Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

I also think that the way they set up this hearing is excellent for making the government look competent, serious and well... telegenic. Its so far removed from the usual hooting and hollering and obfuscating Republican reps tend to engage in when its a split committee I think people are really not going to tolerate the chaff throwing from here on out.

Edit:

Wow, they are just proving he was knowingly lying the whole time. This is pretty damning, but of course the ones who most need to hear it aren't going to buy it.

Oracle fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Madkal posted:

I was more hung up on her say "may ultimately decide....". Should have said "will ultimately decide..." and not use the word "may."

I mean this in the nicest way, but maybe after basic misunderstanding number 3 in one idea you should probably stop and wonder why you think what you're thinking.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Xiahou Dun posted:

I mean this in the nicest way, but maybe after basic misunderstanding number 3 in one idea you should probably stop and wonder why you think what you're thinking.

Cool. So let me ask after what she said what outcomes are you hoping for?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
The committee is going to vote to subpoena Trump:
https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/jan-6-hearing-livestream-10-13-2022/index.html

Hmm I wonder how the vote will go...

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
:siren: Subpoena to Trump incoming :siren:

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Madkal posted:

Cool. So let me ask after what she said what outcomes are you hoping for?

You mean Liz Cheney? Who's "she" here?

For the committee as it whole, it seems like :

Probably to subpeona Trump which can mean he either complies and we get some... interesting testimony or he can try to pull a Bannon and see how that shakes out.

No matter what, this puts a bunch of information on the public record which lets us know what's going on and at least this is all informally being sent over to DOJ (we assume).

I don't understand what you mean about "hope" here. I'm gonna see what happens and then deal with it because that's how government works.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Trump is definitely not going to comply with the subpoena and this will get dragged out probably up to the supreme court where it will be squashed.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
How loving long are "opening statements" going to be? And is that all it's going to be?

Anarchy Stocking
Jan 19, 2006

O wicked spirit born of a lost soul in limbo!
Imagine getting to say "don't gently caress around" in a Congressional committee meeting on national television.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Charliegrs posted:

Trump is definitely not going to comply with the subpoena and this will get dragged out probably up to the supreme court where it will be squashed.

Bannon's wasn't quashed. "Trump is special" isn't much of a defense.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

How loving long are "opening statements" going to be? And is that all it's going to be?

My cable box says this hearing is going on for another 2 hours or so.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Charliegrs posted:

I get the pessimism, given that the Supreme Court loving Sucks, but going by what we've seen with the courts in the MAL investigation, it's far from a given that they'll arbitrarily rule in his favor on this--Heritage Foundation's flavor of terrible isn't the exact same as Trump's flavor of terrible, and conservative judges are typically more about the former than the latter.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
The subpoena won't matter, since Trump will just drag it out until January, when Qanon takes control of the House and the subpoena becomes irrelevant.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Man, Nancy Pelosi is looking good from this footage.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Hoe many times is Pelosi going to say "President of the United States?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

azflyboy posted:

The subpoena won't matter, since Trump will just drag it out until January, when Qanon takes control of the House and the subpoena becomes irrelevant.
This. It's purely spectacle. The committee will be broken up by January, but since it's not going to influence any midterm results after this one (plus no one is going to give a poo poo come winter when our gas reserves will really be stressed and we'll see the economy get really hosed up), I wouldn't be surprised if the committee won't get around to doing any more hearings. Maybe "plan" one after January so they can blame Republicans for pulling the plug.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Clean up the poo poo

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
Apparently Major had the right idea with regards to the Secret Service.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Edward Mass posted:

Man, Nancy Pelosi is looking good from this footage.

seriously. she's coming off as remarkably level headed and competent during all this

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme
Supreme Court rejected the request to intervene in the Mar-a-Lago papers case. Unsigned, one sentence order, so the special master doesn't get to see the classified documents.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Timmy Age 6 posted:

Supreme Court rejected the request to intervene in the Mar-a-Lago papers case. Unsigned, one sentence order, so the special master doesn't get to see the classified documents.

