Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

RareAcumen posted:

People say gacha but they just want a mobile game of it in some form

It's this yeah. it isn't that i want a gacha, it's that i want the game, and i understand that a gacha is just something i would likely have to endure even in the fictional scenario i made up in my head where the mobile yakuza cabaret minigame game is real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Finally getting back to Y5 and goddamn does Saejima's town have specifically terrible navigation with all the invisible crosswalks. Just let me walk through traffic you nerds

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

Professor Beetus posted:

Okay yeah, it was a Suda joint then. I used to get them confused all the time because they both have names with S and a number.

Yagami's Guide to Dating: Take a girl out and absolutely crush her in darts repeatedly until she confesses her love for you.

It actually really bothers me that Yagami only has that tiny sofa to sleep on. There’s no room in that office for a sleeping mat or anything, or more non-disguise clothes for that matter. I don’t care what sort of shape you’re in, sleeping curled up on a two seater in your jeans and leather jacket every night - in your 40s! - is going to lead to some serious back and neck pain. And I mean, what’s his game plan, to live like that forever?? At least get a drat sofa bed! Then he asks the teen girl to stay over who says “but where would I sleep?” And he’s like “oh yeah, true” as if it only just occurred to him he doesn’t have a place with a bed, toilet or shower, and his spare clothes are a janitors outfit and a vampire costume.

Blamestorm fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 31, 2022

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
I would happily pay :10bux: for a full-featured/no gacha mobile version of Cabaret Club

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Blamestorm posted:

It actually really bothers me that Yagami only has that tiny sofa to sleep on. There’s no room in that office for a sleeping mat or anything, or more non-disguise clothes for that matter. I don’t care what sort of shape you’re in, sleeping curled up on a two seater in your jeans and leather jacket every night - in your 40s! - is going to lead to some serious back and neck pain. And I mean, what’s his game plan, to live like that forever?? At least get a drat sofa bed! Then he asks the teen girl to stay over who says “but where would I sleep?” And he’s like “oh yeah, true” as if it only just occurred to him he doesn’t have a place with a bed, toilet or shower, and his spare clothes are a janitors outfit and a vampire costume.

I was going to say "why do people keep calling women in their twenties teenagers" and then I remembered that Sama is supposed to be 19 and that she is also the only one he asks to stay the night iirc

What the gently caress yagami

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Professor Beetus posted:

I was going to say "why do people keep calling women in their twenties teenagers" and then I remembered that Sama is supposed to be 19 and that she is also the only one he asks to stay the night iirc

What the gently caress yagami

for some reason i remember two of them being under 20 but maybe one of them just looks young

but yeah it's a low point of the game, glad they didn't do that again for the sequel

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Just beat Chapter 11 of Yakuza 0. Nishitani may be the character with the highest coolness:screen time ratio in the entire franchise.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Ainsley McTree posted:

for some reason i remember two of them being under 20 but maybe one of them just looks young

but yeah it's a low point of the game, glad they didn't do that again for the sequel

One's 19, one's 20, the rest are mid 20s I think. Playing Lost Judgment right now and pretty sure there are 20 y/o girlfriends again, but at least nobody younger than that. Although if legal drinking age in Japan is 19 then I guess things are slightly different? Would have been nice to have more age appropriate options but given how chaste the romances are in these games it's kinda whatever. They're just made up digital characters anyway.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Make all romance options The Obatarian :colbert:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Make all romance options The Obatarian :colbert:

I liked that she remained one of my best hostesses right up through the end of the game

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ainsley McTree posted:

I liked that she remained one of my best hostesses right up through the end of the game

Drunk Salarymen really did just want somebody to talk to :shobon:

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Blamestorm posted:

I don’t care what sort of shape you’re in, sleeping curled up on a two seater in your jeans and leather jacket every night - in your 40s! - is going to lead to some serious back and neck pain.

Yagami is somehow 35 years old :lol:

I always like the detail of the little hanger above the sink where he definitely washes and dries his underwear

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

In my current 0 playthrough I’m up to Kiryu and Kuze’s last fight and man did the realization just hit that Kiryu bases his whole look off Kuze’s as a way to honor him

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

mutantIke posted:

Just beat Chapter 11 of Yakuza 0. Nishitani may be the character with the highest coolness:screen time ratio in the entire franchise.

Carlosologist posted:

In my current 0 playthrough I’m up to Kiryu and Kuze’s last fight and man did the realization just hit that Kiryu bases his whole look off Kuze’s as a way to honor him

In any other context I would say a prequel where the two main characters meet some dudes you've never heard of who each wind up inspiring the way the both main characters present themselves for the entire rest of the series is some eye-roll worthy, hamfisted bullshit, but not with those two. It's honestly so impressive how well everything came together with Y0, both in the game and in the real world.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Originally I didn’t get why Majima fought Lao Gui as his final boss, but it makes total sense when you consider that Lao Gui is literally just a disposable and controlled weapon. Majima’s his antithesis so of course it makes sense that they fight it out

RGG really can go balls out and tell a good and fun story

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Carlosologist posted:

Originally I didn’t get why Majima fought Lao Gui as his final boss, but it makes total sense when you consider that Lao Gui is literally just a disposable and controlled weapon. Majima’s his antithesis so of course it makes sense that they fight it out

RGG really can go balls out and tell a good and fun story

It's also so he can steal his haircut.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

ajkalan posted:

It's also so he can steal his haircut.

i don't know what you mean, he's just a normal looking man with a normal haircut and any rumors to the contrary are propaganda

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Goddamn Omi HQ in Like a Dragon is just kicking my rear end specifically Majima x4. And I’m sure there’s worse to come.

