Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaking lemur butt
Jan 5, 2015

:haw: :v: :ohdear: :cool:

Is the text reader on videos like these innate to tiktok, or is it added by something else? Why does this audio get added? Help, I'm old and confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Shaking lemur butt posted:

Is the text reader on videos like these innate to tiktok, or is it added by something else? Why does this audio get added? Help, I'm old and confused.

I think it's a built in feature. Like, you don't have to have it, but you can very easily add it, and tiktok culture has evolved in such a way that most serious users of it (not people like you and me who only see tiktok videos when they're uploaded to twitter and then posted in an SA thread, people who actually use the app) prefer to it or just expect it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
They like it. We all liked "all your base" at 15 for equally inexplicable reasons, we can't really talk poo poo

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
TikTok voice is to videos as Impact Font is to memes.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Shaking lemur butt posted:

It's there for people with various disabilities. Normally you would use it to describe what is being seen. But users on tiktok tend to use it more for voice overs. Tiktok does accessibility suprisingly well for what it is. For instance adding speech to captions in a video is really easy. Press a button, wait 30 seconds and there you go.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

This is not “stealing”. It’s the fault of the cashier or the way the store is organized.
This is from a few days ago but it just reminded me of the only time I ever remotely stole from a business

It was my first day on campus in England for a year of studying abroad, and I went to the store at the University of Leicester's student union to buy lunch. I got, like, a sandwich, and knowing me probably a Thorntons' truffle

Anyway, the total came out to about £8, and I gave the cashier a £10 note. She handed me £12 back. I looked at it for a second and said "oh, you gave me too much change" and she stared blankly back at me. I thought somehow she did not understand(?) so I said "I gave you a £10, not a £20, so you should take this £10 note back." She continued staring at me blankly and if I recall correctly was basically as still as the grave. I decided that the cashier had experienced a fatal error and there was no way to resolve this situation and just left with my special bonus pounds

Edit for this unimportant addition I forgot:

BlackIronHeart posted:

Schad is on me, I went to see how much golden US dollar coins are and it's like $40 for 25 coins. :wtf:
If you buy, not that I have done this*, a lot of them, the excess cost basically stays the same, so you can get like $200 of coins for $220 which is a lot closer to reasonable if you have ridiculous plans for, say, New Hampshire's VIDEO GAMES dollar coin. Also worth noting the reason you cannot buy them $1-for-$1 anymore was the credit card scam where you generate infinite rewards points for yourself by buying money and depositing said money in your account again

*I have done this

Whooping Crabs posted:

This, still can't believe how Equifax is still in business, and that the payout from 5 years ago still hasn't happened, and that it's going to be somewhere in the range of like $2 rather than $125 per person as suggested.
I was genuinely shocked when I got an amount of money worth the time to cash the check from the Illinois Facebook biometric data settlement, I think it was like $400. Getting me unreasonably excited for the upcoming Snapchat and Google Illinois biometric data settlements, though I imagine they cannot possibly be as good

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Sep 19, 2022

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Dr. Quarex posted:

This is from a few days ago but it just reminded me of the only time I ever remotely stole from a business

It was my first day on campus in England for a year of studying abroad, and I went to the store at the University of Leicester's student union to buy lunch. I got, like, a sandwich, and knowing me probably a Thorntons' truffle

Anyway, the total came out to about £8, and I gave the cashier a £10 note. She handed me £12 back. I looked at it for a second and said "oh, you gave me too much change" and she stared blankly back at me. I thought somehow she did not understand(?) so I said "I gave you a £10, not a £20, so you should take this £10 note back." She continued staring at me blankly and if I recall correctly was basically as still as the grave. I decided that the cashier had experienced a fatal error and there was no way to resolve this situation and just left with my special bonus pounds

I always love it when an act of kindness just bluescreens someone's mind.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://i.imgur.com/ZcDBNI8.mp4

Anne Whateley posted:

They like it. We all liked "all your base" at 15 for equally inexplicable reasons, we can't really talk poo poo

All your base is objectively funny though

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Dr. Quarex posted:

