Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Bollock Monkey posted:

You've gotta string them fuckers good - maybe you missed some? My dad has a specific tool to help.

Aaaaaaaaah, that video tells me what I did wrong. I only removed the strings from one side!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

So my life has basically devolved into a horrible cycle of wake up > go to work > come home from work > sleep. I don't even do anything in terms of hobbies cause I'm always so exhausted. As a result, I no longer really go grocery shopping unless it's the weekend, and even then it's a rare thing. I've taken to doing online shopping once every two weeks or so. That being said, I've really gotten into enjoying fresh fish, think salmon and trout fillets. I've made the mistake a few times of buying a few fillets and then leaving it a day or two too long in the fridge and not being able to eat it due to the quality deteriorating.

My question: can I buy 3-4 fillets and just whack them all in the freezer and just take them out the day before I plan on using them? It'd be my two week supply of fish and I wouldn't have to worry about spoilage. I don't know if quality would be affected though. Eating salmon as I type this, it was a day or two past what I'd call good so I'm a little sad. Very strong fish smell! It practically fumigated my entire kitchen when I opened and cooked it. Thankfully it's still edible, it just took a nosedive in quality.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Qubee posted:

So my life has basically devolved into a horrible cycle of wake up > go to work > come home from work > sleep. I don't even do anything in terms of hobbies cause I'm always so exhausted. As a result, I no longer really go grocery shopping unless it's the weekend, and even then it's a rare thing. I've taken to doing online shopping once every two weeks or so. That being said, I've really gotten into enjoying fresh fish, think salmon and trout fillets. I've made the mistake a few times of buying a few fillets and then leaving it a day or two too long in the fridge and not being able to eat it due to the quality deteriorating.

My question: can I buy 3-4 fillets and just whack them all in the freezer and just take them out the day before I plan on using them? It'd be my two week supply of fish and I wouldn't have to worry about spoilage. I don't know if quality would be affected though. Eating salmon as I type this, it was a day or two past what I'd call good so I'm a little sad. Very strong fish smell! It practically fumigated my entire kitchen when I opened and cooked it. Thankfully it's still edible, it just took a nosedive in quality.

Honestly I'd buy prepackaged frozen salmon, because at least that would be flash frozen which is less likely to affect the texture than freezing it yourself at home.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Most fish freezes pretty well so that shouldn't be a problem. Obviously quality will not hold up to a truly fresh filet, but unless you live on a coast and are only getting indigenous fish then everything you were getting at the supermarket was previously frozen anyway. You can in fact get a bag of frozen salmon or whitefish filets for mich cheaper per filet than you's get from behind the meat counter anyways. I hope your life gets better soon and the everturning wheels of capitalism do not keep you downtrodden forever!

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
I like to buy whole sides of salmon when on sale, portion them and vac bag before freezing. It maintains quality really well and much longer than just sticking them in a regular plastic bag

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Bluedeanie posted:

Most fish freezes pretty well so that shouldn't be a problem. Obviously quality will not hold up to a truly fresh filet, but unless you live on a coast and are only getting indigenous fish then everything you were getting at the supermarket was previously frozen anyway.

Especially true in Canada. Even if it's (currently) unfrozen in the display case.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I bought some of Penzey's hot curry powder on a whim. So far I have discovered that it is the perfect flavoring for scrambled eggs. What else should I use it for? Curry is of course the obvious answer, but I haven't done a from-scratch curry before, so I'd appreciate recipe recommendations.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I bought some of Penzey's hot curry powder on a whim. So far I have discovered that it is the perfect flavoring for scrambled eggs. What else should I use it for? Curry is of course the obvious answer, but I haven't done a from-scratch curry before, so I'd appreciate recipe recommendations.

Chicken salad with apple. Curry powder brings it up to a whole new dang level.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Curry powder is real good on popcorn with butter.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Oh gently caress yeah

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Curry is a pretty broad category. What sort of curries do you usually eat?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Thanks for the suggestions!

captkirk posted:

Uh, I'm not an expert on the different types. I've done garam masala and tikka masala. I also bought a couple of these things which were fantastic:

Unfortunately, I don't have access to the vendor that sold them to get more. If I recall correctly, I basically just did misc chopped veggies (onion, potato, carrot, etc), yogurt, water, and the contents of that container and it was fantastic.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

captkirk posted:

That reminds me of looking through my 1001 Curries book and finding hard boiled egg curry and just being like "okay India, I loving get it, you make a lot of curries. drat dude, calm down some"

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Thanks for the suggestions!

