Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

zoux posted:

There aren't enough holodecks to accomodate the gently caress needs of the crew

There are with proper scheduling and creative use. Keep in mind, the way the holodeck works you could have multiple gently caress sessions going on that, to the participants, would seem to be taking place kilometres or even light years apart. The holodeck is designed to give the illusion of distance, after all.

:engleft:I majored in interstellar gently caress logistics at the Academy.:engleft:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

https://twitter.com/RichHandleyTrek/status/1575882888876158977?s=20&t=iK9twnsLTeJjqeWOLRfNKg

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I guess at some point the Defiant got reassigned to another area? Or it was conveniently not around for this episode.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

FlamingLiberal posted:

I guess at some point the Defiant got reassigned to another area? Or it was conveniently not around for this episode.

Turned into the Dominion War Memorial, permanently grounded on Betazed.

It's time for Lower Decks to do the ultimate Second Contact episode: take Kira to revisit the prison resurrection planet where Kai Opaka died

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I guess he was wearing The Teeth(tm) after all?

https://twitter.com/BradinLA/status/1575896085486133249

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

https://twitter.com/ShimermanArmin/status/1575889250616082438?t=UFfagyxfVf1T56AGPL2bSg&s=19

e: beaten by seconds lol

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

External Organs posted:

Turned into the Dominion War Memorial, permanently grounded on Betazed.

It's time for Lower Decks to do the ultimate Second Contact episode: take Kira to revisit the prison resurrection planet where Kai Opaka died

No-one will ever fetch the abandoned pope from darksouls planet. Ever.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

zoux posted:

Which is why it should be doctrinal to designate a single deck as the gently caress deck, or perhaps the bone bay

you'd want to keep that far away from the poop deck of course

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Night10194 posted:

No-one will ever fetch the abandoned pope from darksouls planet. Ever.

Unless you play Star Trek Online, anyway.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Jet Jaguar posted:

I guess he was wearing The Teeth(tm) after all?

https://twitter.com/BradinLA/status/1575896085486133249

I knew he was. As he said, it's only way to get that voice.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Payndz posted:

That was such a fun LD episode. Didn't realise just how good it would feel to see DS9 and (a subset of) its gang again. I should have realised Quark was pulling something, because as a good Ferengi ethics would never come before profit!

Mariner and Jennifer's relationship is sweet, in a very warped way: "my girlfriend is a maniac, and I love it!"

I'm a straight cis-gender white male so I apologize in advance for not expressing things in the right way.

I wanted to like Discovery for having LBGTQ+ representation, but it kind of felt to me like that representation was somewhat... performative. Like, "Check it. We have two gay guys that are married because we're embracing that this is Teh Future!"

Lower Decks treats Beckett and Jennifer's relationship as a completely normal thing in a much more naturalistic way.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

yeah did it. My partner is a huge DS9 fan and her birthday is coming up so perfect timing

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Jose Oquendo posted:

I knew he was. As he said, it's only way to get that voice.

He didn't quite get the voice right, though. I thought it was somebody else.

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

For the record I do not have a foot fetish.

Animal-Mother posted:

He didn't quite get the voice right, though. I thought it was somebody else.

That's just cause he is old now.

Also if they wanted odo they could have gotten the guy who did that "quark explains nfts to odo" video

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Everyone posted:

I wanted to like Discovery for having LBGTQ+ representation, but it kind of felt to me like that representation was somewhat... performative. Like, "Check it. We have two gay guys that are married because we're embracing that this is Teh Future!"

I think Stamets and Culber are good and awesome and are one of the high points of the show, but feel like they’re being pushed to the forefront simply because Discovery just doesn’t have much of anything else interesting going on.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Phylodox posted:

I think Stamets and Culber are good and awesome and are one of the high points of the show, but feel like they’re being pushed to the forefront simply because Discovery just doesn’t have much of anything else interesting going on.

Somehow the ship gradually becoming sentient because of contact with an ancient interstellar organism became extremely boring. C'mon disco!

