Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Inspirations I see so far:
Squid Game
Good Times (film)
The Great Escape (film)
1970s American Paranoia thriller films
Game of Thrones [like, the high status double-crossing dinner table poo poo]

And I LIKE IT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

CeeJee posted:

Funny to see new Chernobyl actors appear every episode, the doctor at the end was Fomin, the little 'it was Dyatlov!' managment weasel.

I almost didn't recognise Fomin without his jam jar specs, that's what, 4 Chernobyl bods now? Tragic that Paul Ritter is gone, he'd have been great in this too, either as another Imperial weasel or comic relief.

Anyway, another great episode that just leaves you wanting it to be Tuesday night again. Though it's probably going to take a week for me to uncringe fully from Syril's printer carrying moment - way to go, making me feel bad for the irredeemable Space Nazi, buddy. Also, I dug the AHN homage/shot steal.

RIP Moxie but eh, you lasted longer than you did against Batman.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Anyone feel Dedra is gonna succumb to the rest of ISB's in-fighting and get ride of her assistant, crab's in a bucket-style? Twice this episode he surprised her by volunteered things without her orders. Is Syril due for another "promotion"?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
i mean he'd basically just be her assistant but humping her leg constantly

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The ginger ISB officer is a rebel plant right?

He's the only one with facial hair, he spoke a lot today during the meeting about the captured pilot and he's a reasonably well known actor for a nothing role.

My guess would be that the rebel pilot is also a plant, a distraction so the Imps are looking the wrong way when something big goes down.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I'm trying to understand the nature of the prison fuckup from the last scene.

They're "releasing" people who serve out their sentence back into other pods/floors/units. Okay, that's suitably Kafkaesque, but they fried a whole floor when they hosed it up and they found out... I don't see how that can even work at all as a "secret" in the first place when your prisoners are more or less unsupervised and at liberty to speak freely. The second the first shift of your renewed sentence is over, if not the second you get to your table "Oh, yeah, I served the three years I was sentenced to on another floor, then they popped me right back in here; it's all a sham."

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Sentinel Red posted:

RIP Moxie but eh, you lasted longer than you did against Batman.

THAT'S where I recognize him from, haha.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

Lampsacus posted:

Squid Game
Good Times (film)
The Great Escape (film)

And I LIKE IT

Les Misérables to a degree - Cassian as Valjean, the apathetic petty criminal that finds purpose in a revolution, and Syril as Javert, the justice ideologist hunting Valjean across time and distance.

Dedra is someone who has thrived in a structure that encourages infighting, intrigue, and no mercy. I doubt she really cares about the result of the work - its just the way for her to climb up and get to a position of safety - the top. Syril doesn't give a poo poo about that - he truly or at least acts like he believes in justice more than anything - he rattled her enough that she's going to slip up and get usurped by her number 2 that was waiting in her office

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
probably THX

i've actually not seen it weirdly enough

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Owlbear Camus posted:

They're "releasing" people who serve out their sentence back into other pods/floors/units. Okay, that's suitably Kafkaesque, but they fried a whole floor when they hosed it up and they found out... I don't see how that can even work at all as a "secret" in the first place when your prisoners are more or less unsupervised and at liberty to speak freely. The second the first shift of your renewed sentence is over, if not the second you get to your table "Oh, yeah, I served the three years I was sentenced to on another floor, then they popped me right back in here; it's all a sham."

I feel like the prison's been putting the scare into them to make sure they don't spill the beans (probably including threatening them with what they ended up doing/warning them what the consequences would be), and they finally struck out and it bit the prison in the rear end.

This is definitely some delicious "Empire is way more evil than it has to be" stuff too. There's literally no practical reason they have to do what they're doing, but some Imperial rear end in a top hat decided to be full evil and now they're going to reap the consequences. It's also a nice metaphor for how the rebellion needs the Empire to show how evil it is more blatantly in order to inspire a proper uprising. If the prison had kept doing things like it presumably had been previously then it's that "slow burn of evil" and people would go along with it, but now they're going full burn and that's going to start causing all sorts of problems for the Empire.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Alan Smithee posted:

probably THX

i've actually not seen it weirdly enough

I was surprised when I finally saw it and realised George Lucas had gone back to it at some point to add crappy looking CGI monsters.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

NowonSA posted:

I feel like the prison's been putting the scare into them to make sure they don't spill the beans (probably including threatening them with what they ended up doing/warning them what the consequences would be), and they finally struck out and it bit the prison in the rear end.

I suppose given his behavior and utterances Melchi could very well be a "recycle-ee."

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Owlbear Camus posted:

Good point.