Uh, I'm not an expert on the different types. I've done garam masala and tikka masala. I also bought a couple of these things which were fantastic:

Unfortunately, I don't have access to the vendor that sold them to get more. If I recall correctly, I basically just did misc chopped veggies (onion, potato, carrot, etc), yogurt, water, and the contents of that container and it was fantastic.

The ingredients list give me Thai red curry vibes, which isn't what I'm familiar with so hopefully someone in the thread has a good recipe.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

captkirk posted:

The ingredients list give me Thai red curry vibes, which isn't what I'm familiar with so hopefully someone in the thread has a good recipe.

The booth I got it from sells Pakistani cuisine. I remember also getting samosas from them.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

2 chicken breasts, salted and peppered
1 can coconut milk, cream and all
1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes, juices and all
Few healthy tablespoons of your delicious sounding curry powder (or more, its your butthole)
As much garlic as you can stand (it's ok to dial it back if you gotta kiss somebody later today, I understand)
Few healthy teaspoons ground turmeric
Few healthy pinches white pepper
Salt. More salt. Still not enough salt. You are cutting through coconut cream it's gonna take more salt than you think

Combine in an instant pot, cook on high 4-5 minutes, quick release

Take the chicken out and let it rest on your cutting board for a few minutes before slicing, dicing or shredding. While doing so throw the instant pot on saute and let your sauce simmer for a bit longer to thicken it up a bit

Serve over rice or with naan

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Our best selling popcorn at one of the places I worked was curry.

5 parts salt
3 parts curry powder
2 parts sugar
1 part msg

Blend/grind until powder. Toss with popcorn. Toss with makrut lime leaf and cilantro oil.

poo poo was amazing. Even better with smoked green chile powder added.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Bluedeanie posted:

2 chicken breasts, salted and peppered
1 can coconut milk, cream and all
1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes, juices and all
Few healthy tablespoons of your delicious sounding curry powder (or more, its your butthole)
As much garlic as you can stand (it's ok to dial it back if you gotta kiss somebody later today, I understand)
Few healthy teaspoons ground turmeric
Few healthy pinches white pepper
Salt. More salt. Still not enough salt. You are cutting through coconut cream it's gonna take more salt than you think

Combine in an instant pot, cook on high 4-5 minutes, quick release

Take the chicken out and let it rest on your cutting board for a few minutes before slicing, dicing or shredding. While doing so throw the instant pot on saute and let your sauce simmer for a bit longer to thicken it up a bit

Serve over rice or with naan

Interesting! I don't have an instant pot, but I do have a crock pot. I'm guessing "cook on high 4-5 minutes" in an instant pot is probably something like "cook on high 30-45 minutes" in a crock pot? Also, I'm curious about the use of both black and white pepper. My understanding is that white pepper is basically a slightly milder version of black pepper, so why use both?

Also re: uses for curry powder, one I forgot to mention is mixing it with ketchup (assuming you are a ketchup kind of person). It elevates a fairly basic condiment immensely.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

add some to your egg or chicken salad

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

White pepper is fermented, so it has a funky flavor. I put s&p on chicken simply because I cannot imagine not putting s&p on chicken, if you want to omit it then feel free!

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Singapore noodles uses curry powder and is a very easy and tasty dish to make.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Helith posted:

Singapore noodles uses curry powder and is a very easy and tasty dish to make.

that is so strange — I had a dream I was scouring a Chinese restaurant menu for Singapore noodles...