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
It feels like the Disco writer's room thinks of character development as a currency you save up to cash in for pathos when the character leaves or dies -- everybody who's had a significant arc over the past few seasons ends up doing just that, if at least temporarily

Stamets and Culber are two thoughtful, well-realized characters but they also don't really grow or go anywhere, especially in season 4 where they mostly existed as a sounding board for Adira and Grey, and I presume that's because the writers have already once tried killing one of them off and needed to technobabble a solution to undo it after realizing how badly it came across

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I really think they didn't have anything left to do with Culber so they killed him off, then there was a massive backlash so they brought him back but they really didn't have a plan for him. I was pleased to see him come back because I like that actor and it's interesting to see a gay character in ST that is coded as we would consider gay in 2022 (I think by the 23rd century, the signifiers we use to code for male homosexuality will go away since they are the result of the forced ghettoization of the queer community throughout most of history - I think/hope it'll be more like on Lower Decks where the sex of your partner is of no more consequence than the color of their eyes) - especially given the discomfort too many people in the fandom react to queer characters. Same reason that it was less interesting that they cast a female actor for the role of Soren instead of a male actor, because even though the character is supposed to be non-gendered, the audience knows that *really* it's a woman playing the role, they don't have to confront any dissonance or discomfort they might feel when they see the heroic Will Riker make out with a guy that is coded as male per the contemporary signifiers - and indeed that they know to be played by a male actor. Also, I like seeing gay male couples in shows because, for whatever reason, male-male relationships are way more controversial than female-female relationships. So when a show is trying to introduce diversity of sexuality, I feel like they'll often play it safer by making the couple or the "gay event" lesbian. See for example: Willow, Roseanne, and of course, the first same sex kiss in all of ST, Jadzia. Now, I think that is more because of the studio, as in the case of The Outcast, Frakes wanted them to cast a male in the Soren role but "the studio" (read Rick Berman) thought that would piss off too many bigots and so they compromised. (Also not to hate on lesbian couples or bisexual characters, who deserve to see themselves represented in the media they consume as much as anyone else, it's just that these demos don't piss off right wing nerds like male homosexuality does)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Chairman posted:

It feels like the Disco writer's room thinks of character development as a currency you save up to cash in for pathos when the character leaves or dies

I feel like this is most noticeable with that one crew member with the bionic implant. She mostly showed up in the background and barely had a few lines but when a season 2 episode began with some random flashback of her on a beach with her husband/boyfriend I just knew they were gonna kill her off. And I really hate to use the term “earned” or “unearned” but it felt unearned. The show did nothing to make me care about her, I didn’t even know her name. Why is a beach flashback going to make me feel bad about her death? Other Trek shows were able to effectively introduce and kill off a character in an episode.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Everyone posted:

I'm a straight cis-gender white male so I apologize in advance for not expressing things in the right way.

Lower Decks treats Beckett and Jennifer's relationship as a completely normal thing in a much more naturalistic way.
It's absolutely the ideal of Star Trek: "we're two people who are attracted to each other, nobody has any issues with that, end of story." None of the other possible qualifiers beyond 'people' matter, and this being the Federation that's a hell of a broad term. That a literal ad-lib from Tawny led to this whole arc is great.

This was the first NuTrek episode I rewatched the same day I first saw it. It hit all the targets for 'stuff you know and love', 'the new stuff you're really enjoying' and 'drat, that was just plain fun!'

(If this was Picard, Jennifer would be having an eye ripped out about now. Oh god, come on, let's let our characters enjoy life for a while...)

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

What was the ad-lib? Was it the 'I hate that Andorian' bit?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I wonder if SNW’s success at the episodic format and writing really good compelling people on screen will give the Disco team any sense of introspection and maybe expand more in character development.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

I wonder if SNW’s success at the episodic format and writing really good compelling people on screen will give the Disco team any sense of introspection and maybe expand more in character development.

Yeah they'll have some sad monologues about it.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Night10194 posted:

What was the ad-lib? Was it the 'I hate that Andorian' bit?

No, it was Mariner yelling "MOVE JENNIFER!!" after they had already animated her shoving an Andorian woman out of the way.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Yeah, the way she said Jennifer implied there was some sort of history there, just not what kind, and from there, ideas bloomed.

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

For the record I do not have a foot fetish.
The best thing about Jennifer is that it is actually pretty realistic for an alien to have a human name (either legally or just as a nickname) like how sometimes poc in western countries have two names, one western sounding and one not.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

A.o.D. posted:

No, it was Mariner yelling "MOVE JENNIFER!!" after they had already animated her shoving an Andorian woman out of the way.

I would discuss this more but right now I feel compelled to watch this episode again for the fourth time in the past two days.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

i thought it was when mariner said she had a cute little butt

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

That was an amazing episode and so good to get Nana Visitor and Armin Shimerman back on the show but my 100% favorite part was when Tendi ripped the guy's tooth out and for a solid 30 seconds I really thought it was because she was just SO IN THE FLOW of piracy that she had to do it or else break the muscle memory.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

A.o.D. posted:

Tawny said that if she knew Jennifer was an Andorian, she would have used a different name.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Astroman posted:

Two Janeways, One Scene:

Bujold:
https://youtu.be/8SIZcDWKyw0

Mulgrew:
https://youtu.be/HQE0V0Wbs-c

Katie murders it. You can absolutely see why Berman didn't think it was working with Version French.0.

