Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Was just asked but I think only the first 30 minutes and the ending mhad narration, right? My friend hated all the narration in the first movie and wants to be prepared to groan at it if it lasts the whole film

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

SadisTech posted:

Pandora's a moon, not a planet, by the way. I don't think we've ever been told the name of the gas giant it orbits in the movies. I'd be really interested to know more about the whole system where these films are set. If it's 5 years in cryo-sleep, the distance from Earth would depend on what percentage of light speed the ships are reaching during the trip. Since the deceleration burn didn't seem to last all that long, it can't be too fast - but there aren't any good exoplanet candidates that close, that we know of.

It's explicitly Alpha Centauri A.

I've always kind of hoped the series ends with the hypertech Na'vi empire rolling by to check on their extreme glampers, and being very irritated with the humans loving with them.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah in the first movie, maybe only the extended cut, Grace says the ring stone formations are the result of extreme magnetic activity near the tree. Also, Na’vi are evolutionary descendants of the primates whose frontal limbs began fusing together, thus why they don’t have six limbs.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Bugblatter posted:

Yeah in the first movie, maybe only the extended cut, Grace says the ring stone formations are the result of extreme magnetic activity near the tree. Also, Na’vi are evolutionary descendants of the primates whose frontal limbs began fusing together, thus why they don’t have six limbs.

Ah, I never saw the extended cut. Good to know.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

For box office numbers I guess the World Cup is still going on. I think it’s over today.

I was pleasantly surprised at how well the kids “worked” in the movie. They were all believable “human”.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Was just asked but I think only the first 30 minutes and the ending mhad narration, right? My friend hated all the narration in the first movie and wants to be prepared to groan at it if it lasts the whole film

I think Jake connects a couple of scenes here and there and gives the audience some knowledge (like about the whales) but it’s not much

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Well I learned something new about TWOW's production from this interview (timestamped 6m30s)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOaCG2r47-A&t=390s

Jim and his crew had fully functional mockups of the sea creatures built for the actors to interact with that could do all the flying, diving, hydrobatics and poo poo IN THE WATER.

:psyduck:

I want to see that 4-jet skimwing mockup in a behind-the-scenes featurette, lmao.

teagone fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Dec 18, 2022

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Worst part in the entire film was when the two characters who should know for sure there is neuralconnectivity with all of Pandora's organisms say some dumb poo poo so the movie can tell us how good alternative medicine is.

Three years of a pandemic. All the lives saved by the medicines developed through it and all I can say is that I hate this loving poo poo!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It was a political scene. Anyway Kate Winslet was right they should not have come.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The humans tech is shown over and over to not be good or to be limited in its goodness. For example the tech can 3d image a whale brain but they don’t know anything about the whales. Or little. They 3d images spider and could not see anything or anything they wanted. They 3d imaged kiri and couldn’t see what was the issue.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Human tech just doesn't loving get it.

[edit] Watching the Jim Cameron & Robert Rodriguez directors on directors on Variety's YT and RR mentioned the cut of TWOW he had watched prior to filming their episode was 3 1/2 hours long. Wanna see that cut pls.

teagone fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Dec 18, 2022

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I tried to watch Avatar yesterday in high frame rate and 3d IMAX. I was getting a headache but my wife nearly threw up, and about the time we got to the water area we had to leave the theater. In the hallways there were people doubled over garbage cans vomiting.

So anyway gonna give that a week or so to forget and then maybe watch it in 2d from the very back of the theater some time after christmas.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
Yeahhhhh I'm going to go with there is a big issue with the projector setup at your local cinema, dude

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

i watched in 3d and it in no way caused any issues. i think you all should complain to the cinema operator

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah I think in that particular theatre the stuff wasn’t set up well? But I’m not gonna risk it again, I’ll just watch it like it’s a normal movie.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

Ccs posted:

Yeah I think in that particular theatre the stuff wasn’t set up well? But I’m not gonna risk it again, I’ll just watch it like it’s a normal movie.

On the Blank Check podcast, the hosts got a screwed up projector set up where they first screwed up the projection where the movie looked off by having the colors shifted incorrectly and then screwed it up further by inverting the 3d, where the background went fore and the foreground went back.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

SadisTech posted:

Or what the giant circular stone ribs around each Spirit Tree imply, for that matter.

