Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J-Man X
Aug 18, 2004

Boxing Champion

Vise the Stompy posted:

Wow the anime ending today is playing dirty. Final shot of the episode itself is the future devil and then an ending no anime only watcher could possibly get.

Its a reference to the end of part 1 of Chainsaw man with Denji now living with the dogs and eating Makima and I think the coloring is how the future devil sees the world

I saw that ending and thought "there's no way that manga readers are not going to be loving obnoxious about this in the YouTube comments"

edit: drat it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Read the latest chapter

I loving love how insane and stupid everyone is, just total craziness, this lady is absolutely useless, what kind of person thinks going on a two hour monologue about Anemonies is in any way a loving romance option?!!?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

Read the latest chapter

I loving love how insane and stupid everyone is, just total craziness, this lady is absolutely useless, what kind of person thinks going on a two hour monologue about Anemonies is in any way a loving romance option?!!?

Asa Mitaka, apparently.

(The sad thing is, she's still pretty much the sanest character in the main cast.)

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I forget, when did the story first talk about the life cycle of demons [Die on Earth, go to hell. Die in hell, go to Earth]?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Mulva posted:

I forget, when did the story first talk about the life cycle of demons [Die on Earth, go to hell. Die in hell, go to Earth]?

Angel telling Aki after the bomb arc. Chapter 53

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Yeah, when he talks about how every Devil in Special Division remembers the sound of the chainsaw engine. Really get a two for one there on lore dumps. Man it's fun to have the anime folks around to take a fresh look and throw wild guesses at what the hell is happening.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I still think one of the biggest mysteries (unless I just missed something) was what power Makima was using to squish those poeple and all the stipulations it had (saying a name and killing both the target and the speaker, her hand motions, why she only used it on the henchmen). It's absolutely terrifying.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Eggplant Squire posted:

I still think one of the biggest mysteries (unless I just missed something) was what power Makima was using to squish those poeple and all the stipulations it had (saying a name and killing both the target and the speaker, her hand motions, why she only used it on the henchmen). It's absolutely terrifying.

It's the Punishment Devil. The manga just puts all the parts to understand that fact pretty far apart.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

chiasaur11 posted:

Makima did understand humans pretty well, including Denji, who she played like a kazoo despite not being able to use her powers. She also was aware that she didn't know everything and acted on that, doing things like just asking Denji why he was feeling bad in the early chapters.

I'd even say that she was capable of expressing love. Her last scene with Pochita was her just talking about wanting to live a happy life together.

She just didn't accept Denji and didn't understand Chainsaw Man, and between the two, she ruined everything.

Yoru, meanwhile, seems harmless and funny right now because she's an idiot and relatively low power, but she's still even more casual about murder than Power was, and pretty clearly trying to manipulate Asa in ways that aren't to Asa's benefit. She's even playing the guilt card that Santa relied on and that Makima broke Denji with. That's not looking clean and heroic, you know?

No, no she did not. Every non-Denji human she interacts with while not using her powers is immediately able to clock that there's something suspicious about her. Hell, even Denji noticed she was kind of "off" from the beginning, but she was hot and he was horny/desperate so he willfully ignored the obvious warning signs he had been picking up on. Makima likes humans, but liking something and understanding something are two very different things.

Makima interacting with humanity is like three cats in a trench coat attempting to sneak into a movie theater. The cats think their trench coat disguise makes them look like a normal human person, but every actual human can instantly tell that they're really three cats stacked on top of each other. But here's the thing: The cats also have a hypno ray so they can just mind control any human they see into letting them into whichever movie theater they want. So they cats never fail despite their human disguise being very bad so they never learn how to make a better human disguise because they never experience failure and thus realize that there are areas in which they need to improve.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

No, no she did not. Every non-Denji human she interacts with while not using her powers is immediately able to clock that there's something suspicious about her. Hell, even Denji noticed she was kind of "off" from the beginning, but she was hot and he was horny/desperate so he willfully ignored the obvious warning signs he had been picking up on. Makima likes humans, but liking something and understanding something are two very different things.