Goddamn that is rough. You gotta do Trek like Shakespeare--poorly written Shakespeare. Your audience is only gonna understand every other word and let's be honest, it's mostly nonsense to you, but as long as you guide the audience with how you emote, you keep their attention and get them to understand what is going on. Mulgrew got it right away! That whole scene was gibberish but she tells you what's happening with her tone.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Just saw the latest LD, and holy crap, that was so much fun. I burst out laughing no less than three times during the "DS9 opening" intro, and it only got better from there.

And I've been moderately tempted by a few of the T-shirts before, but I bought the one for this episode instantly.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

MikeJF posted:

I'm listening to an interview with Tawny Newsome and Mike McMahan and she's shouting at him about shoving her into a b-plot doing other bullshit where she doesn't even get to go on the station when DS9 was her favourite series.

Apparently she made him add the scene at the end where she visits Quark's with Jen.

What podcast is this?

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

zoux posted:

If Auberjonois was still alive you know he'd've been down as hell. God I love the Quark/Odo dynamic, that would've been so cool to see the LD comedic twist on it

I would've loved to hear his gravelly voice, harumphs, and a good "Quaaaarrk" or two if he was still around.

run on sentience posted:

That episode made me so happy. I was wondering why Quark's voice was ever so slightly off, then realized Shimerman probably didn't have a mouth full of pointy teeth in the sound booth.

Honestly, they both sounded off. But you know.. it's been 23 years and they've gotten older. They're in their 60s-70s and sound like it. I still enjoyed hearing them. This episode was a real treat.

The_Doctor posted:

That's probably a bit like saying that penguins should be able to fly after observing loads of other birds doing it. I don't think the Disco writers have it in them to write enjoyable stories.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

The_Doctor posted:

Hello, [BRIDGE OFFICER]! What is your favourite [WEST COAST VACATION CITY]?

Gollom
Mar 5, 2007
I pawned the precious

The_Doctor posted:

You should write for Discovery. You've at least got a good understanding of comedy.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Fezz posted:

What podcast is this?

https://gatecrashers.fan/2022/09/29/tawny-newsome-and-mike-mcmahan-talk-star-trek-lower-decks/

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Nullsmack posted:

I would've loved to hear his gravelly voice, harumphs, and a good "Quaaaarrk" or two if he was still around.

Honestly, they both sounded off. But you know.. it's been 23 years and they've gotten older. They're in their 60s-70s and sound like it. I still enjoyed hearing them. This episode was a real treat.

They didn't have the same voices because older bodies, but they still nailed the characters. I could absolutely see Kira having a conversation like she did with Shaxs.

Nullsmack posted:

That's probably a bit like saying that penguins should be able to fly after observing loads of other birds doing it. I don't think the Disco writers have it in them to write enjoyable stories.

I don't think that's completely true. I've seen a few Discovery episodes that I enjoyed. I will say that most of the character stuff was very much on the actors to do the heavy lifting. The writers don't seem to get that plot is something that happens to the characters to bring them to life rather than something for its own sake.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
yeah, Disco has had some genuinely decent episodes and scenes over the past four seasons, but they're stuck in the middle of several-episode spans where everybody just pokes the mystery box and looks thoughtful, then sad, then hopeful, and the cast remains in a holding pattern while the season plot slowly coalesces around them in time for the last two episodes to try to wrap it all up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

The_Doctor posted:

Michelle Paradise via https://trekmovie.com/2022/06/11/star-trek-discovery-season-5-filming-soon-showrunner-sees-no-competition-with-strange-new-worlds/ posted:

No, there’s absolutely no competition at all. And one of the things to Alex [Kurtzman]’s credit that he has said from the beginning is that each of these shows needs to occupy its own space within the larger universe because you don’t want two shows that feel very, very similar. So Discovery and Strange New Worlds, for example, feel very different by design. And Discovery is heavily serialized. And when Strange New Worlds came out, I know, they worked very hard to make sure that it would be its own distinct thing.

And I love that there are different iterations of Star Trek out there right now because some people really love serialized storytelling, and the episodic isn’t quite their thing. And some people love the episodic. and some people love both. It just it seems really like a really cool time to be a fan of Star Trek that you have all of these options on the table.

At least no changes episodic/serialized.