I've seen these brought up a couple times in the last several pages. It's stated in the first film that those stone ribs occur around the Flux Vortex i.e. the point of highest electromagnetism caused by unobtainium (and, not coincidentally, where the Tree of Souls is)

Those stone ribs are mountains that have been warped into shape by strong electromagnetism, I don't think there's anything more to read into it than that (beyond, again, the Tree of Souls existing at a geologically potent place)

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

SadisTech posted:

I just listened to the Weeknd end credits song on Spotify to see if it was actually as weak as it seemed or if it was just bad by comparison to the movie it followed. I'm sure it will surprise no-one to learn that it was actually bad. Some nice choral stuff at the start but then it's just a wet fart when the lyrics hit.

e: that's 2 for 2 misses on the end credits songs now, the first movie one was awful when it came in out of nowhere over the nice shots of trees. I wonder if it's Cameron himself picking them?
They need to get Aurora for the next movie's credit song. Her ethereal vocals would be a perfect match for the setting, and she already has multiple songs about environmentalism and having compassion for all living things/the planet. She can also match whatever tone they're going for.

eco anthem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUIIkBZVzTU
upbeat pop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulSuxYUzmRQ
tender introspective: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bdasfyaPjA

Hell, even that album is titled The Gods We Can Touch.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Given the tone so far the Earth of this setting has got to be downright Mordor. And I'm betting the ruling class are somewhere between Elysium and the goddamn Celestial Dragons.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

I’m taking a pee break at the two hour mark and just holy gently caress, see this in 3D in a theatre and turn your brain off for 3 hours.

Pure dopamine drip.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

Optimus Subprime posted:

On the Blank Check podcast, the hosts got a screwed up projector set up where they first screwed up the projection where the movie looked off by having the colors shifted incorrectly and then screwed it up further by inverting the 3d, where the background went fore and the foreground went back.

My IMAX 3D HFR showing had an issue where the right eye would desync from the left eye in like 15-second bursts, it was really disorienting but it stopped around the time that the whale showed up. I hate to say it but the tech is not quiiiite there yet for mass consumption, unless we make "projectionist" a real job again

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Given the tone so far the Earth of this setting has got to be downright Mordor. And I'm betting the ruling class are somewhere between Elysium and the goddamn Celestial Dragons.
We know it's crowded, polluted, and full of advertisements. Same as now but more thoroughly degraded.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Clear_Blue posted:

Short take:
Entertaining movie, looks stunning (especially the underwater visuals), but the premise of Skypeople vs natives on Pandora PART 2 offers little originality. I kept thinking, will Avatar 3 be a desert of ice level part of Pandora.
No you don't get it. This movie was Cameron going back to doing what he does best, sinking ships. James Cameron loves sinking ships. And the ocean. But mostly sinking ships. I expect to watch Avatar 3: Titanic 2. The Titanic is the largest space ship full of colonists coming to Pandora. Kiri somehow finds some ancient ancestor Na'vi tech and blows the Titanic 2 out of the sky with a hurled comet (space iceberg), and the ship crashes into the ocean and sinks.

teagone posted:

Well I learned something new about TWOW's production from this interview (timestamped 6m30s)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOaCG2r47-A&t=390s

Jim and his crew had fully functional mockups of the sea creatures built for the actors to interact with that could do all the flying, diving, hydrobatics and poo poo IN THE WATER.

:psyduck:

I want to see that 4-jet skimwing mockup in a behind-the-scenes featurette, lmao.

Ok I want to really see that behind the scenes footage. That's nuts.

Deadly Ham Sandwich fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Dec 18, 2022

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

If this movie were like two and a half hours, the visuals and the scope of that would have been enough to charm me and make it something that I would recommend to people. The colonel is an entertaining character, and while Pandora is pretty tame for a science fiction alien setting, it is interesting to see it rendered in such detail.

Unfortunately I couldn't give a single gently caress about Jake's kids, especially because the escalation at the third act is instigated by the exact same thing in the first act, i.e loving off somewhere they shouldn't and getting kidnapped. That final conflict at the end went on forever and they were just switching up who was handcuffed where and it really wore me down.

I would love to see these visuals, this action, and this direction applied towards a more inventive and creative science fiction world. If we could get James Cameron to put as much effort into a Blindsight movie as he did for this, it would easily be one of the greatest science fiction movies ever.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

mutantIke posted:

My IMAX 3D HFR showing had an issue where the right eye would desync from the left eye in like 15-second bursts, it was really disorienting but it stopped around the time that the whale showed up. I hate to say it but the tech is not quiiiite there yet for mass consumption, unless we make "projectionist" a real job again

Had almost an identical issue last night at a flagship AMC lol. I couldn't tell if they were able to fix it or if my eyes adjusted. Subtitles were unreadable.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

teagone posted:

Human tech just doesn't loving get it.

How are the humans losing when at the start of the movie the retro burn from their rockets is enough to decimate vast swaths of forest. The humans obviously don't give a gently caress about ruining the environment so why act precious and engage in boots on the ground warfare.

They literally have immortality juice and the ability to upload consciousness to vat grown bodies. Do they just have a humiliation fetish or something? Are we going to get to Avatar 5 and it turns out the whole time this war was just a reality television show with producers sending clone armies across the galaxy to see authentic alien action?

FacelessVoid
Jul 8, 2009
Didn't care for the first Avatar but thought this one was definitely better. It's was still pretty dumb. But I liked the characters a lot more and thought the drama was a little more nuanced. I'm definitely interested in what happens next, where as the first one I couldn't care less. Especially want to to know more about Earth.

