Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

To be fair John wick is also a reactionary protagonist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Tampa Bae posted:

It was Kubo's gift and curse to keep introducing so many side-characters that were so much more interesting than Ichigo was. Ichigo fell off right after rescuing Rukia and was always a reactionary protagonist to begin with so with no goals in mind the only motivation for him the entire series was to keep kidnapping his friends. Ichigo didn't even clear the low bar Goku set by just being obsessed with fighting strong people, Ichigo just wanted to go back to school and live an entirely normal life almost from the get-go

Although it is kind of funny that Ichigo was supposed to be a brilliant student who worked hard in school because you wouldn't believe it with how dumb he would act otherwise. Just standing there mouth agape while everyone took turns stabbing momo without attempting to stop it is pretty up there in dumb things any protagonist has ever done

Which is disappointing because at one point Kubo even had kind of a good hook for Ichigo's character arc when his Hollow was like "nah, you actually love this poo poo quit pretending"

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

also there was an interesting arc to be explored after he killed ulquiorra, and ichigo was experiencing intense remorse, which kubo did seem interested in exploring but couldn't quite nail it, considering how many people just complained about ichigo being "emo" at that point.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I feel like it's not Hitsugaya's character's fault that he was so popular. Also Momo getting so utterly owned will never stop being funny, I'm sorry.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Gologle posted:

I feel like it's not Hitsugaya's character's fault that he was so popular. Also Momo getting so utterly owned will never stop being funny, I'm sorry.

Having jumped into the series midway it was so surreal to go back and find out that wasn't the first time Aizen hosed with Momo like that. Dude had something against the poor girl.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Hitsugaya's character is just boring, mostly. He's unironically better in the anime filler content because he actually gets to do things besides brood and get endlessly owned in fights.

Stairmaster posted:

also there was an interesting arc to be explored after he killed ulquiorra, and ichigo was experiencing intense remorse, which kubo did seem interested in exploring but couldn't quite nail it, considering how many people just complained about ichigo being "emo" at that point.

Ichigo's remorse over killing Ulquiorra makes no sense though. Like I get it Kubo's trying to parallel when the hollow took over for Ichigo vs Byakuya, but in that fight Ichigo was fighting not to kill Byakuya, but to prove his ideology wrong and he felt like a third party interfering in the fight diluted its purpose. With Ulq though Ichigo just straight up needed him dead so he could rescue Orihime. Hell earlier in the arc when Ulq first tells Ichigo he's the one who kidnapped Orihime Ichigo immediately goes full bankai + mask mode and max power getsugas him intending for the kill. I'd get if the angle had been Ichigo once again being scared shitless by his hollow, but instead it's him crying that he killed the guy he's been trying to kill for like 100 chapters.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ichigo is cool. Wish he got to do more stuff outside of running up stairs.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Yusuke is also a mostly reactive protagonist and he works out fine. IIRC the final arc is the only one that's bc of a decision he makes for himself instead of being given a mission or being threatened.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Sydin posted:

With Ulq though Ichigo just straight up needed him dead so he could rescue Orihime. Hell earlier in the arc when Ulq first tells Ichigo he's the one who kidnapped Orihime Ichigo immediately goes full bankai + mask mode and max power getsugas him intending for the kill. I'd get if the angle had been Ichigo once again being scared shitless by his hollow, but instead it's him crying that he killed the guy he's been trying to kill for like 100 chapters.

ichigo was not thinking in terms of murder for any of his fights and often shocked his opponents with his attempts to heal their wounds. Also ULQ triggered him in that instance.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Sydin posted:

Hitsugaya's character is just boring, mostly. He's unironically better in the anime filler content because he actually gets to do things besides brood and get endlessly owned in fights.

Ichigo's remorse over killing Ulquiorra makes no sense though. Like I get it Kubo's trying to parallel when the hollow took over for Ichigo vs Byakuya, but in that fight Ichigo was fighting not to kill Byakuya, but to prove his ideology wrong and he felt like a third party interfering in the fight diluted its purpose. With Ulq though Ichigo just straight up needed him dead so he could rescue Orihime. Hell earlier in the arc when Ulq first tells Ichigo he's the one who kidnapped Orihime Ichigo immediately goes full bankai + mask mode and max power getsugas him intending for the kill. I'd get if the angle had been Ichigo once again being scared shitless by his hollow, but instead it's him crying that he killed the guy he's been trying to kill for like 100 chapters.

Well maybe he was upset because Orihime was upset. About the only thing Orihime ended up doing in that arc was forming a bond with Ulquiorra but now the dude is dead dead. As I recall the way this thing worked in Bleach, Hollows get purified by zanpakutos and thus aren't really destroyed so much as changed. Because of the way he was defeated, Ulquiorra just doesn't exist anymore at all in the Bleach universe.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Stairmaster posted:

ichigo was not thinking in terms of murder for any of his fights and often shocked his opponents with his attempts to heal their wounds. Also ULQ triggered him in that instance.