Bluedeanie posted:

White pepper is fermented, so it has a funky flavor. I put s&p on chicken simply because I cannot imagine not putting s&p on chicken, if you want to omit it then feel free!

what pepper loadout do people have at home? my pepper grinder is nearing empty, and I have been thinking of buying some black peppercorns from Penzey's, but the idea of white pepper intrigues me. I'm thinking black peppercorns in the grinder and a small jar of ground white pepper for limited applications? these rainbow peppercorn blends seem like novelties, and it takes me a couple of years to finish a grinder's worth, so I'm not sure I want to commit to that

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

DasNeonLicht posted:

that is so strange — I had a dream I was scouring a Chinese restaurant menu for Singapore noodles...

what pepper loadout do people have at home? my pepper grinder is nearing empty, and I have been thinking of buying some black peppercorns from Penzey's, but the idea of white pepper intrigues me. I'm thinking black peppercorns in the grinder and a small jar of ground white pepper for limited applications? these rainbow peppercorn blends seem like novelties, and it takes me a couple of years to finish a grinder's worth, so I'm not sure I want to commit to that

I like the mixed peppercorns from Penzeys for my pepper grinder. Usually I'm not looking for a special specific flavor out of pepper so it's perfect. The Penzeys stuff is so much fresher and tastier than supermarket peppercorns! It does have actual flavor, not just heat.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Definitely stick to black pepper, unless you're making mostly Szechuan food

mystes
May 31, 2006

Soul Dentist posted:

Definitely stick to black pepper, unless you're making mostly Szechuan food
You don't put Szechuan peppercorns in your carbonara?!

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

mystes posted:

You don't put Szechuan peppercorns in your carbonara?!

Most uses for white pepper I've seen are in Asian cooking, although Szechuan peppercorns in carbonara sounds incredible

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
A little bit sprinkled over the top actually sounds great.

I don’t remember if it was here, or a comment on one of the food blogs that I follow that said they just fill their grinder like 4:1 black pepper:Szechuan and use it on everything.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Tempted to start at 20:1 and slowly raise the ratio over time & see when my wife notices

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
I've got a separate dedicated pepper mill for Sichuan peppercorns, but I use a lot of Sichuan peppercorns. White pepper I just buy pre-ground and keep in wee mason jars.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I have a little pepper grinder I keep with white pepper, black pepper, Szechuan pepper, flaked sea salt, fennel, cumin, granulated garlic, and red pepper flakes. It's good on grilled meat/tofu and cooked rice.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Interesting! I don't have an instant pot, but I do have a crock pot. I'm guessing "cook on high 4-5 minutes" in an instant pot is probably something like "cook on high 30-45 minutes" in a crock pot?
Nope. An Instant Pot is a pressure cooker, while a crock pot is a slow cooker. (There is a slow-cook feature on an instant pot, but that's beside the point.) Slow cooker high is not "high"; it's still meant to cook for 3-4 hours. The equivalent is probably about 20 minutes on a stovetop, but a lot would depend on your particular stove and pans.

quote:

Also, I'm curious about the use of both black and white pepper. My understanding is that white pepper is basically a slightly milder version of black pepper, so why use both?
They do have different flavors, apart from one's being spicier. Details.

SubG posted:

I've got a separate dedicated pepper mill for Sichuan peppercorns, but I use a lot of Sichuan peppercorns. White pepper I just buy pre-ground and keep in wee mason jars.

Do you roast them after you grind? All my recipes that use Sichuan peppercorns start with heating them until they pop.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Do you roast them after you grind? All my recipes that use Sichuan peppercorns start with heating them until they pop.
You mean like blooming or...? Because the peppercorns themselves open before harvest. Or should, anyway—they're not like black pepper, where the spice is a solid seed-like thing. They're more like a dried orange peel kinda thing.

But anyway, no. Some recipes I just grid some into whatever (like a blob of 豆瓣醬 or whatever) before it goes in. For things where you're making chili oil or whatever you use the whole spice, so the peppercorns wouldn't be coming out of a mill anyway.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Toasting them is mostly a step in western recipes. If you're cooking Sichuan food... I'm not going to say you never do it but I can't think of an instance. Probably because it's rare to use it as a powdered topping. Mapo tofu is the only thing that comes to mind. It's common as an ingredient in five/seven/15/whatever spice powder but that also isn't used a ton in Sichuan.

Almost always in Sichuan you're just yeeting a handful into the oil early in the cooking process and they infuse it with flavor, plus you eat them whole if you want.

E: Also I think maybe a reason western recipes suggest toasting is the Sichuan pepper you just buy at a random Chinese grocery is poo poo and has no flavor. Get some properly handled fresh harvested stuff from Mala Market, 50hertz, or Flybyjing and you'll be impressed. I've tried toasting that just to experiment and I don't think it does anything.

