Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBCYvoC4muc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

LimaBiker posted:

Not sure if pen plotters are at all in use anymore. At a company where i worked in 2017ish they had big 'plotters' to print hardware store layouts on a0 or a1 sheets of paper. Those were essentially just very large inkjet printers specifically for line drawings, fed by rolls of paper.

Yeah, pen plotters are dead, everyone plots with inkjets now. Pen plotters live on as vinyl cutters.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

A few pages ago we were talking about character generators and teletext, so I thought I'd share this thing I think I found from YOSPOS somewhere?

https://edit.tf/

Basically an online chargen of the type that used to and may still run EBS/EAS type things.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I tried casting a halloween playlist to a speaker outside, but it kept cutting out. Instead, I hooked a discman up to a boombox and put in a spooky sfx disc. Way more reliable! The only downside was the discman is too old for a repeat function, so I had to start it over every hour.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

DC to Daylight posted:

Bonus obsolete tech. The house was built in the early 70's and had all the high tech poo poo for the day, like an intercom. It also had this near where the TV was supposed to go.

The top is just standard coax. The bottom used to connect to a box with a compass rose. Turn the knob on the box, and the large (~ 7 feet) antenna in the attic turns to match it. This actually worked great for aiming it towards the station of choice. The box is long gone, as is the antenna and the analog signals it was meant to receive.

Antennas are still great, they receive digital signals just the same as analog.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

yeah my last house had a jack like this:

It connected to an antenna hanging in the attic. I was able to hook my TV to it and get way better signal than the flat leaf antennas you can get at Walmart.

DC to Daylight
Feb 13, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

Very true.

wa27 posted:

yeah my last house had a jack like this:

It connected to an antenna hanging in the attic. I was able to hook my TV to it and get way better signal than the flat leaf antennas you can get at Walmart.

That is one crazy jack.

I wonder how the old box worked. Something like a servo would work in theory, but I think it would work poorly in practice. Also, I remember the knob had little detents when you rotated it, like it was semi-digital. I'm not sure how you'd do it cheaply with early 70's tech. The knob felt like the knob on an old washing machine, so maybe there were a bunch of microswitches wired in some clever way.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

DC to Daylight posted:

Very true.

That is one crazy jack.

I wonder how the old box worked. Something like a servo would work in theory, but I think it would work poorly in practice. Also, I remember the knob had little detents when you rotated it, like it was semi-digital. I'm not sure how you'd do it cheaply with early 70's tech. The knob felt like the knob on an old washing machine, so maybe there were a bunch of microswitches wired in some clever way.

Probably some sort of gray-coded rotary knob. Like the volume control in most car stereos. Or possibly something outwardly similar powering cam switches with the control motor only knowing "go up" or "go down" until the cam switch breaks the power to the motor. I am now intensely curious how they actually did this.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Yeah, pen plotters are dead, everyone plots with inkjets now. Pen plotters live on as vinyl cutters.

That being said, I'm an engineer and the market for hobbyist pen plotters is interesting because of all the different maker stuff that's big now and has the same mechanisms. I'm tempted to buy a small one because the look of plotted drawings is nice in its own way.

DC to Daylight
Feb 13, 2012

Explosionface posted:

Probably some sort of gray-coded rotary knob. Like the volume control in most car stereos. Or possibly something outwardly similar powering cam switches with the control motor only knowing "go up" or "go down" until the cam switch breaks the power to the motor. I am now intensely curious how they actually did this.

That's basically what I was thinking too, but I think the control was even dumber. I think (although I may be wrong) that it only turned in one direction. I'm trying to brainstorm the cheapest, shittiest way to do this. A bunch of relays, one for bit, OR-ed together and connected to the motor?

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

DC to Daylight posted:

Very true.

That is one crazy jack.

There's a potentiometer providing position feedback; seems to work well enough.
https://www.electronicdesign.com/technologies/analog/article/21807340/ham-antenna-rotator-the-teardown

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I have no idea how rotors worked back then (they do still sell them today FYI), but analog signals were a lot less finicky back then, so you could still get at good signal with low accuracy.

The thing about digital is it's you don't get that grey area, where you can get an ok signal and just put up with some graininess, digital has drop outs when the signal quality is too low.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

DC to Daylight posted:

That's basically what I was thinking too, but I think the control was even dumber. I think (although I may be wrong) that it only turned in one direction. I'm trying to brainstorm the cheapest, shittiest way to do this. A bunch of relays, one for bit, OR-ed together and connected to the motor?

A potentiometer on either end? You turn the knob, the motor turns the antenna which turns its own potentiometer until it roughly matches your setting?

E:f,b

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Iron Crowned posted:

The thing about digital is it's you don't get that grey area, where you can get an ok signal and just put up with some graininess, digital has drop outs when the signal quality is too low.

