Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
i don't think enough source has been released to build a full distro on intel since 10.4.0, aka right before the intel switch. maybe you could build a ppc darwin, not sure. p sure any community darwin since then has been improvising from what little is released and filling gaps with the older sources

Quebec Bagnet fucked around with this message at 08:50 on May 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Quebec Bagnet posted:

i don't think enough source has been released to build a full distro since the 10.4.0 equivalent, aka right before the intel switch

definitely not, but the architecture didn't change much from 10.4 -> 10.6 (if you use an i386 kernel), so you could probably make a frankenstein build with newer poo poo grafted on if you had a shitload of time on your hands

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

Beeftweeter posted:

definitely not, but the architecture didn't change much from 10.4 -> 10.6 (if you use an i386 kernel), so you could probably make a frankenstein build with newer poo poo grafted on if you had a shitload of time on your hands

yeah, which is what the community distros have done afaik. and incidentally hackintosh as well, for a long time the community bootloader was derived from the 2005-era bootloader, for example.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Quebec Bagnet posted:

yeah, which is what the community distros have done afaik. and incidentally hackintosh as well, for a long time the community bootloader was derived from the 2005-era bootloader, for example.

i actually used and worked on hackintosh stuff while at apple even lol

i think you mean chameleon, which iirc used boot-132 (the last oss version), but really only to load darwin. i think the emulated efi environment on bios systems was way more impressive

i haven't tried to do hackintosh poo poo in years though, but the last time i checked they moved on to just using efi natively with their own darwin loading poo poo instead

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

Beeftweeter posted:

i actually used and worked on hackintosh stuff while at apple even lol

i might be misreading this but do you mean for apple? bc i've wondered what things like build farms are made up of and can't imagine it's entirely retail macs. there used to be more "generic" hardware support for standard PC platforms which i assume came from developing darwin/macos on off-the-shelf x86 hardware since that's what was available - a legacy of the next/rhapsody era - and i figured it was retained for internal use.

quote:

i think you mean chameleon, which iirc used boot-132 (the last oss version), but really only to load darwin. i think the emulated efi environment on bios systems was way more impressive

i haven't tried to do hackintosh poo poo in years though, but the last time i checked they moved on to just using efi natively with their own darwin loading poo poo instead

yeah that's what i'm thinking of. i was into hackintosh on and off from like 2006-2011, when everything still had to work on top of bios some way or another, then looked again last year and tbh was very impressed by the opencore project.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Quebec Bagnet posted:

i might be misreading this but do you mean for apple? bc i've wondered what things like build farms are made up of and can't imagine it's entirely retail macs. there used to be more "generic" hardware support for standard PC platforms which i assume came from developing darwin/macos on off-the-shelf x86 hardware since that's what was available - a legacy of the next/rhapsody era - and i figured it was retained for internal use.

you can buy rackmounts for mac minis.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RackMini2XA--sonnet-technologies-rackmac-mini

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Quebec Bagnet posted:

i might be misreading this but do you mean for apple?

oh hell no, it was definitely not allowed. some appleinternal stuff (especially back then, idk about now) can run on normal hardware though

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Beeftweeter posted:

there used to be full opendarwin distros but i don't think one's been released in like 15 years

this is actually really cool?

ive been wondering if i should switch my now-archaic linux HD with a BSD one but i worry i wont know wtf im doing

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Lady Radia posted:

this is actually really cool?

ive been wondering if i should switch my now-archaic linux HD with a BSD one but i worry i wont know wtf im doing

it was cool but effectively useless in practice. you could run x11 + the darwin userland, but poo poo generally had a hard time running since you're basically compiling for OS X without (m)any of the frameworks that, you know, make it OS X

matti
Mar 31, 2019

fwiw at least apple has added some SUSv7 things when they are good

but yeah, the macintosh unix interface is stuck in 2001

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
UNIX and POSIX conformance has been improving with every release

“macOS doesn’t include all the extras that Random Linux does in the base system” isn’t the same as “macOS has been stagnant as a UNIX since 2001”

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

eschaton posted:

“macOS doesn’t include all the extras that Random Linux does in the base system” isn’t the same as “macOS has been stagnant as a UNIX since 2001”
Have you ever met a Linux user?

If their software isn't rolling release based on CI artifacts that are likely to break at any given time for any reason, and with every release including both breaking POLA and ABI/KBI, it isn't moving fast enough for them.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

eschaton posted:

i'm not going back until they make a modern release of A/UX :colbert:

for real someone please do this

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
Just postin' to say that I still use BSD and it's cool and good

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Alright I'm calling it: 2022 is the year of the BSD desktop

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I still like NetBSD

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

AlbertFlasher posted:

Just postin' to say that I still use BSD and it's cool and good

Silver Alicorn posted:

I still like NetBSD

loling at these. can you imagine?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

the software distribution from berkeley is a-okay

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I mean I like NetBSD, I don't actually use it. it's a fun little toy os. looks good on my shelf

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
NetBSD runs pretty nicely on my server

it’s going to very happy when I install the 384GB of RAM that I just got for it

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

netbsd is nice

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

can mods please change the thread title to BSD thread for the 7 goons that still use BSD

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

it should just be: BSD thread for the goon that still uses BSD

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Have you ever met a Linux user?

