd have been dismissed as a gimmick like most late 90s stuff did, and if they didn't rock they'd have gotten thrown out like emo did...It's not like emo (and even emo got a bit of an unfair rep in places).

At this point I'm gonna ask what you consider emo. Because I've never heard anybody suggest that Dag Nasty and Fugazi didn't rock.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Phanatic posted:

At this point I'm gonna ask what you consider emo. Because I've never heard anybody suggest that Dag Nasty and Fugazi didn't rock.

Ugh here we go. Ok fine "screamo" what the gently caress ever.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

the gently caress's wrong with emo

e: or screamo for that matter

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMJDGRwexCY

Lmao Grohl is playing ball but Cobain is having none of it.

As a non-90s aside, the Heart reference mentioned was the Wilson sisters (as The Lovemongers) doing a fantastic cover of The Battle of Evermore.

I wore my cassette of the Singles soundtrack out in my 1990 Sentra, with its auto seat belts and cheap factory stereo.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

There's an episode of IDEOTV where they review a book full of interviews with third-rate late period hair metal bands complaining about how they never made it big, and the reason isn't grunge, it's because they were trying to make hair metal 2-3 years after anyone stopped giving a poo poo about it.

http://www.idontevenownatelevision.com/2021/09/26/168-nothin-but-a-good-time/

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'm pretty sure 90% of the time when people say "emo" they mean stuff like Dashboard Confessional. Not whoever technically originated it in the late '80s or whatever. Like many subgenres I think some of that stuff has gotten a re-appraisal and, much like with Nü-metal, that whole "quit whining" attitude is finally falling out of favor. At the time it was definitely considered "soft" though.

However, I have no idea what that has to do with Grunge. Some wires getting crossed I think. Not sure if I'm looking through rose-colored glasses, but it seems to me like pretty much everyone was pumped about it at the time, except for the aforementioned aging hair metal bands -- who were not critical darlings themselves.

There was definitely some popular conception in some circles that "Grunge didn't have guitar solos", which has always been strange because almost all Grunge bands actually had plenty of guitar solos. I guess they weren't the right kind of solos, like Van Halen shredding. But that seemed to be kind of the minority opinion. I guess if you were really into Metallica you might've had a bone to pick there, especially when they kind of tried to go more "Alternative" themselves.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

mind the walrus posted:

While on the topic does anyone know why some people really denigrated Grunge and 90s Alt-Rock as super soft/sappy? Like yeah there's some real sensitive/sad boi poo poo in there, but even at the time I recall hearing a bunch of dumb poo poo about how all the music was so whiny and by/about people with no real problems, and that seems like... empirically untrue unless you're cherry-picking. It's not like emo (and even emo got a bit of an unfair rep in places).

because openly expressing strong, usually negative or dysphoric, emotions and mental health state in a vulnerable way, instead of stone cold stoicism or violent aggression, is associated with emotional/constitutional weakness and femininity, both of which are considered Very Bad and Unbecoming traits in men

people like Kurt Cobain built their careers singing plainly about experiencing personal struggle with unhappiness, ennui, mental illness, social pressure and expectation, sexual identity and queerness, class, addiction and medicalization, and so forth—you know, gay poo poo, as opposed to writing songs about pussy and money and partying and fighting wars and being proud of your working class status (even tho you personally became a millionaire at 18) and winning, usually in broad and unspecified ways

these concerns have always been derided by fasciststraditionalists as “not real problems” in the same way that certain people will often denigrate or belittle the struggles of people with mental illness or addiction or marginalized status, and/or justify treating those people badly, withholding support or treatment, putting them on the street, criminalizing their behavior, etc.

And then on top of everything else, after years of singing about “not real problems” some performers like Cobain actually go and take their own lives or publicly struggle with self-harm behaviors (as opposed to demurely self-destructing behind the scenes with alcohol and drugs and partying too much, such that everybody can see what a winner you are), thus adding to the idea that they’re weak or incapable of facing reality or melodramatic, or whatever dogshit opinion about suicide and what influences it you want to add to the assessment.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I feel like the vast majority of negativity toward emo is based on the more nasally, whiny singing of the "mall emo" era (mid-2000s), but really I think it was just another excuse people made to poo poo on millennial teenagers because it was leaking into the mainstream.

