Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

defmacro posted:

Any advice on how to diagnose a circuit breaker that keeps tripping? Here's a shortlist of things I know are on that circuit:

* Microwave.
* Stove (gas).
* Small convection oven.
* A couple of outlets with nothing in them.
* An overhead light.

Sometimes, when we were gone for an extended period of time, I'd come back to that breaker flipped. Now if I reset it it seems to flip back in a matter of minutes, even without running anything. Should I just call an electrician? The aforementioned devices/appliances have been working fine, so I'm unsure how best to debug the issue. Unplug each thing and reset the breaker and see if it flips? How can I test the outlets for a short?

Great place to start it above with the one at a time (or all at a time then add 1 at a time) but otherwise:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3090739

Your breaker might be worn out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

kreeningsons posted:

I have no question that a P100 is the right call for Costco but do you really need one for drywall and fiberglass? I always thought a N95 was fine for drywall/fiberglass sanding. There are significantly more comfortable N95 options like the Envo mask which I can’t say enough good things about.

The Envo mask does look comfortable and yes is probably fine. The 3m comfort respirators are also very comfortable. Good support on top of the head, soft face piece, and the filters are replaceable, cheap, and small enough to fit behind face shields and welding masks. It doesn't filter your exhale, so not great from a public health perspective, however that keeps it nice and cool and easier to breath from when you work.

It's a great respirator. The new one I'm using now is better than the one I had a decade ago and loved.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Switched homeowner's insurance to Swyfft to get away from my barebones policy that made me get new roof or a roof exclusion, told Swyfft I had an ancient asbestos tile roof and they wrote the policy no problem, did the inspection and decided they actually don't cover asbestos tile roofs and cancelled my policy :negative:

Having a real fun time trying to find someone who will insure one, despite there being a ton of asbestos tile roofs in my part of town.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Call a local independent agent. They'll know which companies will write the policies.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Any suggestions on what to do about an oven that doesn’t get as hot as it thinks it is?

Lately sometimes (but not every time) the gas oven will preheat and say it has reached 400F or whatever, but if I check the oven thermometer it will read 350F or something. It has caused problems for more than a couple dinners now.

Of course, no local appliance services are returning my messages and I’d really rather not buy a new stove.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

BadSamaritan posted:

Any suggestions on what to do about an oven that doesn’t get as hot as it thinks it is?

Lately sometimes (but not every time) the gas oven will preheat and say it has reached 400F or whatever, but if I check the oven thermometer it will read 350F or something. It has caused problems for more than a couple dinners now.

Of course, no local appliance services are returning my messages and I’d really rather not buy a new stove.

You can usually calibrate it. Search for your model + calibration, should point you in the right direction.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Also Google make model thermostat and see if it's a cheap and easy part to replace. Even if you get it working now it is already on its way out. Or the control board is. Inconsistent 50f mistakes aren't calibration. (well, they don't sound like it to me at least.)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Your calibration setting might also be limited to +/- 20F or less, anyway

Angry Pie
Feb 4, 2007
Do you want a piece of me?!

Hadlock posted:

Tempted to post this over in the parenting thread but I think I'll get better answers here

Is there a Better Way to childproof an oven, specifically a Bosch range. You can always remove the knobs but looking for alternative solutions

Kind of surprised you can't disable the switches on the front seeing as how it's an electric control board

I would assume your range has a child safety lock feature, maybe check the owner's manual? I can't count the number of gravy service calls I've seen where the customer somehow turned on the child lock or sabbath setting and couldn't figure out how to turn it off.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

H110Hawk posted:

Also Google make model thermostat and see if it's a cheap and easy part to replace. Even if you get it working now it is already on its way out. Or the control board is. Inconsistent 50f mistakes aren't calibration. (well, they don't sound like it to me at least.)

Yeah, it’s a different amount of wrong pretty regularly and I’m pretty sure some part is on its last legs. I just went to roast some potatoes and instead of 400F it was 300F :mad:

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Switched homeowner's insurance to Swyfft to get away from my barebones policy that made me get new roof or a roof exclusion, told Swyfft I had an ancient asbestos tile roof and they wrote the policy no problem, did the inspection and decided they actually don't cover asbestos tile roofs and cancelled my policy :negative:

Having a real fun time trying to find someone who will insure one, despite there being a ton of asbestos tile roofs in my part of town.

i'd have told you never even to talk to swyfft

i finally got my roof check a year and a lawsuit later!

Rasputin on the Ritz
Jun 24, 2010
Come let's mix where Rockefellers
walk with sticks or um-ber-ellas
in their mitts
Well poo poo. My toilet just killed itself.