If their software isn't rolling release based on CI artifacts that are likely to break at any given time for any reason, and with every release including both breaking POLA and ABI/KBI, it isn't moving fast enough for them.

From back in the thread somewhere, but this is pretty much the reason that I'm thinking of using NetBSD on some old hardware to see how it goes. I'm fed up of the continual churn and still use basically the same set of software for day-to-day stuff I have since about 2001, and my requirements even for work on my desktop/laptop are pretty minimal.

Plus I want to see how minimal the hardware can be and not feel too bad, so that I can keep old hardware going with it still being useful! Old or at least cheap...

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

eschaton posted:

NetBSD runs pretty nicely on my server

it’s going to very happy when I install the 384GB of RAM that I just got for it

honestly im shocked that you own anything that recent

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

well it is a ProLiant Gen8 and the Gen11 are coming out so it’s not that recent

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

maybe in another couple years I’ll replace it with a Gen10

(and this time a model with LFF bays, so I can RAID a bunch of huge SATA drives; SFF disks top out at 5TB unless I want to spend $TEXAS on SSDs)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

my server is extremely happy with the 384GB of RAM

I wonder how VMS behaves with modern core counts and RAM ceilings, considering

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

after a few capacitors and a few cents worth of leaded solder you can replace it with uh a digital equipment corp microvax model 3100/40

I just need to figure out which capacitors gave up the ghost in a dramatic and vaguely sweet smelling way

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

trust no capacitor with electrolyte inside

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

eschaton posted:

my server is extremely happy with the 384GB of RAM

I wonder how VMS behaves with modern core counts and RAM ceilings, considering
The VMS Software folks have been working on an x86 port:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH8gAjoOkXI

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
openbsd as a home router is truly badass

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

any os that comes with strlcpy.h out of the box is, truly, not a pos

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I use bsd because freenas/truenas is based on FreeBSD and it’s pretty good except when it sucks

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Dijkstracula posted:

any os that comes with strlcpy.h out of the box is, truly, not a pos

:hai:

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

My power supply died on my computer so I have to send it seasonic for repair/replace. So in the mean time I have installed freebsd on an old dell computer I have and everything seems to be working fine. I set up i3 and have been messing around with that.

Anyways thats my story. Thanks for reading.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

AlbertFlasher posted:

My power supply died on my computer so I have to send it seasonic for repair/replace. So in the mean time I have installed freebsd on an old dell computer I have and everything seems to be working fine. I set up i3 and have been messing around with that.

Anyways thats my story. Thanks for reading.
You should do sway so you can complain about wayland like they do in the other thread.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

You should do sway so you can complain about wayland like they do in the other thread.

lol

I actually thought about going with sway but decided against it. I always have enough problems trying to get x11 working let alone wayland.

But this time it was really easy. All the drivers for the wifi and video were available through the pkg system so I didn't need to get any extra special propitiatory drivers. The only thing I needed to get that was special was the xf86 legacy video drivers because the video card was so old.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

AlbertFlasher posted:

lol

I actually thought about going with sway but decided against it. I always have enough problems trying to get x11 working let alone wayland.

But this time it was really easy. All the drivers for the wifi and video were available through the pkg system so I didn't need to get any extra special propitiatory drivers. The only thing I needed to get that was special was the xf86 legacy video drivers because the video card was so old.
For what it's worth I used to run i3 for a couple years (after finally switching away from ratpoisonwm that I used since 2000), then followed the handbook instructions on how to install sway and have been using that ever since.

Can't say there's been any breakage, despite running 14-CURRENT on a T480s.
Well, there was a couple times when I forgot that locked the kms driver at some point then upgraded packages, which caused the kms driver to fail to load, but that's entirely self-inflicted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

For what it's worth I used to run i3 for a couple years (after finally switching away from ratpoisonwm that I used since 2000), then followed the handbook instructions on how to install sway and have been using that ever since.

Can't say there's been any breakage, despite running 14-CURRENT on a T480s.
Well, there was a couple times when I forgot that locked the kms driver at some point then upgraded packages, which caused the kms driver to fail to load, but that's entirely self-inflicted.

haha ratpoison I forgot about that ui.

This is the first time i've used a tiling wm. I usually use xfce when messing around with freebsd or linux. It took me a little time to get used to moving around the different screens and what not but I am getting more comfortable with it now. I can see why people like it.