Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

zoux posted:

So was old Valryia just dudes riding dragons all over the place? Taking a dragon two blocks to pick up a sandwich instead of walking? Because the Targaryens, who apparently weren't even that big time, have a fuckload of dragons.

Take it with a grain of salt but history basically says:
Valryia was a huge empire with many cities that later became the Free Cities you always hear being mentioned, and with trading posts that extended all the way to Dragonstone. The actual capitol, the "Freehold of Valryia", was a massive metropolis that was supposedly built over 14 active volcanoes and had a huge population. A part of the population were "Dragonlords" which were the families that exercised control of dragons. These families apparently competed with each other constantly, but unlike normal families that settle feuds with marriages, the Dragonlords never married outside the family because they need to keep their family magic pure. Dragons weren't the only wild thing about Valryia, though. Supposedly all kinds of magic was practiced using the power of the volcanoes (*cough* technology powered by geothermal energy), and some of this magic may have been what triggered the Doom and left the area cursed (radioactive) for the last couple of centuries.

stephenthinkpad posted:

If you subscribe to the idea that only Targs can bind to dragons and they are some kind of magical beings in this fantasy world, then you don't have to feel sorry about teenager targs getting swallowed by dragons. They are not normal teenagers anyway.

I mean, if you want to go down a fun rabbit hole. The Starks might not be entirely human either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Pentos used to be part of the Valyrian empire?

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

zoux posted:

Pentos used to be part of the Valyrian empire?

quote:

Pentos was founded by merchants, traders, seafarers, and farmers from the Valyrian Freehold as a trading outpost. Many were smallfolk who bred with local Andals, so the Pentoshi are less protective of Valyrian blood than other Free Cities.[3] There are some who claim Pentos existed before the colonization and that the original inhabitants decided to pay homage to the Freehold, citing Gessio Haratis's Before the Dragons as their source.[14]

Pentos grew to control almost all of Andalos, with domains stretching from the Velvet Hills and the Little Rhoyne to the narrow sea.
https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Pentos

The only Free City that was not Valyrian was Braavos, which was a hidden city founded by escaped slaves hiding from Valyria.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

LOL at the idea that you're going to walk to pick up a sandwich when you can fly there on a dragon.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I get on my dragon to fly down the driveway to pick up my mail. No I don't know why we call it the driveway.

sad question
May 30, 2020

Pattonesque posted:

Darkstar cut a kid's face up though, so he's one up on Aemond there

Wouldn't turning a kid into salsa beat that though?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Take it with a grain of salt but history basically says:
Valryia was a huge empire with many cities that later became the Free Cities you always hear being mentioned, and with trading posts that extended all the way to Dragonstone. The actual capitol, the "Freehold of Valryia", was a massive metropolis that was supposedly built over 14 active volcanoes and had a huge population. A part of the population were "Dragonlords" which were the families that exercised control of dragons. These families apparently competed with each other constantly, but unlike normal families that settle feuds with marriages, the Dragonlords never married outside the family because they need to keep their family magic pure. Dragons weren't the only wild thing about Valryia, though. Supposedly all kinds of magic was practiced using the power of the volcanoes (*cough* technology powered by geothermal energy), and some of this magic may have been what triggered the Doom and left the area cursed (radioactive) for the last couple of centuries.

I mean, if you want to go down a fun rabbit hole. The Starks might not be entirely human either.

The guy in Braavos who runs the Faceless Men tells Arya of their origins. They were slaves in Valyria who started feeding other slaves to the volcanos to give them the release they prayed for. Arya says they should have thrown the masters in the volcanos and they guy says something like "Oh yeah, we did that eventually, but it's best if we don't talk too much about that."

So one of the theories is that the Targs hired a Faceless Man to kill one of the mages keeping one of the volcanos at bay, and that caused a chain reaction in all the volcanos that was the Doom.