Makima interacting with humanity is like three cats in a trench coat attempting to sneak into a movie theater. The cats think their trench coat disguise makes them look like a normal human person, but every actual human can instantly tell that they're really three cats stacked on top of each other. But here's the thing: The cats also have a hypno ray so they can just mind control any human they see into letting them into whichever movie theater they want. So they cats never fail despite their human disguise being very bad so they never learn how to make a better human disguise because they never experience failure and thus realize that there are areas in which they need to improve.

That's why the Makima/Denji relationship as it is presented to the viewer is so great. Denji's sense of normal is absolutely hosed. We as the viewers can see how bad of an idea it is and how creepy Makima is being, but Denji is so hopeful that it's okay you wish he could get a W even though you know it won't happen. It's a slow moving car crash as he gets wrapped around her finger.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Donkringel posted:

That's why the Makima/Denji relationship as it is presented to the viewer is so great. Denji's sense of normal is absolutely hosed. We as the viewers can see how bad of an idea it is and how creepy Makima is being, but Denji is so hopeful that it's okay you wish he could get a W even though you know it won't happen. It's a slow moving car crash as he gets wrapped around her finger.

'Gets' implies a much slower progression.

Makima's got Denji on a leash from chapter 3 on, and that's being generous. The only thing going slow is Denji's growth into a weird-but-rounded human being. And that's one of the most interesting things about how messed up that relationship was.

Makima did everything she could to help Denji grow as a person, which, until the reveal, felt very odd with how many red flags she was showing. She was even letting him develop away from her in a lot of ways, with her encouraging him to make friendships and a found family, as opposed to his starting position of just caring about her and Pochita. If you look back, you even see that, until the Gun arc, she was usually encouraging him to think, with her talks about life, love, and movies all being set up to offer Denji room to form his own opinions. (Contrast with his disastrous Asa date, where she was telling him what to think from the jump.)

She did Denji more good than anyone except Pochita, and despite her best efforts, she wasn't able to take it all away.

As I've said before, Makima is irony central in Chainsaw Man, creating the only person who could kill her by ignoring the only person who could give her the equal relationship she wanted. But then, that sort of self-sabotage does seem to be in her nature. Her treatment of Kishibe includes frequent moves to make him more subordinate, even as she seems to acknowledge that the reason she likes him is that he's someone out of her control.

Another reason to be interested in how Denji and Nayuta are getting along, I suppose.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Another reason to be interested in how Denji and Nayuta are getting along, I suppose.

The worst thing about Chainsaw Man is that there needs to be more Chainsaw Man

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Donkringel posted:

chiasaur11 posted:

'Gets' implies a much slower progression.

Makima's got Denji on a leash from chapter 3 on, and that's being generous. The only thing going slow is Denji's growth into a weird-but-rounded human being. And that's one of the most interesting things about how messed up that relationship was.

Makima did everything she could to help Denji grow as a person, which, until the reveal, felt very odd with how many red flags she was showing. She was even letting him develop away from her in a lot of ways, with her encouraging him to make friendships and a found family, as opposed to his starting position of just caring about her and Pochita. If you look back, you even see that, until the Gun arc, she was usually encouraging him to think, with her talks about life, love, and movies all being set up to offer Denji room to form his own opinions. (Contrast with his disastrous Asa date, where she was telling him what to think from the jump.)

She did Denji more good than anyone except Pochita, and despite her best efforts, she wasn't able to take it all away.

As I've said before, Makima is irony central in Chainsaw Man, creating the only person who could kill her by ignoring the only person who could give her the equal relationship she wanted. But then, that sort of self-sabotage does seem to be in her nature. Her treatment of Kishibe includes frequent moves to make him more subordinate, even as she seems to acknowledge that the reason she likes him is that he's someone out of her control.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

Makima's got Denji on a leash from chapter 3 on, and that's being generous.

Power got Denji on a leash few hours after they met. Recognizing Denji's wants and exploiting them to manipulate him is bar so low, it's buried underground. (And Asa still somehow managed to screw it up. :allears:)

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Terper posted:

We're up to at least two.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

LostRook posted:

We're up to at least two.

Possibly three. We know there's at least two because one killed yuko while Denji was asleep on his pile dogs, and we also know the head of the Devil hunting club is claiming to be chainsaw man, but we don't know if the Chainsaw Man who killed Yuko is also the head of the Devil hunting club or if they're a separate different Chainsaw Man.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Maybe I'm Chainsaw Man!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Eggplant Squire posted:

She was using Tendo's contract with the punishment devil, and having those prisoners give their lives to take the lives of others.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Terper posted:

I'm just glad Fujimoto put a little shot of Nayuta with Denji a couple chapters ago.

