Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Oh the Oracle games would greatly benefit from a four-button remaster, for sure. And they were never the cohesive artistic vision that LA was on DMG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

treating them as definitive experiences is an act of cultural vandalism.
ok lmao

love to have the Intended Artistic Experience of stopping play for ten seconds because i brushed past a rock

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The true act of cultural vandalism was removing the screenwarp glitch in the remake. I found that myself back on the original release and I'd never seen a game glitch on that big of a scale before, it completely blew my mind. I'd already beat the game and it added hours and hours of wacky shenanigans screwing around with it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

DoctorWhat posted:

The original Link's Awakening (and to a lesser degree, DX) have an atmosphere and pacing designed for the pea-soup or grayscale monochrome and low, impressionistic resolution of the Game Boy. The balance of claustrophobic windows on an expansive world, the Twin Peaks-esque catalogue of strange and suspicious characters, the melodies arranged to the strength and limits of the Game Boy's punky little Z80, it's all tuned perfectly.

Yes, the menuing and interruptions are a slog. But it's a slog that's part of the holistic experience of Link's Awakening. Remakes like the Switch version are cute novelties, but treating them as definitive experiences is an act of cultural vandalism.

And don't get me started on Bluepoint's version of Shadow of the Colossus.

yeah this is a normal thing to think and say

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

The Zelda Game and Watch loving rules. I don’t phone game as a rule, so being able to kill some enemies in Zelda 1 or Zelda 2 style for a couple minutes is fun.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

DoctorWhat posted:

Oh the Oracle games would greatly benefit from a four-button remaster, for sure. And they were never the cohesive artistic vision that LA was on DMG

Hell yeah. They're still good enough that I recently ran through them again but for anyone without the nostalgia I can easily see the awful UI turning them off it.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

LividLiquid posted:

It's mighty weird that Nintendo's back catalog has been stuck at the N64 since loving 2006.

unfortunately nobody has ever made another console as powerful as the gamecube :(

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Muscle Tracer posted:

unfortunately nobody has ever made another console as powerful as the gamecube :(

I too subscribe to the "how many handles does it have?" theory of console power.

In Zelda news after a long break I came back and finished my second divine beast! The water elephant, much less interesting than the desert lightning one. But still a nice change from random temples.

So so curious to see what direction TotK goes in.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

External Organs posted:

So so curious to see what direction TotK goes in.

I assume it goes up.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

External Organs posted:

In Zelda news after a long break I came back and finished my second divine beast! The water elephant, much less interesting than the desert lightning one. But still a nice change from random temples.

Interesting order. The desert one is more interesting, but it's the one beast whose puzzles never really gel for me so it leaves me frustrated. Also, its boss fight is the one that gives me the most trouble of any in the game, I can't imagine getting through it without a ton of time spent adding health and getting electricity resistance.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
It was like 8 months ago but I'm sure I just potion scummed it. And yeah the water blight guy was a complete pushover, comparatively.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

A masterclass in game design: botw retains my favorite feature from resident evil 4 on the GameCube where your inventory exists in a timeless space where you are free to build your mind palace while the denizens of hell stand frozen in front of you like total chumps.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
That's not supposed to happen in real life when you open your bag? This is very concerning.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

There really is nothing quite like putting the entire universe on hold while you eat your fifth steak dinner in the last three minutes

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Captain Hygiene posted:

The true act of cultural vandalism was removing the screenwarp glitch in the remake. I found that myself back on the original release and I'd never seen a game glitch on that big of a scale before, it completely blew my mind. I'd already beat the game and it added hours and hours of wacky shenanigans screwing around with it.

They removed that glitch in the GBC version, didn’t they?

Edit: guy playing Skyward Sword on the Wii, part of the issue is that you’re playing it on the Wii. The Switch version fixes a ton of the logistical issues like the menus and the button placement on the controller. You can also center your aim any time with the press of a button which makes the motion controls significantly more forgiving. I definitely had a lot more fun playing the Switch version.

