Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hey what ever happened to Emeril? I don’t remember him getting milkshake ducked or anything but my memory sucks. He just kind of disappeared from tv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Hey what ever happened to Emeril? I don’t remember him getting milkshake ducked or anything but my memory sucks. He just kind of disappeared from tv.

I’m guessing he refused to get a new hairstyle and Food Network decided he wasn’t edgy enough

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Not milkshake ducked afaik.

https://www.mashed.com/126833/the-real-reason-you-dont-hear-from-emeril-lagasse-anymore/ (clickbait title, there is no one dramatic answer, but there are a bunch of smaller ones)

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

Not milkshake ducked afaik.

https://www.mashed.com/126833/the-real-reason-you-dont-hear-from-emeril-lagasse-anymore/ (clickbait title, there is no one dramatic answer, but there are a bunch of smaller ones)

When I worked in a bookstore, we were a stop for a book signing tour of his. He showed up with a big thing of crawfish etouffee for the staff. And he was really nice to everyone.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

He's showed up as a guest/recurring judge a lot in the last handful or Top Chef seasons and it's always nice to see him. :unsmith:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Someone confused bam for blam and he's gone now.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hvPTqswJn4

This was nice look into the work week of Texas' current #1 BBQ shop. 4 days of prep work for 3 days of sales.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
You’ll all be pleased to know that Nailed It! returns on October 5th :dance:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I didn't realize Priya worked for the NYT. Also, she speaks Spanish!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPMgVXyK_BQ

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/tommysarkar/status/1575285162828611584#m

I'm assuming this dude has a SAG-AFTRA card or some other reason Warner Brothers Discovery wanted to keep excess costs as low as possible.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

mystes posted:

tiki masala does sound like pretty brazen cultural appropriation

Chicken tikka isn't. Chicken tikka masala, as far anyone can tell, was invented by a Pakistani guy running a restaurant in Britain (albeit to appeal to 1950s white tastes), not a white guy.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Just....
Gonna leave this here, and walk away:

https://twitter.com/andyheriaud/status/1577517183982137344?t=RJ5zeM-89K5U7jXVRpI30w&s=19

mystes
May 31, 2006

https://twitter.com/andyheriaud/status/1577518672997863426
Where to put the glockymolo?

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

TAAHcos

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

The instructions for making tortillas was to press hard with the bottom of a casserole dish.

Honestly after seeing just the headlines it was short on straight up racism (the joke at the beginning and the Xanadu bit were not good) and was a lot more "no one in GB has ever seen Mexico."

Paul makes a reference to having just got back from Mexico so I wonder how much of this was as short sighted as him saying "I took this awesome vacation once and here's how that can fit into the show."

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

More cringey and kind of hilarious than that bad. Funny in that it shows how little research they did / how poor the typical English person's understanding of Mexico is. Disrespectful for sure, but the jokes more on them than the subject.

For some real bad stuff, Top Gear did a just astonishingly awful segment in 2010:

quote:

During the second episode of series 16, the presenters mocked the Mexican Mastretta MXT sports car on account of it being designed in Mexico. James May introduced the car as "The Tortilla", then remarked that he did not remember what it was called. Hammond then stated: "Cars reflect national characteristics [...] a Mexican car's just going to be a lazy, feckless, flatulent oaf with a moustache, leaning against a fence asleep, looking at a cactus with a blanket with a hole in the middle on as a coat". This was followed up by James May suggesting that all Mexican food resembles "refried sick" and "sick with cheese on it", Richard Hammond remarking, "I'm sorry, but just imagine waking up and remembering you're Mexican"[20] and Jeremy Clarkson adding, "It'd be brilliant because you could just go straight back to sleep again!" Clarkson ended the segment by suggesting that the Mexican ambassador to Britain would be too lazy to make any kind of complaint.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Christ that’s awful.

Yeah i didn’t think there was anything outright offensive about the Mexican episode, other than maybe the mustache on the one dude’s tres leches cake.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The World Inferno posted:

For some real bad stuff, Top Gear did a just astonishingly awful segment in 2010:
Narrator: The Mexican Ambassador, as it turns out, was not too lazy to complain.

