Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

My 16th month old has been waking up twice a night now for the last two weeks and I'm exhausted. It seems every other month there is a "sleep regression". I'm approaching the end of my rope. I've never done well on little sleep and this is killing me.

Hopefully this ends soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

External Organs posted:

7 years old isn't too young for therapy for anxiety btw - those are the kind of kids my wife LOVES (she's a psychologist). I bet this was all exacerbated by the pandemic, she would've been what, 4 or 5 when it first started? It does sound stressful.

What makes your wife love these kinds of kids? Because they have the tools to solve it themselves and just need a little nudge towards success?

She definitely has anxiety issues just like me and my wife (doesn't like failing, nervous in new situations, shy, etc.). We've talked about it with her pediatrician because she was having nightly sleepwalking episodes for a couple weeks when school started that we thought were triggered by anxiety. And while therapy never came up, we did get a bunch of resources on dealing with anxiety in children.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Good-Natured Filth posted:

What makes your wife love these kinds of kids? Because they have the tools to solve it themselves and just need a little nudge towards success?

She definitely has anxiety issues just like me and my wife (doesn't like failing, nervous in new situations, shy, etc.). We've talked about it with her pediatrician because she was having nightly sleepwalking episodes for a couple weeks when school started that we thought were triggered by anxiety. And while therapy never came up, we did get a bunch of resources on dealing with anxiety in children.

She just feels like they are usually pretty successful with therapy - they generally have straightforward goals and make good progress towards them. To my understanding a lot of it is skill based too, so there's lots of anxiety management methods she teaches. She also has generalized anxiety herself so she can identify with them pretty well. Every therapist is different though.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Brawnfire posted:

Been having a lot of root beer and butterscotch Dum-Dums because my daughter doesn't like those ones

Those are the best ones though, so you're winning here.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I tried not very hard at all to tell her that! Might've been hard to understand me with my mouth full tho

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

remigious posted:

I am trying very hard to remain zen about toys that my boy has shown zero interest in. One of these days I will gift him that special stuffy or toy that he will be inseparable from and I won’t be able to predict which one it will be!

If you find The One True Stuffie on the road, kill it.

We thought we had it with the koala bear (or as the ogre toddler puts it his "Ooh-Ah-All") he was inseperatable for a good two months from. Welp, friendship with Ooh-Ah-All ended now my sister's bug flashlight is my best friend.

Speaking of my daughter, off to go pick her up from horsehumper's after almost three weeks with no contact. This'll be great. Doubly so because our latest attorney did sweet gently caress all for a month but holy poo poo did they hammer out a letter to opposing council within a few minutes of us telling them to gently caress off and refund us.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
My kid doesn't have a favorite flavor of dum dums

He'll ask for one, unwrap it, carry it around, look at it, show it to everybody, give it just enough licks to get sticky, then put it down on the couch or something and forget about it. It'll sit there for hours, days, weeks, but the second I throw it out he'll want it back.

To his credit, he listens pretty good now when I give him a plate and ask him to put it down on it.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Also the stuffed animal hit of Christmas is this thing:

https://www.amazon.com/Ontel-Stuffed-Shimmering-Rainbow-Unicorn/dp/B08GSRMGKG?th=1

It's a stuffed unicorn with a belly light that projects stars and rainbows and poo poo on the ceiling. He gets very excited about it and tries to show it to you by shining the light directly into your eyeballs. That's how he woke me up yesterday morning.

Bonus points was that he spiked a mysterious 102 fever during the night so I was expecting to wake up to an miserable sick child. Instead he was normal happy self with no fever :shrug:

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
The beloved stuffy in our house is a rotating position, a parade of stuffed cats with increasingly adorable names:

Puzzle Piece
Sprinkle
Bunderbul
Pineapple
Rainbow Christmas (the drabbest gray tabby in the world)

Getting to learn a new cat's name is a real delight here.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

We tried to go to a toddler music class this morning, which he’s been to before.

Went horribly, crying, refusing to participate, running away. He said he was hungry so we walked across the street to the “Juice Bar”
and all they had was a $5 Vegan Organic Chocolate chip cookie. Which he also hated.

We got back to class just in time to help clean all the instruments up and put them away, which he enjoyed. Weird.

At least he ate his lunch afterwards. Maybe he was just hungry.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

wizzardstaff posted:

The beloved stuffy in our house is a rotating position, a parade of stuffed cats with increasingly adorable names:

Puzzle Piece
Sprinkle
Bunderbul
Pineapple

My favorite was a dog named "Alna Bi"

Pronounced AHL-NAH BEE

No further details. Alna Bi. Wrote it on the tag.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

My toddler loves the ghibli movies, especially Ponyo. Most of all, she identifies with Ponyo’s father for some reason. She goes around all over pointing to herself saying “dada conyo”, which is what she calls Ponyo’s dad. Our family speaks Spanish, so it sounds like she’s saying “dad vagina”. We all find it funny now but we often run into other Spanish speakers at the park and they all give us looks

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

BaseballPCHiker posted:

My 16th month old has been waking up twice a night now for the last two weeks and I'm exhausted. It seems every other month there is a "sleep regression". I'm approaching the end of my rope. I've never done well on little sleep and this is killing me.

