Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Sydin posted:

I believe they said it was available internationally via Disney+ instead of Hulu.

If you still can't get it there's always the :filez: route.

It's not on my Disney+ at least. :(
The Bleach live action movie however is on Netflix, so maybe it'll show up there at some point.
I think they had the show at some point as well, but that apparently disappeared in a puff of rights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Kenpachi using both hands and Ichigo flash stepping better than Byakuya are actually better than my previous answers.

I would also like to submit the Aizen as a villain reveal. That poo poo was actually wild reading it week to week.

poo poo, even after years and years of cultural osmosis it was a great reveal when I got there in the manga.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Oh, yeah, the Aizen twist was excellently executed.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

Darth TNT posted:

It's not on my Disney+ at least. :(
The Bleach live action movie however is on Netflix, so maybe it'll show up there at some point.
I think they had the show at some point as well, but that apparently disappeared in a puff of rights.
The Bleach live action movie is okay, it's better if you watched Kamen Rider Fourze because it was a reunion of sorts

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Aizen stopping Zangetsu with a single finger and Number One just cutting off mid song was fantastic.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Doc Fission posted:

Oh, yeah, the Aizen twist was excellently executed.

I just remember being totally SHOCKED. AIZEN WAS ALIVE THIS WHOLE TIME?!

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Two of my favorite moments happen back to back. When Ichigo's friend Mizuiro throws a loving gas bomb at Aizen, who is practically a god at that point, and then when Gin double-crosses him. In a world where everyone talks about their powers endlessly, lying about yours is a pro strat. Too bad it didn't accomplish anything.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Aizen twist was completely unexpected, but to be fair the only way for it to be possible would be if Aizen had some kind of power that would allow him to hypnotize/change perception of the majority of Soul Society members and surely author wouldn't give a villain such a clearly overpowered and almost uncounterable ability, right? :v:

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Gologle posted:

Hey, so, very subjective question: Is there any moment in Bleach as hype for you as the Flying Raijin Level 2 from Naruto?

> Ichigo stopping the Sokyoku during Rukia's execution
> Zanka no Tachi

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Aside from the obvious moments like Ichigo’s first Bankai, I’d have to say that cliffhanger at the end of one volume where they finally reach Rukia’s prison… only to get the one-two punch of Ganju realizing that she’s his brother’s killer, and Byakuya cornering them like he’s the killer in a slasher flick.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Lt. Lizard posted:

Aizen twist was completely unexpected, but to be fair the only way for it to be possible would be if Aizen had some kind of power that would allow him to hypnotize/change perception of the majority of Soul Society members and surely author wouldn't give a villain such a clearly overpowered and almost uncounterable ability, right? :v:

I mean, most of it could probably have been done with a much smaller-scale illusion ability and just having two other captains in on it. The actual twist and the basic outline of Aizen's plan were perfect for a shounen manga. The total hypnosis effect was just overdoing it. (Also could have done with Aizen not having a virtually consequence-free backup plan if he failed at executing Rukia.)

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

I mean, most of it could probably have been done with a much smaller-scale illusion ability and just having two other captains in on it. The actual twist and the basic outline of Aizen's plan were perfect for a shounen manga. The total hypnosis effect was just overdoing it. (Also could have done with Aizen not having a virtually consequence-free backup plan if he failed at executing Rukia.)

I think it's pretty evident that underneath it all, Aizen has a deep seated flair for dramatics.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
A fun thing about Aizen also is that he's actually kinda petty and holds grudges over really innocuous stuff, and will go over the top to settle them. Like he remembers Shinji's "since you were in your mother's womb" dig and throws it back in his face a hundred years later. He also did not at all need to make Hitsugaya stab Momo in order to beat him and the other captains, he just did it to be a dick. Also what finally makes him epiclly lose his poo poo, even more than Ichigo overpowering him, is Ichigo throwing Aizen's "why did distance yourself from me?" line back at him.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

SerSpook posted:

and then reveals it's just another arrow

hell yeah

edit: when Aizen explodes his glasses with his reiatsu and slicks his hair back like some kind of Anti-Superman

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sydin posted:

A fun thing about Aizen also is that he's actually kinda petty and holds grudges over really innocuous stuff, and will go over the top to settle them. Like he remembers Shinji's "since you were in your mother's womb" dig and throws it back in his face a hundred years later. He also did not at all need to make Hitsugaya stab Momo in order to beat him and the other captains, he just did it to be a dick. Also what finally makes him epiclly lose his poo poo, even more than Ichigo overpowering him, is Ichigo throwing Aizen's "why did distance yourself from me?" line back at him.

