Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Potato Salad posted:

M365 can't comply why exactly?

its not german hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Truga posted:

no, they went back to microsoft because microsoft lobbied the new mayor's party with a couple dozen million dollars (which they immediately made back by selling them brand new licenses)

it was quite funny too, just as the users got used to the new workflow and costs started to go down after the migrations ended, they went back to microsoft, and of course costs rocketed up again for a few years as they started migrating back

when they first announced the switch, immediately the next day city employees started calling support and screaming about how they don't understand this new thing on their computer… except the migration was still months away and they were looking at the same windows desktop they had been using every day up to that point.

they did roll their own distro though, which seemed to be an odd choice (you'd figure germans would just go for suse), but it was 2004, so a different time

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

actually gdpr is the best thing to ever happen to european consumers.

why would americans be the only ones to impose extremely anti competitive and us-centric laws with a global reach? thinking about ITAR and cryptography export laws for example.

gdpr has brought good business in europe, has made the faang reconsider their awful data practices, and has also made my employer not gently caress around with data they don't need. it's perfect in every way. everyone has the right to own their data and to ask corps to be responsible with it.

it has (almost) nothing to do with trying to protect some obscure european companies. sure maybe there's a bit of that - but don't go and tell me the us aren't doing that every single day to protect their oil, automobile or tech conglomerates.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

go play outside Skyler posted:

it has (almost) nothing to do with trying to protect some obscure european companies. sure maybe there's a bit of that - but don't go and tell me the us aren't doing that every single day to protect their oil, automobile or tech conglomerates.

i mean did you see what the last president did to all our trade deals

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
made them yooge and byootiful i am told

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I was going to blame the gdpr for all the goddamn cookie banners but I can't ignore the fact that every drat corporate website pops up a drat modal to ask you to sign up for the newsletter.

I'm already logged in and I already refused! Stop asking me!

There needs to be a new gdpr law that forbids cookie selection banners and forbids websites from asking you to sign up for a newsletter. And while they're at it, ban all video ads and all animated ads and impose s hefty fine if opt-out systems for e-mail do not work.

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

cookie law != gdpr

the cookie law was dumb as hell and could be solved a million other ways than with those drat banners

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

actually gdpr is the best thing to ever happen to european consumers.

why would americans be the only ones to impose extremely anti competitive and us-centric laws with a global reach? thinking about ITAR and cryptography export laws for example.

gdpr has brought good business in europe, has made the faang reconsider their awful data practices, and has also made my employer not gently caress around with data they don't need. it's perfect in every way. everyone has the right to own their data and to ask corps to be responsible with it.

be careful, you're gonna get shaggar'd if you keep posting like that

sb hermit posted:

I was going to blame the gdpr for all the goddamn cookie banners but I can't ignore the fact that every drat corporate website pops up a drat modal to ask you to sign up for the newsletter.

There needs to be a new gdpr law that forbids cookie selection banners and forbids websites from asking you to sign up for a newsletter. And while they're at it, ban all video ads and all animated ads and impose s hefty fine if opt-out systems for e-mail do not work.
the cookie popups are entirely made to be as obtuse and annoying as possible, because companies were trying to be maliciously compliant - hoping, i guess, to make lawmakers back off
meanwhile, they also tried to completely skirting around the law by claiming "legitimate interests" - which isn't a concept included in the law, and is entirely a fiction created by lawyers working for said companies

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Nov 27, 2022

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

sb hermit posted:

Video ads I could see banned for power consumption reasons.

Someone should push for that.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

cookie law != gdpr

the cookie law was dumb as hell and could be solved a million other ways than with those drat banners

by banning cookies and holding browser devs personally and criminally liable for any other methods of tracking users

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
the worst cookie ones are the "choose the cookies you want" with some greyed out option for "mandatory" like just gently caress right off there is no such thing as a required cookie.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
heres a hint, if you have to obfuscate something because people keep blocking it, you should really reconsider what you are doing

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Wild EEPROM posted:

the worst cookie ones are the "choose the cookies you want" with some greyed out option for "mandatory" like just gently caress right off there is no such thing as a required cookie.

you need to store a cookie to remember that people pressed the "gently caress off cookies" button

