Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I love that you pick a name for your team, which is different to what people call you? Then if you pick the default name you get messages like "I'm ok thanks to the The Phantoms"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

I had a lot of problems, including crashes, when I used the network features on game pass, so I played most of the game without it.

This. I got so annoyed with the constant error popups I disabled it and never went back.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
50 hours in, the game hasn’t crashed once for me. (I’m on Game pass too)

You’re not using Special K, right?

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Pwnstar posted:

I love that you pick a name for your team, which is different to what people call you? Then if you pick the default name you get messages like "I'm ok thanks to the The Phantoms"

Is there literally any reason for this? Is there maybe some network function where you see other people's names or something?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Rinkles posted:

50 hours in, the game hasn’t crashed once for me. (I’m on Game pass too)

You’re not using Special K, right?

Wasn't using anything, so I have no idea why the network was such a problem, but I didn't care much about the network features anyway so no big deal.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Zokari posted:

Is there literally any reason for this? Is there maybe some network function where you see other people's names or something?

I think that's it. Otherwise, just name it something that'll make you giggle when it comes up because it only happens in text when people read the cards.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Zokari posted:

There's this thing where you can request aid from other PT groups if one of your party members is taken hostage. Which requires them to get knocked down by an enemy and be at critical health and then there's a random chance, so you won't see that one very often. Shadows will demand items or money or HP, kind of like your party's holdups, and if you're online you can just bypass this completely by calling on another team. Then you'll get a message like "The Phantoms have responded to your call", so that's when people would see what you named your team.

In summary, no there is no reason for this.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Lol I completely forgot that was a feature

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah I went through the whole game without a single party member getting taken hostage, presumably because I was on merciless and if your party member gets knocked down and hit they don't go to critical health, they loving die.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

I somehow forgot there was a Persona thread and posted this question in the RPG thread the other day:

Tosk posted:

Has anyone played through that Persona 2 Eternal Punishment PSP translation patch that came out a few months ago? Would that be the definitive way to play the game at this point or is the PSX version better for any reason?

I got halfway through Innocent Sin some time ago and finished the first Persona recently, and when the PC port of P3 drops in a few months I'm thinking of marathoning through to P5R (which I've avoided because I haven't had any consoles for the Royal version until now), but I've never tried EP.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I’m currently trudging through P2IS myself. I love the characters and story, but the fights are so dull and so frequent. I think this is my third attempt, but it’s not looking good.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I just noticed your posts in the November chat thread! Besides the visual references you posted, is there a tangible connection between The Drifting Classroom and SMT? I thought that was interesting. If nothing else, the manga seems like it has a little DNA shared with the novels that inspired SMT to begin with.

As far as P2IS, yeah, it has pretty brutal encounter rates. IIRC there are a few (nonetheless annoying to access) ways to lower it via Personas with the Estoma ability or the Disguise Kits you can buy, but it won't fix the issue. I remember googling when I last played to look for a way to lower the random battle rates.

Nowadays I play a lot of RPGs while I listen to audiobooks, at least during the dungeon crawls. It helps more than anything lol.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

A lot of this stuff is aimed at teens and young adults, so it’s not surprising that the themes they cover intersect. But I’m afraid I’ve only started The Drifting Classroom, so I can’t say much that wouldn’t be speculative, though of course SMT is no stranger to protags unexpectedly finding themselves in the middle of a (post) apocalypse. A Persona (or other spinoff with a bigger focus on characters) that treats the realities of that kind of setting seriously, could be interesting though. e:i guess DDS is the closest we’ve got?

I read a translation of the MT novel years ago. Iirc it’s also broadly a coming of age story (the protagonist learns not to be such a tremendous scumbag). But it was pretty trashy overall. And I don’t think that was the fault of the translation. But it’s been ages.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Rinkles posted:

I’m currently trudging through P2IS myself. I love the characters and story, but the fights are so dull and so frequent. I think this is my third attempt, but it’s not looking good.