It's interesting to pay attention to the genre now, because a handful of the bands and artists from that time are coming back around to relevance again, this time with nostalgia fueling interest in them-- but from the way I've observed it, it looks like newer wave emo bands are back to being not mainstream and well known, while emo has shifted more over to hip-hop in the mainstream. I work with kids for a living and one of them told me he was emo, and I was all "oh yeah, I was into that when I was your age! what do you like?" and he listed off a bunch of rap and hip-hop artists I'd never really heard of up to that point. It's fascinating to observe! He said it's pretty popular these days, when back when I was his age in the 2000s it was generally more viewed negatively by the general public.

But that's all 2000s and forward.

I feel like a lot of that stemmed from 90s grunge and alt-rock though. Departing from the 70s-80s era rock bands where it was all about the sex, drugs, and rock n' roll, people started singing more about the things that made them unhappy. Lots of 2000s emo bands were inspired by more underground punk/hardcore, but also by more mainstream 90s bands like Nirvana or Smashing Pumpkins.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Emo to me will always mean stuff like Bright Eyes, where the production value is roughly "guy with a poo poo guitar recording into a tape deck on the floor of his bathroom"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GHyLhbdzN0

Elliot Smith does not qualify, oddly enough.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Fuckin love Bright Eyes. The most recent album had a pretty fantastic production value, compared to earlier stuff lol

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
a lot of the hate aimed at “Emo” in the 2000s was really just thinly disguised homo/queer/biphobia tbh

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ok Comboomer posted:

a lot of the hate aimed at “Emo” in the 2000s was really just thinly disguised homo/queer/biphobia tbh

Yuuuuuup.

Kids are finally getting the space to openly talk about their feelings and sexuality and old guard shitheads we're having none of it.

Yes, some of that music was embarrassing in hindsight but gently caress me I still listen to The Postal Service.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

Yuuuuuup.

Kids are finally getting the space to openly talk about their feelings and sexuality and old guard shitheads we're having none of it.

Yes, some of that music was embarrassing in hindsight but gently caress me I still listen to The Postal Service.

there are certain elements to that era (and beyond, especially beyond. god some of the stuff from ~2010 was dire. Like crabcore) and style of music that weren’t great and were actually pretty toxic, or appeared to celebrate/encourage that toxicity.

Todd in the Shadows’ video on Red Jumpsuit Apparatus made the point that a lot of the themes and lyrical content present in 2000s “Emo” and it’s adjacents could be easily described as “late teens/early-to-mid 20s (or even early 30s) guy berates and/or emotionally abuses a young woman in his life for doing something (or not doing something) that he does not like.” Red Jumpsuit Apparatus’ unabashed Christian and anti-abuse/misogyny angle made them kind of a breath of fresh air in that space of the genre because of that, even if it was cloying.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Framboise posted:

I feel like the vast majority of negativity toward emo is based on the more nasally, whiny singing of the "mall emo" era (mid-2000s), but really I think it was just another excuse people made to poo poo on millennial teenagers because it was leaking into the mainstream.

It's interesting to pay attention to the genre now, because a handful of the bands and artists from that time are coming back around to relevance again, this time with nostalgia fueling interest in them-- but from the way I've observed it, it looks like newer wave emo bands are back to being not mainstream and well known, while emo has shifted more over to hip-hop in the mainstream. I work with kids for a living and one of them told me he was emo, and I was all "oh yeah, I was into that when I was your age! what do you like?" and he listed off a bunch of rap and hip-hop artists I'd never really heard of up to that point. It's fascinating to observe! He said it's pretty popular these days, when back when I was his age in the 2000s it was generally more viewed negatively by the general public.

There's also just an Emo revival going on in general; Promise Ring did a few shows in the mid 10's, and there's some new bands keeping that sound alive, like The World Is a Beautiful Place & I Am No Longer Afraid to Die, Empire! Empire!, Modern Baseball, and Into It. Over It.

