Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Mister Bates posted:

Every other GP and a few other states have either African colonies or African protectorate states, with the strangest outlier being Oman, who have colonized some territory around modern-day Tanzania.

There have been two major great power wars, one between Russia and Austria that ended in a white peace and one between the UK and France that also ended in a white peace. Both wars were contested almost exclusively in their colonial holdings and I didn't notice much fighting in Europe itself. There's critical shortages of military goods in every market I've checked and the AI nations are mostly not maintaining substantial navies or large standing armies; my 35-strong Haitian navy puts me ahead of three of the GPs at sea, and as the number one producer of warships in the world I get first dibs on boats to supply them.

I was surprised myself to learn that this is historical and in place at the start of the game - apparently Oman had a fledgling maritime empire and overseas colonies that ended up getting steadily subsumed by British influence and expansionism. First major thing about history Victoria 3 taught me that I didn't already know. I'll also add that they're a bugger to dislodge from Zanzibar with 1860s tech.

Also, I haven't looked too closely at the situation of military goods in my game but Austria was actually the leading producing of armaments over myself, and while nobody came remotely close to matching my own navy the great powers mostly had fairly respectable fleets that easily dwarfed your 35 strong navy. Did you play with the tutorial enabled, by any chance? Apparently doing so automatically reduces AI aggression - I played with the tutorial myself, but manually kicked AI difficulty and aggression up to "medium" levels. If the world's not doing much pushback it might be worth kicking that up further like the one guy suggested earlier - I might do that for my next game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Tomn posted:

While this is true for the broader economy, it's worth remembering that an individual pop's SOL depends on their wages which in turn depends on the productivity of the factory. A strong, healthy economy and cheap goods doesn't matter as much if you're getting paid pennies to begin with. Deliberately taking a loss of profit on individual buildings means deliberately impoverishing the pops who work there - though it is very on brand and capitalist to consider this an acceptable loss in return for making GDP go bigger.

Sure, the people working at your logging camps will be paid less, and their SoL will go down. The people working at your shipyards, tool workshops, furniture manufacturies, paper mills, power plants, and possibly glassworks and railways will be paid more, and their SoL will go up. This will generally be more significant than whatever lowering of profits you're accepting at the logging camp.

Getting the overall efficiency increases working for your economy is a big deal for making more money per unit of labor, and unless there's a very large mismatch -- oil being ruinously expensive and possibly even in shortage often makes assembly lines rough -- they are generally worth going for even if some individual building types in the chain suffer slightly.

Also yes this is absolutely capitalist hellscape stuff, but that's sort of the game.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Xerophyte posted:

Also yes this is absolutely capitalist hellscape stuff, but that's sort of the game.

Oh yeah, I'm not critiquing the choice which is a good one (and I ended up industrializing everything myself), just noting some of the knock-on consequences.

Magil Zeal posted:

Seems like a strategy worth pursuing for certain economic models, but Laissez-Faire cannot subsidize anything except infrastructure and trade centers.

I'm not really sure how worth it Laissez-Faire is, but I have been constructing everything basically for free all game at least. With that said my investment pool is super bloated and I probably don't need that extra +25%.

It does feel like the point of laissez-faire is basically supercharging your economy's ability to grow, which is good when you really DO need to grow as hard as possible but maybe starts getting a bit much in terms of micro eventually when you desperately need to add ever more factories to feed the hunger of your investment pool and construction industries and you're starting to run into labor shortages bottlenecking you instead of construction capacity. Hard to see how to get off the train, though, weaning yourself off the capitalist cornucopia would likely make your construction sectors that had developed in response unsustainable, and downgrading them through PMs or downsizing would have knock-on effects all down the economy.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Tomn posted:

I was surprised myself to learn that this is historical and in place at the start of the game - apparently Oman had a fledgling maritime empire and overseas colonies that ended up getting steadily subsumed by British influence and expansionism. First major thing about history Victoria 3 taught me that I didn't already know. I'll also add that they're a bugger to dislodge from Zanzibar with 1860s tech.

