Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

~Coxy posted:

the funny part is that most of this crap is implemented by the client anyway.
if you connect to the VPN using openVPN or openConnect instead then you can split tunnel, remain connected as long as you like, ignore dumb policies

That's true, but sometimes policies are actually put in place by enforceable contracts.

Split tunneling is nice and really makes life easier but high security stuff frowns on it. Thankfully, not everyone has to deal with it!

Well, I guess the next best solution is to just run spotify on a nearby phone or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

sb hermit posted:

maybe security people wouldn't be so hated if high security could be achieved with only a modicum of friction and not having to enter a password every five minutes and changing passwords every 30 days

currentClient make me sign in once per day with 2fa and it's still too much. Just cache my creds or something this isn't making anything safe

it's only for external consultants though so limited psychic damage

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014
EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM AUTH CODES INTO AUTHENTICATOR. ITS OUTLOOK AND TEAMS AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, CLIPPY. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME VPN CODES OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY ESCAPED THE GALAXY’S MOST DANGEROUS HACKER.
I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY IT DEPARTMENT AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN IT DEPARTMENTS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JERKS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE BUTTONS AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNIng

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

sb hermit posted:

and now we'll probably get into the argument regarding whether an unlocked laptop in a home office is more or less secure than an unlocked desktop in a corporate office

home office will have a greater chance of a cat walking on it

corporate office has casual fridays

even mossad would think twice before trying to steal anything from my home office.

at least until they can get a hazmat team on site.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

nudgenudgetilt posted:

i still don't see what's unreasonable about tapping approve when I sit down at my desk. i probably unlock my workstation a dozen or so times throughout the day, maybe twenty times on a heavy day. every time i have to hit approve, it's because i also just typed my password. it isn't like you're getting random spot check pushes throughout the day. each happens with a login event and is literally nothing more than tapping a button after entering your password -- and you should already be entering your password if you're coming back to an unattended workstation.

lmao if you dont use touchid to unlock your workstation. just lol

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Subjunctive posted:

how would they determine that it’s outlook without just trusting the client to report it?

the new PAT stuff has some application authentication I guess, but I don’t know how it works

If my conditional access logs are of any indication, Microsoft is certainly acquiring platform and specific app in most cases during the MFA request/modern auth attempt.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Hollow Talk posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM AUTH CODES INTO AUTHENTICATOR. ITS OUTLOOK AND TEAMS AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, CLIPPY. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME VPN CODES OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY ESCAPED THE GALAXY’S MOST DANGEROUS HACKER.
I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY IT DEPARTMENT AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN IT DEPARTMENTS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JERKS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE BUTTONS AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNIng

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Hollow Talk posted:

lmao

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

I'm Canadian but I'm spending a few weeks in Portugal. Today I'm at a coworking space, and they asked me to pay using PayPal. I tried to log in and it showed me a 2FA screen that would send a text message to my Canadian number. Oh poo poo, I thought, I don't have my Canadian SIM. But what's this, a button for changing my phone number right there on the 2FA screen...?

yep, I was able to just add the number on the phone in my hand, get the text, and log in. huge peace of mind knowing this extra layer of security is here

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Truman Peyote posted:

I'm Canadian but I'm spending a few weeks in Portugal. Today I'm at a coworking space, and they asked me to pay using PayPal. I tried to log in and it showed me a 2FA screen that would send a text message to my Canadian number. Oh poo poo, I thought, I don't have my Canadian SIM. But what's this, a button for changing my phone number right there on the 2FA screen...?

yep, I was able to just add the number on the phone in my hand, get the text, and log in. huge peace of mind knowing this extra layer of security is here

loooooool

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

paypal is a land of contrasts cuz they do poo poo like that on the reg but they also support U2F now so I just use my yubikey

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slćgt skal fřlge slćgters gang

Truman Peyote posted:

rofl

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Truman Peyote posted:

hoooly poo poo

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Truman Peyote posted:

lmfao

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

they've started doing one-factor auth via sms pretty regularly too

if I go to paypal and enter my e-mail address to log in, about half the time it offers to send me a "one time login code" via text. sometimes it doesn't offer this option, but it doesn't seem situational -- a refresh will often make the option reappear. and there doesn't seem to be any way to disable the "feature"