Hopefully this ends soon.

I've been there and it sucks for sure. My kid was king of sleep regressions but even he mellowed out a bit and the regressions slowly grew farther apart so we could all catch up on sleep.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Brawnfire posted:

My favorite was a dog named "Alna Bi"

Pronounced AHL-NAH BEE

No further details. Alna Bi. Wrote it on the tag.

Al-Nabi would mean “The Prophet” in Arabic. Islam traditionally considers dogs ritually unclean. So…

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

...I think you'll need to walk me through the conclusion.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

wizzardstaff posted:

Puzzle Piece
Sprinkle
Bunderbul
Pineapple

Yeah our kid has a whole stable of stuffies. Maybe a third were ours that he adopted, but the collection keeps growing. They all have names and he loves every single one. He'll demand to be tucked in with the dozen or so that are around at bedtime, and will sometimes request the ones that are missing.

We have:

Cheetah the cheetah
Horsie the horse (currently at daycare as his nap buddy)
Bean the furry ball thing with a face (we were calling her "Rain" for her rainbow colouring and he kept saying that "Bean" and it stuck)
Otter the otter (I made Otter)
Carthusia the squishmallow horse
Unicorn the squishmallow tree ornament that we're calling a unicorn
Una the squishmallow unicorn
Cookie Bear the scrap yarn teddy bear (kiddo named Cookie when he was about 18 months old)
Gnomie the gnome
Violet the bunny (aka "Bunny")
Kiri the kiwi (kiddo chose Kiri in the store)
Bill the southern ground hornbill (my parents are birdwatchers)
Luke the leukocyte (aka "Leukocyte") - stolen from my desk
Slim the snake
Bette the bat (slightly out of circulation)

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

You know, years ago when I was a drinkin' on weekdays, wake-and-bake fiend I don't think I ever would have guessed one day I'd be excitedly waking up at 6:30 am to make cinnamon buns with my daughter. But here we are, and it's great. The stages of our lives, man.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Brawnfire posted:

You know, years ago when I was a drinkin' on weekdays, wake-and-bake fiend I don't think I ever would have guessed one day I'd be excitedly waking up at 6:30 am to make cinnamon buns with my daughter. But here we are, and it's great. The stages of our lives, man.

Sounds like you’re still wake-and-baking

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

giogadi posted:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Lol holy poo poo true

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

giogadi posted:

:perfect:

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Brawnfire posted:

...I think you'll need to walk me through the conclusion.

I don't know, exactly. It just sounds like the beginning of a Charlie Hebdo comic or something.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Just sent the email and it's official: My kid's theme for his special week will be infrastructure

Time to see which other parents are politics junkies

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Day 532 of daycare being closed for the week. We may never have a nap schedule again. I desire only personal space and rest.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

giogadi posted:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
We'd like to start a save/spend/share bank with our kids. Our oldest is 7. How can we look for charities that are appropriate for her age? For example, when might it make sense to introduce something like St. Jude's or foster kids? We want her to feel good about helping people, but not feel like she has to worry about some of the more serious problems in the world yet.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Brawnfire posted:

I get up in the middle of the night for work, and I'm dreaming of the days when our tiny yelling slugs can use human sentences and watch me cook for them and have food opinions.

Seriously though how do you sleep with two infants

someone please send help. i'm happy but also, oh god, it's the worst best thing.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm dreaming of the days when our tiny yelling slugs can use human sentences and watch me cook for them and have food opinions.

Your wish may come true. A few hours ago, our toddler took a bite of his lunch and sadly declared “this is not good” before refusing to eat anything besides pizza.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Had child support court hearing this morning and guess who didn’t show up… When he finally texted me later in the day he insisted nobody told him about it. If he would just check his mail and listen to his voice mails like aresponsible adult he would have known, but that’s way too much work for him. Anyway the hearing was held without him and it will be all wrapped up in early January.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

3.5 and 1.5 year old here, but toddler has only slept through the night 4 times since he’s been born and preschooler still wakes up a few times a week. I’ve been up at least 2-3x/night for the last 4 years, and yes I’m counting late pregnancy where I was up to pee or change positions all the time. I’m so accustomed to it that even if the kids go to their dad’s for a night I still wake up at their usual times, which is a cruel fate indeed.
The answer is, you don’t… unless you are incredibly lucky.