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Wild EEPROM posted:

heres a hint, if you have to obfuscate something because people keep blocking it, you should really reconsider what you are doing
anyone who's shocked that large corporations, who've been making billions off both processing and selling customer data for decades, would suddenly start being maliciously compliant with newly introduced rules designed to even slightly curb that, probably also think they can put flour in their mouth and blow without making a mess

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Wild EEPROM posted:

Well, they took a second look, and decided that they still like money more than human decency. Sorry.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i love gdpr, almost everyone angry about it has a take along the lines of "omg why would you attack the wonders of modern it infrastructure, you'll be back in the dark ages before everything was controlled by two corporations", which is: a) dumb; and; b) wrong, microsoft will fix this (and google/amazon will follow to get to bid for these things) and we'll all be better off because they do.

the post suggesting that pure eu instances are unlikely is particularly weird: microsofts stuff is all on top of azure in the end, and it is a perfectly sensible and desirable feature that you can stick in an availability zone. some features of 365 may have a bit more global a setup, but most can no doubt change, and whatever can't should not be that hard to enumerate.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Nov 27, 2022

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

otoh i have some "friends" very wrapped up in selling extremely overpriced garbage cloud services with unnecessary gdpr guarantees who will not stop making noise about how everything is illegal even when the guarantees are deemed quite sufficient by actual lawyers. a small part of my belief that microsoft will fix this is pure spite against them personally.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i love gdpr, almost everyone angry about it has a take along the lines of "omg why would you attack the wonders of modern it infrastructure, you'll be back in the dark ages before everything was controlled by two corporations", which is: a) dumb; and; b) wrong, microsoft will fix this (and aws will follow to get to bid for these things) and we'll all be better off because they do.

the post suggesting that pure eu instances are unlikely is particularly weird: as a customer i already trust that the availability zones are almost entirely separate, and it seems perfectly reasonable and desirable that instances where your data is moved into availability zones you've never touched be enumerated. not to mention when your data is moved off of azure entirely for some reason.

My vent yesterday was due to working in the public sector for an awful long time and knowing that a similar document will end up with idiots in the c-suite reading it as "WE MUST RUN AWAY FROM MICROSOFT TO GOOGLE" or even better "WE MUST MOVE ALL OUR WORKLOADS BACK ON-PREMISE CAUSE THE CLOUD CANNOT BE EVER GDPR COMPLIANT REGARDLESS OF THE LAWS REQUIRING ALL WORKLOADS MOVED TO CLOUD". I could write books about hundreds of similar events (like google analytics becoming illegal without any clear legal document and being required to move to a national matomo instance that will show data from three months back since it cannot handle all the data processing) but it would pretty much dox me.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

SlowBloke posted:

My vent yesterday was due to working in the public sector for an awful long time and knowing that a similar document will end up with idiots in the c-suite reading it as "WE MUST RUN AWAY FROM MICROSOFT TO GOOGLE" or even better "WE MUST MOVE ALL OUR WORKLOADS BACK ON-PREMISE CAUSE THE CLOUD CANNOT BE EVER GDPR COMPLIANT REGARDLESS OF THE LAWS REQUIRING ALL WORKLOADS MOVED TO CLOUD". I could write books about hundreds of similar events (like google analytics becoming illegal without any clear legal document and being required to move to a national matomo instance that will show data from three months back since it cannot handle all the data processing) but it would pretty much dox me.

hey, never going to dispute a generalized prediction that dumb wasteful things will happen!

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
a very amusing part of gdpr is clicking a link to some local american newspaper and getting a geoblock message because they don't just sell as much data as they can, they throw it around like confetti. the best ones also have/had a http 451 error because this is clearly censorship!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

NFX posted:

a very amusing part of gdpr is clicking a link to some local american newspaper and getting a geoblock message because they don't just sell as much data as they can, they throw it around like confetti. the best ones also have/had a http 451 error because this is clearly censorship!

i like the ones that say "our European visitors are important to us"

well clearly not, it's been over 5 year lmfao

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

SlowBloke posted:

on-premises

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Wild EEPROM posted:

the funniest ones are sites that refuse to render because cookies aren't on, gotta love web 2.0 frameworks