Also, I haven't looked too closely at the situation of military goods in my game but Austria was actually the leading producing of armaments over myself, and while nobody came remotely close to matching my own navy the great powers mostly had fairly respectable fleets that easily dwarfed your 35 strong navy. Did you play with the tutorial enabled, by any chance? Apparently doing so automatically reduces AI aggression - I played with the tutorial myself, but manually kicked AI difficulty and aggression up to "medium" levels. If the world's not doing much pushback it might be worth kicking that up further like the one guy suggested earlier - I might do that for my next game.

I did tick the difficulties up to normal on my first playthrough and honestly his world state sounds almost the same as mine; slavery still intact in USA w/no civil war (also Spain), Austria stable and the solid #3/4 GP with myself (Brazil), Egypt sitting on Constantinople and most of the Levant, most of the African/SE Asia nations independent. Germany never formed in this game, the NGF hasn't been able to take holstein from Scandinavia. My navy of ~50 flotillas is bigger than basically everyone but Britain and France

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Funnily, I've seen the opposite problem --- in the stability direction, not the AI performance one --- France having Occitan split out, England losing its empire and half of GDP, etc.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
I didn't realize native uprisings give infamy equal to an offensive diplomatic play to conquer the province. I'm going to be a pariah for the rest of the game at this rate. Thankfully Austria and the NGF are embroiled in civil wars, so my France is mostly safe for now.

RED TEXT BIG GUN
Sep 1, 2001

Taco Defender

Screenshot is 1925. Austria Hungary is 4x the coal production of the #2 producer France. I'm playing as Greece in a long term customs union with France. Half of the custom union's coal is imported from Austria Hungary. France embargoes AH and massively spikes coal prices. All my Greek shopkeepers start jumping out of the newly built skyscraper's windows. France drops the embargo just to re-embargo a bit later. Roller coaster up and down for a year or two as this keeps happening until France has a civil war and I peace out after Greek GDP gets cut in half. What a ride.

Will come back when AI issues are addressed. Or, hell, when the game doesn't slow down to as much of a crawl in the last 50 or so years.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

How are the French pushing the attack :argh: Just die already.

They're losing massively more money than I am, and taking little bites of territory that aren't important to my economy. As long as they don't land troops somewhere, I wonder if I can research some attachments like machine guns or flamethrowers, rotate out a general for long enough to attach those and let the debuff expire.

Alternatively, I could be humane and peace out. They only want reparations...

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

:getin:

game keeps crashing tho. maybe because its breaking at the seams as i consume the resources of the entire world in a mad attempt to achieve Egalitarian Victory which demands that less than ten percent of China is peasants which is uhhhhhhhh a little optimistic

seriously there are not enough trees on this world for me.

also gently caress austria for getting a liberal revolt that cut off all access to its country. resolve it already so i can break you into a million piecesss

e: i have wargoals to liberate their puppets but i cant achieve that since the puppets are not at war with me, lmao

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 1, 2022

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Tomn posted:

Oman stuff

Oman managed to not only chase the Portuguese out of Arabia but also chased them out of the gulf and across the sea to zanzibar. They then attempted to set up spice plantations with a focus on cloves but that didn't really work out.
Is there an event to split them as happened historically?

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Seriously. I feel like there should be some damping or sticking mechanism to help prevent rubberbanding over and under thresholds like this as approval/radicals/clout/whatever causes this changes slightly.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Lawman 0 posted:

Oman managed to not only chase the Portuguese out of Arabia but also chased them out of the gulf and across the sea to zanzibar. They then attempted to set up spice plantations with a focus on cloves but that didn't really work out.
Is there an event to split them as happened historically?

Yes actually, Oman starts with it as a journal entry.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Arrath posted:

Seriously. I feel like there should be some damping or sticking mechanism to help prevent rubberbanding over and under thresholds like this as approval/radicals/clout/whatever causes this changes slightly.
A simple hysteresis controller would do it.