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
I gotta say, it makes me feel so good when toddler tells her dad "I wanna watch Mama cook!" and I get to show her everything I'm doing to make her dinner. Sure, sometimes we sit at the table and she'll say "I don't like it," but lately I've been getting a lot of "It's good, Mama" and tonight was "Delicious!" and I'm still feeling the glow from that.

She's still conning us with fake potty breaks to watch more Peppa Pig, but we're going to try to separate screen time from potty time starting tomorrow, so pray for us.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Skipping a child support hearing definitely is a great look, no notes. God drat that dude sucks rear end.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

hooah posted:

We'd like to start a save/spend/share bank with our kids. Our oldest is 7. How can we look for charities that are appropriate for her age? For example, when might it make sense to introduce something like St. Jude's or foster kids? We want her to feel good about helping people, but not feel like she has to worry about some of the more serious problems in the world yet.

For our end of year charitable giving this year, we included our kids (7 and 4) in choosing the charities. We kept it very high-level and talked about things they would want to help with the most (feeding the hungry, sheltering the homeless, education for all, etc.), and had predetermined charities that focused on those areas.

We were prepared to cover any questions about the state of the world, but they didn't really have any. Our oldest wanted to help feed the hungry and was very excited to see how much food our donation was supplying to people through Feeding America.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

someone please send help. i'm happy but also, oh god, it's the worst best thing.

Twin parent here.
-If one wakes up to eat you wake the other one to eat. Always!
-Figure out how to feed them at the same time by yourself.
-If they're formula feed then get a Baby Brezza. If they're only doing breast milk then you only need to warm one bottle if you feed then at the same time.
-Buy a Table for Two, it makes simultaneous feeding easier.
-Have a place for you to sleep in their room. A couch, a daybed, a pile of towels.
-If both parents are in the house, split the night. One of us was in their room from bedtime to 1 or 2am, then we switched.
-Figure out how to pick up, hold, and put down both of them at the same time.
-Rocking chair in their room. You can't pace or bounce around with both for long.
-Sound machines. At least two in parent's room.
-If you slightly suspect they can't sleep because of teething then give them Tylenol or ibuprofen. Don't wait until they're feed, and still cranky and not sleeping before you give it, cause they take 15-20 minutes to take affect.
-Routine starts now. Sing the same song every time you're putting them down.
-Routine, routine, routine.

It still sucked, but we are able to get SOME sleep.

The biggest hurdle for twin baby parents I think is to try to deal with both baby's needs at the same time on your own. It goes a long way in your relationship with your spouse if you can give them a few hours, and they can do the same for you.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

hooah posted:

I wonder if giving to one of the Effective Altruism funds, since they support broad areas of improvement, might mean you could talk in more general terms about helping people/animals?

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

hooah posted:

You could look into local mutual aid groups, it might be satisfying for her to know that just a small donation directly helped someone in your own town.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I use WIC to demonstrate charity to my child. We grocery shop the monthly ration, we eat the cheeses and milks and fruit, but like the bread isn't a fancy enough brand for mom and the cereal is just like eh kix. Those things I take on over to the church down the street and put it in their food box for food stuffs. It's a pretty direct and demonstrable way to show charity. Doesn't cost me much other than a loaf of bread that would have gone stale and an extra stop on the way home. I'm not even part of that church, it's just on the way. I did check in with them once to make sure they maintain the space, and they do and they invited me and that was sweet.

If you want a financial product for you but in your childs name for other people to give to you and your child: that's just normal and american. I got a 512 for my kid and it's a website with a code and it's responsible thing to send to responsible relatives who will put responsible college funds into. But hoo boy, the website that gramma choose does feel like a low effort grift. Hope it's still there for him in 18 years.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Alright, legit potty training question: wtf do y'all do when the toddler just nopes out of sitting on the toilet? We've tried having him just sit on a training potty in front of the tv, we've tried having him take a break every hour/half hour, we've tried big boy underwear. And after making some initial progress this break he's backslid. Maybe he's just irked at being bothered about it?

External Organs posted:

Skipping a child support hearing definitely is a great look, no notes. God drat that dude sucks rear end.

Horse humper showed up two hours late to a hearing two hours late, in a mismatched suit, and high as a kite yet still got standard custody. Family law is a gently caress.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

citybeatnik posted:

Family law is a gently caress.

I'm probably missing a detail or two, but a friend from college who got a degree in family law emergency married her boyfriend so that he could have custody over his newborn instead of the birth mother who was a drug addict. Judge was going to give an incapable addicted mother 100% custody over a newborn because a single dad couldn't be trusted?

Anyway, many years later, they're still happy together, kid is doing great, but what the actual gently caress.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Asking for soup at breakfast actually means she wants cereal and milk. I guess it is like a kind of soup now that I think about it haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

hallo spacedog posted:

Asking for soup at breakfast actually means she wants cereal and milk. I guess it is like a kind of soup now that I think about it haha