Valyria apparently knew of the Lannisters' wealth but never traded with them because there was a prophecy that Lannister gold would doom Valyria, so part of the theory is that the Targs borrowed Lannister money to hire the assassin because Faceless Men cost as much as armies.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Typo posted:

man I love Rhys Ifans as Otto Hightower, loved that the show lifted the lines about Aegon holding every symbol of legitimacy from F&B even tho it was just the maester's commentaries and not spoken by any character

if Ifans yelled at me about how legitimate Aegon is I'd prob bend the knee irl

It was kind of a "no poo poo" speech since they were all sitting on a table in the Red Keep and the kid didn't have permission, he just grabbed all the loot (figuratively, since it was Otto who physically grabbed it) and declared bankruptcy like a blonde Michael Scott. Succession doesn't work like calling shotgun for a car ride, which is what Otto reduced it to.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's said more than once that if Ned Stark had sat on the throne instead of Robert he'd've been king. Jaime Lannister was lounging on the throne when Ned walked into the room, the mad king dead at his feet, and Ned's first reaction was that Jaime was claiming kingship. The accoutrements matter, Otto is correct about that.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
WTF, Valyria sound like GURM is hiding a scifi twist.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

zoux posted:

I get on my dragon to fly down the driveway to pick up my mail. No I don't know why we call it the driveway.

You can drive animals though

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

stephenthinkpad posted:

I think it’s more fun if he just leaves these somewhat obvious hints about his world being the remains of a high-tech civilization like A Canticle for Leibowitz, but then never engages them or makes them relevant to the story. Asshai also pretty obviously sounds like a modern city that was hit by atomic bombs.

There are also hints at some kind of Lovecraft mythos with the oily black thrones that predate humanity and have some connection to things living deep underwater, but it’s probably just a wink.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

theflyingexecutive posted:

You can drive animals though

But we park on a the flyway...

I AM GRANDO posted:

I think it’s more fun if he just leaves these somewhat obvious hints about his world being the remains of a high-tech civilization like A Canticle for Leibowitz, but then never engages them or makes them relevant to the story. Asshai also pretty obviously sounds like a modern city that was hit by atomic bombs.

There are also hints at some kind of Lovecraft mythos with the oily black thrones that predate humanity and have some connection to things living deep underwater, but it’s probably just a wink.

Is this from the main series? I don't remember any of that - which doesn't mean it isn't in there I'm not the worlds closest reader.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Infinite Karma posted:

It was kind of a "no poo poo" speech since they were all sitting on a table in the Red Keep and the kid didn't have permission, he just grabbed all the loot (figuratively, since it was Otto who physically grabbed it) and declared bankruptcy like a blonde Michael Scott. Succession doesn't work like calling shotgun for a car ride, which is what Otto reduced it to.

Prior to his shotgun coronation, the population was kind of ambivalent about which silver-haired weirdo ruled them. The night market/brothel scene earlier in the season showed that misogyny isn't the exclusive province of the nobility, and now that a Septon has publicly anointed Aegon, most people would probably be fine with it. I'm not sure how important the sword/crown are, but validation by the religions authorities is probably a Big Deal.

It is wild they didn't have any dragons present though, Vhagar being on someone's "side" is probably worth an ocean of holy oil.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

zoux posted:

So was old Valryia just dudes riding dragons all over the place? Taking a dragon two blocks to pick up a sandwich instead of walking? Because the Targaryens, who apparently weren't even that big time, have a fuckload of dragons.

This is my own conjecture, but I assume old Valyria and its Freehold are analogous to classical Greece and/or the Roman Republic. The architecture of traditional Valyrian structures, like the Dragon Pit, are a big hint.

If so, the the Targs, who were Freehold gentry, would have been part of the equivalent aristocratic equestrian class. Rural landed lords that produce the knights, basically. Not impressive as kings and oligarchs, but with enough resources to raise, train, and equip war horses and their armored riders. That is incredibly resource intensive in the real world. Now imagine the same scenario but it’s dragons instead of horses. So “lesser house” is a relative term.

If Old Valyria was anything like our historical Athens or Rome, then it would have been the cultural, financial, and political center of their world. All the actual oligarchs and cultural leaders would have been vaporized when the Doom happened. So, it does make since that the “lesser houses” out in the Freehold are the survivors.

Now for gold fish bowl conjecture: maybe population density and resource allocation are what control dragon size. There’s only so much protein to go around. In my theory, you’d have all the freehold lords with their stables of dragons. The actual limit on territory a lord has limited their maximum dragon size because they could only raise so much protein so fast. So, the more power the lord, the more land you have, the more you can feed your personal WMD. All the super loving big dragons would have been owned by the oldest houses with ‘squadrons’ of smaller dragons from their vassals lords when needed.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

But we park on a the flyway...

Is this from the main series? I don't remember any of that - which doesn't mean it isn't in there I'm not the worlds closest reader.

