Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Mzbundifund posted:

Was Elona ever finished?

its final release was version 1.16 in 2009. IDK what exactly finished means here. You can play through the main quest, beat the final boss, and get a score/credits screen. But there is still an accessible-but-empty "south tyris" continent that shows Noa had further plans for the game.

There are various fan-made mods that expand on it, the biggest and most popular of which is Elona+, which started by adding an Act 2 to the the main story quest in South Tyris and eventually made an Act 3 set on the continent of Lost Irva. It's still being developed in 2022!
It's a Japanese mod though, so to get the act 2 and 3 content translated to English you need to install the separately-made "Elona+ Custom" mod on top of it.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Mzbundifund posted:

Was Elona ever finished?
You could say that the last act is finished (under PLUS) and everything after that is just new features. There is certainly room for an act 4 if that ever becomes a thing.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

How are The Escapists games?

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Didn't know where to post this but really sad. Worked on Metro Exodus.

https://twitter.com/Leonid_Games/status/1576504412465680395

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wiltsghost posted:

Didn't know where to post this but really sad. Worked on Metro Exodus.

https://twitter.com/Leonid_Games/status/1576504412465680395

That sucks. I was wondering how 4A and GSC were doing in all this; Ice Pick Lodge as well.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

repiv posted:

a list of upcoming sony releases leaked, and you're not gonna believe this but returnal is coming to PC

and some other stuff too like horizon forbidden west

You can tell this is legit because it doesn't include Bloodborne.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Azran posted:

:negative:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
A murder mystery game focused on the Bates Motel is strange.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Azran posted:

:negative:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Scalding Coffee posted:

yeah obviously Norman did it. The old lady wouldn't hurt a fly.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1995880/Afterdream/

This one's short and not bad, I like it.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Dredge is really good

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

The 7th Guest posted:

more demos launching for Next Fest this week. bolded are ones i'm interested in, italics mean you may have seen them at E3/various events:

Desktop Dungeons Rewind (a 3D remake/sidequel)
Jackbox Party Pack 9
Potionomics
Hell is Others
Stuntfest - World Tour (THQ Nordic)
Flat Eye
Tails: The Backbone Preludes (didn't even know this existed, interesting! i'm the one person who liked the twist/story shift in backbone)
Friends vs Friends
JETT: The Far Shore (Superbrothers)
Forever Skies
Cassette Beasts
Tiny Troopers: Global Ops
Bravery & Greed
Pixeljunk Scrappers
Birth
Meg's Monster
Decarnation
The Time I Have Left
From Space
VICE NDRCVR (Skybound)

As I should've expected, a lot of devs kept their demos hidden until just now. Still I wish that they hadn't because it'd have made it easier for me to keep it all together and give people the heads up!

Already mentioned before:

WH40K: Warpforge
Beloved Rapture
Capes (superhero xcom?)
Dewdrop Dynasty
Trouble Juice (dev of Toodee & Topdee)
Murder is Game Over
Azure Striker Gunvolt 3
Vengeful Guardian: Moonrider - by the dev of Blazing Chrome and Odallus: The Dark Call
Psychroma
Knuckle Sandwich
Arkanoid: Eternal Battle
SKALD
Stick It to the Stickman (by the dev of Broforce, Gorn, Genital Jousting, and Anger Foot)
Ship of Fools
Slam & Roll
Foolish Mortals
Winter Falling: Battle Tactics
Gunbrella
Sorry We're Open (also in the Haunted PS1 Demo Disc 2022)
Stories from Sol Pt 1 (i enjoy a retro anime/pc98 graphic adventure look)
ZeroRanger
Dungeons of the Amber Griffin
Retro Gadgets
Miniland

Thanks for this reminder. Potionomics sounds and looks like it was heavily inspired by Recettear. I'm looking forward to trying it tomorrow.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Banished was a really good game, but I didn't expect it to single-handedly create a new sub-genre. Aquatico just released a demo and its mechanics are 100% Banished, just in a futuristic undersea setting. Same with Endzone, which is post-apocalyptic Banished. And Patron, which is a very straightforward Banished clone without even a different setting. Furthest afield to my knowledge is Dawn of Man, which took Banished mechanics but moved things significantly in its own direction.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
...Did it? Isn't Banished just a city builder. The hot one right now is Farthest Frontier, I think.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I've seen lots of games described as "like Banished" or inspired by it, but I'm not well versed in the genre to really know what it did to be so unique :thunk:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Impressions games are the GOAT

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Scalding Coffee posted:

It's a truer rendition of Hitchcock's vision with technology that was unavailable in his time

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Wow they refused to put anything in the Murder is Game Over demo, huh? It's like 4 minutes of cutscene then 3 minutes of tutorial then 1 minute of game play and that's it?

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Sab669 posted:

I've seen lots of games described as "like Banished" or inspired by it, but I'm not well versed in the genre to really know what it did to be so unique :thunk:
I've been playing city builders since Sim City on the original Macintosh and I, also, could not tell you what makes Banished unique from any other of the thousands of city builders out there.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Mordja posted:

...Did it? Isn't Banished just a city builder. The hot one right now is Farthest Frontier, I think.
There are some quite specific resource and population management mechanics in all those games that are copied nearly directly from Banished. Not to say that Banished doesn't have it's own antecedents, but it brought things together in a certain way that has been specifically reproduced in all those games I mentioned.

Okay, so a few examples. One is tracking the entire population, so each citizen has a specific home, job, education, and inventory. So better equipment improves the survivability and efficiency of a specific citizen, while living in an individual house allows citizen couples to reproduce. Most of these games copy Banished's lead in having two types of housing, individual and group, where group homes don't allow reproduction.

