Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

I enjoy the prehistoric setting for the Conan stories, no matter how overstuffed and ahistorical it got

I'm a Howard truther. The Hyborean age was real.

keep punching joe posted:

Much like 'flat-earth', my first question to anyone who sincerely believes in an ancient aliens/civilization conspiracy theory is "Who's covering this up and why? What possible benefit is there to the *checks notes*... archaeologist agenda in hiding this huge truth from the world?".

There's no malicious intent, the evidence simply hasn't been found.

War and Pieces posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altaic_languages
if you believe this theory then Koreans get to claim all of Steppe history

PIE erasure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

i say swears online posted:

the opening to temple of doom is my favorite vignette of the three movies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTAuvVzZgFU

:hmmyes:

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Sorry, PIEs and also their swirly doodles are cancelled forever for what their barely-related descendents decided to do 10,000 years later

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
New Garry Kasparov just dropped:

https://twitter.com/MildlyAmused/status/1594036375178944520?t=pxQw1mwWB45OwduaweGJbQ&s=19

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

this insane weirdo brings up some good points

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
"loving Romans and their loving coins loving everywhere" is an actual agricultural expenditure around my hometown, to the point of people needing a metal detector sweep in some places.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

i'm a rome truther now

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

my dad posted:

"loving Romans and their loving coins loving everywhere" is an actual agricultural expenditure around my hometown, to the point of people needing a metal detector sweep in some places.

well most of those don’t have recognizable markings anymore so they’re probably from some other real (ie, not made up by the church) civilization. anything with roman markings was planted there by medieval priests.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Zodium posted:

i'm a rome truther now
Her last point really sealed the deal for me. whenever you get people talking about things like a potential EU capital, there's always some Italian/Romance-language speaker suggesting Rome, as if it not being the capital of Europe is an offense against God. Similarly, Rome became the role model for imperialists and fascists across Europe - despite there being competing historical cultures/groups that would make a lot more sense as a historical foundation for states/peoples that had no or even hostile interactions with this supposed historical entity.

This is pretty clear evidence that Rome is a meme purposefully built to twist the mind into accepting the logic of fascism and imperialism, an imagined virtuous past whose values we should all venerate today.

my dad posted:

How do you know they're Roman coins?

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

what about the etruscans though

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
and furthermore, the maesters killed the dragons

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
if Rome didn't exist, what does she think was happening in the geographical area now known as Europe and the Mediterranean for a thousand years? Where does she think the Church even came from?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

vyelkin posted:

if Rome didn't exist, what does she think was happening in the geographical area now known as Europe and the Mediterranean for a thousand years?

finno-korean joint occupation of a demilitarized zone + phantom time

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
i don't think its an exaggeration to say that the history of all hitherto existing society is the history of hyperwar coverups

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Rome definitely existed but the real pill is that it was on the extreme periphery of a world system that centered around Chinese silk exports.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

vyelkin posted:

if Rome didn't exist, what does she think was happening in the geographical area now known as Europe and the Mediterranean for a thousand years? Where does she think the Church even came from?
The area supposedly owned by Rome was just a continuation of the Greek colonies of the Mediterranean. This also explains why the "Western Roman Empire" fell first - the Greek metropole lost control over its colonies.

Not sure what the relevance of the Church is though? You don't need Rome to make a new Jewish sect.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I’m really thankful for the nerds who figured out where minor events like construction of a minor temple in upper Egypt during the 3rd dynasty happened on the timeline of history. seems like a really annoying and thankless job But I Appreciate It

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

vyelkin posted:

if Rome didn't exist,

it would be necessary to invent him

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Rome is just a dumb knockoff of the inca tbh

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

You see the Arabs kept Cicero's letters because they knew christians would need them later

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
News story relevant to "fake" Romans and their coins.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-63636641

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

they're just using that let's play where Rome gets completely rolled by Pyrrhus as a primary source document

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

vyelkin posted:

Where do you think the church came from? The bishopric of Rome wasn't a particularly important patriarchate for the first half of the medieval period. It's probably not too hard to dismiss the fairly scant earlier evidence of it's primacy as either ancient propaganda or inaccurate interpretations through a modern lense.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Weka posted:

a particularly important patriarchate

lol

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Listen, there are only five of these guys in all of Christianity, but the one in Rome was not important.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lord of Pie posted:

they're just using that let's play where Rome gets completely rolled by Pyrrhus as a primary source document

Link?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Her last point really sealed the deal for me. whenever you get people talking about things like a potential EU capital, there's always some Italian/Romance-language speaker suggesting Rome, as if it not being the capital of Europe is an offense against God.

drat right!

Only other options are Paris or Aachen. Anything else would be obscene.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

why on earth wouldn't you choose Rome or some place in Italy if EU reps get a choice

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Weka posted:

Where do you think the church came from? The bishopric of Rome wasn't a particularly important patriarchate for the first half of the medieval period. It's probably not too hard to dismiss the fairly scant earlier evidence of it's primacy as either ancient propaganda or inaccurate interpretations through a modern lense.
It was absolutely the most important patriarchate, even in the early medieval period. Constantinople had the Eastern Roman Empire going for it, but it was never an apostolic see, which people were really into back then.

Rome didn't have absolute control to do whatever diktats it wanted until later on, but it was certainly the most influential and prestigious.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
she has a roman nose tho

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

bedpan posted:

drat right!

demanding that we try to recapture a "glorious" past rather than forge ahead into a brighter tomorrow? this guy is a fascist

indigi posted:

why on earth wouldn't you choose Rome or some place in Italy if EU reps get a choice
what eu reps want = fascism

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Didn't Robert Howard commit suicide after his mom died?

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's the shackles of civilization that convince us this is "gay" or "weak". Any warrior worth the name would gladly follow his mother into the afterlife.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Throwing my Latin textbooks in the loving TRASH

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

The guy apparently couldn’t process grief or something. There was the other time when the family dog got sick and when it was becoming clear that it wouldn’t last much longer Howard left home and stayed at a hotel for a week until he was sure the dog had passed, then came back home and pretended like nothing had happened. Pretty sad really

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Endman posted:

Throwing my Latin textbooks in the loving TRASH

most of them deserve to be there anyway

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.cnn.com/style/amp/coin-fake-emperor-real-intl-scli-scn/index.html

fight brewing between classicists and scientists over whether a dude named himself emperor of dacia in the third century.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

https://www.cnn.com/style/amp/coin-fake-emperor-real-intl-scli-scn/index.html

fight brewing between classicists and scientists over whether a dude named himself emperor of dacia in the third century.
they're going to eventually accept these forgeries as real, because they have to to maintain the illusion that the rest of them are too.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

bedpan posted:

drat right!

Rebuild sirmium but that would mean letting in serbia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

A Buttery Pastry posted:

they're going to eventually accept these forgeries as real, because they have to to maintain the illusion that the rest of them are too.

but why? they've been declared fakes for 150 years

edit oh I think I missed a compressed timeline joke