Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

It does seem like a reasonable match for the Nu Gundam, at least.

How do you figure?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ninjewtsu posted:

How do you figure?

Like the Nu, the Aerial isn't just for show.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

How do you figure?

Broadly similar armament and on-screen performance, plus a couple of its own tricks (like being able to use its bits to enhance either its main gun or its general mobility). Also seems similarly capable of Newtype fuckery, considering the latest episode.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
S2 upgrade will be the Wings of Light.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Arc Hammer posted:

Aerial Heavyarms

Yes, if it holds its hands out and the bits spin around in front like the gatlings.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I'd say Aerial having a wide-area ECM ability that can completely shut down anything Permet-based is pretty powerful. It's effectively got a Trial System that works on everything.

E: I also noticed that Pharact's exposed cockpit seemed to be superheated but undamaged at the end of the fight. Either cockpits are highly reinforced/shielded, or the duel system has some means of preventing accidental pilot snipes?

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 8, 2022

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
Kinda feels like Aerial went for the pilot kill and then went "Oh uh wait, this is a duel..." and half-assed blowing off the horn.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

If AMV were still a thing, slapping TRI POLOSKI to random chuchu scenes would be the easiest job ever.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Darth Walrus posted:

It does seem like a reasonable match for the Nu Gundam, at least. Maybe a little more agile thanks to its ability to turn its bit staves into extra thrusters.

Don't see what the Strike Freedom has that it doesn't, either.

More fixed weapons/weapons that aren't bit-derived, really. If you shoot down the Nu Gundam's fin funnels or the Strike Freedom's dragoons, they still have a lot of ways to kill you.

The main potential weakness of the Aerial is that aside from the beam saber, every single one of its functions is reliant on the bits. The beam rifle appears to rely on them to shoot effective shots, the bits themselves are one of the primary offensive weapons, the suit depends on them to attach for boosted mobility, and they also form the unit's shield. Any theoretical opponent that can either disable or destroy the bits could render the Aerial pretty vulnerable.

I'm curious if Shaddiq's suit will be the first one to point out this issue, given its lineage is based on a suit with anti-GUND tricks.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

ElBrak posted:

Kinda feels like Aerial went for the pilot kill and then went "Oh uh wait, this is a duel..." and half-assed blowing off the horn.

That was my thought in the moment, yeah.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Bloody Pom posted:

I'd say Aerial having a wide-area ECM ability that can completely shut down anything Permet-based is pretty powerful. It's effectively got a Trial System that works on everything.

It doesn't seem to work as long as the Beguir-Beu's system, though. Pharact tries to get out of the way after Elan realizes he's surrounded by the bits, he just can't do it fast enough.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

It feels like there's a lot of space for more "personal" upgrades of Aerial and Suletta, coming from the AI and Permet side of things. Becoming more in-sync with her machine, learning more about whatever weird AI ghosts live in the bits, maybe starting to show those weird blue tracks, there's ways they could show off Suletta achieving Aerial's "true potential" without necessarily adding a new gun or extra thrusters.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Nu Gundam would just deploy the inflatable decoys and then kill everyone while they are completely dumbfounded obv

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

wdarkk posted:

The ability to use the bits as an I-field and weapons simultaneously is kinda OP, though. Like imagine how boned a hypothetical Pharact without bits would have been.

I mean, we saw that 30 years ago in char's counter attack. This is only the franchise catching back up to the peak of Nu Gundam.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

ElBrak posted:

I think it/they was/were pissed about Elan trying to snipe one of the bits. They wanted to give him a near death experience too.

Tae posted:

I mean, we saw that 30 years ago in char's counter attack. This is only the franchise catching back up to the peak of Nu Gundam.

Unlike Nu, Aerial can refuel its bits. So it's more of a Hi-Nu. Also I don't think the Nu's funnels could form the shield and shoot at the same time.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Something else on the Aerial's weaknesses;

There are no unimportant Bits. It's not like the Strike Freedom or Nu's where you'd just lose A Bit if one gets popped. Suletta losing any of them cripples her ability to create both a physical shield and the Aerial's performance when they're docked.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/yazwoo/status/1589647933645156354?s=20&t=RF1Bjf7WwfOuoKx9bPLLXw

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Arc Hammer posted:

Like the Nu, the Aerial isn't just for show.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/BANDAIFN/status/1590177742871736321?s=20&t=bBjbh9GndwQavdfjhmhDrA

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Is there a rule for whether you call something a funnel or a bit? Or is it the same as the answer to whether Gundam is first or second in a suits name (whatever the writers felt like)?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

galagazombie posted:

Is there a rule for whether you call something a funnel or a bit? Or is it the same as the answer to whether Gundam is first or second in a suits name (whatever the writers felt like)?