I accepted a long time ago that there's a dividing line between pre/post SMT3 and I've never going to go back across it. I'm sure by now there are 100% commentary-free youtube runs out there that'll let me scrub through the combat and at least one crazy goon has done an LP that explains everything.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

Presumably you're playing the PSP version on an emulator and here are some action replay codes that, among other things, lower the encounter rate. I plan on using them next time I attempt Innocent Sin, 1/4 the normal encounter rate seems like it could be comfy

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Nope, on a Vita.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Tosk posted:

I somehow forgot there was a Persona thread and posted this question in the RPG thread the other day:

Satomi Tadashi came back to write a new scenario in the PSP version so I'd say so, yeah.

You can only get the full version of that scenario on the Nanjo route though, not really a fan of that.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

GimmickMan posted:

Satomi Tadashi came back to write a new scenario in the PSP version so I'd say so, yeah.

You can only get the full version of that scenario on the Nanjo route though, not really a fan of that.

My being so meh about EP and ranking it much lower than IS in spite of improved gameplay is because I don't care about the new party members at all save for Ellie, who is only temporary. That was unsurprising but very frustrating. I guess I'm just glad I got her in my one and only run. I think somebody actually told me what to pick in order to got her. Bless that poster.

I did like Ulala too, I guess, but that's it.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Pwnstar posted:

"It's hosed up that old guys in politics just do whatever they want" - The World's Most Evil Man, Coincidentally An Old Guy In Politics, Unironically.

I got the impression he's in his 40s, which by the standards of Japanese politics (and hell, American politics) is really young.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

NikkolasKing posted:

My being so meh about EP and ranking it much lower than IS in spite of improved gameplay is because I don't care about the new party members at all save for Ellie, who is only temporary. That was unsurprising but very frustrating. I guess I'm just glad I got her in my one and only run. I think somebody actually told me what to pick in order to got her. Bless that poster.

I did like Ulala too, I guess, but that's it.

Maaan I love the cast of both 2s, so this is definitely outside of my own view here.

I do agree that sadly the gameplay gets in the way of probably the best stories of the Persona series.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
In the second to last vanilla game dungeon and I just got my Myriad Truths spam boy back. Still need to sac my beezlebub that has Almighty boost on it but it’s definitely shaping up.

Izanagi Okami lv 80
Current skills
Myriad Truth
Victory Cry
Angelic Grace
Repel Curse
Drain Bless
Almighty Amp
Magic Ability
Debilitate (will be replaced with Amighty Boost)

I need to figure out after I get Almighty Boost on it if I’m gonna replace Victory Cry or Angelic Grace for Concentrate to really stick it to whoever I come across.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Zokari posted:

So I can smile every time I see the game call us the Guilloteens

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

im saint germain posted:

Akechi's briefcase always contains but a single piece of paper which reads "I KILLED YOUR MOM, FUTABA"

Jesus loving christ, a whole page of black bars and then this rear end in a top hat drops a spoiler, thanks.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Neeksy posted:

Maaan I love the cast of both 2s, so this is definitely outside of my own view here.

I do agree that sadly the gameplay gets in the way of probably the best stories of the Persona series.

I just never felt like there was any...cohesion to the group. The Masked Circle have their bond, and Maya and Yukino have their relationship, so it all just feels so natural and compelling. The EP party felt like a group of strangers. Maybe I'd revise this opinion in a second run. I'll probably do it someday, maybe when I try out the PSP fan translation.

I doubt I'll ever change my opinion on EP Maya, though. Making the spunky woman of IS into a silent character who does nothing but look shocked and afraid all the time was not appreciated.

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns

mmkay posted:

Jesus loving christ, a whole page of black bars and then this rear end in a top hat drops a spoiler, thanks.

That's my bad. I originally figured the absurdity of the image would prevent it from coming across as spoilery, but as it's now been pointed out as one, I've since gone back and added the spoiler tags. Sorry for that.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

I just never felt like there was any...cohesion to the group. The Masked Circle have their bond, and Maya and Yukino have their relationship, so it all just feels so natural and compelling. The EP party felt like a group of strangers. Maybe I'd revise this opinion in a second run. I'll probably do it someday, maybe when I try out the PSP fan translation.

I doubt I'll ever change my opinion on EP Maya, though. Making the spunky woman of IS into a silent character who does nothing but look shocked and afraid all the time was not appreciated.

