Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Is there any map considered the best or the worst out of the lot? World's Edge is probably my least favourite personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is there any map considered the best or the worst out of the lot? World's Edge is probably my least favourite personally.

World's Edge == Olympus > King's Canyon >>>>> Storm Point

:colbert:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

worlds edge is the best map when people are playing to win and the worst map when people don't care and the entire server drops fragment

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Olympus is pretty well-rounded, its major issue is there isn't much cover in certain areas but these areas are easy to avoid anyway.

The other three maps have strong points but also a lot of really bad areas (Fragment in pubs, the KC river, the entire southeast portion of Storm Point).

King's Canyon's flow just got completely disrupted by the changes it got. There's so much third partying and nearly all areas of the map funnel you towards the river which is itself a fuckfest.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Olympus is my favorite. I would like World's Edge if fragment didn't exist.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

repiv posted:

worlds edge is the best map when people are playing to win and the worst map when people don't care and the entire server drops fragment

Yeah

Same with OG Canyon and Skulltown

Olym and Storm have some good POIs but the flow is off.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Daztek posted:

this is correct except,

repiv posted:

people don't care and the entire server drops fragment

so really it just nudges Olympus into a firm #1 spot.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I sure miss Olympus so it’s probably the best.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

kater posted:

I sure miss Olympus so it’s probably the best.

Olympus is the only map that when it's gone I miss.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I don't know why seasons have to lock entire splits to a single map. Just do a daily rotation of at least 2 if not 3.

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.
Olympus is the best, every area is cool and good in its own way except for the orbital canon which is boring and no one goes there anyway

Storm Point is also very good and I like the way the games flow on that map. There is no area I dislike dropping on except for the butthole because it's just a cluster gently caress

Worlds Edge is fine but you have to drop fragment, countdown, or lava siphon. The rest of the map might as well not be there and it gets boring. If it's the ranked map I get sick of it

Kc has a couple cool spots but is mostly bad now

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I kinda want the Storm Point animals to travel. Like prowlers follow sounds of battle.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Olympus is the only map that seems to effectively incentivize people to just drop all over the place, even in quickplay. Olympus in ranked plays really well, especially after the latest round of changes opening the map up more. Loot density generally feels pretty good on Olympus. King's canyon is super brawly and imo a lot of fun in quickplay because of that, but god it's pain to play in ranked, especially with the new circle changes. you're either hosed by the circle or getting gangbanged in the center. Personally I think world's edge is pretty good in quickplay, albeit people do kind of overly drop the hotspots on the flight path, but ime in like 2/3 of the games you have eventful mid-late game. I think World's edge is the best ranked map insofar as you can drop any quarter of the map and there'll be strong options which makes for decent density of teams. Early and early-mid game on WE is generally fighting the quadrant you dropped in and then it's a solid redeploy or couple minutes of moving to get to the next round of fights. Whoever said above that WE is the best when everyone is playing to win was dead on the money.

I hate storm point for both quickplay and ranked. The heavy-handed verticality fucks up movement and rotations on almost every level and the map is super segmented with hard choke points, and the vast majority of games I play on storm point have very long periods of not seeing anyone or anything, which is horrible. I'm not trying to play apex to spend 35 of the last 45 minutes running around seeing nothing. It also has just a couple focal points that 80% of the squads drop into so, particularly in quickplay, you'll have most of the lobby gone within a circle. The focal points are also not loot dense enough for the number of squads regularly landing in them and IMO this is the single biggest thing making the early game on storm point feel underwhelming if you aren't cold/lukewarm dropping.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Oct 11, 2022

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

https://twitter.com/playapex/status/1579941303588388864

Gun Run is back, and this time Estates on Olympus After Dark is in the map rotation. I really enjoy Gun Run, and I’m not just saying that because I won all 3 matches I’ve played today. I hope it joins Control as a frequently recurring LTM.

