Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Check out Sceptre, they make nice 4K TV's that are 100% dumb with no internet or built in app capability. It rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Sydin posted:

Check out Sceptre, they make nice 4K TV's that are 100% dumb with no internet or built in app capability. It rules.

Not OLED don’t care. :colbert:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

FistEnergy posted:

Old Man Yells At TV

check this guy out. i bet he can program a vcr

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Sydin posted:

That's what I just bought at the beginning of the month. My 55" was $280 after tax/shipping.

The video settings on 4k are loving trash though. And they have a not great fail rate.

I figure if mine makes it 90 days without making GBS threads itself, it's probably fine.

E: it's only 60hz though.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I'm perfectly happy with Roku TCL TVs because they're dirt cheap 4K, good picture quality for the budget tier, their interface is one of the better ones, and they have all the apps my kids need to watch their garbage

I'm not paying $1500 instead of $500 so I can pixel peep or feel like a superior consumer

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Jazerus posted:

check this guy out. i bet he can program a vcr

i programmed my vcr to record star trek off broadcast tv back in the day, takes me back

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

we just got a smart tv for the first time, and i was pleasantly surprised at how good the image processing is at turning poor quality video more watchable

a bunch of rifftrax movies are crappily recorded from VHS sources so they have telecine artifact leading choppy pans and terrible contrast turning all the blacks gray or green, but the TV magically fixes the frame rate and adjusts the dynamic range

it also gets hundreds of channels somehow despite not being connected to cable or antenna, so i watched an all cornhole all the time channel and some STTNG marathon for a while before being reminded why everyone stopped watching live tv, which is the constant ad breaks

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

FistEnergy posted:

I'm perfectly happy with Roku TCL TVs because they're dirt cheap 4K, good picture quality for the budget tier, their interface is one of the better ones, and they have all the apps my kids need to watch their garbage

I'm not paying $1500 instead of $500 so I can pixel peep or feel like a superior consumer

same; I replaced my 2010 32-inch dumb TCL a couple years ago with a 40-inch TCL smarty-pants that was like $200.

the firmware updates automatically & I can use the roku app on my phone as a remote.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

MickeyFinn posted:

What was it, 3 months ago, when everyone interviewed on the housing market was convinced housing prices were never going to come down? Now it is 15-20%. Hopefully that will be locked in by spring and we can start talking about 30-50% total drop in prices.
this isn’t happening without significant demand destruction ie a deep and brutal recession

housing in America is still woefully under-supplied and as some of those quotes Willa posted point out, high interest rates also depress new home construction

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

bawfuls posted:

housing in America is still woefully under-supplied

Eeeeeeehhhhhhhh

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Mr Hootington posted:

Protests in China tonight. Carl Zha with a good thread of videos.
https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1596594952297156608?t=OjJW0uE6zsD6tk9-68NzWg&s=19
https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1596613781786071040?t=PooJVExKGBHbtRyd2Lqfmw&s=19

Seeming very likely covid zero policy will end due to this fire and the blundering that lead to 10 people dying.

"blundering" lol
the official policy for people in xinjiang is get hosed

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

FistEnergy posted:

Old Man Yells At TV

I dunno, I think it's kinda endearing to watch all of this bickering about television. It radiates goon-Dad energy. :3:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

FlapYoJacks posted:

Not OLED don’t care. :colbert:

Rivian guy obsessed with tech fads

Apr 7, 2003

Hubbert posted:

I dunno, I think it's kinda endearing to watch all of this bickering about television. It radiates goon-Dad energy. :3:

I use an OTA antenna channels and I haven't found a non-smart TV with an ATSC tuner anywhere recently

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Eeeeeeehhhhhhhh

Nah, it's true.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

TVs aren’t even worth stealing anymore, it’s like $250 for a 60” now. Barely worth carrying onto public transit.

i'm poor damnit

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Rutibex posted:

all wifi antennas have this ability, ever since CIA secret project codename "hotpocket"

sorry about your upcoming crash where you die

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

you wear shoes if you are visiting someone else's home unless they say you can take them off

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Theres a difference between a lack of supply being needing "affordable housing" and a lack of supply being there not being houses because there are a lot of houses empty out there. More than the unhoused population.