Anyone ever hear of a tank spontaneously cracking like this? I was laying in bed at midnight, everyone else asleep, and heard a *pop* followed by dripping. Found this when I got up to investigate:

Nothing different. Nothing heavy on the tank (just a spare roll of TP and a paperback). No one moved the lid recently.

Any idea what could have caused it to just kick loose like that?

What’s the story on replacing a toilet on your own? YouTube makes it look pretty easy minus the disposal part. How do you get rid of a broken toilet? Special garbage pickup? Im assuming this is one of those things where all the bits and bobs cost ~$200 at Home Depot and a handyman charges $500 to do it. Or is this the sort of thing where it’s worth calling someone just so they deal with disposal?

Water is turned off to the tank and I just bailed it out past the crack. Floor around the toilet is surrounded with cheap towels just in case.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Toilet disposal is easy. It's mostly air. My dad tossed ours in the driveway and just swept it up. I did the same when my turn came. It's still 100 lbs of ceramic but a lot smaller.

Toilet install also easy provided you don't have any issues. Like, measure the toilet flange roughin depth (probably 12" but if it's 10" the standard size won't fit) , have a new valve ready for the water supply in case the old one is bad (doesn't shut off, bad threads and leaks). Get one of those rubber seals for the drain too, don't bother with the wax ring.

You're like one YouTube away from being at least intermediate at it.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I got curious and googled disposal and I suppose you can do large item pickup with your trash folks. Or put a tarp down and bust the toilet up gently so you don't have a huge mess.

Not as much fun as shot putting it though.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
God sending you a message to upgrade to a fancy rear end bidet. I called the local shop to come install mine, $1000 between parts and labor. Best most refreshing $1000 I ever spent.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I put an old toilet in the trash, just smashed it up.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
In my area you can put old toilets out to the curb for collection, but not if they are broken. Then you'd need to bring them to a depot/dump.

As far as I'm aware they take ceramic, so smashing and bagging would also work here.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Rasputin on the Ritz posted:

Anyone ever hear of a tank spontaneously cracking like this? ...

Material defect. Voids in the vitreous. It happens on occasion.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
(suspiciously-alert 11 year old, through a fake yawn) dad what's going on, why's the toilet broken? Weird, my baseball bat's in the tub!!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

:whitewater:

Rasputin on the Ritz
Jun 24, 2010
in their mitts

PainterofCrap posted:

Material defect. Voids in the vitreous. It happens on occasion.

Can it do that after years in use? We've been here almost two years now and I suspect the toilet was put in when the PO's renovated the place about 3 years before that.

Rasputin on the Ritz
Jun 24, 2010
in their mitts

I see you caught one of the squirrels my neighbor keeps feeding.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Why are you trapping muskrats?

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Anyone ever hear of a tank spontaneously cracking like this? I was laying in bed at midnight, everyone else asleep, and heard a *pop* followed by dripping. Found this when I got up to investigate:

Nothing different. Nothing heavy on the tank (just a spare roll of TP and a paperback). No one moved the lid recently.

Any idea what could have caused it to just kick loose like that?

What’s the story on replacing a toilet on your own? YouTube makes it look pretty easy minus the disposal part. How do you get rid of a broken toilet? Special garbage pickup? Im assuming this is one of those things where all the bits and bobs cost ~$200 at Home Depot and a handyman charges $500 to do it. Or is this the sort of thing where it’s worth calling someone just so they deal with disposal?

Water is turned off to the tank and I just bailed it out past the crack. Floor around the toilet is surrounded with cheap towels just in case.

you can just replace the tank if you can find one the same dimensions, there’s no need to reinstall the whole thing

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

BonerGhost posted:

Why are you trapping muskrats?

No musk, just rat. :(

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Can it do that after years in use? We've been here almost two years now and I suspect the toilet was put in when the PO's renovated the place about 3 years before that.

Yes, it can. For several years.

It may have had a crack that finally took off. It might have been struck by something hard & unyielding that started a crack. Could be a combination of all of these. The central theme here, though, is that you'd have no idea & thus nothing you could do to prevent it.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

hypnophant posted:

you can just replace the tank if you can find one the same dimensions, there’s no need to reinstall the whole thing

American standard is pretty good with warranty claims - I had a crack in the toilet base and they shipped me a new one no questions asked. It did take about a week to get the part, which would suck if this were your only toilet.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
You say that like their shower is broken.

Rasputin on the Ritz
Jun 24, 2010
in their mitts

hypnophant posted:

Nah, this is PO-grade basic toilet, just went ahead and got the one in home depot that says it can flush 7 pool balls. I'm taking that as a challenge.