(NGL, the weirder a band's name is the more likely I am to check them out. See: Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Giraffes! Giraffes!, A Silver Mount Zion)

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

Neito posted:

There's also just an Emo revival going on in general; Promise Ring did a few shows in the mid 10's, and there's some new bands keeping that sound alive, like The World Is a Beautiful Place & I Am No Longer Afraid to Die, Empire! Empire!, Modern Baseball, and Into It. Over It.

(NGL, the weirder a band's name is the more likely I am to check them out. See: Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Giraffes! Giraffes!, A Silver Mount Zion)

here's where i stan for Microwave, Stoval is an amazing record

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
The Cure owns and Shoegaze owns and to me that’s real emo.

Burn is still the absolute best song and literally I look forward to watching The Crow just for that song.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

dialhforhero posted:

The Cure owns and Shoegaze owns and to me that’s real emo.

Burn is still the absolute best song and literally I look forward to watching The Crow just for that song.

speaking of the Crow and shoegaze...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7sHOZ1hVk8

that one was a remix by the Cocteau Twins, this is the previous version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEdKeXFS-wE

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

uber_stoat posted:

speaking of the Crow and shoegaze...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7sHOZ1hVk8

that one was a remix by the Cocteau Twins, this is the previous version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEdKeXFS-wE

I remember when I bought that Medicine cd and was surprised by the difference between the soundtrack version and the LP. Immediate reaction was WTF but spent some time with it. Good record.

Also second for Cures Burn being best Cure song but wife gets mad when I say that. I double down and play 90s covers of Cure songs like the one on Dinosaur Jr Fossils and Alkaline Trios version of Exploding Boy.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I don't really see that for 2000s emo music that it was some big celebration being hampered. In fact I'd say it's closer to the beginning of the incel movement.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Edit: double post

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I don't really see that for 2000s emo music that it was some big celebration being hampered. In fact I'd say it's closer to the beginning of the incel movement.

I get what you’re saying with a lot of the “entitled boy on the social periphery seething at a girl” aesthetics and themes, but also IME your average 2000s Emo Boy was way more likely to have a friend group of mostly (or at least close to 50/50) girls compared to a lot of the other subgenre scenes of the time

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Ok Comboomer posted:

I get what you’re saying with a lot of the “entitled boy on the social periphery seething at a girl” aesthetics and themes, but also IME your average 2000s Emo Boy was way more likely to have a friend group of mostly (or at least close to 50/50) girls compared to a lot of the other subgenre scenes of the time

I will say there were probably a lot more girl fans of emo bands than other genres but I think you could post lyrics from taking back Sunday or Under oath today on the incel subreddit and no one would notice.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I will say there were probably a lot more girl fans of emo bands than other genres but I think you could post lyrics from taking back Sunday or Under oath today on the incel subreddit and no one would notice.

even a lot of the really quality hardcore coming out back then fell into that, if they were at least a little more articulate about it. thinking about bands like horrorshow and american nightmare

but this is not 90s talk, though i will gladly talk about 90s hardocre forever

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

This one is a 2000 model year, but this was THE poo poo YOU WANTED if you were a teenager getting your license in 1999 in the US.

Peak boy-racer

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

This one is a 2000 model year, but this was THE poo poo YOU WANTED if you were a teenager getting your license in 1999 in the US.

Peak boy-racer

dream bigger

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Ok Comboomer posted:

dream bigger

I have one of these too 🤫

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Ok Comboomer posted:

dream bigger

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

I have one of these too 🤫

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Ok Comboomer posted:

dream bigger

Those were loving awesome. More than 100hp/liter out of a naturally-aspirated flat 4.

My buddy had one. Someone totaled it rear-ending him at a stoplight.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Too new for the 90’s! Launched in 2000 as an ‘01.

I had an M3 as well but it was an E92.

Phanatic posted:

Those were loving awesome. More than 100hp/liter out of a naturally-aspirated flat 4.

My buddy had one. Someone totaled it rear-ending him at a stoplight.

In the AP1, 2.0 inline-four making 240hp revving to 9000rpm.

Imperador do Brasil has a new favorite as of 01:52 on Sep 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Too new for the 90’s! Launched in 2000 as an ‘01.

I had an M3 as well but it was an E92.

I thought it was revealed in ‘99 for a ‘00 MY. My bad