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!

Arrath posted:

Right after I made that post I realized you could probably pretty easily just make it so that having a positive trait active gives +1 happiness and smooth it out a lot, I've gotta go to work but I'll try and throw together a mod doing that when I get home

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
going communist as china was actually... a mistake. the sheer amount of dividends being put into the investment fund was enough to fund all of my construction. truly i live in terror now of john galt.

e: whats really wrecking my econ is the eight million im sinking into welfare. i should probably figure out where that is all going.
e2: its going to the capitalists

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Tiler Kiwi posted:

going communist as china was actually... a mistake. the sheer amount of dividends being put into the investment fund was enough to fund all of my construction. truly i live in terror now of john galt.

I didn't have the micro energy to spend my investment fund income for the last couple decades of the game as Scandinavia ... and your China is at 2x the GDP I had in 1914.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
im literally just slamming down 1000 farms at a time, i dont even care what people want anymore

e: exporting telephones to every single nation on the planet because i have 100000 convoys that need to do something so they stop eating welfare

e2: things are breaking a little bit, just 16 years left i can do this

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 1, 2022

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Mister Bates posted:

there's still several Italian and German microstates independent even though both Italy and Germany have existed for decades.

that would be because forming italy doesn't actually give you claims on italy, the same might be true of germany as well idk

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

I was losing an insane amount of money and turns out I had subsidized my urban center which was costing me 93k a week … so I’m no longer subsidizing it. Crazy.

Stockholm is the engine capital of the universe!

How do they get Finland in to the fold if they’re still a part of Russia? I don’t see anything about releasing Finland in the diplomatic interactions I can do with Russia

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

mst4k posted:

How do they get Finland in to the fold if they’re still a part of Russia? I don’t see anything about releasing Finland in the diplomatic interactions I can do with Russia

I believe you have to transfer vassal targeting Finland. Which means I think you need at least neutral relations with Finland. It's a bit odd.

I'm not sure if transfer vassal actually works on a personal union though, in my game it just liberated Finland. So you might be better off doing that and will probably have to fight them, unless there's some event that I missed.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
It is quite infuriating that due to the massive immigration I am getting that I can't pull people out of subsistence farming and that I have 20 million unemployed people.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Tiler Kiwi posted:

e: whats really wrecking my econ is the eight million im sinking into welfare. i should probably figure out where that is all going.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

im literally just slamming down 1000 farms at a time, i dont even care what people want anymore

this game owns lol

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

I think you can make a diplo play against Russia to release Finland.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Sounds like a skit from a Mel Brooks movie

"Occupation?"
"I'm a venture capitalist."
"What?"
"A venture capitalist, I upset existing paradigms by investing into promising entrepreneurs who need liquidity to see their enterprises take off. I'm a jobs creator."
"Oh! A parasite! Did you exploit anyone last week?"
"No."
"Did you try to exploit anyone last week?"
"Yes."
"Well this is your last week of unemployment. You're going to have to get a job."

Dayton Sports Bar
Oct 31, 2019

Xerophyte posted:

I didn't have the micro energy to spend my investment fund income for the last couple decades of the game as Scandinavia ... and your China is at 2x the GDP I had in 1914.

Either the improved AI or improved automation mod adds an autobuild option, and it’s a godsend. It taught me that: A) I could afford about 4 times the amount of construction I was doing, and B) I could not feasibly handle the amount of micromanagement it takes to manually build that much constantly.

Schnitzler
Jul 28, 2006
Toilet Rascal

Tomn posted:

Oh yeah, I'm not critiquing the choice which is a good one (and I ended up industrializing everything myself), just noting some of the knock-on consequences.