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Gentle Autist posted:

lmao if you dont use touchid to unlock your workstation. just lol

They disabled the fingerprint readers on the laptops they bought us. I have no clue why; I assume I can turn it on in the bios or something.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

nudgenudgetilt posted:

they've started doing one-factor auth via sms pretty regularly too

if I go to paypal and enter my e-mail address to log in, about half the time it offers to send me a "one time login code" via text. sometimes it doesn't offer this option, but it doesn't seem situational -- a refresh will often make the option reappear. and there doesn't seem to be any way to disable the "feature"

it's weird. when i have to log in it's a roll of the dice whether they ask for an authenticator, a password, or an sms. no consistency.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Truman Peyote posted:

erm

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

TheMightyBoops posted:

They disabled the fingerprint readers on the laptops they bought us. I have no clue why; I assume I can turn it on in the bios or something.

If it's domain joined windows, you will need to have the admins turn on windows hello for business or no biometric of any kind will work.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shame Boy posted:

paypal is a land of contrasts cuz they do poo poo like that on the reg but they also support U2F now so I just use my yubikey
Don't they not allow you to only have u2f set up? Like, you're forced to have sms enabled as well?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

SlowBloke posted:

If it's domain joined windows, you will need to have the admins turn on windows hello for business or no biometric of any kind will work.

does hello for windows hook into single sign on? because that would be hella rad

FungiCap
Jul 23, 2007

Let's all just calm down and put on our thinking caps.

Truman Peyote posted:

lmfa o

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
hello.jpg for windows for business

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

champagne posting posted:

does hello for windows hook into single sign on? because that would be hella rad

yeah

dependent on azuread and if you're doing any hybrid stuff it can be a giant pain in the rear end depending on your specific scenario

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

The Fool posted:

yeah

dependent on azuread and if you're doing any hybrid stuff it can be a giant pain in the rear end depending on your specific scenario

I was just wondering. I will never, ever service a fleet of any kind of computer

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
when referring to multiple computers the correct term is pile

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

hello.jpg for

Zamujasa posted:

gently caress

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I was using some site to upload my financial docs for a mortgage application and it asked my browser (Chrome at the time) to auth me via Hello, and now I can only access that site from that computer I think

that site also used floating point numbers to represent money, as evidenced by the asset total ending in x.902946749029133 or similar. so not the greatest software

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Subjunctive posted:

I was using some site to upload my financial docs for a mortgage application and it asked my browser (Chrome at the time) to auth me via Hello, and now I can only access that site from that computer I think

that site also used floating point numbers to represent money

would you prefer the numbers were already underwater?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Zamujasa posted:

would you prefer the numbers were already underwater?

kids these days and their interest rates!

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
refusing to pay my mortgage unless it's presented to me in whole numbers, like god intended

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

mantissa deez nuts!

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
BORN TO SEC / WORLD IS A gently caress / Lock Em All 2022/ I am trash man / 410,757,864,530 PUSH NOTIFICATIONS

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Zamujasa posted:

Honestly, if they can stare deep into the abyss too, they deserve to steal my auth token.

It's on the ring.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

ZeusCannon posted:

BORN TO SEC / WORLD IS A gently caress / Lock Em All 2022/ I am trash man / 410,757,864,530 PUSH NOTIFICATIONS

:hai:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

ZeusCannon posted:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Volmarias posted:

Honestly, if they can stare deep into the abyss too, they deserve to steal my auth token.

It's on the ring.

I suddenly want to clip out an identifiable part of goatman to use as my vault keyfile

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Hollow Talk posted:

:aaa:

ZeusCannon posted:

:aaaaa:

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Hollow Talk posted:

goodpoastin itt

ZeusCannon posted:

likewise here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

RFC2324 posted:

I suddenly want to clip out an identifiable part of goatman to use as my vault keyfile

air-gaped system