I think what makes the first few persona games fun for me is that they're kind of a Hitchcockian adventure where everyday people are thrust into a new situation and can't return to their normal world until the end, and are usually just grouped together by things as arbitrary as being on the same train together as in The Lady Vanishes.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Spiffster posted:

In the second to last vanilla game dungeon and I just got my Myriad Truths spam boy back. Still need to sac my beezlebub that has Almighty boost on it but it’s definitely shaping up.

Izanagi Okami lv 80
Current skills
Myriad Truth
Victory Cry
Angelic Grace
Repel Curse
Drain Bless
Almighty Amp
Magic Ability
Debilitate (will be replaced with Amighty Boost)

I need to figure out after I get Almighty Boost on it if I’m gonna replace Victory Cry or Angelic Grace for Concentrate to really stick it to whoever I come across.

Ah, a fellow minmaxer lol.

Personally, I prefer Ali Dance over Angelic Grace because the latter affects magic attacks only. Insta-Heal is also a good option since with Bless/Curse coverage, status effects should be the only concern for Joker.

Shockingly, I found Victory Cry to be kinda useless because I had a separate starter Persona with all 3 Auto-Mas, Regenerate 3 and Invigorate 3, so the Victory Cry heal wasn't really doing much. Replacing it with Spell Master reduces Myriad Truths's cost to 20 which is recoverable by the start of the next battle because of Invigorate 3. I also had a separate support Persona with Charge/Concentrate so I didn't need to have it on InO.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Victory Cry is great when you haven't leveled up Ryuji and your bored of the palace and decide it's just time that all will be revealed as all the enemies will behold the Myriad Truths

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

It makes perfect sense in retrospect, but I didn't know Kaneko had a big interest in fashion designers.

(Tomomi Kobayashi is the Romancing Saga illustrator)

Interviewer: Kobayashi, I understand you’re also into fashion now?

Kobayashi: It’s a relatively recent interest. It started with those amazingly gorgeous patterned pieces that were popular during the bubble economy.

Kaneko: There’s some great designers out there. Lately I’ve been into W & LT… though their designs have been getting more and more outlandish. (laughs) I’m scared to think they’re actually selling this stuff! Thierry Mugler, too… they’re all doing kind of crazy stuff these days.

Kobayashi: Yeah, it looks like something you’d see out of a sci-fi movie or something.

Kaneko: It looks like something tokusatsu characters would wear. But I think those designers are really trying to present something thematic. I can relate to that sentiment—because there’s a lot of character designers out there that don’t give much thought to their designs in that way.

Kobayashi: Yeah, it’s the difference between someone who makes their clothing to sell, and someone who makes it because they want to present their own vision of the world. You get the sense that they don’t particularly care one way or the other if anyone actually wears it.

Kaneko: Yeah, it’s to be viewed as a work of art itself.

Kobayashi: Galliano, Gaultier, and Mugler too, they’ve all been going that direction. Alexander McQueen too.

Kaneko: Hah, wow. And you can’t wear any of it. (laughs)

Kobayashi: It’s like the clothes themselves have too much presence. To wear them you have to be someone with a personality that’s loud enough to match it.

Kaneko: When I see something like Versace at the mall, it’s like, “Oh my god, this costs ten-thousand dollars?!”

Kobayashi: That sense of unreality is fun. I think his clothes express something about the carnivorous aspect of Western culture.

Kaneko: That’s a good insight.

Kobayashi: Wearing it makes you feel like you belong at a hostess bar or something though.

Kaneko: That’s true! I like stuff like Dolce and Gabbana. I own a lot of their clothes. It’s dangerous to wear only Dolce and Gabbana though!

Part of a 1996 Interview, translated by shmuplations

I'm a philistine so I didn't realize Rhadamanthus' design was an homage

(Thierry Mugler's Bustier on the right)

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Welp. Game just crashed just after leaving Shido's palace. I've no idea how far back my last save was. I ... might not finish this playthrough.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

NikkolasKing posted:

You're forgetting that the IS group also didn't had any cohesion right off the bat. Tatsuya was intimidated by Lisa and was indifferent to Eikichi, Lisa and Eikichi were crushing on Tatsuya and treating him as a rival, respectively, while they hated each other's guts. Yukino was rather hands-off with how she treated the trio due to knowing from P1 that they'd get their poo poo together eventually. And Maya was the glue that held the team together. They didn't even know about the Masked Circle thing until about 2/3rds into the game and there was a lot of friction before they got to that point.