Did all floors of battle arena to level up to the early 40s. Bought a bunch of gear/etc. Wish I could carry more rocket launchers.

My core group is Kasuga, Nanba, Saeko, and Eri. Should I level up? Go back and give Romance Workshop a couple million yen to get better gear? Did I equip one of those cursed items RGG throws in the mix?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7156887893615611137

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Fly Ricky posted:

Goddamn Omi HQ in Like a Dragon is just kicking my rear end specifically Majima x4. And I’m sure there’s worse to come.

Did all floors of battle arena to level up to the early 40s. Bought a bunch of gear/etc. Wish I could carry more rocket launchers.

My core group is Kasuga, Nanba, Saeko, and Eri. Should I level up? Go back and give Romance Workshop a couple million yen to get better gear? Did I equip one of those cursed items RGG throws in the mix?

I'd say this is the biggest "wall" in the game. I was able to do it having run through the entire battle arena once (without using consumables like rocket launchers, are those good?), but generally speaking higher levels and better gear are the answer whenever there's a fight you can't do.

Here's what I'd say:

1. The enemies in this particular area are level 50, so go to the arena, and do every floor from 26 to the top over and over until everyone's that level.

2. Level everyone up a bit in every job, even the ones that you're not using in the fight that's giving you trouble. The stat bonuses they get in the other jobs count no matter what jobs they're currently using, and there are skills that are available no matter what job you're currently in that are extremely useful. The main ones I can remember are:

* Fulminating Forecast (Fortuneteller level 18, multi-target electricity damage)
* Megaton Throw (Foreman level 26, multi-target fire damage)
* Ice Spreader (Host level 10, multi-target ice damage)
* Peppermill Blow (Chef level 10, just a lot of damage)
* Ice Spreader (Hostess level 22, multi-target ice damage)
* Candle Rush (Ice Queen level 16, multi-target fire damage)
* Jinyi’s Bullet (Matriarch level 10, single-target gun)

3. Finish the business minigame as you get a very useful power for doing so.

4. Make sure your gear is good. This means the Romance Workshop and a lot of money, mostly.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Incredible write-up, much appreciated! I’ll head back to Injincho and wrap up some of those lose ends.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
I loved Y7, but I can't emphasize enough how good it feels to be back in Ijincho in Lost Judgment and finally being able to use those bikes and traffic cones as the gods intended.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Peppermill blow is insane, I ground so much pepper onto those lads in particular. Everyone is now a spicy meatball

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Oh, one other minor point - get good gear, but don't try and max out your gear with just the business minigame. That would require a ton of grinding and would make you hate your life. There are better ways to make money later on.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Gort posted:

(without using consumables like rocket launchers, are those good?)
Rocket launchers are amazing and you can carry so few for a reason. They do a poo poo ton of damage so you can greatly shorten the amount of time you spend in the hardest parts of the later boss fights.

It's particularly nice if you can give yourself enough breathing room to allow your lower-damage party members to use them. The one turn alpha strike becomes massive.

edit: They may actually fall off after Omi HQ as your party's regular damage keeps rising. I just remember them being incredibly useful in that particular boss fight.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Nov 1, 2022

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
When it came to the Yak 7 super bosses, I did the smart thing and got a bunch of mp recovery items and called down orbital lasers on them as much as possible. Those guys were absolute beasts.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

Fly Ricky posted:

That fight is such an insane difficulty spike. I breezed through everything up to that point and then got absolutely demolished.

The arena advice is good. I would just add equipping the bonus money from fights accessories and paying attention to the item drops from the fights on each floor as you'll likely have to do a couple loops of 5-10 specific floors to get the materials for the gear you want.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Gort posted:

I'd say this is the biggest "wall" in the game. I was able to do it having run through the entire battle arena once (without using consumables like rocket launchers, are those good?), but generally speaking higher levels and better gear are the answer whenever there's a fight you can't do.

Here's what I'd say:

1. The enemies in this particular area are level 50, so go to the arena, and do every floor from 26 to the top over and over until everyone's that level.

This seems a little unnecessary, I went through it once to gain some good levels/equipment but I certainly didn't grind it multiple times. Keys to success:

-the poison attack from Joon's base job
-the darts attack from Eri's dealer job
-Saeko as heal bot
-casting Ichiban's 'survive one hit kills' move every time he gets almost one hit killed
-casting that masochist guy summon that gives you insane damage resistance
-I don't know this for a fact but I think if you hold off killing off all the clones it stops the second boss from showing up sooner, so I left one alive and poured a bunch of damage into the original boss so by the time the second one was there the first was nearly dead

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Larry Cum Free posted:

That fight is such an insane difficulty spike. I breezed through everything up to that point and then got absolutely demolished.

