Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
It's weird to me that the throwing knife is the final weapon in the gungame mode because in other gungames I have played, the knife is...semi-hard to kill people with? and in this one you can just spam it towards the enemy. I would take it over a mozambique any day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
90% of my gun game rounds have been top damage in the lobby and near bottom kills lol. The best strat to win is to camp the outer ring and jump people off spawn, way less likely to get thirded or have a kill steal like that.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Cicadalek posted:

It's weird to me that the throwing knife is the final weapon in the gungame mode because in other gungames I have played, the knife is...semi-hard to kill people with? and in this one you can just spam it towards the enemy. I would take it over a mozambique any day.

Yeah I think I wouldn't mind if they made the knife harder to kill with. In general it feels like this sort of illustrates that there aren't that many bad guns in apex, which changes the flow quite a bit I think.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Except the lstar

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Works like this in CoD too? It's not that hard there either. The range just a little short with a slight arc to it. Unless you're super pro you want to be in smg/shotgun range when you go for it.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

You might say it's best used in knife fighting range. :v:

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Evil Kit posted:

You might say it's best used in knife fighting range. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsqClktIKZQ

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

My game's been super unstable recently with a weirdly predictable pattern. Freeze on load into legend select or drop, I have to force quit the app. I reload, the game punts me straight into the match without problem, then future games on that run are fine. If i quit the application, the cycle starts over.

I've verified game files in steam. Is the next step to just uninstall and reinstall, or is there something dumb I'm not thinking of that might be messing with it?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
try deleting your shader cache and rebuilding?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

This patch hosed my menus and stuff too. Lobby and all runs at like 5 fps, but in game is mostly ok.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i had some stuttering immediately after the patch but it went away, perhaps their shader pre-caching broke

pre-compiling shaders in DX11 is finnicky because there's no explicit way to do it, the game has to coax the driver into doing it

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Boxman posted:

My game's been super unstable recently with a weirdly predictable pattern. Freeze on load into legend select or drop, I have to force quit the app. I reload, the game punts me straight into the match without problem, then future games on that run are fine. If i quit the application, the cycle starts over.

I've verified game files in steam. Is the next step to just uninstall and reinstall, or is there something dumb I'm not thinking of that might be messing with it?

I had similar, I cleared the cache and temp files and it was better.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Before I go around deleting files that are important....

Shadercache is /SteamLibrary/steamapps/shadercache/1172470 (Apex's Steam ID number), just delete everything in there? And the Temp files are just the same but in the /temp/ folder?

EDIT: Backed up those folders and gave it a shot. Seems to have worked. Thanks much, wouldn't have thought to try that!

Boxman fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Sep 22, 2022

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Just lost a game of Gun Game where we all got kills with throwing knives and it didn't register that we actually won. We were all left on fists just punching the enemy team until THEY got the throwing knife and were able to end the game.

Hilarious bug. Still registered as a win for us.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Skull Servant posted:

Just lost a game of Gun Game where we all got kills with throwing knives and it didn't register that we actually won. We were all left on fists just punching the enemy team until THEY got the throwing knife and were able to end the game.

Hilarious bug. Still registered as a win for us.

Haha must suck for the other team to get a knife kill and then see the win go to another team lol

I heard knife kills ending the game can get bugged if an entire team leaves the game. Was that the case?

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

That must have been it! One team didn't load in at the start. Weird!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I don't think people actually understand the Havoc is in the replicator now. Had a couple games this morning where someone found a Turbocharger, refused to grab the Devotion, and began moaning about how they want a Havoc and to please ping it if we find one.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Anyone else having a lot of connection issues. It's worse then usual for me, lots of red notifications in the upper right. I'm not sure got much my current Internet setup is at fault, but given apex is the only game affected I feel it's gotta be Respawn?

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Carillon posted:

Anyone else having a lot of connection issues. It's worse then usual for me, lots of red notifications in the upper right. I'm not sure got much my current Internet setup is at fault, but given apex is the only game affected I feel it's gotta be Respawn?