It does feel like the point of laissez-faire is basically supercharging your economy's ability to grow, which is good when you really DO need to grow as hard as possible but maybe starts getting a bit much in terms of micro eventually when you desperately need to add ever more factories to feed the hunger of your investment pool and construction industries and you're starting to run into labor shortages bottlenecking you instead of construction capacity. Hard to see how to get off the train, though, weaning yourself off the capitalist cornucopia would likely make your construction sectors that had developed in response unsustainable, and downgrading them through PMs or downsizing would have knock-on effects all down the economy.

I really enjoy how you need to switch gears like that during the game. Starting as a poor country, you switch to laissez-faire and free trade. Then you pick a luxury good to produce, import all the input goods for cheap and go to town producing it. Improving the standard of living of your pops is detrimental at this point, you want them to live in squalor so 1) wages remain low 2) there is no demand for the luxury good you're producing in your market, so it is dirt cheap. And then you ride that wave of massive, massive export profits, pushing them even higher by switching production methods that employ machinists instead of laborers.

But now profits start to slow down as wages start to rise, and the rising wages drive up standard of living. So internal demand for your export goods starts to rise as well, pushing the price up and making exports less profitable. It also makes trade unions more powerful, which further increases the calls for welfare laws already demanded by the industrialists. Once welfare laws pass you start running into money problems if your standard of living is too low, so your goal starts to shift from maximizing export profits to maximizing employment. Which is when you switch to protectionism and interventionism and start to build out the production chains for goods you imported up until this point, where possible. And once that's done, the value of the investment pool might start to look a bit anemic, so maybe it would be a good idea to do something about all those capitalists employed throughout your country...

I really love the way this stuff plays out in the game. Or how that process sometimes has hiccups you have to handle. Like when you build a massive clothing mill that feeds all its luxury clothes into the Qing market. Then suddenly your weekly income turns deep red and you get the notification that your export trade route is inactive. Why? Because the Qing finally decided to switch their own texture mills towards luxury production, so now you have to look for a new market to dump your stuff into before your whole economy goes up in flames.

Doing that yourself is even more fun. Building up your own tool production after importing an ever increasing amount of tools over the years from the US. You need time to build up enough tool factories to cover the amount provided by the massive import trade route, and you cannot slowly build it because free trade means no tariffs to make your fledgling production competitive. So you create export routes to keep prices up enough that you can slowly increase your own production until it is at a level where you can safely kill the import route. Very satisfying to watch the US GDP visibly dip when you do.

The game might have some issues, but for me it is the most fun of all the Paradox games I've played so far, starting at Crusader Kings 2.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Schnitzler posted:

I really enjoy how you need to switch gears like that during the game. Starting as a poor country, you switch to laissez-faire and free trade. Then you pick a luxury good to produce snip.

I really like how there are different approaches. Instead of targeting a luxury good to become an export powerhouse, I used LF and Capitalist investment to internalize all basic goods production in a feedback loop that raised SOL and GDP as well as encouraging migration to fuel my employment needs, meanwhile all my convoys went to importing grain so I wouldn't build too big a population of landowners wanting to stymie any progressive societal movements. I went through a similar snowball effect and am now a powerhouse and global production leader in a number of advanced goods.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i am starting Operation Feed The World
its where i build 2.8k wheat farms while puppeting every nation on the planet so they have access to piles of grain
the game lagged for around ten minutes to register all the spam clicking i did to build those

its still 1921

e: it turns out the game does not like you doing this, its around 25 seconds for a week to pass

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Arrath posted:

I really like how there are different approaches. Instead of targeting a luxury good to become an export powerhouse, I used LF and Capitalist investment to internalize all basic goods production in a feedback loop that raised SOL and GDP as well as encouraging migration to fuel my employment needs, meanwhile all my convoys went to importing grain so I wouldn't build too big a population of landowners wanting to stymie any progressive societal movements. I went through a similar snowball effect and am now a powerhouse and global production leader in a number of advanced goods.