My favorite parts were crab bots and the scene when they roast a whole forest with one of the interstellar ship's antimatter driver. You know the humans aren't loving around anymore.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Did that landing zone become the city they show later ?

FacelessVoid
Jul 8, 2009

Tea Party Crasher posted:

How are the humans losing when at the start of the movie the retro burn from their rockets is enough to decimate vast swaths of forest. The humans obviously don't give a gently caress about ruining the environment so why act precious and engage in boots on the ground warfare.

They literally have immortality juice and the ability to upload consciousness to vat grown bodies. Do they just have a humiliation fetish or something? Are we going to get to Avatar 5 and it turns out the whole time this war was just a reality television show with producers sending clone armies across the galaxy to see authentic alien action?

My guess it's similar to the reason they didn't do it in the first movie. Pretty sure there was a line about them not being able to just nuke them for ethical reasons. The whole Avatar project was a PR stunt to begin with. They probably got permission to only wipe out enough forest to make a permanent settlement.

Another reason why I want to know more about what's happening on Earth.

quote:

Pretty sure. That's why the area around the city looks completely barren.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

euphronius posted:

That would make sense, it was completely free of vegetation. That's probably why they were does industrial vehicles pushing burnt debris away.

From both the end of the last movie and this one, my assumption is the principal advantage the navi have over humans is an environmental one. But stuff like the massive train and railway they built, or an actual City with roads and trucks and everything, gives me the impression that humans already have a mastery for destroying the environment and altering it to their whims which would invalidate the navi advantage.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Also the human factions are evil but I don’t think they are (yet) completely eliminationalsit (not on spellcheck idk)

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
This one just ripped off Dune even worse!

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Bedshaped posted:

Worst part in the entire film was when the two characters who should know for sure there is neuralconnectivity with all of Pandora's organisms say some dumb poo poo so the movie can tell us how good alternative medicine is.

Three years of a pandemic. All the lives saved by the medicines developed through it and all I can say is that I hate this loving poo poo!

All diseases can be cured by shining sunlight directly into the butthole

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Then I am confused as to what the end goal is, because I feel like what they understand about the interconnected nature of the planet and the cultural attitudes of the natives are going to make it impossible for the last of the human population and the navi to peacefully cohabitate.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Bogus Adventure posted:

All diseases can be cured by shining sunlight directly into the butthole

Which butthole? Navi have three

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Which butthole? Navi have three

Always choose the Third Brown Eye

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Then I am confused as to what the end goal is, because I feel like what they understand about the interconnected nature of the planet and the cultural attitudes of the natives are going to make it impossible for the last of the human population and the navi to peacefully cohabitate.

They dont want to peacefully cohabitate they want to dominate and subjugate. Jake Sully is a terrorist leader they want to elimate for strategic purposes, the larger human colony plans/story arent really the focus of this movie, its a personal revenge quest masquerading as a somewhat special ops man hunt. Its really small in scale compared to the first movie which kind of surprised me. The humans also dont just genocide on a whim every Navi on the planet because I dont think they are quite Star Wars Empire "planet killer" level crazy just Manifest Destiny level crazy.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

AccountSupervisor posted:

They dont want to peacefully cohabitate they want to dominate and subjugate. Jake Sully is a terrorist leader they want to elimate for strategic purposes, the larger human colony plans/story arent really the focus of this movie, its a personal revenge quest masquerading as a somewhat special ops man hunt. Its really small in scale compared to the first movie which kind of surprised me. The humans also dont just genocide on a whim every Navi on the planet because I dont think they are quite Star Wars Empire "planet killer" level crazy just Manifest Destiny level crazy.

I get what you're saying here, and I will say that my favorite parts of the movie where the quasi-ghost story of the colonel being brought back to life and being able to react to his own murder and seek revenge. The psychology of that situation was interesting, and I think could have been a great story if it were more narrowly focused on that angle.
But the colonel's opportunity for revenge, and the actions that Jake's family takes are motivated by the larger human navi conflict which I find myself confused by.
If I could play armchair director for a moment, I would like to recommend that maybe instead of continuing the colonial conflict, the movie could double down and narrow in on that revenge/hunt plot. Instead of the colonel being resurrected by someone else for a mission, maybe he got Navi body life insurance for himself and is personally funding the expedition to hunt down Jake safari style. Just eliminate the space opera stuff all together.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
I unironically enjoy Cameron's attempts, the train robbery especially, to hit the audience over the head with historical allegory. I don't want a subtle blockbuster, I want more RRR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Gorman Thomas posted:

I unironically enjoy Cameron's attempts, the train robbery especially, to hit the audience over the head with historical allegory. I don't want a subtle blockbuster, I want more RRR.

The parts that gave me the most dopamine in the theater were all the intense and creative ways humans just get slaughtered on mass. I laughed my rear end off when the captain got pinned under the harpoon wire.