I’ve had this happen to me a few times, and while most understood what I was saying and thanked me for being honest (since it likely would have come out of their pay when they zero’d out their till for the night), I had one lady get real indignant with me and acting like I was trying to scam her, so I just said “whoops, my mistake” and left, and I can only assume she realized her error when she went to close out her shift.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

This takes me back. Those pickles toss awesomely. I worked at McDonald's when I was in high school in the 80's and our uniforms had these super cheap caps with plastic brims. During slow times we made a game out of tossing pickles and getting it to stick to the other workers' brims, it was awesome. Bonus if you could sneak it so they didn't notice it and left it there. But yeah most of the time you just got hit in the face with a pickle. It was great.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

minato posted:

TikTok voice is to videos as Impact Font is to memes.

except it's the perfect pitch to just rip through your ear balls no matter what volume you have things at. it's always SHOCKING when robot lady BUSTS into my audio holes.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

McDonald's mayo looks like semen

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Wendigee posted:

What are you eating that makes your semen look like McDonalds mayo?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Wendigee posted:

It comes from a caulk.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

What are you eating that makes your semen look like McDonalds mayo?

Mostly McDonalds mayo

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Your telling me your semen doesn't look like that? This is very disturbing.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Mine has chopped lettuce and smears of red in it too. :cumpolice:

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Skwirl posted:

I've never been able to ride my bike just sitting straight up not touching the handlebars and have been jealous of people who could, until today.
speaking as someone who rides his bike without using hands all day erry day, im sure he could have pretty easily shifted his body weight to steer the bike around the car if he hadn't panicked about his hands being stuck

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rih2wyF15F1r0uzl6.mp4

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_riezw1O0MV1r0uzl6.mp4

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_pvv7xzDPpQ1xoyw8p.mp4

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rih39z17eT1r0uzl6.mp4

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rih2rsnS3j1r0uzl6.mp4

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rih3n3tAD71r0uzl6.mp4

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

LOL @ the little nugget of poo.

Also gently caress cats.

No I'm not bitter that one of my new kittens has pissed on my bed and I've only found out now as I was going to bed at 1AM.

Little bastards.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

This would never have happened if he had kept Warlock around

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

I guess he's not truly beyond meat

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Beyond meat guy got beef

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Am I allowed to eat Fayetteville Arkansas now?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Floppy is a hacker/programmer who is part of a team that has hijacked an Indian scam call centre. She started her youtube channel with her first hack, where she made the scammers sound like chipmunks.

She's now on episode 18, and has now inserted fart and burp sounds. The Schad is that both parties in the call think it's the other side making the noises. I nearly suffocated with laughter listening to this vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chpHMoezEyU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

I kind of love this. It's clearly an attempt at satirizing the bizarre exercises some people do. But why did he put so many plates under the bench to elevate it? Seems like they'd be better weighing it down. In any case, doing a 'kayak paddle' motion with even the bare bar is kind of impressive.

LloydDobler posted:

This takes me back. Those pickles toss awesomely. I worked at McDonald's when I was in high school in the 80's and our uniforms had these super cheap caps with plastic brims. During slow times we made a game out of tossing pickles and getting it to stick to the other workers' brims, it was awesome. Bonus if you could sneak it so they didn't notice it and left it there. But yeah most of the time you just got hit in the face with a pickle. It was great.

A restaurant I used to work BOH in had a similar pastime which we called 'pickleback'. Surreptitiously stick a pickle slice to someone's shirt, like patting the new hire on the back for smashing the dinner rush or something. That's all there is to it.

Tangentially related and I know I've brought this up in other threads, but it also reminds me of a buddy's personal tradition: "Every time I drunkenly go to McD's and order a McDouble, I take one pickle slice out and stick it to the most expensive-looking car I can find."

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I guess he's not truly beyond meat

Literally A Person posted:

Beyond meat guy got beef

Bit on the nose, don't you think? :dadjoke:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Bertha the Toaster posted:

LOL @ the little nugget of poo.

Also gently caress cats.

No I'm not bitter that one of my new kittens has pissed on my bed and I've only found out now as I was going to bed at 1AM.

Little bastards.

They do stuff like that when they feel bad because they're seeking out scents that make them feel better, which in this case includes you. You monster.