Fresh harvest Sichuan pepper and Sichuan chilies should be showing up at Mala Market in the not too distant future. If you want a real experience get the tribute pepper from Flybyjing when the fresh stuff arrives. That poo poo zips even for me, with a tolerance built up over years living in Chengdu.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Sep 30, 2022

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

They're also fun to grow.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Interesting! I don't have an instant pot, but I do have a crock pot. I'm guessing "cook on high 4-5 minutes" in an instant pot is probably something like "cook on high 30-45 minutes" in a crock pot? Also, I'm curious about the use of both black and white pepper. My understanding is that white pepper is basically a slightly milder version of black pepper, so why use both?

Also re: uses for curry powder, one I forgot to mention is mixing it with ketchup (assuming you are a ketchup kind of person). It elevates a fairly basic condiment immensely.
Because of the way slow cookers heat up slowly, like Arsenic Lupin is saying, it probably doesn't make sense to use it for a pressure cooker recipe that's only like 4-5 minutes and you should probably just use the stove.

However, in general, a longer pressure cooker time of like 20-40 minutes can usually just be converted by cooking at typical slow cooker times of like 3-4 hours slow or 6-8 hours high.

mystes fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Sep 30, 2022

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I like cooking with Sichuan and have been trying to do it more often, but it ah... does some weird things to my stomach. Just a matter of tolerance?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Grand Fromage posted:

Toasting them is mostly a step in western recipes. If you're cooking Sichuan food... I'm not going to say you never do it but I can't think of an instance. Probably because it's rare to use it as a powdered topping. Mapo tofu is the only thing that comes to mind. It's common as an ingredient in five/seven/15/whatever spice powder but that also isn't used a ton in Sichuan.

Almost always in Sichuan you're just yeeting a handful into the oil early in the cooking process and they infuse it with flavor, plus you eat them whole if you want.

E: Also I think maybe a reason western recipes suggest toasting is the Sichuan pepper you just buy at a random Chinese grocery is poo poo and has no flavor. Get some properly handled fresh harvested stuff from Mala Market, 50hertz, or Flybyjing and you'll be impressed. I've tried toasting that just to experiment and I don't think it does anything.

Fresh harvest Sichuan pepper and Sichuan chilies should be showing up at Mala Market in the not too distant future. If you want a real experience get the tribute pepper from Flybyjing when the fresh stuff arrives. That poo poo zips even for me, with a tolerance built up over years living in Chengdu.

god damnit i wish i knew this earlier i'm never going to waste my time toasting them again

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Internet Explorer posted:

I like cooking with Sichuan and have been trying to do it more often, but it ah... does some weird things to my stomach. Just a matter of tolerance?

The tolerance is about the numbing effect. If you're making Sichuan food the huge amounts of oil might be causing some fun butt times. I would also suspect the chili peppers before the Sichuan ones. You could be sensitive to them, I dunno. Do you have issues with citrus?

BraveUlysses posted:

god damnit i wish i knew this earlier i'm never going to waste my time toasting them again

:yeah:

I don't think there's anything wrong with doing it, I just don't know why you would. Like the recipes that tell you to mince your doubanjiang. I guess? I've never seen or heard of anyone in Sichuan doing it and I don't see the point, but it's not hurting anything.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

The tolerance is about the numbing effect. If you're making Sichuan food the huge amounts of oil might be causing some fun butt times. I would also suspect the chili peppers before the Sichuan ones. You could be sensitive to them, I dunno. Do you have issues with citrus?.

Fun butt times is definitely not how I'd describe it, but I'm not here to judge.

Not normally an issue with citrus. I've tried Sichuan peppercorns in meals and I've tried a packaged Sichuan oil. The oil seemed a little less of an issue. I'll just have to keep trying I guess, see how it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
You can get "colored pepper" in Germany, generally in a bag to put in your grinder.
It is traditionally a mix of black, white, green and red pepper.
The common cheap variant is mostly black, 20%ish white, 5%ish rose pepper. Real green and red peppers are to expensive for that.

Also, look at this guy using 7 kinds of pepper for this cacio e pepe:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s70bY9--dRk