That's because digital broadcasts include error-correction codes in the bitstream. You *do* get signal loss, but provided the loss isn't enough to lose the error corrections then the original bitstream can be perfectly reconstructed on the receiving end.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

DC to Daylight posted:

Explosionface posted:

I would be pretty surprised if there was anything digital in it at all. Just use a rotary selector and a bunch of resistors to set varying resistances as you go around the circle. Then:

Zopotantor posted:

There's a potentiometer providing position feedback; seems to work well enough.
https://www.electronicdesign.com/technologies/analog/article/21807340/ham-antenna-rotator-the-teardown

If you've got a pot in the rotor itself, I can't imagine the circuit to say "turn the motor until the potentiometer in the rotor matches the resistance of the controller" is especially challenging. A few transistors, I'd think, although I haven't sat down and figured out how it would work.

DC to Daylight
Feb 13, 2012

So, I was able to find a video of the thing in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIB-J44nu8g

And here's a manual, with a hard to read schematic on page 2.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/966549/Alliance-U-100.html#manual

I'm still thinking about this. Some of the comments in the manual make me think it was more like a Stroger switch.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Same, but the prior owner was a proud Yautja so we let it slide and never touched it.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I have owned 2 antenna rotors (still got one)

They are essentially 2 syncronous AC motors. There is a 'set' pointer in the control box, and internally another sort-of pointer that appears to have a limit switch on it.

Turn the pointer from east to west, and you'll open or close the switch, the motor inside of the control box as well as the rotor will both spin synchronous to mains, and therefore rotate the antenna in sync with the internal, sometimes invisible pointer in the box.

There is no feedback in my old school rotors. If you noticed that the antenna and the control box weren't in sync anymore, you would rotate it first to 1 degree, and then to 359 degrees. The antenna rotor would just lock and buzz agains the end stop while the pointer in the control box kept going towards 1 or 359 degrees. After that, both are sync'd again.

There probably are more refined setups, but this was common tech in the 1960s.

After work i'll grab it and open it up. I have never actually opened it, this is just how i assume the simple buzzy ones work.

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

LimaBiker posted:

Not sure if pen plotters are at all in use anymore. At a company where i worked in 2017ish they had big 'plotters' to print hardware store layouts on a0 or a1 sheets of paper. Those were essentially just very large inkjet printers specifically for line drawings, fed by rolls of paper.

When I was a packaging designer over ten years ago, they had these special pen plotters that were fitted with knifes and "blunt pens" to cut and crease cardboard to make prototypes. You'd send your drawing to a computer connected to it, put the paper on its pegboard-like surface and turn the vacuum on to hold it down, and then you could plot out your design.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005
Our vinyl plotter still came with a pen holder. We still use it to make drill patterns for dimensional letters...when the big printer is busy.

30" wide plotters are pretty cheap on the used market as 54" & 60" wide models became more popular with sign shops to work with their matching wide format printers for print & cut production.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

This was fine for analog but with todays digital signals you’re gonna get too much loss

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

How does the signal move past that?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

it transmits braille

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
it's clearly a multi room spitball distribution unit

all those little straws running through the walls

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

It's often much harder on the type F coax connector than on the 300-ohm flat.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

I like to imagine that entire thing is just for one giant, hosed up connector.

The Wurst Poster
Apr 8, 2005

Literally the Wurst...

Seriously...

For REALSIES.

monolithburger posted:

I like to imagine that entire thing is just for one giant, hosed up connector.

V.35?

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
Trypophobics most hated connector.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Posted this is another thread but you guys know a lot more about this stuff

I need to track down some reasonably priced working tape players (u-matic, beta, etc) for a nonprofit. You folks have any suggestions on a source?

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Do you have to collect four emblems scattered in the other rooms of your house to access the space behind that plate?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Catzilla posted:

Do you have to collect four emblems scattered in the other rooms of your house to access the space behind that plate?

No, you just need to suffer a loss.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
So it's one of those cutscenes with inventory loss.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
these old connectors for old intermittent tech we've all but forgot about is cool as gently caress

folks are saying that those ancient 70s antenna pick up digital signals - are you sure about that? i had to pick up a new one

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Waifu Radia posted:

these old connectors for old intermittent tech we've all but forgot about is cool as gently caress

Yeah, that ROTOR antenna tuner mechanism is one of the coolest things I've seen in a while. The sounds it makes are very satisfying.

Unperson_47 has a new favorite as of 07:43 on Nov 4, 2022

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/Snack_Memories/status/1588498665072906240?s=20&t=3xfifLJ5fjg-iqey2_CKyA

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Be kind, rewind

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Unperson_47 posted:

Yeah, that ROTOR antenna tuner mechanism is one of the coolest things I've seen in a while. The sounds it makes are very satisfying.

Great, now I gotta watch R.O.T.O.R. again....

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

That movie is never obsolete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Waifu Radia posted:

folks are saying that those ancient 70s antenna pick up digital signals - are you sure about that? i had to pick up a new one

Analog vs digital tv, it's still a radio signal, the antenna will pick it up fine. Whether the cord coming off that antenna fits the DTV port on your new TV (I don't see many of the wirenut pigtail connectors on tvs anymore :v:), or you have to get a converter, or a DTV set top box to intermediate, that's kind of up in the air.