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

the funniest ones are sites that refuse to render because cookies aren't on, gotta love web 2.0 frameworks

can’t show you this video unless you accept ad cookies

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
gdpr owns

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

~Coxy posted:

on-premises

lovely servers u have
all the better to breach u with

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry

NFX posted:

i worked for a national (but pretty small) US magazine when gdpr was going into effect and no one in our leadership knew anything about it. absolutely no prep or plan for it, no master list of our data partners or their gdpr compliance stuff. something like the day before it started, i had to hack up some dumb geolocation “sorry no can use website” thing for anyone in the european economic area because “we have to do something:supaburn: and no one knew what that was.

:airquote:fortunately:airquote: we got bought by an EU company not long after and they completely absorbed the website along with everything else and then I left and never had to deal with it again

e: this is mostly to say that a lot of smaller us media/websites don’t know poo poo about tech policy (or tech tbh)

lousy hat fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Nov 27, 2022

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

lousy hat posted:

i worked for a national (but pretty small) US magazine when gdpr was going into effect and no one in our leadership knew anything about it. absolutely no prep or plan for it, no master list of our data partners or their gdpr compliance stuff. something like the day before it started, i had to hack up some dumb geolocation “sorry no can use website” thing for anyone in the european economic area because “we have to do something:supaburn: and no one knew what that was.

:airquote:fortunately:airquote: we got bought by an EU company not long after and they completely absorbed the website along with everything else and then I left and never had to deal with it again

e: this is mostly to say that a lot of smaller us media/websites don’t know poo poo about tech policy (or tech tbh)

this is just good leadership in 2022: dont think let alone worry about any potential problem just make this quarter better than last

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

is this as abjectly stupid/not-even-wrong as it sounds to an inexpert lurker?
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1594076600701579264
screenshot

in particular that first bullet point:
    - Maybe deprecate TLS this week, as only needed if Android app >1 year old.

thanks secfuck thread

thsfead

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I would hope it means replace it with some app-specific crypto that they're running on newer versions of the app. Still a dumb thing to do since web interface requires TLS anyway

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
in the context of that architecture diagram it sounds like they’ve fully transitioned from one api to another and are only still running the old api to support old app installs. they call the old api the tls api and the new one the graphquery api. i’d assume on a technical level they’re both rest-style apis over https and it’s just the shape of the api that’s different. i strongly doubt they rolled their own crypto, there’s basically no point in doing that

from the new info here, it sounds like they transitioned their ios app to the new api much earlier than their android app, which is why they think of that as platform-specific. presumably if you had a sufficiently ancient ios twitter app it would also be broken by turning off the old api, but they see such little traffic coming that way that they don’t consider it worth mentioning

mystes
May 31, 2006

Feeling cute, might deprecate TLS later

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

that's my read as well (and parts have been confirmed by previous posts). i also suspect that there was at one time a non-tls endpoint that was turned down long ago, and is how the current android-use api got its name

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Achmed Jones posted:

that's my read as well (and parts have been confirmed by previous posts). i also suspect that there was at one time a non-tls endpoint that was turned down long ago, and is how the current android-use api got its name

What I figured as well. The "old" endpoint probably had to deal with clients that were outright unable to deal with TLS, so it remained as the "not TLS" endpoint until turned down, then history turned to myth, myth turned to legend, and elon fired anyone that might have known.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
i love the gdpr because i occasionally get requests to collect data that we can’t actually collect and wouldn’t be useful even if we could and i can just say gdpr instead of spending an hour explaining why the request is dumb

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

https://twitter.com/jmhodges/status/1594406819249721344?s=20&t=duYliILwESkbKSOXwxRywg

it stands for "timeline service" according to someone who worked at twitter 2009-2014 per their linkedin

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lmao that's way better/funnier thanks for the correction

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i was wondering if that might’ve been it, but i was backronyming it to “twitter ? service” and couldn’t fill that in. but yeah never underestimate people’s ability to pick terrible acronyms that introduce completely unnecessary confusion

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

going to remove aes from my banking app

automatic elasticache scaling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Delete UR POSTS
(Unpermitted Redistribution of Partially Ordered Standard Teletype Streams)