Don’t forget, with the motion controls, you want to be doing small, controlled movements and not large, sweeping gestures. Use your wrist, not your whole arm.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Nov 7, 2022

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I recently finished up all the Champions' Ballad and a bunch of the side quests I hadn't gotten to. Well now the itch got me and I'm playing through the early game again for the first time since 2017, and you guys are right about going exclusively for stamina first and turning off all the GUI elements. Climbing Akkala Tower with 3 hearts (and my wandering play style gave me a discontinuous map because I hadn't even got to Lanayru Tower yet) was pretty awesome. I remember the generalities, so it's not quite like playing fresh, but a lot of the specifics have faded, and that puts it in a pretty good space for me. Like rereading an old favorite book after several years.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I forgot about that, I haven't spent nearly as much time on that version since I never actually had a GBC. But from the 3DS version I think that's right, just move my complaint one iteration earlier I guess.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Captain Hygiene posted:

Interesting order. The desert one is more interesting, but it's the one beast whose puzzles never really gel for me so it leaves me frustrated. Also, its boss fight is the one that gives me the most trouble of any in the game, I can't imagine getting through it without a ton of time spent adding health and getting electricity resistance.
i think the desert one has the most interesting puzzles because there are several ways to break them - you can drop a series of metal weapons in a line for the world's least safe extension cord, you can fire electric arrows, and, if you're willing to abuse exploits, if you swing an electric weapon and drop it in the middle of the animation, it counts as a portable battery!

in contrast the water one always annoys me because I cannot get to the pedestal on the end of the trunk without falling off multiple times. The physics engine hates me.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

They actually already fixed it in the monochrome original's 1.1 revision.
But funnily enough, when America alone got one last version, 1.2, it reintroduced the glitch (and some others too).

But yeah, the color version did not have it at any point.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

My replay of BOTW progresses. Once I got past two full stamina rings I started going for hearts as I approached what I would need for the Master Sword, mostly so I wouldn't have to waste the time and rupees to respec twice. I found that about six hearts is the sweet spot so that I can't just tank damage, and still have to fight battles carefully. I managed to even do a major test of strength, although I do still go through a lot of fairies.

Got the complete map now. I totally cheesed the Gerudo tower by just eating a couple of fill + overfill stamina meals on the way up. Man that thing is tall. I can't imagine how much longer it would've taken without the complete climbing gear outfit.

I'm appreciating the labyrinths a little more this time, if only because between the music and atmosphere they echo the OOT forest temple. I took the time to wander around the two I've gotten to so far for a while and get some good loot. Same with Hyrule Castle, which I mostly saved for the endgame my first time through.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Amppelix posted:

ok lmao

love to have the Intended Artistic Experience of stopping play for ten seconds because i brushed past a rock

You should love it, and if you can't that's a you problem. Why are video games the only art form where, if it makes you feel un-good for even a moment, it's an objective flaw?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

DoctorWhat posted:

You should love it, and if you can't that's a you problem. Why are video games the only art form where, if it makes you feel un-good for even a moment, it's an objective flaw?

A great many people think this about all art, m'dude.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Does this thread like age of calamity? I realize it's more a musou game, but it seems to be a legit Zelda in that there are a lot of Zelda story cutscenes. I've done about three story and three side missions at this point, and I'm enjoying it so far.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Yeah! I thought it was fun, though not all movesets were made equal. It’s also a Zelda game where Zelda herself is pretty much the lead character

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Still sorta sad that they didn't add in some form of Adventure Mode from the first HW.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I burnt out on it pretty early in which is weird because I played a ton of Hyrule Warriors. But I think that's because it came out during the long Zelda dry spell. AoC just made me want to play BotW instead. One day maybe I'll get into it though because I liked it well enough.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

redreader posted:

Does this thread like age of calamity? I realize it's more a musou game, but it seems to be a legit Zelda in that there are a lot of Zelda story cutscenes. I've done about three story and three side missions at this point, and I'm enjoying it so far.

