Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

A Buttery Pastry posted:

they're going to eventually accept these forgeries as real, because they have to to maintain the illusion that the rest of them are too.

Just make forgeries and accept them as real at the same time like Baudolino and the guy in The Prague Cemetery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Grevling posted:

Just make forgeries and accept them as real at the same time like Baudolino and the guy in The Prague Cemetery.
Like the Donation of Constantine? Created not for the ostensible purpose of convincing people that Constantine had given the Pope dominion over the western half of the Roman Empire, but in reality to support the fiction that the empire had existed in the first place. By instigating centuries of heated debate about the authenticity of the document itself, the document shifted the Overton Window so far and thoroughly to the right that the very idea that the empire might not have existed at all became impossible to imagine, never mind utter.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

The donation of constantine is funny because they dont want to talk about the real ceding of the west to the pope which was zeno going “eh gently caress it i dont care anymore have fun with the goths leo!”

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Agean90 posted:

Rome is just a dumb knockoff of the inca tbh

Gotta love the Inca for tanking their Post Scarcity Command Economy with the perpetual upkeep of palatial estates belonging to mummies

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

that's just a firm adherence to property rights

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

War and Pieces posted:

Gotta love the Inca for tanking their Post Scarcity Command Economy with the perpetual upkeep of palatial estates belonging to mummies

Poor people just stole that stuff

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

Rebuild sirmium but that would mean letting in serbia

I don't think it ever went away.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Mameluke posted:

Poor people just stole that stuff

isn't the point that there weren't any poor people in the Incan empire?

Do skeletons and teeth back this up?

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

i say swears online posted:

that's just a firm adherence to property rights

In a completely palace (command) based economy the groves and farm-able terraces and supply depots and distribution centers owned in trust by said mummy was some of the only private property in the Empire. These were rivals to the state patronage of the Inka and the succession wars that wracked the Inkan Empire in its last generations were made worse because those mummies could marshal their resources to back this or that candidate.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

War and Pieces posted:

isn't the point that there weren't any poor people in the Incan empire?

Do skeletons and teeth back this up?

So a quick check of some abstracts on google scholar suggests that there was substantial inequality between metropole and colony in the empire, but that there was not substantial change in health/nutrition of conquered peoples post-conquest. AKA if you were poor before the Inca took over, you'd be poor after, but actual like starvation etc seems to have been pretty rare (e.g. we find skeletons who recover from injuries) and we don't think exacerbated by Inca conquest.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Grevling posted:

It's the shackles of civilization that convince us this is "gay" or "weak". Any warrior worth the name would gladly follow his mother into the afterlife.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
What were the actual mechanics behind late Han emperors not being able to say, command the palace guard to kill prime ministers who usurped their power? Were they right in being afraid that they couldn't command the soldiers of their own authority? Was their fear an invention used to explain that the emperors just didn't give a poo poo because they were content in their pleasure palaces?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Sherbert Hoover posted:

What were the actual mechanics behind late Han emperors not being able to say, command the palace guard to kill prime ministers who usurped their power? Were they right in being afraid that they couldn't command the soldiers of their own authority? Was their fear an invention used to explain that the emperors just didn't give a poo poo because they were content in their pleasure palaces?

We also have emperors who just didn't give a poo poo, Song Duzong for example. It's actually a narrative that Confucian histories love: the early emperors know where they came from and care deeply, and later emperors got too into pleasures of the palace and leave everything to their mean devious eunuchs who cut us virtuous scholars out.

Anyway the structure of Chinese governance always involved substantial amounts of decentralization - not just emperor and scholar officials, but also the eunuch faction, generals, and hereditary nobles. It was not particularly hard to convince people either that the current emperor is not doing a great job and that you'd be better off hitching your wagon to some official, or that the real way to serve the emperor is to just listen to this official over the emperor's orders, or the kind of most stereotypical, a government official has personal sway over the emperor and his information sources that allows them to just use the emperor.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

massive drama in the nerdsphere

https://www.science.org/content/article/paleontologist-accused-faking-data-dino-killing-asteroid-paper

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
dinosaurs confirmed fake

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
that seems like something where, if the data were fake, it would be immediately obvious to others in the field even if it pointed to the "correct" conclusion

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

indigi posted:

that seems like something where, if the data were fake, it would be immediately obvious to others in the field even if it pointed to the "correct" conclusion

i mean its a summer 2021 paper, this is pretty close to instant controversy

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

he says he can't show the original data because the guy that had it died

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Tulip posted:

i mean its a summer 2021 paper, this is pretty close to instant controversy

oh I know I’m just thinking out loud about why the guy would have to keep the data secret. maybe there's something I don't know about the way this stuff is measured

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it's also very possible nobody reads anything beyond the abstract

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

https://www.cnn.com/style/amp/coin-fake-emperor-real-intl-scli-scn/index.html

fight brewing between classicists and scientists over whether a dude named himself emperor of dacia in the third century.

alien drone excavating fossils from the late anthropocene radioisotope layer, finds a donald trump covid-19 challenge coin and dismisses as an obvious forgery