In CFYOW he also does seem to have at least some degree of loyalty to Tousen on the couple occasions he speaks or it goes to him monologuing to himself. I also think you can read his continued use of the illusions and arrancar and such even when he could just clown on everybody around except like Yamamoto as either him enjoying being a dick or just not being entirely sure he's strong enough to do it.

Many layers to Aizen. Ridiculously overpowered villain but he has the charisma to make up for it. Aizen rules.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

hiddenriverninja posted:

edit: when Aizen explodes his glasses with his reiatsu and slicks his hair back like some kind of Anti-Superman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UyATGvjL-4

I've never forgotten this and I'm glad it still exists. It's so very 2000s, just like Bleach.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

chumbler posted:

Aizen rules.

He was way cooler than Orochimaru and any other Shonen manga villains at the time

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Hypest Aizen moment was him straight up canceling Ichigo's theme song and one-shotting him in the same breath.

drat, Soul Society arc really was peak Bleach and peak Kubo.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Aizen is probably my favorite bullshit overpowered shonen villain. Early All for One from MHA got close, but later arcs made him a lot more boring.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Gin absolutely had the best summary of what makes Aizen a great villain:

quote:

That’s right. Aizen isn’t feared because he can use Kyokasuigetsu. Yes, Kyokasuigetsu’s power is terrifying. But that alone would not have been enough to subdue those who would rather die than to obey. That was the only reason why those powerful espadas were able to function as a group despite their personal motives. Because he’s strong. All of Captain Aizen’s abilities are far beyond everyone else’s. Youre going to take precautions against Kyokasuigetsu? Your plans aren’t good enough. You’re going to take precautions against everything else? Your plans still aren’t good enough. Even if you gather your minds against unfortunate events like the sky falling or the earth splitting, Captain Aizen’s abilities are far beyond your plans.

Not only did he have a power that would be ridiculously OP in most contexts, Aizen himself was so much raw power that even if his Zanpakuto was rendered somehow unusable he could still gib just about anyone but old man yama with the absolute minimum level of effort.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The call back of him doing the full incantation of kurohitsugi against Ichigo who basically just waves it off when even a greatly weakened version put down Komamura was good.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Wasn't it hinted that Unohana could see through Kyoka Suigetsu? Also I seem to remember Aizen being scared of her at one point. God I wish we got Unohana vs. Aizen.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I don't like Aizen for the same reason I don't like Freeza. When you start with your villain being 1,000.000x stronger than everyone else, it demands your protagonists have bullshit powrup after bullshit powerup just to hang with them. That happened with Ichigo for certain since Kubo wanted him to go from not even being able to hang with one of Aizen's underlings to being on par with Aizen. Some fans dispute Ulquiorra being the 4th Espada in terms of power but none of them were even close to Aizen and Ichigo was weaker than Ulquiorra right before he has to go fight Aizen.

It's just not entertaining to have these absurd leaps in power because oops I made my villain too strong.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Oct 14, 2022

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Wasn't it hinted that Unohana could see through Kyoka Suigetsu? Also I seem to remember Aizen being scared of her at one point. God I wish we got Unohana vs. Aizen.

Kinda, specifically Aizen created an illusion of his dead body and Unohana while doing an autopsy noticed extremely minor things about the body here and there that seemed off. I think it's less that she saw through Aizen's power and more that Aizen - possessing very strong but still less intimate knowledge of the human body than Unohana - created an illusion that was not perfect enough to fully stand up to her detailed scrutiny.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

I don't like Aizen for the same reason I don't like Freeza. When you start with your villain being 1,000.000x stronger than everyone else, it demands your protagonists have bullshit powrup after bullshit powerup just to hang with them. That happened with Ichigo for certain since Kubo wanted him to go from not even being able to hang with one of Aizen's underlings to being on par with Aizen. Some fans dispute Ulquiorra being the 4th Espada in terms of power but none of them were even close to Aizen and Ichigo was weaker than Ulquiorra right before he has to go fight Aizen.