The NYTimes with a well-timed Rick Martinez video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAak0Tg29hY

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The shocking thing about the Top Gear guys' Mexican racism was that James May went along with it and laughed. I've seen him in a lot of shows and he's usually just a kind and goofy guy.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Remember when Paul Hollywood had an affair with TV chef Marcela Valladolid, host of show “Mexican Made Easy”?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Mu Zeta posted:

The shocking thing about the Top Gear guys' Mexican racism was that James May went along with it and laughed. I've seen him in a lot of shows and he's usually just a kind and goofy guy.

I’m sad to report James May is just as much of a dick as any of them. I’ve seen him filming in public, and just being an arsehole to the crew. Avuncular is just his screen persona.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Am I unusual in assuming the entire GBBO Mexican episode was meant to manufacture controversy?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

captkirk posted:

Am I unusual in assuming the entire GBBO Mexican episode was meant to manufacture controversy?

Yes.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Lol I just remembered that GBBO also did a Japanese week a while back that featured bao and fish sauce and racist jokes about curry

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
So should I watch the British people baking show or what

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Tired Moritz posted:

It really is a better baking competition than anything America has to offer. But you can’t forget that at the end of the day, it’s still British people giving out awards for baking.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Watch the earlier seasons before they start making baking from a particular culture no one involved knows well a theme for one episode

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Canadian or one of the other non-British Baking Shows should do a British Week where it's nothing but boiled potatoes and unseasoned organ meat.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
I like the canadian one if you ever thought to yourself "this entirely wholesome show just isn't wholesome enough for me".

flashy_mcflash posted:

Canadian or one of the other non-British Baking Shows should do a British Week where it's nothing but boiled potatoes and unseasoned organ meat.

I would say the british one should do the same but the canadian one does a good enough job of hamfistedly stereotyping canadian food on it's own.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Having a taco challenge for a baking competition is wild. Yeah you need skills to make tortillas, but why not do something else like bolillos. Maybe make tortas if you need to have fillings in there.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Tired Moritz posted:

The Australian version is even better in the wholesome department and the NZ version is an incredible look into how much kiwis are, as a whole, just capable of not giving a gently caress.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Democratic Pirate posted:

Having a taco challenge for a baking competition is wild. Yeah you need skills to make tortillas, but why not do something else like bolillos. Maybe make tortas if you need to have fillings in there.

Paul Hollywood criticizing one of the contestants because there was browning on her tortilla was pretty wtf

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
At least the whole episode wasn't filmed with a brown filter.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

bbcisdabomb posted:

The Australian version is even better in the wholesome department and the NZ version is an incredible look into how much kiwis are, as a whole, just capable of not giving a gently caress.

I watched two or so episodes of the American Bake Off. The producers condensed the episodes down to 40 minutes from 60, and they added those lovely hot takes that American reality TV uses. The end result was really, really terrible TV.

Do the Australian and Canadian and whoever else versions stream anywhere?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Paul Hollywood criticizing one of the contestants because there was browning on her tortilla was pretty wtf

Paul Hollywood the type of dude who raves about the tortillas at Torchy’s Tacos.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

BigHead posted:

I watched two or so episodes of the American Bake Off. The producers condensed the episodes down to 40 minutes from 60, and they added those lovely hot takes that American reality TV uses. The end result was really, really terrible TV.

Do the Australian and Canadian and whoever else versions stream anywhere?

Netflix, if you're in the correct region or have a VPN. I have everything set up to download to my Plex server, it wasn't hard at all.

Fair warning, if you watch Australian Bake Off skip the first season for exactly the same reasons as American Bake Off. They went back to the known formula for season 2 onward and Australian Bake Off season 2 is my favorite season of any Bake Off series.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Great Kiwi Bake-off is also lovely and chill.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Really, it seems it would get dull with only one ingredient

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

Really, it seems it would get dull with only one ingredient
Kiwi is a fruit and two different meats, although one of them might be a bit controversial