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

unless dinosaurs could write technically the asteroid impact is pre-history

the controversy over data is definitely post-Napoleonic

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

shut up! it's a binary! pre-westphalia/waterloo/appomattox/paris commune/treaty of paris/vatican II/nine eleven is this thread

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

War and Pieces posted:

i unironically love the Inca accidentally inventing corporations

"our mummies own a shitload of increasingly important property, but it is very difficult to contact them to request input on managing their assets, so I guess we'll just have to have a bunch of increasingly wealthy bureaucrats do it for them"

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
"so, what do you do for a living?" "oh, i'm CTO for God-Emperor Mummy #27 LLC" "oh man, that's pretty impressive, I'm just a senior data scientist for God-Emperor Mummy #38"

Orbis Tertius
Feb 13, 2007

War and Pieces posted:

reminds me of how the last Fall of Civilizations episode described the collapse of Bagan. the cultural caché associated with religious donation resulted in way too many temples getting built, which were exempt from land taxes, and this gradually smothered productive capacity until it reached a breaking point (as I understand it)

pretty much the dril candles meme, but temples

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

The cool thing about medieval Islam is you get Good Guy points for religious donations that double as public infrastructure. With the neat loophole that you can pay your descendents a salary for administering it perpetually

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waqf

War and Pieces has issued a correction as of 03:51 on Dec 11, 2022

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

War and Pieces posted:

The cool thing about medieval Islam is you get Good Guy points for religious donations that double as public infrastructure.

drat. almost like these guys were actually rome or something

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Continuing my reading about cataphracts, one of the ways that they were defeated by Romans was utilising lots of slingers with lead bullets, which brings up a question:

How do you get lead bullets? Like, is lead mined from lead ore, and then smelted into lead, then forged/shaped into lead bullets? What would lead bullets look like?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

gradenko_2000 posted:

How do you get lead bullets? Like, is lead mined from lead ore, and then smelted into lead, then forged/shaped into lead bullets?

Yes.

gradenko_2000 posted:

What would lead bullets look like?

Round.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

like cat turds

https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/244124

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

How do you get lead bullets? Like, is lead mined from lead ore, and then smelted into lead, then forged/shaped into lead bullets? What would lead bullets look like?

think of a cast that looks like a melon baller. it's hard to get perfectly spherical back then, as you can see in the link above, but when rounded on two axes it'll spin real good. when found, lead was maybe the literal easiest metal to smelt

some lead ball the size of a golf ball would absolutely ruin your day, may have enough force to knock you off a horse no matter your armor and without the horse you're hosed

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

i say swears online posted:

think of a cast that looks like a melon baller. it's hard to get perfectly spherical back then, as you can see in the link above, but when rounded on two axes it'll spin real good. when found, lead was maybe the literal easiest metal to smelt

some lead ball the size of a golf ball would absolutely ruin your day, may have enough force to knock you off a horse no matter your armor and without the horse you're hosed

I would just catch it. it's a golf ball they're tiny

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lead ammo is super easy for soldiers in the field to cast for themselves which makes logistics straightforward as well. This continued just about right up until the advent of breech loading firearms to one extent or another.

I have seen people cast their own fishing weights by dribbling molten lead into a pot of cold water, they automatically take on a teardrop shape. Super easy stuff to work with, just try not to inhale the fumes.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

my dad drilled holes on the underside of my pinewood derby car and filled them with melted fishing weights

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Why

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

weight distribution. you were allotted a block of wood and told to keep it under that weight, while devising the fastest car for the "course"

cut off a bunch to look like the red car in the foreground, then drilled into the undercarriage to make it heavier in front

i got second place, beaten by someone who took the entire block and painted it like a firetruck. physics :shrug:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fascinating, I thought it was a thing you ride in!

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

Man holding penis and flanked by leopards is world's oldest narrative carving

:randno::flaccid::randvince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Also the most common lead ore is galena, which is always contaminated with silver. If you smelt large bunches of lead ore, you'll also get a layer of silver as it solidifies. Lead being soft allows for all sorts of cool stuff you don't normally think about, like roof repairs of tile roofs in the ancient world were often done by just pressing a lead sheet to shape over the leaking section, good as new. Or just roofs that were overlapping bits of timber or stone then a bunch of lead sheets pressed to make it watertight.

The bible casually mentions something about the city of Tyre trading with somewhere in Spain for lead in Ezekiel, and Carthage was founded by colonists from Tyre. Carthage then goes on to control the two largest lead-producing areas of the Mediterranean, Spain and Sardinia. Control of those two lead-producing regions kept Carthage rich and powerful, selling the lead and getting all that silver production themselves. Ice cores from Greenland show the overall European lead production and events that disrupted lead production can be tracked to within a year or two, like the first Punic war, almost all lead production in Europe stopped then as the war drags on starts ramping up again (presumably coinciding with Carthage starting to hire more mercenaries and needing the silver), then when the Romans take control of an area that produces lead after Carthage's defeat, lead contamination in Greenland ice cores skyrocket

fermun has issued a correction as of 06:16 on Dec 11, 2022