Servers have been really bad for for a couple months now.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I couldn't get into any games last night, and then this AM my airpods were dead so I used my xbox headphones to listen to music while I work. Powering those things up always turns on the xbox too, and since my TV is 4 feet from head (when working) I figured I'd open up Apex and see if I could get into a game. I was doing some work, had some jazz playing loud in my earholes, not paying attention to the TV at all when I hear a bunch of gunfire and Octane pointing out where the bad dudes are at. I quickly realized I'd gotten into a game and were already on the ground. One teammate was knocked, so I rez'd them, scrambled to find weapons and joined in. We ended up with the W and no deaths.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Those are the best games. No pressure, stress. Just vibes.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

My favorite games are the ones where a buddy joins the group right as a game pops so you decide you're going to play stupid aggro and die early and then you run half the lobby all the while wondering how you're still alive.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Ranked split! Yay

Ugh storm point. Boo

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Carillon posted:

Ranked split! Yay

Ugh storm point. Boo

Oh god I thought it was Olympus next :(

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Not sure if I'm getting better or i've been playing drunk/stoned ppl.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Does anyone play this game sober?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I was in diamond and got reset to gold and every loving game my team barely knows how to play apex and then gets rolled by masters. great.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I was in diamond and got reset to gold and every loving game my team barely knows how to play apex and then gets rolled by masters. great.

It's second day of the split. Gotta give the masters a few more days to rank out.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

The Slack Lagoon posted:

lol anyone in your rank is the same skill as you, they all got rolled back too

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Regrettable posted:

It's second day of the split. Gotta give the masters a few more days to rank out.

Nah I’m with him. Everyone in a gold lobby should be a good plat or a diamond and all my pubbies do 20 damage and hide in corners.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Herstory Begins Now posted:

lol anyone in your rank is the same skill as you, they all got rolled back too

If this is the case than there should be no change to the skill level of my team post split, but there definitely is.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
The first game post split doesn't seem to reset ranks properly. In prior seasons the first game would always be against higher ranked people then it'd go back to the correct tier.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
With the rank reset after a split you're playing not just with/against people from your previous rank, but also those who stood above you (since everyone is reduced six divisions / 1.5 tiers) in addition to people who've skipped a split and are climbing up fast from the bottom. The game has no qualms about pulling from lower ranks to fill your squad, however. ;)

Ended up in Diamond before the end of the split, having a blast with the chaotic energy and constant action that comes with KC ranked matches. Snore Point OTOH is about as boring as the game gets for me so I guess I'm not playing any more ranked until next season (fingers crossed that the new map will suck less than the last one).

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
early season ranked is the only real ranked, late season is like beating up blind kids or something

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Carillon posted:

Ranked split! Yay

Ugh storm point. Boo

What does this split mean?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I believe it means same battle pass and season for ranked, but the split means everyone is dropped by half their levels?

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
You play 1 map for half a season, then another. When the map changes, you also get knocked down a division and have to rank back up (so if you were Gold 1/2 you get knocked back to Silver IV).

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What does this split mean?

Each Season of Ranked is divided into two Splits. The first half is on one map, the other half is on a different one. Everyone’s rank is “soft reset” at the beginning of both splits to incentivize climbing back up. Rewards for that season show up after both splits are finished, and if you reached the same tier in both splits you get the animated version of the badge. Now that demotion is a thing I have no idea if rewards are based on the highest tier you reached or your tier at the end of the splits.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
The split reset is even more dumb now that there's demotion in the game. I find it less of an incentive to play ranked, because there's a bunch of busy work at the beginning. I need to play diamond players in gold to get the chance to play diamond players in diamond. I also don't think it's fair to the lower end of the bell curve because there's only so far down they can put people.

As someone who plays ranked one night a week, possibly two, it kills my desire because I always run out of split before I plateau.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Hackan Slash posted:

The split reset is even more dumb now that there's demotion in the game. I find it less of an incentive to play ranked, because there's a bunch of busy work at the beginning. I need to play diamond players in gold to get the chance to play diamond players in diamond. I also don't think it's fair to the lower end of the bell curve because there's only so far down they can put people.

As someone who plays ranked one night a week, possibly two, it kills my desire because I always run out of split before I plateau.

Yeah this is very reasonable. I feel similarly- also means I’m not playing people at my level most of the season if I’m just playing less than others.