Yeah the Greyjoy chapters mention the Cthulhu poo poo several times throughout the series.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I’d love for a show based in GoT’s world where it’s just archipelagoic kingdoms and their version of dragons is giant sea monsters.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

stephenthinkpad posted:

Richard K. Morgan’s “The Steel Remains” is very much this. I don’t want to spoil anything, but forewarned it is grimdark as gently caress if that matters to you.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Yeah it's been stated that the Doom is supposed to be their version of Atlantis mixed with the fall of Rome. On the one hand a dash of mysticism and advanced knowledge, on the other a very real empire whose dissolution was both total and also never really happened. Just like the Roman Empire didn't just blip out of existence, vast swaths of Valyria and it's empire just....kept on trucking. In reality most of what they knew in did is probably still known and done, but the mythology of lost Valyria is more impactful than the reality. The core died, but the outer limbs just....did their own thing. The "Not quite mainland Europe" of Essos has it's location as smack dab in "Not Italy", to really drive it home.

mweber
Dec 24, 2003

Mulva posted:

Yeah it's been stated that the Doom is supposed to be their version of Atlantis mixed with the fall of Rome. On the one hand a dash of mysticism and advanced knowledge, on the other a very real empire whose dissolution was both total and also never really happened. Just like the Roman Empire didn't just blip out of existence, vast swaths of Valyria and it's empire just....kept on trucking. In reality most of what they knew in did is probably still known and done, but the mythology of lost Valyria is more impactful than the reality. The core died, but the outer limbs just....did their own thing. The "Not quite mainland Europe" of Essos has it's location as smack dab in "Not Italy", to really drive it home.

Hopefully the Arya as Magellan series reaches the unknown shores of Valyrian refuge “Not Jersey”.

mweber fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Oct 28, 2022

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Baronash posted:

I think you're taking these lines far too literally. "When dragons flew to war, everything burned" is Rhaenyra's line from this episode, but it's meant to be taken just as much as a metaphor as a literal recounting of the past. Dragons caused great destruction when Aegon the Conqueror arrived, but they did it at the behest of the Targaryens that rode them. It's just a reframing of the concept of war being a destructive force, and Rhaenyra is looking for opportunities to avoid that.

I don't think anything we've seen suggests that dragons are completely uncontrollable, and we've seen plenty that suggests the opposite in both HOTD and GOT. I worked with horses for years, and every once in a while you'd be tossed on your rear end or end up in the middle of a fight between two pissed off animals that each weigh the better part of a ton, but we don't think of horses as uncontrollable.

Is that what she said? I thought it was something about dragons fighting each other.

I still don't know if I am reading to much into it when both riders explicitly stated that they had lost control of their dragons and there was a whole, season-long plot line about Dany losing control of her's...

Those horses never bolt with their riders and eat sheep/children for months at a time.
:shrug:

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Mulva posted:

We’re obviously both putting more thought into the campaign world than the Dungeon Master, did.

I’m listening to a ton of lectures and books on the Bronze Age Mediterranean and Mesopotamia, so my interpretation is colored by that. In my head, the Doom of Valyria and its aftermath are modeled on the Bronze Age Collapse and not the Fall of the Roman Empire.

The Bronze Collapse is the iconic “something so bad happened that we forgot how to read for 300 years and that’s why everything is now a legend that happened thousands of years ago”.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Well the Bronze age collapse was supposed to have caused by a series of climate change events. So if the Others are analog of climate change in the Asoiaf world, then the Others should also be the main cause of the collapse of Valyria.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Yeah the Greyjoy chapters mention the Cthulhu poo poo several times throughout the series.

Deep Ones vs dragons? I’m down

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

The show really did Euron dirty. He's loving horrifying in the books.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I AM GRANDO posted:

I don't have too strong an argument, but if you put together the little snippets we get about Asshai and then you imagine what a post nuclear-war-but-worse Korean peninsula would like...

I'm only saying what I'm saying but it paints a picture, you know?

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I've just finished the final episode. I was going to quit after the first and I'm now glad that I didn't.

I can't really add anything that hasn't already been said, but that final scene is just so perfect.

The subtle body language in what is basically silhouette says so much. The up-swell in the music, and the turn toward camera. Wonderful.

edit: are spoilers still required?

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

stephenthinkpad posted:

Well the Bronze age collapse was supposed to have caused by a series of climate change events. So if the Others are analog of climate change in the Asoiaf world, then the Others should also be the main cause of the collapse of Valyria.