Reassuring to know others have had the same experience and I’m not playing the game massively wrong.

Looked up what that orbital strike is and see it’s the reward from completing the management game. Nice; meant to finish it up but got caught up in the story progression at some point.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
It's utterly amazing and I never skipped the animation

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
I did it again recently on a second playthrough and demolished them while playing the whole game to date efficiently, so obviously I learned my lesson in my first play through (where it took me a few tries to get them). The keys I think were:

1) If you haven't finished the management minigame definitely do that first, although orbital strike (along with the fortune teller lightning ability, ideally on Nanba) is more useful for quickly clearing the arena so you can speed through in just a few minutes rather than helping that much in the boss fight.
2) Do the last five floors of the arena for 2-3 other jobs per team member, the stat bumps make a massive difference. Get fortune teller on as many of the guys as possible in particular for both the res and the lightning damage. This really doesn't take long. Good ones to level for the stat boosts are breaker on Ichiban, Fortune teller and Host on Nanban (then he has all the elemental damage - but stick with homeless guy as his main class to see point 3 below), bodyguard on Joon, both dealer and her default class on Eri ).
3) The key to almost all the other hard fights is to keep up buffs on your guys and debuffs on the enemy. Nanba's homeless guy class at a high level has a move which debuffs attack and defence on all bad guys, its great. I also sometimes used Musician on Adachi and Ichiban also has a good attack buff if you've bumped the right social stats. Joon's poison and bleed are both really good but have trouble sticking to the bosses i think.
4) Both the two bosses there have an elemental weakness, I can't remember offhand but it makes a huge difference if you target it consistently for each one, especially with Namba who once levelled with elemental stuff (even better if he has elemental+ gear) can do a shitload of damage. If you focus fire one of the bosses at a time with their elemental weakeness (either items, or preferably using cross-class attacks from everyone) they go down pretty fast, especially if you've buffed your team /debuffed them.

This second time I played I really did breeze through without my team being that high a level or doing some of the grinding I did the first time, probably because I did just quickly level up some key subclasses for the stats and some key abilities through the arena (using the orbital blast and lightning from both Nanba/Ichiban and just refreshing mana with food) , the other part was having all the substories done to date which levels up Ichiban's social stats and some of his buff/debuff/heal abilities. Can't emphasise enough how the buff/debuff stuff makes a huge difference for the big fights.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
IIRC one of the most annoying things about LAD's combat system is that some debuff moves can miss and some can't with no way to distinguish between the two outside of experimentation, and if they can miss they almost always do against bosses who outlevel you (which is all the hard ones.) They should just make them all always hit in 8.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

LAD’s combat system was just good enough to be fun without being overly frustrating. Obviously it needs some refinement but the bones of a good system are there

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Y5's snowball fight minigame is so dumb, I can't believe they basically created an FPS for that

I love how many bizarre and fairly refined systems they packed into this game that they just never touched again

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Wolfsheim posted:

Y5's snowball fight minigame is so dumb, I can't believe they basically created an FPS for that

I love how many bizarre and fairly refined systems they packed into this game that they just never touched again

To be fair they already made multiple shooters between Dead Souls, Binary Domain, and Saejima’s Big Game Hunter, they probably just reused stuff from those to cobble it together.

Not to say there wasn’t an absurd amount of effort put into Y5 on stuff that I don’t think ever gets reused besides I think baseball working like it does now starting with Y5, because yeah, it’s just an absurdly chunky game.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!

Professor Beetus posted:

It's utterly amazing and I never skipped the animation

I always finished a sub story fight with Essence of
Mayhem Tag Team. Especially when it's against someone who was a nice guy but misunderstood the situation, like the pawn shop hoarder dude.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

Blamestorm posted:

3) The key to almost all the other hard fights is to keep up buffs on your guys and debuffs on the enemy. Nanba's homeless guy class at a high level has a move which debuffs attack and defence on all bad guys, its great. I also sometimes used Musician on Adachi and Ichiban also has a good attack buff if you've bumped the right social stats. Joon's poison and bleed are both really good but have trouble sticking to the bosses i think.

I don't remember if it was helpful for this fight, but poison is a godsend in the Kiryu fight.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
I know it's a long way away for me, but how are the PC ports of the PS3 games? I've heard they're pretty good, but the last PS3-to-PC port I bought was Deadly Premonition so I'm a little cautious lmao

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

mutantIke posted:

I know it's a long way away for me, but how are the PC ports of the PS3 games? I've heard they're pretty good, but the last PS3-to-PC port I bought was Deadly Premonition so I'm a little cautious lmao

I played 3-5 all on PC and didn't notice any issues. Only thing I can think of was that the fishing minigame in 3 required such tight timing that it was basically impossible, which I think might have been a port issue, but I played it at launch, maybe that's fixed by now. But honestly even if it hasn't been, it's not a real problem, there's better fishing games out there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

They aren’t raw ports of PS3 games to PC, they’re remasters.

3 still shows it’s age a lot and would probably have benefited from the Kiwami treatment, but 4 and 5 aren’t a whole lot different to 0.