Mister Speaker posted:

It's clearly an attempt at satirizing the bizarre exercises some people do.

Oh you sweet summer child :kiddo: Absolutely no way he was not trying to legit work his 'rowing' muscles so he could crush it that weekend out in his kayak.

Paper Tiger posted:

Bit on the nose, don't you think? :dadjoke:

Reading the article I think it was very clearly off the nose :colbert:

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Takes No Damage posted:

They do stuff like that when they feel bad because they're seeking out scents that make them feel better, which in this case includes you. You monster.

Oh you sweet summer child :kiddo: Absolutely no way he was not trying to legit work his 'rowing' muscles so he could crush it that weekend out in his kayak.

Reading the article I think it was very clearly off the nose :colbert:

it was just a bit off the nose

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Uber just got mega hacked

Follow-up

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

fuctifino posted:

Floppy is a hacker/programmer who is part of a team that has hijacked an Indian scam call centre. She started her youtube channel with her first hack, where she made the scammers sound like chipmunks.

She's now on episode 18, and has now inserted fart and burp sounds. The Schad is that both parties in the call think it's the other side making the noises. I nearly suffocated with laughter listening to this vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chpHMoezEyU

Thank you for this, it's incredible.

I sometimes try to dick around the car warranty dudes by describing my car as either a fake model (Buick Aileron or Mercedes Portia) or something impossibly old like a Packard Six and see how long it takes for them to hang up. One time the dude stayed on the line until I said my license plate number was 3.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Sep 20, 2022

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I sometimes try to dick around the car warranty dudes by describing my car as either a fake model (Buick Aileron or Mercedes Portia) or something impossibly old like a Packard Six and see how long it takes for them to hang up. One time the dude stayed on the line until I said my license plate number was 3.

Couple years ago a guy in my office got one of those scam calls where they tell you the IRS is coming to arrest you right now unless you pay them off. He put his phone on speaker and strung them along for a good 20 minutes, escalated up to a "manager" and everything. They wanted him to drive to a grocery store and buy gift cards and read them the codes :hmmyes: It fell apart when he told them he was in his car and they wanted him to honk his horn to prove it. I had almost pulled up a car horn sound board when he just told them to gently caress off and hung up.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Takes No Damage posted:

Couple years ago a guy in my office got one of those scam calls where they tell you the IRS is coming to arrest you right now unless you pay them off. He put his phone on speaker and strung them along for a good 20 minutes, escalated up to a "manager" and everything. They wanted him to drive to a grocery store and buy gift cards and read them the codes :hmmyes: It fell apart when he told them he was in his car and they wanted him to honk his horn to prove it. I had almost pulled up a car horn sound board when he just told them to gently caress off and hung up.

I think I once told an IRS scam caller that I was a sovereign citizen on the land and I'd shoot any revenuers they sent after me.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
https://i.imgur.com/AaRO8Vp.mp4

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Number plates here are sequential and people basically own them once they're issued. Usually taxi drivers in town will buy up the super low numbers as a kind of dick-measuring contest with the other cabbies to be the most OG or something. I've seen 2 and 3 on cabs here. 420 was on a green chrome Lambo that was blasting dub as it drove past.

Someone paid $160k for a number plate about five years back https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/society/very-special-_swiss-number-plate-breaks-auction-record/42979574

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Sovereign Citizen decides to argue his way out of a problem with the cops

https://twitter.com/ExposingNV/status/1571374308576067586

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

I didn't have sound on and it looped so well I thought she was watching kid after kid ride off the road.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Sovereign Citizen decides to argue his way out of a problem with the cops

https://twitter.com/ExposingNV/status/1571374308576067586

I honestly feel bad for these people to a certain degree. Just complete ignorance on how the world works. Like even if all his bullshit was true, he should know cops can pretty much freely ignore the law.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

LifeSunDeath posted:

except it's the perfect pitch to just rip through your ear balls no matter what volume you have things at. it's always SHOCKING when robot lady BUSTS into my audio holes.
Some people pay extra for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

I think I once told an IRS scam caller that I was a sovereign citizen on the land and I'd shoot any revenuers they sent after me.

lol