I still feel like he's hiding something by not showing more, but knowing that Denji's got at least one thing going right in his non-Chainsaw life is reassuring.

He's still worse off than he's been since chapter 1 in some ways, but "Denji has to make money for his family on top of school and Chainsaw-ing, so he's perpetually exhausted" is much better than "Denji's got nothing except Chainsawing."

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Terper posted:

Maybe I'm Chainsaw Man!

Finale of the series is a reenactment of the end of Spartacus only it’s Denji’s painstakingly planned public reveal of his identity being ruined.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
....Oh god, one of the fakes will absolutely reveal themselves as a Chainsaw Man before Denji has a chance to and hog all the glory.

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Dec 14, 2022

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Lt. Lizard posted:

....Oh god, one of the fakes will absolutely reveal themselves as a Chainsaw Man before Denji has a chance to and hog all the glory.

Denji will 100%run and go fight that person ASAP

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

We're going to get Smart Chainsaw Man who uses his chains to swing around like Beam was suggesting and everyone is going to hate him.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Thanks I totally missed the punishment connection.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Electric Phantasm posted:

We're going to get Smart Chainsaw Man who uses his chains to swing around like Beam was suggesting and everyone is going to hate him.

Yeah, but will they fight with absolute psychotic abandon?

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
There is Chainsaw Man that is brutally cunning and there is Chainsaw Man that is cunningly brutal.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

He is more chainsaw than man, now...

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

SirKibbles posted:

Denji will 100%run and go fight that person ASAP

Somehow this results in Denji being labeled as the imposter Chainsaw Man.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Imposter chainsaw man is somehow linked to Yoshida and I must know how.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Yeah, he wasn't shown sleeping when fake Chainsaw man killed Yuko, so he could BE fake chainsaw man somehow. No idea how or why he'd be doing something like that though.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Yeah, he wasn't shown sleeping when fake Chainsaw man killed Yuko, so he could BE fake chainsaw man somehow. No idea how or why he'd be doing something like that though.

I can't let Denji out himself as Chainsaw Man, so I'll out myself as Chainsaw Man! Then nobody will believe him!!

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

All he said is he works for “an organization” and that he just started going to school there. Seems equally likely he is truly unaware of the imposter, or the imposters existence is being monitored.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
An organization that specifically wants to keep Denji happy which to me says they don't want the full Pochita version of Chainsaw Man running around randomly decapitating people and generally being unstoppable again

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

An organization that specifically wants to keep Denji happy which to me says they don't want the full Pochita version of Chainsaw Man running around randomly decapitating people and generally being unstoppable again

They want to keep Denji from revealing his identity. I'm not so sure on the happy, from the fact he still needs to scam homeless people for money.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

https://twitter.com/dokuodoku/status/1603351476616966144?s=46&t=QwAIONdiRnzU85a4hk7yOQ

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

chiasaur11 posted:

They want to keep Denji from revealing his identity. I'm not so sure on the happy, from the fact he still needs to scam homeless people for money.

I don't have a sub so I can't go back and check but I thought specifically they wanted to keep him from revealing his identity because they want him to have a quiet life

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
He said they just want him to live a peaceful life and don't want him to turn into Chainsaw Man at all. Hooking him up with Asa was an attempt to remove his only stated reason for hunting demons.

It's rather chicken and egg and completely bullshit.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Bread Set Jettison posted:

fake chainsaw made by octopus devil. no teeth just a bunch of tiny little tentacles spinning very fast and slapping you in the face

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So here's a weird question that I'm probably going to have to re-read the series to get a satisfying answer to any time soon: did the lady with the snake demon contract actually die? I can't remember how that fight went, but watching the anime I've only now noticed that her eyes are red and distinctly not human looking which is probably just the snake theme going on; but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Nuebot posted:

So here's a weird question that I'm probably going to have to re-read the series to get a satisfying answer to any time soon: did the lady with the snake demon contract actually die? I can't remember how that fight went, but watching the anime I've only now noticed that her eyes are red and distinctly not human looking which is probably just the snake theme going on; but still.

Snake ate her after she got captured.