I was hooked on this game. It's like Breath of the Wild, the anime adaptation

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

i don't care if the flaw is objective, i care that i'm being annoyed in a game that i do not play to be annoyed by

in the first place, who are you to prescribe what the proper way to enjoy something is

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

My biggest complaint about AoC is that it's an alternate-timeline prequel, and not the true prequel it was pretty heavily advertised to be. I wanted to see everyone die, dammit! :argh:

But once you get past that, it's a fantastic game, they did a great job setting it in the BotW world and the cutscenes are some of the best in the franchise imo

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I found myself wishing that the level design in Age of Calamity weren't so focused on taking down enemy officers. Occasionally thinking about capturing or defending keeps would've added some nice variety to it. But since it did focus so much on duels, I liked that there was a lot of detail to the enemy behavior.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I did prefer Hyrule Warriors' territorial focus in a vacuum, but AoC as a BOTW-adjacent game gives a bit more room to breathe and go exploring, and I appreciated that design choice too. Mostly I wish there were more of it!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

All AoC did for me is cement the fact that I hate musou games.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

All AoC did for me is cement the fact that I hate musou games.

Same. I really wanted to enjoy it, dammit. :smith:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

redreader posted:

I never got into AoC from the demo and people mentioned that the full version ran poorly on the switch so I never bought it. That being said, the Playable Zelda mod for BotW takes the cutscenes from that game and uses them in place of some of the memories in BotW, which I enjoy greatly.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Muscle Tracer posted:

A great many people think this about all art, m'dude.

Yeah huh.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DoctorWhat posted:

Because it's a failing of coded functionality that either isn't performing as intended, focused to a specific use case that may not be real-world indicative of the average playstyle, or just wasn't well made to begin with. The art is in the user experience, the game itself is a program, and the program can be improved upon to make the experience better. If the intent is that it works, and doesn't in praxis, how is it wrong to fix it so people play/enjoy it in the artist's intended vision?

Any serious artist or creator will also flat tell you there's stuff they hate, or wish they could change in hindsight, on something everyone else considers a masterpiece because art is subjective, not definitive. To consider one specific state of an art piece definitive is a disservice to the idea of art itself.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DoctorWhat posted:

This is a really absurdly reductive statement. A Link to the Past is one of my favorite video games of all time, but even then it has a few design decisions that absolutely break my brain here and there. Super Mario 64 is pretty definitively one of the most revolutionary games ever made, but you'd have to be utterly insane to argue that the camera isn't horribly broken (and even shortly after it was released, Miyamoto was talking about how he would have loved six more months of dev time to fix the camera and a few other things that they just couldn't get done in time to start running cartridge manufacturing). And those are just two examples of games that are considered classics.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

BisbyWorl posted:

Still sorta sad that they didn't add in some form of Adventure Mode from the first HW.

Yeah I enjoyed AoC but put it down shortly after I finished the story. Without Adventure Mode it just doesn't have the same "legs" that HyWar does.

Which honestly... may actually be fine with me? It was nice to actually be able to finish a game for once!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Any serious artist or creator will also flat tell you there's stuff they hate, or wish they could change in hindsight, on something everyone else considers a masterpiece because art is subjective, not definitive.

Timby posted:

Miyamoto was talking about how he would have loved six more months of dev time to fix the camera and a few other things that they just couldn't get done in time to start running cartridge manufacturing). And those are just two examples of games that are considered classics.

They don't get a say! The art is out there, it's done. There's a difference between criticism, regret, hindsight, etc. and revisionism. And in video games, revisionism is constantly winning; audiences are hungry for it. Improved framerate and draw distances, HD remasters, unfaithful remakes and bad emulation.

Just like Gus Van Saint's Psycho, I respect Grezzo's artistic right to make Link's Awakening HD. But I have absolute contempt for the market forces and audience preferences that makes LAHD the only way to buy Link's Awakening in 2022. I hate that Bluepoint's grotesque, mood-destroying mockery of Shadow of the Colossus gets rave reviews while precluding a faithful re-release.

Games yearn for the spherical cow, the dopamine-optimized Game Product Slurry. I want to see art with all its flaws and quirks, and bugs and bad performance count. Bloodborne's long load times are part of the art experience, too, just like the interrupting rocks in Link's Awakening and the edge tile discoloration in Mario 3. "Fixing" that stuff aims to erase the technological and sociopolitical conditions in which the original art was made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
sotc remaster was better