I just go by whatever they call them in the show they're in, but after checking the gundam wiki I've learned that funnels are dependent on the suit for recharging while bits have their own on-board power source.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

galagazombie posted:

In the UC, bits have their own generators and funnels charge from the deploying unit or are single-use, but there are things like the Nu Gundam's Fin Funnels which, despite their name, are bits. I don't know if AU Gundam shows have always kept to those rules when they've used the terms, though.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Is it wrong that I find this absolutely adorable?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/syaparinton/status/1590276411188973569?s=20&t=zK7nHdr_3YH0w4BXFwm68Q

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
https://twitter.com/gundamverseIT/status/1590343420304052224

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

That was quite a bit better than the official translations of the Gundam 00 novels that I've got.

Remarkably so. I mean, it reads like it was originally written in English, even.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Kokoro Wish posted:

Is it wrong that I find this absolutely adorable?

Ariel is very cute, yes.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Given that the Gundam was fully actualized in the prologue and doing all the funnel stuff, why do people think there has to also be a child's brain inside the machine? Why can't the little ghost children just be the AI being a little sister to Eri, based off how Eri looked and behaved when she "awoke", again, in the prologue?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think the Lfrith only FULLY actualized once Eri was in it.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Yawgmoft posted:

Given that the Gundam was fully actualized in the prologue and doing all the funnel stuff, why do people think there has to also be a child's brain inside the machine? Why can't the little ghost children just be the AI being a little sister to Eri, based off how Eri looked and behaved when she "awoke", again, in the prologue?

Because that’s not edgy enough

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Yawgmoft posted:

Because the pharact also had funnels/bits so an ai isn't necessary for that. The robot acting on its own and giving people ghost child visions and noises is new though, and also the prospera convo indicating that it had been 21 years since the prologue throws a lot of normal sane assumptions in the trash.

"Aeriel is powered by one or more forsaken children" just seems to be where the audio-visual imagery is leading but who knows what other curveballs the code geass writer has in store for us

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Also this is from the guy who did Code Geas and some even crazier stuff.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Secelia is Suletta and Miorine's daughter from the future

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
But the novelization doesn't lead to the conclusion that the sentient AI is actually Eri looking at her clone. I think a 4-8 year cryo-stasis getting to mercury with no flight pack makes more sense than "actually we abandoned the AI plot entirely".

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

ninjewtsu posted:

Because the pharact also had funnels/bits so an ai isn't necessary for that. The robot acting on its own and giving people ghost child visions and noises is new though, and also the prospera convo indicating that it had been 21 years since the prologue throws a lot of normal sane assumptions in the trash.

"Aeriel is powered by one or more forsaken children" just seems to be where the audio-visual imagery is leading but who knows what other curveballs the code geass writer has in store for us

It's also the fact that the framing of the show to date has been putting heavy emphasis on the question of what the Aerial actually is. It's a Gundam but it seems to have none of the negative traits in common with the setting's established details about Gundams in the series proper and it doesn't even wholly match the stuff we say in the prologue with the Lfrith. We know it has a self-aware AI which might explain some things, but that fact itself is a bit of a red flag because the show has not demonstrated an AI of the caliber of the prologue novel exists outside of the Aerial, and that has to leave the question of where it came from. To date, while we can guess at it, we cannot definitively say we absolutely know how or why it can function safely for Suletta, and given how it's been framed so far and after the scary bit from the most recent episode it's totally fair to question how "safe" it might actually be...

Also also there is the fact of the nature of the Aerial seeming to be extremely central to the plans of Lady Prospera, a character the show has firmly established as not being on the level. The fact Prospera is definitely scheming up something fierce coupled with the implication she's become distant from her daughter coupled with the fact Suletta herself seems to know nothing about what's going on or the deeper nature of the Aerial is going to lead to a lot of speculation. Doubly so when, as mentioned, the dates don't seem to line up suddenly and this fact is hinted in the same episode that confirms that genetic modification, if not full on cloning, is possible in this universe.

All of this doesn't mean that the Eri from episode zero is somehow definitely the Aerial's AI and Suletta is a clone, but all of those details altogether (and more) gives the very strong impression that something about the Aerial is not on the level and not just that she's a Gundam.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

When did that episode confirm genetic modification if not full on cloning?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Yeah pretty sure that's just really good plastic surgery.

It does confirm memory modification IIRC, which fits with the OP having a line about "the memories sleeping inside you" with respect to Suletta.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
The insane theorycrafting is fun so long as you don't take it too seriously.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

I appreciate that, however it came to be, the intelligence inside Aerial is completely down to help Elnora get revenge, she just doesn't want Suletta to be involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Gripweed posted:

what the gently caress is an "enhanced human"

genetic modification idk seems like they found someone off the street after he was born but there's some crazy bio-science stuff going on