Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
What in the hell, you guys. Even if "space man vs. dinosaurs" is a The Asylum-rear end premise, it's also a really dope premise. That movie looks dumb and I am very excited for it.

Like, in the trailer before the dinosaur reveal I expected 65 to refer to the shots he has left in his space gun or whatever, and the monster being something generic. This is better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It makes me lament we never got Frank Cho’s Guns & Dinos comic book.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Or Barry Sonnenfeld's adaptation of Grant Morrison's Dinosaurs vs Aliens.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

He spoken about how he has serious issues with watching his performances, maybe his solution is to make movies he would never want to watch.

Or he's taken a page from Robert Pattinson and only appearing in movies that should he suddenly die on the toilet would force the Academy to posthumously honor him while playing clips from the most ridiculous poo poo.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Missing the obvious IP that's crying out for a reboot here

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
On a different note, can anyone explain to me what the gently caress is going on with the current release of Father Stu? I see that it's just been released in Canada, but it came out back in April in the US, when I remember Chapo Trap House devoted a whole episode to making fun of how lovely it was. Then I read up a bit on it and it's apparently a re-cut release entitled Father Stu: Reborn that is PG-13 instead of R?

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Grendels Dad posted:

What in the hell, you guys. Even if "space man vs. dinosaurs" is a The Asylum-rear end premise, it's also a really dope premise. That movie looks dumb and I am very excited for it.

There's a movie MST3K riffed called Women of the Prehistoric Planet that I would really like to see remade. It's unbelievably cheap looking and has a lot of 60s style liberal racism, but the premise is pretty fun.

There's a convoy of spaceships traveling at light speed when one has an emergency and crash lands on a nearby planet. The next part of the story is told simultaneously as part of it is in the shops who turn around to go look for survivors, and the other is the story of the survivors. Because the ships are traveling at relativistic speeds, decades have passed from the perspective of the crashed ship before the rescue so arrives.

Some more drama and adventure happens before the rescue shop has to leave stranding a couple on the Prehistoric planet which is revealed to be Earth.

Even though it's a lovely movie, it is a much higher concept than this looks.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

MeinPanzer posted:

On a different note, can anyone explain to me what the gently caress is going on with the current release of Father Stu? I see that it's just been released in Canada, but it came out back in April in the US, when I remember Chapo Trap House devoted a whole episode to making fun of how lovely it was. Then I read up a bit on it and it's apparently a re-cut release entitled Father Stu: Reborn that is PG-13 instead of R?

Lot harder to organize a church viewing when it's R rated.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

MeinPanzer posted:

Not sure what you need explained to you, you got it in one.

duz posted:

Lot harder to organize a church viewing when it's R rated.

Well, unless it’s The Passion of the Christ.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Gotcha, so it's just being repackaged and rereleased in the holiday season to entice those Catholic meemaws and peppeps into the theatre to see a nice family picture.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Probably the only other thing is that, at least as the mentioned Chapo review pointed out, it's not so weird that the movie came out. It's just weird that Father Stu had some actual money behind it. Usually a movie like it would have had the budget of a Hallmark film and been out regionally for a couple of weeks and be seen mostly by church group pre-sales. I assume since they put more into it they're more desperate than usual to squeeze every cent out of it. Especially after they realized that church groups might put up with a nice, gory god-fearing R but not a swearing, vulgar R.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

Missing the obvious IP that's crying out for a reboot here

Now we’re talking.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Might have been reason that Henry Cavill decided to stop pursuing Superman...
Henry Cavill’s Next Play: ‘Warhammer 40,000’ Series for Amazon

quote:

The actor, who Wednesday officially hung up his Man of Steel cape after Warner Bros. announced it is going in a new Superman direction thanks to DC Studio heads James Gunn and Peter Safran, is attached to star and executive produce a series adaptation of Warhammer 40,000, the popular science-fiction fantasy miniature wargame that is set up at Amazon.

Amazon is in final talks for the rights to the game, produced by Games Workshop, after months of negotiations and fending off rival companies that also sought the rights.

No writers or showrunners are attached, although Vertigo Entertainment is attached to also executive produce.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
So, he's playing Eisenhorn, right?