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Rivian guy obsessed with tech fads

try watching a movie that has blacks/ dark scenes in like the derelict part in Alien and on an IPS

its why all the dark scenes in movies now are actually blue

getting a big OLED monitor for a TV because smart TVs are for morons and CIA agents

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Armadillo Tank posted:

try watching a movie that has blacks/ dark scenes in like the derelict part in Alien and on an IPS
That's why TVs use VA panels.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
for as long as housing is a speculative commodity there will be unaffordable housing

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Do smart tvs still show you poo poo if you just keep it on 1 input?

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Theres a difference between a lack of supply being needing "affordable housing" and a lack of supply being there not being houses because there are a lot of houses empty out there. More than the unhoused population.

BRB - going out to tell all the homeless people in town to move to Detroit.

Apr 7, 2003

Smythe posted:

for as long as housing is a speculative commodity there will be unaffordable housing

This is a 1960s house within walking distance of mine, everything went to poo poo here too

Apr 7, 2003

Weembles posted:

I'd live in Detroit in a hot loving minute before I'd move to Texas

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
I’m eyeing this 80” Sony oled at Costco but we’re not ready for a new tv. The place where it will go probably needs new drywall and we want to do built ins.

Just waiting for the economy to crash so maybe skilled labor prices will come down. I wonder with all the tech layoffs if that will happen in my area.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Weembles posted:

Yeah thats the point I was making

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

You'd need a zillion houses to make rents go down because there is a virtually infinite amount of demand for housing as an investment asset that you'd have to fulfill first

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

bawfuls posted:

this isn’t happening without significant demand destruction ie a deep and brutal recession

housing in America is still woefully under-supplied and as some of those quotes Willa posted point out, high interest rates also depress new home construction

Why you gotta neg my pos?

Apr 7, 2003

Armadillo Tank posted:

try watching a movie that has blacks

wow

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

again you should only let your rats post

ask them if you should talk about the housing market where nipping your fingers etc means no

Apr 7, 2003

Armadillo Tank posted:

again you should only let your rats post

ask them if you should talk about the housing market where nipping your fingers etc means no

They live here rent free, why would I ask them about the housing market

Apr 7, 2003

You can tell rats are smarter than people, I don't know a single one who has a job or pays rent.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

You can tell rats are smarter than people, I don't know a single one who has a job or pays rent.

also they only live for a few years

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

This is a 1960s house within walking distance of mine, everything went to poo poo here too

at least you get a cool-rear end looking house for your money, there are places where this would get you a "big" 90's/00's tract house where the garage is front and center and the house is behind the garage

Where I live there are random like 4-8 new construction house blocks dispersed in old postwar neighborhood and it's stark how loving lazy and ugly new construction is even compared to postwar housing (which were also built to common plans). At least back then they would make houses out of brick, new houses look like the big bad wolf could blow them down and/or they'd burn ferociously due to all the vinyl used in construction. People are so desperate for housing construction companies don't bother with anything more complicated than "big cube with groveresque windows and huge garage out front" because people will gobble it up at $300,000 starting price.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Also they gently caress in giant piles and eat their young

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

my smart tv gives me free cable for some reason? two or three years after we bought it they added free streaming of pluto tv or similar

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I recently got an LG C2 OLED screen and its insane how nice having real contrast is

I usually don't believe in whatever new TV tech meaning anything, I'm an obsessive about picture quality and almost everything makes the image worse, but OLED HDR is the real deal

There's also software that lets you hack to get into the real picture settings and calibrate it if you have a calibration tool. it rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
honestly i live in a chicago and theres a pretty high chance i move to detroit when i want to own a house. id consider Minneapolis but no legal weed and when they do get it, itlll probs be as expensive as il.

bonus detroit is dominantly non-white. only 7% latino but i think itll be ok. i did go to their mexican area and it seemed so small.