Installation was easier than I thought it would be, less than 24 hours later and it's in and working fine. I'm going to hold off on caulking around the edge until I"m 110% sure it doesn't have a small leak because I don't want water getting trapped between the toilet and the floor.

A+ would install a new toilet again. All in, including the fancy rubber seal I bought instead of using the wax one that came with the new toilet plus a couple impulse purchases at home depot, I was done for just under $200.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I'm going to hold off on caulking around the edge until I"m 110% sure it doesn't have a small leak because I don't want water getting trapped between the toilet and the floor.

Good plan, and when you do caulk do not caulk around the entire thing. I typically leave whatever is facing the wall open (the back or a side depending on orientation). This way if it starts leaking in the future there's a place for it to easily end up on your bathroom floor quickly so you know it's leaking rather than spending a few months eating your subfloor until you can feel a soft spot and have a much larger problem than just replacing a wax ring.

Rasputin on the Ritz
Jun 24, 2010
in their mitts

Motronic posted:

Good plan, and when you do caulk do not caulk around the entire thing. I typically leave whatever is facing the wall open (the back or a side depending on orientation). This way if it starts leaking in the future there's a place for it to easily end up on your bathroom floor quickly so you know it's leaking rather than spending a few months eating your subfloor until you can feel a soft spot and have a much larger problem than just replacing a wax ring.

Good tip, thanks.

Also not something the PO did. There was probably more caulk around the toilet than around the tub. It was neat on the outside but somehow was inside too and all the gently caress over the place - I half think they might have put a thick bead of caulk down around where the toilet would be and then put it on top of it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Yikes. Yeah, leave an inch or two open an you'll be in good shape. I leave more open if it's a pain in the rear end to get to like something sideways tight against a wall. The caulk is largely cosmetic unless this is commercial/a wet room. So cover the parts you can see nicely and don't sweat the rest.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

H110Hawk posted:

You say that like their shower is broken.
It's all pipes!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Incorrect, it's a series of tubes :smug:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Nah, this is PO-grade basic toilet, just went ahead and got the one in home depot that says it can flush 7 pool balls.

That, and honestly with as short a life as some toilet mechanisms seem to have, that seems like money well spent versus transferring everything else into a replacement tank that costs almost as much on its own as a new toilet.

All in, including the fancy rubber seal I bought instead of using the wax one that came with the new toilet plus a couple impulse purchases at home depot, I was done for just under $200.

That rubber seal is soooooo much nicer than a wax ring, especially if you ever have to pull the toilet again in the future.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Getting ready to head out of town for a few days to discover this morning that 75% of the caulk between the tub and the tile wall in our upstairs shower has ceased to adhere to, well, anything. Mere minutes later, the connection between the kitchen faucet water feed and the pull out hose came off and sprayed the cabinet under the sink real nice.

I've pulled all the old caulk off, cleaned, dried, and reapplied new silicone caulk to the shower and now I'm trying to figure out how the kitchen faucet hoses connect and stay secure.

Glad I didn't have a bunch of meetings this morning. :suicide:

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

StormDrain posted:

That's almost the first thought I had. Will the ceiling and walls be covered in drywall? Walls are dead easy and they'll knock that out in hours, ceiling is a little harder because gravity but not bad. Better to have them do it for sure. Insulation isn't cheap though, probably minimum of $500 in material and don't be surprised if it's double.

And yeah definitely get the outlets where you want them!

I got my quote back...

Using their measurements and quality of insulation I came up with ~$1100 of materials from LowesDepot, so that means they're quoting $2k in labor which seems crazy. I'm wondering if they'd rather not do the work. My partner's boss used to own a construction company and has offered to help, so we're going to do the install ourselves.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Permit me to operate in my normal capacity as a cloud-yelling old man:

Why in the sweet parsimonious gently caress would they design a water-bearing faucet connection to be held together by a plastic clip rather than a threaded and sealed connection? Cost is the only rational explanation that I can come up with.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Nah, this is PO-grade basic toilet, just went ahead and got the one in home depot that says it can flush 7 pool balls. I'm taking that as a challenge.

the real challenge is eating the pool balls first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
this is a long thread so i mightve missed something, but are there any farm/acreage owners in here? how'd you get started with that?

my ultimate fantasy is to live mostly off the grid, rescue a bunch of animals, grow my own food and have enough space to just have a ton of kids and live out my days like that, but land big enough for that is expensive and i'm young enough that my whole life i've been told i'll never own a home so i've never really learned how to go about preparing to acquire one. where should i be looking? what expenses should i be taking into consideration? rn i am improving my credit score and setting aside money for it, but i'd appreciate any advice