They also follow Banished's lead in how resources work. There will be scattered depletable resources around the map that can be gathered by citizens without a job elsewhere. But as you develop, you have to use those resources to create sustainable resource harvesting based on buildings with set workers. So there is a progression from gathering to farming/mining/whatever. And this sounds like just a general idea, but the specific mechanics of how you accomplish this are the same, like how you designate harvesting zones for your citizens to work in. Resources are also individually tracked and have to be moved, so depots and marketplaces play an important part in storage and accessibility of those resources.

It all comes together in a very specific type of city builder.

Rebel Blob fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Oct 4, 2022

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Scalding Coffee posted:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Banished and others like it are city builders at heart but are micro focused "survival" type builders instead of strictly economy or population based city management like Sim City. This means you've got smaller populations and more direct influence on their lives or livelihood based on how well you provide food, water, housing, etc. You throw down entire city blocks at once in Sim City but in Farthest Frontier your firewood and food supply might be thrown out of balance if you build one more house and aren't prepared for the drain in resources another family brings.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

sorry, i keep noticing demos haha

Wavetale - this was a Stadia exclusive game up until Stadia's closure so not surprised that they're jumping right into the Next Fest with a demo
The Forest Quartet
Backbeat
LEGO Bricktales
Turbo Kid - a BMX-based metroidvania???? apparently it's based on a movie

I also noticed a couple other metroidvanias besides 9 years of shadow: Count Pumpcula, and Slavania

I think if I dig any deeper I'll start to hit the chaff rather than the wheat so I'll probably stop at that for now

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Oct 4, 2022

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

explosivo posted:

Banished and others like it are city builders at heart but are micro focused "survival" type builders instead of strictly economy or population based city management like Sim City. This means you've got smaller populations and more direct influence on their lives or livelihood based on how well you provide food, water, housing, etc. You throw down entire city blocks at once in Sim City but in Farthest Frontier your firewood and food supply might be thrown out of balance if you build one more house and aren't prepared for the drain in resources another family brings.
This just sounds like Tropico.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

The 7th Guest posted:

sorry, i keep noticing demos haha

Wavetale - this was a Stadia exclusive game up until Stadia's closure so not surprised that they're jumping right into the Next Fest with a demo
The Forest Quartet
Backbeat
Turbo Kid - a BMX-based metroidvania???? apparently it's based on a movie

I also noticed a couple other metroidvanias besides 9 years of shadow: Count Pumpcula, and Slavania

Turbo Kid is a fun movie IMO. I think I saw it on Amazon or Hulu.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/nibellion/status/1576897611470192641?s=21
oh god

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You guys just described impressions city builders and the Anno games

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

WHAT? I know Gamespot's a dead site from a lifetime ago, but to me fandom is just a lovely wiki page, where the eff are they getting all their money from?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

"Deal Increases Fan Reach & Engagement While Driving Affiliate Commerce And Extending 360 Opportunities for Advertisers"
Yay, more opportunities for advertisers, sounds great. Usually you bury that poo poo in your investor guidance announcement, not make it the headline of your public facing press release.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Rebel Blob posted:

Okay, so a few examples. One is tracking the entire population, so each citizen has a specific home, job, education, and inventory. So better equipment improves the survivability and efficiency of a specific citizen, while living in an individual house allows citizen couples to reproduce. Most of these games copy Banished's lead in having two types of housing, individual and group, where group homes don't allow reproduction.
Yeah, the population simulation is what i would say the distinction is - everyone's fully economically simulated rather than abstracted, but there's no or little social system like in a Dwarf Fortress style colony sim. So the structure of your city is a lot more difficult to 'solve' than a game like Anno or Pharaoh where it's about proximity and roads, but you're also not going to enter a tantrum death spiral because someone moved out of their parent's home and could no longer get to the tavern as often.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
Fandom will be acquiring Wikipedia soon. There can only be one.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Yay, more opportunities for advertisers, sounds great. Usually you bury that poo poo in your investor guidance announcement, not make it the headline of your public facing press release.

:capitalism:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sailor Dave posted:

Hell yeah hopefully they put anime titties on every page.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Rebel Blob posted:

There are some quite specific resource and population management mechanics in all those games that are copied nearly directly from Banished. Not to say that Banished doesn't have it's own antecedents, but it brought things together in a certain way that has been specifically reproduced in all those games I mentioned.

They also follow Banished's lead in how resources work. There will be scattered depletable resources around the map that can be gathered by citizens without a job elsewhere. But as you develop, you have to use those resources to create sustainable resource harvesting based on buildings with set workers. So there is a progression from gathering to farming/mining/whatever. And this sounds like just a general idea, but the specific mechanics of how you accomplish this are the same, like how you designate harvesting zones for your citizens to work in. Resources are also individually tracked and have to be moved, so depots and marketplaces play an important part in storage and accessibility of those resources.

It all comes together in a very specific type of city builder.

Thank you for the detailed explanation.

I didn't enjoy Banished at all. I don't think it had anything to do with the specific mechanics you list, but knowing those games draw on it so directly lets me know I should approach them cautiously.

Did nobody explain to Fandom that you're supposed to buy successful companies? I used to rely heavily on gamefaqs, but it's been years since I visited the site.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Sailor Dave posted:

And then Embracer group buys Fandom!

The internet belongs to the Nords

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
anyone who’s played a Yakuza game speaks the names Gamefaqs and CyricZ with reverence

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
It is 2093. Winter. It is brutally cold. Machines have eliminated most of humanity. The embers of man begin to slowly fade.

Only GameFAQ's lives on.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Have they made an offer for SAclopedia?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rox
Sep 7, 2016

Oxxidation posted:

anyone who’s played a Yakuza game speaks the names Gamefaqs and CyricZ with reverence

drat now thats a name i havent thought about in a loooooooong time