Wait a minute! The Sea Peoples were also said to be part of the collapse. You don't think... The Others, they couldn't be...real...right?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

deoju posted:

The show really did Euron dirty. He's loving horrifying in the books.

I think the actor himself was disappointed how he was used in the show.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

bobjr posted:

I think the actor himself was disappointed how he was used in the show.

I kind of always expected him to start singing Linkin Park in a pirate voice.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
I am very sorry for starting a “what caused the Bronze Age Collapse and who the gently caress were the Sea Peoples, anyway?” discussion.

The Collapse was brought on by a bunch of disasters in a short period of time and the established empires were past their zenith and become ponderous. So, yes, there was climate change at the time. So, yes, there was a series of earthquakes in mainland Greece.

I think that the Sea Peoples were disenfranchised commoners who banded together in reaction to the massive wealth disparity inherent in oligarchies. The Bronze Age kingdoms were rich as gently caress, but that wealth was held completely by the ruling oligarchs and kings. Internal trade was basically elaborate gifts sent between kingdoms and it was all made by slave and serf labor.

So, even if the first push of the Sea Peoples may have been the Sardinians, but, they gained local fighters from every port and city they raided. It was a massive campaign, yes, but it was also an uprising against the ruling elite. The climate and earthquakes had already softened them up.What is my proof? Not a lot, but I will point out that Greece fell into a 3 century dark age because everybody who knew how to read got murdered. Back then, only the elite could read.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Another factor is no one knew about crop rotation so over time yields diminished in almost every society except for Egypt, who got annual floods to keep them going.

Also some of the Sea Peoples may have been from the collapse of whatever culture built Stonehenge and inhabited the Atlantic coast and Britain during the Bronze Age!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bronze_Age_Britain#Disruption_of_cultural_patterns

In any event, I am pretty sure GRRM has explicitly stated it is an Atlantis/Fall or Rome analogy. I don't think the evidence and theories behind the Bronze Age Collapse were widespread in the early 90s but everyone sure had a copy of The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire on their bookshelf.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

In any event, I am pretty sure GRRM has explicitly stated it is an Atlantis/Fall or Rome analogy. I don't think the evidence and theories behind the Bronze Age Collapse were widespread in the early 90s but everyone sure had a copy of The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire on their bookshelf.
These two theories can be unified by the Bronze Age Collapse of the Minoan civilization.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Marsupial Ape posted:

Richard K. Morgan’s “The Steel Remains” is very much this. I don’t want to spoil anything, but forewarned it is grimdark as gently caress if that matters to you.

And much better written.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

A Buttery Pastry posted:

These two theories can be unified by the Bronze Age Collapse of the Minoan civilization.

I don’t want to “well actually you”, but the Minoans’ sea empire got conquered by the main land Mycenaeans like years before the Bronze Age Collapse. The Minoans were indeed weakened by a series of earth quakes and a volcanic island to their north exploding and half the island got hit by tsunami.

Point being, the Minoan civilization was really loving old. They ruled the Aegean from 2000 BC to about 1550 BC, were the foundation for a lot of later Greek culture, and we don’t even know what they called themselves. The classic Greeks of 500 BC didn’t either and wondered about Mycenaean and Minoan ruins and artifacts in the same manner that we marvel and the ruins of their civilization, now. That blows my mind.

The lesson? GRRM makes his walls too tall, his continents too long, and his time way too goddam deep.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Torquemada posted:

And much better written.

The quality and quantity of third person perspective narration of graphic gay sex is better, at least.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

MLSM posted:

Deep Ones vs dragons? I’m down
There are three islands between the Vale and the North called the three sisters. People there (the "sistermen" ) sometime get webbed fingers that they call the "mark" and the population is considered degenerate by the local speton. They used to toss dwarves into the sea to their weird gods.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Marsupial Ape posted:

The quality and quantity of third person perspective narration of graphic gay sex is better, at least.

It’s a nice litmus test for prejudice too! I’m going to have to reread those again, so good.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

show mid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I still don't know if I am reading to much into it when both riders explicitly stated that they had lost control of their dragons and there was a whole, season-long plot line about Dany losing control of her's...

They lost control of their dragons because they are sentient fighter jets and Aemond tried to use his for schoolyard bullying. I don't know what to tell you, we've had tons of onscreen and implied moments of dragons obeying their riders, so they are clearly not uncontrollable. If you're moving goalposts to "sometimes they don't do exactly what the riders want," then... duh?