The scene with Andor being checked in last week left me the impression that even the "guards" are just leveled up prisoners. So maybe with the increased PORD sentencing, there was no more room for this guy at the next level so they just "whelped!" him back down not understanding how that would reveal the game beyond even the few who already understood it to be a sham like Melchi.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

NowonSA posted:

This is definitely some delicious "Empire is way more evil than it has to be" stuff too. There's literally no practical reason they have to do what they're doing, but some Imperial rear end in a top hat decided to be full evil and now they're going to reap the consequences. It's also a nice metaphor for how the rebellion needs the Empire to show how evil it is more blatantly in order to inspire a proper uprising. If the prison had kept doing things like it presumably had been previously then it's that "slow burn of evil" and people would go along with it, but now they're going full burn and that's going to start causing all sorts of problems for the Empire.

There is a story somewhere of how it got that bad since the days of the Republic - like what - 18 years before or whatever? How did the Empire grow so fast with such lovely people - were they always in the bureaucracy?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I'm saying this every week - but Andor's just so loving good.

Lampsacus posted:

Squid Game
Good Times (film)
The Great Escape (film)

And I LIKE IT

And every British cold war drama and spy show from the 50s, 60s and 70s.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

PriorMarcus posted:

The ginger ISB officer is a rebel plant right?

He's the only one with facial hair, he spoke a lot today during the meeting about the captured pilot and he's a reasonably well known actor for a nothing role.

My guess would be that the rebel pilot is also a plant, a distraction so the Imps are looking the wrong way when something big goes down.

Yeah, didn't last week's meeting with Saw in the caves set up that the attack on the power plant wasn't going to happen?

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
The captured rebel pilot is Luthen

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Cheesus posted:

Good point.

The scene with Andor being checked in last week left me the impression that even the "guards" are just leveled up prisoners. So maybe with the increased PORD sentencing, there was no more room for this guy at the next level so they just "whelped!" him back down not understanding how that would reveal the game beyond even the few who already understood it to be a sham like Melchi.

My understanding was that they hosed up by putting the prisoner back into the same prison on a different floor rather than into one of the other prisons on the ocean. They probably have a few for new inmates and a few for second and third go arounds.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Andor did mention that it was funny how there was always a new guy ready to come in the day after someone left or died.

So, yeah, the big question is how the guards kept it all quiet this long.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Andor came out and said the part I was wondering about, whether literally true or just in the Empire's accounting.

"We're cheaper than droids."

:smith:

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe
I can’t recall any ensemble show ever being so gripping in every single plot thread. Every time they switch to one of the different storylines I’m pissed that we don’t get more of what’s ending but then the same thing happens with what we switched too. I want more of everything!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

PriorMarcus posted:

My understanding was that they hosed up by putting the prisoner back into the same prison on a different floor rather than into one of the other prisons on the ocean. They probably have a few for new inmates and a few for second and third go arounds.

Even that doesn't make sense. He'd do the exact same thing in a different prison. Just being on a different floor isn't going to change the "they just moved me over from next door when I got 'released'" talk.

The best option is for the release door to just be a slide into the ocean. Any other option puts you in exactly this situation.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
From how the doctor said it, I got the impression that all of it is a new thing that has come with PORD, and that prisoners were genuinely released before that.

Now? Probably they just get a laser bolt to the back of the head in a room where their bodies can conveniently be disposed of, but this time the guards hosed up somewhere in transferring the prisoner to that room and mistakenly dumped him down on level 2 instead, because they are not used to the new procedure yet. Inmate starts telling everyone in the room that he was supposed to have been released, and when the room shift meets their counterpart shift in the bridge, they tell that shift too. Guards panic at this point and fry everyone in the bridge to prevent word from spreading further, because while they are not listening, they can definitely see the hand signals when people are in the bridge (They usually just don't care).

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Sash! posted:

Even that doesn't make sense. He'd do the exact same thing in a different prison. Just being on a different floor isn't going to change the "they just moved me over from next door when I got 'released'" talk.

The best option is for the release door to just be a slide into the ocean. Any other option puts you in exactly this situation.

There are 2 things:

1. Since the PORD came down, its possible they started this plan of indefinite detention, so it was a new policy
2. The smartest thing would be to have an entire facility of rotated people, so there is nothing gained by the new people saying "I just left!! my sentence was supposed to be up!" and everyone else is like "uh yea duh"

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Sash! posted:

I meant that they probably have an entite facility or two of the people who got 'released' and know there's no end in sight.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/shima_spoon/status/1587544707588296704

https://twitter.com/MajorStranger2/status/1587783247966212096

The fault in our death star got me good

https://twitter.com/padmeholic/status/1587772576272900096

gently caress the direct parallels to rogue one just keep coming!!