It's just not entertaining to have these absurd leaps in power because oops I made my villain too strong.
Same, I think the Aizen reveal was super cool, and him stopping Ichigo with one finger was a cool visual and a cool moment, but my immediate reaction to the finger stop moment was something like "oh great here we go again, cue 100 episodes of leveling up to catch up to Aizen" and I just kind of immediately lost interest.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Everything Yamamoto did in the fake karakura town arc.

Ichigo turning hollow in the Ulquiorra fight.

Gin betraying Aizen at the last possible minute.

The final battle between Ichigo and Aizen.

Also, I really liked Ichigo's fullbringer outfit, and later Kugo's outfit after he stole it. I've always liked that kind of human exoskeleton motif.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Yamamoto fuckin rules even though later Bleach makes it very clear that if he had gotten off his rear end he could have handled any and every problem before that point entirely by himself.

Dude could have taken out Aizen and every Espada with no backup if he could be bothered to go to Hueco Mundo.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Bisse posted:

Same, I think the Aizen reveal was super cool, and him stopping Ichigo with one finger was a cool visual and a cool moment, but my immediate reaction to the finger stop moment was something like "oh great here we go again, cue 100 episodes of leveling up to catch up to Aizen" and I just kind of immediately lost interest.

It's the only modern shounen I follow (unless One Piece counts...but OP started before Bleach did!) and My Hero Academia's approach seems very popular. Yes, All fro One is galaxies ahead of everyone but he isn't the villain. Shigaraki is. Shiggy is a chump for a good long while, a bigger loser than our main hero Izuku. Their parallels are not subtle with the whole My Villain Academia thing. We watch the bad guys struggle and grow just like we watch the good guys do the same.

Jujitsu Kaisen is the only other modern shounen I might get into, depending on if S2 catches my interest, but the fact it starts with an All Might or a Dumbledore and nobody else, no bad guy, is even close to him - that really intrigues me. I've never seen this before.

So yeah, I definitely agree that starting with our hero being so far behind the villain is very tiresome.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Yamamoto fuckin rules even though later Bleach makes it very clear that if he had gotten off his rear end he could have handled any and every problem before that point entirely by himself.

Dude could have taken out Aizen and every Espada with no backup if he could be bothered to go to Hueco Mundo.

It's almost incredible that someone manages to be lazier than Shunsui

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Barragan may have been problematic just due to match ups.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
This arc is from chapters 480–648. Just over 200 chapters. It’s basically a third of the manga holy poo poo. I had completely forgotten just how long this poo poo goes on for.

Anime watchers are in for a wild ride.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
My favorite moment from the anime and manga was Findor and Hisagi fighting. Just an incredible matchup.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

PringleCreamEgg posted:

The whole Fake Karakura bit is funny because yeah he steps in momentarily to save the VC's from Aryon but also he just stands there like an rear end in a top hat and watches Aizen 1v20 all the captains and vizards and only enters the fray once all of them have been beaten.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Izuru fuckin executing that bird dude in cold blood. Wish we saw more of that from him.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Apprentice Dick posted:

My favorite moment from the anime and manga was Findor and Hisagi fighting. Just an incredible matchup.

Yeah that one is done really well in the anime. Great song during it as well.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

The sound design is so good too.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

You know, I'm just remembering something.

There was an entire saga between Aizen's defeat and the Sternritter bullshit.

But I don't remember anything about it besides having a faint recollection about an absolutely hilarious and bullshit power and all the new characters being largely terrible.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Funky Valentine posted:

But I don't remember anything about it besides having a faint recollection about an absolutely hilarious and bullshit power and all the new characters being largely terrible.

We went from enemies having numbers to having letters

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

The Fullbring Arc.

They had interesting powers, more than just Big Energy Attacks or whatnot.

Sadly having creative powers < big energy attacks so all the Captains destroyed them and that was that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Kenpachi's "loving boring" is still pretty good though.