This is now a fait accompli. The DOJ has already finished reviewing everything they took, and if they have Goldilocks documents they can indict on, there are no more roadblocks to doing it.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Timmy Age 6 posted:

:lol:

Even Supreme Justice Dipshit didn't want to touch possible treason. Cannon truly is a special one

MSB3000
Jul 30, 2008
This is taking forever, when do we finally get to the part where we throw Trump into the national volcano?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
1, 2, 3, 4, fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiifth

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
ooooohhhhh boy I can't wait to see them haul pmurts rear end in

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

So, they're gonna do one more of these, but dragging Trump in to answer questions himself... why? What could they possibly gain by that? Are they going to do it behind closed doors/off camera, so he can't dogwhistle and grandstand to his loyal followers, especially right before the midterms?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Class3KillStorm posted:

So, they're gonna do one more of these, but dragging Trump in to answer questions himself... why? What could they possibly gain by that? Are they going to do it behind closed doors/off camera, so he can't dogwhistle and grandstand to his loyal followers, especially right before the midterms?

I'm guessing he's just going to refuse to show up? And when eventually forced, take the 5th.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Class3KillStorm posted:

If he answers he is on camera being evasive to competent, pointed questions.

If he rejects the hearing and avoids it he opens himself up to criminal and financial liability.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Class3KillStorm posted:

It gives the Dems some headlines before midterms. That's it. No one expects Trump to show up before the committee is disbanded.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 13, 2022

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

mobby_6kl posted:

I'm guessing he's just going to refuse to show up? And when eventually forced, take the 5th.

Probably but you never know if he might have a Nathan Jessep outburst.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
The Party of Personal Responsibility, everyone!

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Just loving say yes

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I imagine there's at least enough time before the GOP takes over for him to refuse to appear and thus be charged with contempt.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Class3KillStorm posted:

why do anything

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Tayter Swift posted:

I imagine there's at least enough time before the GOP takes over for him to refuse to appear and thus be charged with contempt.

There absolutely is.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Class3KillStorm posted:

Facing your accusers in court is a fundamental right*. Going on for months on all this without giving Trump a chance to answer the charges being made is an injustice.

Trump won't see it that way, but giving him the opportunity matters.

*Yes, I know it's not a legal court, but it's a court-like proceeding so it's in the same ballpark.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
So, I don't know much about the 5th, but there are situations where it's invalid, right? Like, it has to be something that could incriminate you?

If they were asking Trump in order to investigate about crimes committed by others actors, could he plead the 5th about that?

I'm not going anywhere with this, I don't have any ideas specifically, it just seems so... incredibly pointless to subpoena someone who's just gonna say, "5th, 5th, 5th." Which, even that I can understand, sometimes the democrats are gonna do pointless poo poo just as political kabuki. But then they played that video of people pleading the 5th right after they said they were gonna subpoena Trump, as if to remind you that was all that would happen and that what they're doing is pointless. It seems weird for them to admit that what they're doing has no value.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
I'm not saying it's impossible but it's hard to imagine Donald Trump successfully pleading the fifth without incriminating himself. Like what are the odds that Trump says "I have a right to remain silent" and then proceeds to remain silent.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Yeah, as the questioner, just ask the question, let him plead the fifth, and then...wait. He won't be able to resist the silence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

XboxPants posted:

So, I don't know much about the 5th, but there are situations where it's invalid, right? Like, it has to be something that could incriminate you?

If they were asking Trump in order to investigate about crimes committed by others actors, could he plead the 5th about that?

I'm not going anywhere with this, I don't have any ideas specifically, it just seems so... incredibly pointless to subpoena someone who's just gonna say, "5th, 5th, 5th." Which, even that I can understand, sometimes the democrats are gonna do pointless poo poo just as political kabuki. But then they played that video of people pleading the 5th right after they said they were gonna subpoena Trump, as if to remind you that was all that would happen and that what they're doing is pointless. It seems weird for them to admit that what they're doing has no value.

If he answers the call he is on camera being evasive and bitchy to competent, pointed questions.

If he rejects the hearing and avoids it he opens himself up to criminal and financial liability.