Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
lose a patient on the table and just scream ALEXA PLAY DESPACITO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
Kanye bought Parler, didn't BCC the announcement, doxxed the whole user base:

https://twitter.com/TrackInflation/status/1582037239718383616

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

Ultraklystron posted:

Kanye bought Parler, didn't BCC the announcement, doxxed the whole user base:

https://twitter.com/TrackInflation/status/1582037239718383616

Tweet's dead but I got the pic:

the free-est of speech!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I use my HomePod to get the current weather as well. :unsmith:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
tweet was deleted for "violating Twitter rules" presumably for doxxing

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/trackinflation/status/1582041566763708421

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
lmao what a gift on this cursed monday

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
does parler just have a few hundred users or is it just the VIP users that got doxxed?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
think it was just the VIPs

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

ymgve posted:

does parler just have a few hundred users or is it just the VIP users that got doxxed?

every VIP that's been buying their "free" "speech"

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
ah it was all the Verified users who got cc'd lmao

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

is this the one that requires a SSN to sign up?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
why did they ever settle on 192.168 anyways

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Wild EEPROM posted:

why did they ever settle on 192.168 anyways

apple thread, but, cuz of RFC1918

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc1918

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

192.168 was assigned by IANA for private use at least as RFC1918’s predecessor RFC1597 was being written, but neither RFC illuminates the reason for choosing those specific address ranges. someone should ask Jon Postel, maybe

10.0.0.0/8 had been allocated for ARPAnet, previously. it was defunct by then, but its addresses had been hard-coded (or widely configured at least) into various pieces of network backbone infrastructure so it couldn’t really be re-issued for public use. made sense to just declare it unfit for public routing and reserve it for “unrouted” private subnets, I guess

I dunno about 172.16 or 192.168, but maybe they were just not allocated yet. they were still handing out Bs and contiguous-prefix blocks of Cs pretty freely at that point

(note also RFC1627 in which some Sun/SGI/Apple bros whine about the whole idea of private address spaces being impractical and not having IETF consensus. seems that they sorted that out by 1996 because RFC1918 obsoletes that one as well)

I dimly recall the migration of various systems to 1918-space when I was working on early-to-me Internet connectivity. prior to that I believe there was a different class A that was known to be unused by its owner and was co-opted by people for their own use. I forget the details of that

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
neat

what about the 169.254 dhcp failed subnet?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I think that’s just for link-local/unrouted addressing, so you can only talk to machines on the same media and it can arp-scan its way to finding a free address. it might have some relationship to multicast or rendezvous, or I might be mixing myself up!

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

haveblue posted:

neat

what about the 169.254 dhcp failed subnet?

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc3927

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

multicast is ... uh, 224.0.0.0/4? Did I do that math right?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

sb hermit posted:

correct. the 240.0.0.0/4 is "not routable not assigned do not use we are ignoring all proposals to activate it don't @ me"

every few years someone sends in a proposal to activate 240.0.0.0/4 for unicast routing and every time they point out "literally every OS out there can already do it why have we not done this poo poo yet" and every time it expires without being ratified or whatever because an IOS image from 1997 might not know what to do

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

same goes for 127.0.0.0/8 really. There are proposals to shrink the loopback address space to 127.0.0.0/16, freeing up another ~16.7 million addresses for unicast routing starting from 127.1.0.0

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

spankmeister posted:

same goes for 127.0.0.0/8 really. There are proposals to shrink the loopback address space to 127.0.0.0/16, freeing up another ~16.7 million addresses for unicast routing starting from 127.1.0.0

gently caress those ill-considered proposals.

Lots of lovely ipv4 address validation code out there (that I wrote) that will crap their pants and raise an error if you declare a host in a reserved space because someone made a mistake that upper management thinks the UI should catch. And lol if you think people are going to make updated firmware to accommodate this crap.

Might as well keep pushing for ipv6 rather than try another harebrained scheme to extend the life of ipv4

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

sb hermit posted:

spankmeister posted:

multicast, like localhost, is being heavily shortened to free up more address space
it's absolutely gonna break a shitload of middleboxen, it's gonna be glorious

and best of all, it won't fix the problem and ipv6 will have turned a quarter of a century old by the time they get even close to any success

mystes
May 31, 2006

sb hermit posted:

Might as well keep pushing for ipv6 rather than try another harebrained scheme to extend the life of ipv4
Yeah this... If making these changes is likely to break lots of old junk anyway, better to just let ipv4 die and hopefully finally switch to ipv6

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

mystes posted:

Yeah this... If making these changes is likely to break lots of old junk anyway, better to just let ipv4 die and hopefully finally switch to ipv6

my isp still doesn't give me v6 addresses and has zero plans to lmao

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Shame Boy posted:

my isp still doesn't give me v6 addresses and has zero plans to lmao

Same.

Is there any reason not to do v6 at this point other than straight-up lazyiness?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Neito posted:

Same.

Is there any reason not to do v6 at this point other than straight-up lazyiness?

it's like, really hard man :saddowns:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Neito posted:

Same.

when my ISP was verizon they were in the process of upgrading everything to support it and had specific timelines published and everything. then they sold this region to frontier and frontier just cancelled all that entirely, i assume because it might cost them tens of dollars

FungiCap
Jul 23, 2007

Let's all just calm down and put on our thinking caps.

Neito posted:

Same.

Big numbers are scary.

brains
May 12, 2004

FungiCap posted:

Big numbers are scary.

when no one was looking, ipv6 took 128 bits. it took 128 bits. that's as many as four ipv4s. and that's terrible.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

brains posted:

when no one was looking, ipv6 took 128 bits. it took 128 bits. that's as many as four ipv4s. and that's terrible.
lmao

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

brains posted:

kermit_bale.gif

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
graphf_slur.png

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

brains posted:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Neito posted:

Same.

expensive network equipment costs are still being amortized and I guess cheap equipment isn't compatible with ipv6 yet

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

https://www.theregister.com/2022/10/18/russia_china_semiconductro_failure_rates/

*taps head*

Can't break into the network if the net don't work! Cybersecurity!

Bring back sneakernet

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

it would be wild if it turns out that the global supply of raspberry pi was actually being funneled to russia because it's loads more dependable than relying on iffy riscV solutions that still need kinks to work out.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

sb hermit posted:

expensive network equipment costs are still being amortized and I guess cheap equipment isn't compatible with ipv6 yet

no it just takes a lot of work to configure everything properly, and most people don't care at all because their internet works just fine behind CG-NAT

FungiCap
Jul 23, 2007

Let's all just calm down and put on our thinking caps.
The answer to ipv4 woes is always just another layer of NAT!

I'm legitimately wondering if we will ever see mass IPv6 adoption in our lifetimes and I'm not even that old.

Using a VM that NAT's through my host machine, which NAT's through my home router, which NAT's through my carrier level.

FungiCap fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FungiCap posted:

The answer to ipv4 woes is always just another layer of NAT!

I'm legitimately wondering if we will ever see mass IPv6 adoption in our lifetimes and I'm not even that old.

cellular radios basically all get ipv6 in the us now at least