Back in regular BR there’s a special item in the replicators. For 125 mats you can craft a “Golden Ticket”, which gives you a random fully kitted gun, some ammo, and “a ticket to see the future home of the Apex Games”. Doesn’t seem like it does anything until next Wednesday though, based on the “A NEW HOME” option in the mode select screen.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Replace arenas with gun run, tia

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Relyssa posted:

Replace arenas with gun run, tia

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
make control a permanent mode

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Relyssa posted:

Replace arenas with anything, tia

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
Gun run is absolutely horrific on estates, there's way too much open space

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Tokubetsu posted:

make control a permanent mode

with arena sized maps though

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Hackan Slash posted:

Gun run is absolutely terrific on estates

FTFY :discourse:

runchild
May 26, 2010

https://twitter.com/playapex/status/1580645731139846145
Looks like “T” aka “Ms. Smith” is:
-probably the new legend
-into crystals and tarot and stuff
-looking to join the Cleo Recovery Council, one of the organizations trying to deal with Boreas’s whole hosed up moon situation

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The problem with Arenas is that there's an excessive amount of downtime in between action. I have no clue how they realized the playerbase wanted a deathmatch-y mode and then screwed it up so badly.

I can finish shopping in 5 seconds, why do I need to stand around for another 25 seconds before I can actually go shoot people?

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

They even made a ranked mode for it that's taking up space in the menus that could be used for a permanent control or gun run.

I usually play arenas once a season in like a marathon session to clean up all my bounties and finish off the battle pass and I actually tend to enjoy doing it that way. But whenever I try to just randomly play arenas I find myself bored or frustrated.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

The problem with Arenas is that there's an excessive amount of downtime in between action. I have no clue how they realized the playerbase wanted a deathmatch-y mode and then screwed it up so badly.

I can finish shopping in 5 seconds, why do I need to stand around for another 25 seconds before I can actually go shoot people?

Arenas is not a deathmatch competitor. It’s a tactical shooter competitor in response to valorant.

It’s pretty good though, certainly less downtime than most BR rounds where you spend like 10 mins running for 2-5 minutes of action.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

even under that premise there's no reason for the buy time to be as long as it is

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah I agree on that

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
I haven't played stuff like valorant or cs in a long rear end time but aren't most buy rounds 30 seconds ish?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

they are but CS and valorant have more pre-round strategy than deciding whether to go left or right

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Tokubetsu posted:

I haven't played stuff like valorant or cs in a long rear end time but aren't most buy rounds 30 seconds ish?

I also haven't played CS in a long time (and Valorant never), but as far as I remember CS has 5 seconds of dedicated buy time before each round. You can also buy for a while at the beginning of the round (might be 30 seconds), but if you need that time to buy it means you're just standing in your spawn while everyone else is moving out.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

valorant is closer to how apex arenas work, you can run around in the spawn but are blocked by walls for the first 30 seconds

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah Valorant is pretty long because a lot of agents need to do pre-round setups or lineups on top of the buying.

The spawn area is more like 40% of the map each side so when rounds start players can see each other near instantly.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
pubg's one minute wait was way too drat long

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Daztek posted:

:colbert:

is this why almost all my wins are in storm point? people just hate that map? lmao

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Truga posted:

is this why almost all my wins are in storm point? people just hate that map? lmao

Storm Point is a good map for ranked and competitive play. Storm Point is a bad map if you just want to get from fight to fight as quickly as possible. It's large and designed so you're typically more isolated than the rest of the maps which makes it easier to get clean fights but that also means there's more downtime between fights.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Any Xbox goons still playing this? I like to play weekend mornings / afternoons and weeknights around 5:30PT.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Bottom Liner posted:

It’s pretty good though, certainly less downtime than most BR rounds where you spend like 10 mins running for 2-5 minutes of action.

It's a completely different type of downtime, though. In BR I'm looting, scouting for enemies, positioning for the next fight or for the next ring, and just in general running around and sliding all over the place (which itself is a simple type of fun).

In the arena I'm standing around, dropping holos, or practicing my walljumps.

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.
Anybody tried to play on a steam deck yet?

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Pretty sure EAC means that won't happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runchild
May 26, 2010

Reek posted:

Anybody tried to play on a steam deck yet?

ProtonDB gives it a Gold rating, which it says means “runs perfectly after tweaks”.

Overminty posted:

Pretty sure EAC means that won't happen.

Looks like Respawn added Linux and EAC support early this year. But also never officially announced it for some reason? Idunno.