A lot depends on whether you're in your own market or not. If you are in a market for a major you are not gonna get anywhere producing basic consumer goods since the metropole will just buy them all up, while luxury stuff can at least help make the craftsmen a living.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

uh

e: stemlords run this country
e2: whatever political party they join drops to zero clout lmao

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

OddObserver posted:

A lot depends on whether you're in your own market or not. If you are in a market for a major you are not gonna get anywhere producing basic consumer goods since the metropole will just buy them all up, while luxury stuff can at least help make the craftsmen a living.

Fair. I started isolated in my own market but with the ability to trade with a few of the GPs, so I was free to develop my own internal economy without issue.

...other than hamstringing my domestic steel mills because I set an import route from GB in a bit of a shortage, and forgot about it until half of my steel demand was imported.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Tiler Kiwi posted:

uh

e: stemlords run this country
e2: whatever political party they join drops to zero clout lmao

yeah there's a really stupid stack overflow problem with political clout. I had my trade unionists constantly going between 60% clout and 0% clout due to them suddenly having negative billions or trillion of wealth. Under council republic your working class can become so rich they break the game's political power calculations.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Demon_Corsair posted:

That army numbers bug is just game breaking. Want to beat up a small nation? Nah, you are going to fight them on even terms. Sure you may eventually grind them to dust, but you are going to lose every battle.

Need to do a naval landing? Hahaha get hosed you are going to 1v1 duel them at a huge penalty.

I guess you just need overwhelming tech superiority so you can beat the defense advantage without numbers? I'm in the 1860s so it's not a trench warfare situation

I was doing some stuff as Persia, and getting the first round of tech upgrades for armies and artillery was necessary for making wars against weak neighbors less random. They still took twice as long as they should have, but it was noticeable.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Tiler Kiwi posted:

e: it turns out the game does not like you doing this, its around 25 seconds for a week to pass

i thought would need to upgrade my computer with a new gpu for 2023 games... when it might be to remove the CPU bottlenecking Paradox endgames lol

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

yeah there's a really stupid stack overflow problem with political clout. I had my trade unionists constantly going between 60% clout and 0% clout due to them suddenly having negative billions or trillion of wealth. Under council republic your working class can become so rich they break the game's political power calculations.

they became too class conscious. they have transcended to an as yet unfathomed of level of communism.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

Oddly enough, this happened for me, but the party they were in still had 100% legitimacy in government for whatever reason. Even if the party won 0% of the vote.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

i thought would need to upgrade my computer with a new gpu for 2023 games... when it might be to remove the CPU bottlenecking Paradox endgames lol

dont bother trying its completely impossible

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Aside, after finishing a game as Sardinia->Italy, I started one up as Lanfang and they're honestly kind of fascinating. They're tiny and have gently caress-all for population, but they have a number of powerful advantages:

- They have a lot of very good laws already passed or just about ready to pass, with the power of the landlords pre-broken and yourself free to aim anywhere you please.

- They begin as a tributary of the Qing, which does mean you pay out a percentage of your income as tribute but which more importantly means you have access to the fuckhuge market of China.

- They're actually lead by the Hakka, which shares enough cultural traits with Han Chinese (not to mention China's own Hakka population) that if you allow migration you can get a steady stream of Chinese immigrants from the customs union with Qing to make up for your lack of population, as long as you can improve your SOL enough to make it attractive.

- They start with access to a gold field that they can use to boost up SOL early, what a coincidence.

Combine all this with aggression against the microstates of Indonesia and colonization of the Celebes and you can form the basis of a thriving, advanced multicultural republic in Indonesia as long as you can keep the Dutch off your back. It's still somewhat slow going at first because from an objective perspective you're still dirt poor and have trouble affording things like construction sectors or government administration, but there's a lot of a potential still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Beating back the Dutch as Lanfang is easier than you'd expect if you take the time to aggressively micro your troops, even with a tech/numbers disadvantage. The terrain you do most of your fighting on lends itself to front splitting which makes it easy to carve up the AI.