And EP's party being a bunch of strangers is exactly the point. They're thrown together by circumstance and pursuing their own agenda. Some of them like or respect the others, but some have a more hostile relationship. They have each other's backs but it takes a lot of time before they even become close, with one party member taking until the endgame to open up about their past. It's intentionally written that way to show how different adult relationships are like, and implying it's somehow lesser than the IS crew is just reductive. There's fun to be had about watching a group of jerks forced to work together to survive and eventually come to respect one another.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

amigolupus posted:

You're forgetting that the IS group also didn't had any cohesion right off the bat. Tatsuya was intimidated by Lisa and was indifferent to Eikichi, Lisa and Eikichi were crushing on Tatsuya and treating him as a rival, respectively, while they hated each other's guts. Yukino was rather hands-off with how she treated the trio due to knowing from P1 that they'd get their poo poo together eventually. And Maya was the glue that held the team together. They didn't even know about the Masked Circle thing until about 2/3rds into the game and there was a lot of friction before they got to that point.

And EP's party being a bunch of strangers is exactly the point. They're thrown together by circumstance and pursuing their own agenda. Some of them like or respect the others, but some have a more hostile relationship. They have each other's backs but it takes a lot of time before they even become close, with one party member taking until the endgame to open up about their past. It's intentionally written that way to show how different adult relationships are like, and implying it's somehow lesser than the IS crew is just reductive. There's fun to be had about watching a group of jerks forced to work together to survive and eventually come to respect one another.

They definitely learn about the Masked Circle well before 2/3 of the game is over. My memory isn't the best but the reveal comes several dungeons before Jun even joins the party, and then he's in the party for a good long while.

As for the differences, to each their own. I've basically had this debate with people who prefer P3's SEES to P4's IT. Some people prefer the conflict-ridden cliques of P3's party. I'm not one of them. Innocent Sin and Persona 4 are my favorite Persona games precisely because of the kooky, loving, familial bond the characters share.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Honestly, the only time I've really enjoyed a JRPG party that was framed more as disparate people with major personal differences coming together for a common purpose instead of a tight-knit group of friends was, like... Tales of the Abyss.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

They definitely learn about the Masked Circle well before 2/3 of the game is over. My memory isn't the best but the reveal comes several dungeons before Jun even joins the party, and then he's in the party for a good long while.

As for the differences, to each their own. I've basically had this debate with people who prefer P3's SEES to P4's IT. Some people prefer the conflict-ridden cliques of P3's party. I'm not one of them. Innocent Sin and Persona 4 are my favorite Persona games precisely because of the kooky, loving, familial bond the characters share.
Lisa knows what's up waaay before the rest of the party and hides it until she can confirm it, which is a neat touch to her personal arc. The rest of the characters don't learn about it until they head into the mountain behind the shrine to view the memory pools alongside Shadow Maya. Right after that the nazis land and you head up to Mt. Katatsumuri to deal with Jun. It's a couple dungeons, sure, but plot-wise there's only Yukino's arc reaching the climax before that and it's Jun.

You really only have Jun for what feels like the last 1/4th of the game.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Arist posted:

Honestly, the only time I've really enjoyed a JRPG party that was framed more as disparate people with major personal differences coming together for a common purpose instead of a tight-knit group of friends was, like... Tales of the Abyss.

:hai:

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Soul Hackers 2 has many problems but the characters are probably the best part and they definitely have the “people that don’t like each other but are forced into working together because of a common cause” dynamic down.

They’re also grown-rear end adults which is a breath of fresh air after so many JRPGs about teenagers

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I've gotta see how I feel with the patch. The character work seemed decent,but the game moved like molasses before.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like when Mishima texts you about someone killing/mutilating cats and you can reply to him "It wasn't me."

Plus other Mishima responses - almost all the texts give you an option to be like "that sounds cool, what's the problem?" after Mishima mentions some sort of crime

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
3rd Semester in Royal opening with a "walk around all of Tokyo and talk to your friends. 1 per day" bit should be quick and easy despite already being artificially padded to waste your time, but then straight up removing quick travel on top of that just serves to make it so incredibly tedious jeez

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also the one where he mentions some abusive S&M thing and you can say "does the 'M' stand for 'Mishima'"