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Nov 2, 2022

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

hold the gently caress on that first reply lmao

https://twitter.com/MajorStranger2/status/1587819526699159552

ahahaahahahahahaha

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Dexo posted:

hold the gently caress on that first reply lmao

ahahaahahahahahaha

*2 characters having a tense talk about how hard it is to be together and yet why they love each other*

drat these girls are good rear end friends...

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
It's genuinely disturbing how "Charlottesville Marcher" Syril is. And how his mother sees him more of an investment than a son.

He's also one of the only Americans on the cast yet to be revealed aside from Forest and Alan Tudyk (eventually).

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Nov 2, 2022

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Can't wait for next episode of AMC, especially the recurring segment of them reading off their opening/poignant notes. Their takes on Cry baby momma's boy and sadistic ladder climbing girl boss head of the class ISB agent is gonna be wilding.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Re: the levitation in the EU thing, in the first High Republics book (so actual canon) one of the things the padawans are trained to do is how to basically fall forever and land safely which is why you never kill a Jedi Disney style, you gotta see the body.

Also glad to see a much more active Andor this ep, confirms that he was just observing everything carefully last episode, rather than being shunted into the background in the narrative.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I got a chuckle out of seeing Gorst give Bix a little wave at the beginning when Meero introduced him

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The screams of dying children have NOT been edited out.

The feel I got from this episode about the Empire was much more "India under the Raj" vs "Occupied by Nazis", especially with the "I'd like to hang him so they know who's in charge" guy. Very similar to how a lot of British politicians and military officers wanted to treat native Indians.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Gorst is a fun weirdo who enjoys his work.

I hope he gets fangoriously domed by Andor or Cinta or somebody with a light repeating blaster.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

He almost certainly works for a research company in the New Republic.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
What I find amazing is that I don't care about the character Cassian Andor. It's not a knock on Luna; I just find the character slightly less boring as I found him in Rogue One with only occasional instances of brilliant interest. It matters little to me if he lives or dies in his own titular prequel show.

It's pretty every other character in the show, major and minor, that captures my interest like a lightning rod.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Veotax posted:

This show is so loving good. I love this.

This is literally all I want to post every week. I have nothing else to say, no notes, just unabashed love for every single part of this show.

If Andy Serkis doesn't get an acting award nom for this we riot.

Mon Mothma's little smile at "all the good ones are taken" is gold.

gently caress, I could point at any scene, any performance, any line, and it's up there in quality with any prestige TV show you could mention.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

The Handrail-free Bridges of Madison County

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

zoux posted:

Re: the levitation in the EU thing, in the first High Republics book (so actual canon) one of the things the padawans are trained to do is how to basically fall forever and land safely which is why you never kill a Jedi Disney style, you gotta see the body.

Also glad to see a much more active Andor this ep, confirms that he was just observing everything carefully last episode, rather than being shunted into the background in the narrative.
Yeah after the close to last week I was stressed he was getting sucked into the system, was happy to see he's making moves

Other stuff:
  • It's interesting how the show highlights Imperial incompetence or lassitude in so many little details but at the same time they're sure crankin along w confidence and precision over at the ISB. I really liked that they didn't limit the commander guy to this Machiavellian caricature where he's snarkily undercutting subordinates to foster competition and eliminate overzealous underlings etc. I was kind of anticipating some dick move to take Dedra down a peg just to protect his seat or whatever, but no, he's genuinely interested in collaborating and supporting and *gasp* positive reinforcement. We've already seen this cutthroat Empire that's just dudes getting choked out in the boardroom left and right; seeing an Empire crisply and efficiently pushing all the right buttons to tighten the net is far more unnerving.

• That final shot of Dedra where she leans into Bix with that look of murderous intensity,  that little facial tic betraying her fury, fuuuuck man so good. Reminiscent of that terrifying staredown Christoph Walz pulls in the opening scene of Inglorious Basterds, it's like the humanity just drains from their faces and all that's left is ruthlessness. I listened to an interview with Tony Gilroy where he talked about all the incoming talent they pulled in from various BBC projects, and all the times they realized "poo poo this person's actually really good, we could totally build out this scene and give this character something more to work with, they can totally pull it off."

• I've never really appreciated Andy Serkis as a dramatic actor when not doing CGI. He was so good as Gollum/Kong/Caesar/etc that seeing him goofing around w his MCU thing and other supporting roles was pretty underwhelming. I just assumed he was better suited to the CGI stuff and sort of dismissed the idea that he could be awesome at both. Whoops

• Soundtrack once again kicked rear end throughout

• I don't watch a ton of shows and don't know how common this sort of multiple-mini-arc format is (directors helming 3-episode groups), but it's really effective and cool

• lolled at Karn's quiet indignity over violation of private box policy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Parkingtigers posted:

The Handrail-free Bridges of Madison County

Hey, handrails were a plot point in this episode