Untrue, there are plenty of fights where Ichigo is going for the kill: vs Zaraki (mostly because he had no choice), Ulq (because he was big mad), Aizen (Ichigo straight up tries to decapitate him when he first shows up in fake Karakura, and laments he should have used his mask when it doesn't work), Ginjou (which to be fair Ichigo had been put through the goddamn wringer by the fullbringers), and in the final arc Ichigo is not at all shy about being there to kill quincies.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
in the last arc, everyone is totally psyched to kill some quincies. this includes the quincies.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
my biggest gripe with Hitsugaya is that his power is ice that does ice things in a series with people whose power are "children games become real" or "lol left is now right" or "my sword actually cuts"

like he doesn't even get anything fun or creative like "my sword is 10 bajillion degrees hot and explodes anything that it touches and also i have sun armor"

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

he's not even the only person with ice powers that do ice things

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

lezard_valeth posted:

my biggest gripe with Hitsugaya is that his power is ice that does ice things in a series with people whose power are "children games become real" or "lol left is now right" or "my sword actually cuts"

like he doesn't even get anything fun or creative like "my sword is 10 bajillion degrees hot and explodes anything that it touches and also i have sun armor"

Hey it turns into a dragon

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I mean on paper Hitsugaya is supposed to have a ton of powers with the thing. He can control the weather and freeze/melt all water/ice in the atmosphere in a good area around him, so there's a ton of potential for him to do cool stuff like cause torrential rain that he then freezes into hailing ice bullets, or surround his opponent in water and then call down a lightning strike. But he never does anything that neat and just kinda throws ice at people over and over in a nondescript manner and gets owned.

And yeah compare Rukia's sword which initially has three distinct abilities that are ice-themed, and then later when Kubo retcons her power she gets the absolute zero blade which can cut through everything and a distinct if relatively simple bankai power. All of these are way cooler than "I grow ice wings and uh... throw ice at you, I guess."

Sydin fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Sep 6, 2022

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

ya but the ice is a dragon, consider that

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kild posted:

ya but the ice is a dragon, consider that

Only in shikai though.

Also loling rembering that Hitsugaya and Harribel's fight is canonically so loving boring and lifeless that Aizen gets bored watching it and punishes them by murking Harribel and making Hitsugaya bat Momo's body around a couple minutes before breaking the illusion, laughing, and cutting Hitsugaya in half.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

his fight with bazz b was actually kind of clever

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

Ichigo started off killing the poo poo out of a bunch of hollows

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Well obviously that's not murder.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

the real monster was man all along

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Waffleman_ posted:

Well obviously that's not murder.

They're already dead, how can you murder something that's already dead.

*looks at Soul Society's execution method*

I mean besides that.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Tunicate posted:

Ichigo started off killing the poo poo out of a bunch of hollows

When you kill a hollow, it purifies and goes to Soul Society. It literally isn't murder. Uryu and the Quincies are the ones who destroy souls.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yeah it's worse: they are consigned to eternity of being a spirit serf in a fantasy feudal Japan that somehow sucks even more than the real one, oblivion of final death is far more merciful in comparison.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
Bleach could've really benefited from having Soul Society, The Vizards, The Quincy, The Hollows, Hell, and The Living, and Fullbringers as simultaneous factions with their own goals and ideals in place at the same time instead of introducing them as stepping stones along the plot.

At least it would've made for Ichigo being pulled in several different directions more interesting since he was part quincy, soul reaper, Vizard, living, and fullbringer by the end.

Just off the top of my head The Vizards/Urahara could have gripes with Soul Society for how they treat their lower class, The Quincy/Soul Society clash over how to deal with Hollows, Vasto Lords there arguing that while Hollows are innately chaotic in nature Hueco Mundo is the true purgatory, The Full Bringers/Living are objecting to all these otherworldly kingdoms trying to interfere in their world and by the end the gates of hell are just opened up because of all the blood shed on all sides and representatives from every faction have to work together to stop doomsday from spilling over into every single plane of existence.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/NY_Comic_Con/status/1565783182800191488?t=clWG0-jRqNDffHjZvVkRdw&s=19

Simulcast confirmation. Viz retweeted it so it's not a mistake on NYCC's part

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Sep 7, 2022

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/oricon/status/1568892111969460225?s=20&t=g_7SVaGPNTyWuRzz3XCAmQ

Split four cour

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Do they say how many episodes each cour is?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Covok posted:

When you kill a hollow, it purifies and goes to Soul Society. It literally isn't murder. Uryu and the Quincies are the ones who destroy souls.

Actually something I wanted to see was whether this happens to Arrancar as well. Although considering Szayel was sent to hell instead...

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

New trailer too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzR82oXbjnY

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
this looks clean af let's gooooo

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Plutonis posted:

Actually something I wanted to see was whether this happens to Arrancar as well. Although considering Szayel was sent to hell instead...

I think if anything, since menos are just massive conglomerations of souls, the individual souls in them would get purified and put back in the reincarnation cycle

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

we get some Szayel backstory in the first light novel, Spirits Are Always With You, that mentions he and ilforte were actually brothers living in the early modern period. So there is precedent for menos having a dominant pre-existing entity.

Also Ulquiorra and Barragan just popped into existence as is.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Hell yeah I can't wait to watch the Bleach anime again in 2022 let's go.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Intelligent Menos are stated to come about when One soul among the many that make them up gains dominance.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Plutonis posted:

Szayelaporro going to hell just means he was a bad person in life.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Szayelaporro going to hell just means he was a bad person in life.

I'm still betting that new lieutenant from the Hell special with the animal-themed shikai is purified Starrk.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Shugojin posted:

I always assumed it was editorial poo poo with someone forcing him to keep giving fan popular characters fights and making the pacing poo poo

It's me I'm the anti-hitsugaya brigade in 2022

hell, same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

I'm still betting that new lieutenant from the Hell special with the animal-themed shikai is purified Starrk.

Lilynette took over and became a gyaru