Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

vyelkin posted:

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink
He sings the songs that remind him of the potato blight
He sings the songs that remind him of the oppression of the English landlords

Actually that's pretty much every other song they've made (seriously go listen to them they're awesome).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~

joepinetree posted:

I feel like a cspam poster, I feel like a SAL poster, I feel like a TRP poster. Of course, I am not a cspam poster, I am not a SAL poster, I am not a TRP poster. But I feel like it, because I know what it means to be discriminated, to be bullied, as a poster in a foreign subforum. What do you do then? You try to engage, make friends. Don’t start accusing, fighting, insulting, you start engaging

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

L.H.O.O.Q. posted:

I think maybe you could adjust your narrow definition of money

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McQT-XH3wGA&t=20s

Pook Good Mook posted:

Literally every American large event since and including the 86 Olympics has made buckets of money.

And if Qatar things Gulf State dick waggling is useful more power to them, but their competition is local. So what if they have more exposure than Dubai, there's no one in the stands and the whole thing is a farce.

Dubai is currently laughing and pointing out how their Dubai World Cup(lol) horse race meetings have gone off without a hitch.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Moktaro posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McQT-XH3wGA&t=20s

Dubai is currently laughing and pointing out how their Dubai World Cup(lol) horse race meetings have gone off without a hitch.

Dubai built the world's tallest building(tm), but then couldn't be arsed to connect it to the sewage lines. So every morning there is a line of trucks just to carry away the poo.

This is funny to me.

On Qatar's World Cup and it being poo poo: Has there been any overt harassment of women at this WC yet? Because their has been a lot of focus on the horrendous way Qatar treats LGBTQ folk, yet they don't treat women much better.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

BrigadierSensible posted:

Dubai built the world's tallest building(tm), but then couldn't be arsed to connect it to the sewage lines. So every morning there is a line of trucks just to carry away the poo.
That's gotta be a weird thing to put on a resumé.

"What did you do for five years in Dubai?"

"I was a contractor who drove trucks from skyscrapers filled with other people's poo poo."

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I will always be an LF poster poseur.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Dubai built the world's tallest building(tm), but then couldn't sell any of the apartments because of the financial crisis, ran out of money, then had to get a loan from their noisy neighbours in Abu Dhabi on the condition that the tower was renamed after Abu Dhabi's ruler - Sheik Khalifa.

This is funny to me.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I feel like a PSP poster I'm just here in stealth :ninja:

On Qatar's World Cup and it being poo poo: Has there been any overt harassment of women at this WC yet?

I don't think any went

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

what if soccer but just for us fellas

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

:coal:

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

A world cup thread should be posted in CSPAM. It should be posted in FYAD. If they’re interested it should be posted in coupons. I actually went to coupons some years ago to post an interest check for a World Cup thread: Inwas not successful obviously but I would post it another 100 times if I thought it would help unite the forums

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

i say swears online posted:

what if soccer but just for us fellas

Oh so all football until 20 years ago then

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/theMadridZone/status/1595712258591670274

:yikes:

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

You can take the player out of Chelsea...

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

He isn't wrong, Germany will have wanted to win.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

hansi flick in an extremely hank scorpio voice

"trying to win?! why didn't i think of that??"

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Will be a good thing when people stop thinking discrimination is politics. Ah well

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
You can’t ask Hazard to put his own arse on the line

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

:negative:

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

:boom:

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

https://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-world-cup/story/4812342/stranded-world-cup-fans-offered-refunds-after-negligence

Geez.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

lmao, at this point its pretty obvious they didn't try and get anything ready in time for the world cup other than the fancy half-empty stadia

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
We've not even got to the bit where everyone's trapped there cause they can't get home

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Bogan Krkic posted:

lmao, at this point its pretty obvious they didn't try and get anything ready in time for the world cup other than the fancy half-empty stadia

$200B and hundreds of thousands of migrant workers and they couldn't even build a tent city.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Someone please do the needful and add the qat_ar logo to this

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Rarity posted:

We've not even got to the bit where everyone's trapped there cause they can't get home

Gianni Infantino is going to step up and transport the migrant workers’ hammers back home on his private jet, what a leader 😍

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

jesus WEP posted:

Gianni Infantino is going to step up and transport the migrant workers’ hammers back home on his private jet, what a leader 😍

Today he feels like an aeroplane

Lemon
May 22, 2003

the sex ghost posted:

Someone please do the needful and add the qat_ar logo to this

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

:discourse:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

nice

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

lmao

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

:five:

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

joepinetree posted:

I feel like a cspam poster, I feel like a SAL poster, I feel like a TRP poster. Of course, I am not a cspam poster, I am not a SAL poster, I am not a TRP poster. But I feel like it, because I know what it means to be discriminated, to be bullied, as a poster in a foreign subforum. What do you do then? You try to engage, make friends. Don’t start accusing, fighting, insulting, you start engaging

lol

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

amazing

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
RE: What does Qatar get out of a £200bn world Cup?

Soft power, in the medium/short term, is part of a long term investment strategy.

That region of the world will soon be hotter than an oven in hell and virtually unlivable. Oil and gas have a limited shelf life, over the medium to long term.

The rulers of this region are in a similar situation as big energy companies. They have to spend that money and diversify their economies [i]now[/] when the going is still good, because it isn't going to last. If they fail to do so, the future is the elite spend everything they have left buying up assets is cooler parts of the world (like London, Paris, New York etc, and you see local leaders for these places giving the Saudi's Kuwaiti's Qatari's the green light because they want their money) and just leave the region to its dessicated devices, which they are already doing, but these marquee event work as cover for the hedge that is asset stripping. Their countries are their powerbase though and I doubt they want to give up their absolute power easily.

Mushroom Zingdom
Jan 28, 2007
Nap Ghost
I’m convinced a large part of it is simply asking who the Qatari leadership and elite views as it’s peers — their counterparts in the other gulf states — and whose opinions they care about (the same). Clearly they only care about the opinions of people in the broader western world to a point (to when their money would become reputationally toxic, which we are very far from- an article pointed out that the #10 landowner in the UK is Qatar, though I don’t know if that represented a singular entity or Qataris as a group).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

London’s main industry is basically money laundering. And they don’t care about reputation so long as they have something everyone needs (oil). See the US basically turning a blind eye to everything the oil states do and then they still said “lol no” when Biden went to them begging to increase production.