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Apparently his dream role is Valdor, but I can't see a Heresy era show being greenlit.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
LOL, they greenlit the goddamn LotR appendices, at least The Heresy has more meat to pull from for storytelling.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Looks like this will be the first thing he'll have a producer credit on. Warhammer 40k think probably bit hard to adapt as a lot of it is pretty grim dark cringy if you play it straight, and don't show it's intentionally over the top and at it's best pretty satirical and stupid. Hopefully what ever story they choose it includes a lot of the orks.

Anyway hard to know if it will turn out good or not, but certainly be interesting to see how it turns out if it ends up happening. With Cavill behind it seems like it probably has a pretty decent chance.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Anonymous Zebra posted:

He'll be playing Kitten.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Geez, as if Cavill isn't husbando material enough as it is

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

There are new trailers for 2023 films attached to screenings of Avatar 2 tomorrow- one for the Barbie movie, the other for Christopher Nolan's biopic about J. Robert Oppenheimer

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I feel like games workshop is more anal than the Tolkien estate

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

FlamingLiberal posted:

There are new trailers for 2023 films attached to screenings of Avatar 2 tomorrow- one for the Barbie movie, the other for Christopher Nolan's biopic about J. Robert Oppenheimer

One of these will rule, and it is Barbie

The other one will probably be good too, but not as good

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Geez, as if Cavill isn't husbando

Is that a male waifu?

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

A lot of 40k games have brought on Black Library writers to do the plot and characters. I could see the same thing happening here.

I doubt they'll go with a couple of weird mormons who happen to be in JJ Abram's rolodex.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
If nothing else GW are likely to be even more responsive to Amazon giving them a metric rear end-ton of cash.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

IshmaelZarkov posted:

Apparently his dream role is Valdor, but I can't see a Heresy era show being greenlit.

A proper Horus Heresy series would be incredible but there is no way in hell it could ever get made

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Half of Transformers fans upset that Rise of The Beasts might be an attempt at a more coherent Revenge of The Fallen with a bit of Dark of The Moon mixed in, based on alleged leaks from test screenings. Pete Davidson apparently will make sex jokes too.

https://twitter.com/seibertron/status/1603237298883420160?s=20&t=BZsnb0hWbvvcgDEeckJaNA

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I mean they had loving minstrel bots in....whichever that one with the Romeo and Juliet law card was

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
They sure do cram a lot of weird poo poo into movies about robots fighting.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I think Bay just likes to constantly remind people he's an awful person.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

I mean they had loving minstrel bots in....whichever that one with the Romeo and Juliet law card was

Those were two different movies. Minstrel bots were in Revenge of The Fallen and Romeo and Juliet thing was in Age of Extinction.

I hate that I know that.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
There has never been a director with less trust in his audience than Michael Bay. I mean I know he famously talks about "making movies for 12 yo boys" or whatever, but somehow that hypothetical 12yo boy is always a future ephebophile, with Jim Crow racial politics and an inability to understand jokes that don't reference Monster energy drinks.

Pain & Gain was fun tho.

E: please do not summon SMG, I don't care about your gimmick

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Alan Smithee posted:

They get angry when you say 40k instead of 40,000.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

They get angry when you say 40k instead of 40,000.

lol. Pretty much everything I've heard about games workshops makes them sound like the worst company, that seems to go out of it's way to lose money and piss of it's fans.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Henry Cavill needs to make If the Emperor had a Text to Speech Device and play Kitten

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Whatever happened to the last Superman?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He went on to play Superman

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

dr_rat posted:

lol. Pretty much everything I've heard about games workshops makes them sound like the worst company, that seems to go out of it's way to lose money and piss of it's fans.

They pretty much were until a few years ago, then they had a change of CEO and kinda started turning it around, actually doing poo poo like 'market research' and 'talking to people outside their HQ' and realising that video games make money.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

dr_rat posted:

GW's stock price has increased by 1600% in the last 6 years, but you're right about the second thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

They still are pretty poo poo. Remember that the reason the aforementioned If The Emperor Had A Text To Speech Device is now on permanent hiatus is because they decided to go "zero tolerance" on unauthorized fan series.

And while their new "give our license to anyone who pays instead of making deals with specific big publishers" gave us pretty good stuff like Daemonhunters and Vermintide/Darktide, it also gave us a poo poo load of mobile shovelware.