Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Well it took 577 days, but I have finally received a response from Shrapnel. They requested a couple edits but they shouldn't be too hard. I might be making it into Issue 12

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Dec 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

First game of CBT in decades tonight. It was a real treat to introduce the kid to the nerd game I cut my teeth on, almost entirely unchanged after so many years but still in print.

I had forgotten just how whiffy baseline IS pilots with 3025 tech could be. You ran, your target ran, GS4, medium range? Long odds of tagging them for sure.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Defiance Industries posted:

Well it took 577 days, but I have finally received a response from Shrapnel. They requested a couple edits but they shouldn't be too hard. I might be making it into Issue 12

Congrats man! Can't wait to read it.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Hammerheads are really cute.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

It would be perfect for putting BA squads on, but it's not an Omni and Lyrans don't really use mag clamps.

It's too bad, I wanted to have four Cuchulainns riding on that huge head.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Dec 31, 2022

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It's still drying so I haven't been able to do gap filling/final cleanup, but I'm proud of this. I made myself a Timberwolf D.

Can't wait until CLG sticks an official one in the new kickstarter and makes mine look like garbage!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

That's really really clean greenstuff sculpting, nice job.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Hammerheads are really cute.

Huh, I didn’t realize the Hammerhead is so small. I figured it’d be a big ol heavy or assault mech.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Nah, it's a cute little 45 ton medium.

With hardened armor so it's roughly as durable as a Summoner.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I love missile doors*, I wish more minis had them.

*except on the Highlander IIC, holy poo poo I am not good enough at assembly to handle that.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Is there any source for the new Timberwolf outside of the Clan Invasion box set? It doesn't seem to be in any of the Clan Star boxes.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Owlbear Camus posted:

That's really really clean greenstuff sculpting, nice job.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Z the IVth posted:

Is there any source for the new Timberwolf outside of the Clan Invasion box set? It doesn't seem to be in any of the Clan Star boxes.

Plenty. Wolf’s Dragoons box, Legendary Mechwarriors box, the new Alpha Strike box or even the premium mini.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The Alpha Strike box and Clan Invasion box both have the Timberwolf Prime.

The Wolf's Dragoon's box has a Timberwolf Prime with a different pose.

The Legendary Mechwarriors box has Aidan Pryde's Timberwolf, which is almost the Prime but with most of the secondary weapons stripped out for jump jets (modeled on the back). The Pryde Wolf and the Dragoon's Wolf share the same leg pose but have slightly different torso poses.

The Timberwolf TC premium 'Mech also exists in Resin (maybe Siocast?), which is basically a Timberwolf with SRMs, Jump Jets, and Mad Dog arms. It comes in bits so you can pose it however you want.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

My daughter's assessment was "It's not only fighting with mechs like that, right? Is there more roleplay?"

So I'll be adding more context in the form of looking up prices, using my boring work related spreadsheet-toucher powers for good and letting her negotiate contracts and manage her merc unit and its resources a la the HBS game.

I've already decided her crew chief will be Brinjid Bjornditter, hailing from the free rasalhague republic and soberly going over post-mission damage, salvage, and repair and refit work orders with a severe Minnesotan accent. "Oh hey there you banged up the Commando pretty good don'tcha know? Good news is the Capellan 3A you cored out we recovered and it won't be walking again, yeah, no- But! it's plenty of spare parts that are plug an' play with 'er."

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 1, 2023

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Owlbear Camus posted:

My daughter's assessment was "It's not only fighting with mechs like that, right? Is there more roleplay?"

So I'll be adding more context in the form of looking up prices, using my boring work related spreadsheet-toucher powers for good and letting her negotiate contracts and manage her merc unit and its resources a la the HBS game.

I've already decided her crew chief will be Brinjid Bjornditter, hailing from the free rasalhague republic and soberly going over post-mission damage, salvage, and repair and refit work orders with a severe Minnesotan accent. "Oh hey there you banged up the Commando pretty good don'tcha know? Good news is the Capellan 3A you cored out we recovered and it won't be walking again, yeah, no- But! it's plenty of spare parts that are plug an' play with 'er."

I don't think I will ever be able to un-hear Rasalhague citizens as Minnesotans ever again.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Owlbear Camus posted:

If you want a good resource on how to negotiate contracts, you should check out Field Manual: Mercenaries (the first run in particular). It gets into what all of the major clauses in a normal mercenary contract are, what kind of terms are typically used in the industry for each of them and how each employer typically differs on how they weight the different parts of a contract. Another thing I really like is that every once in a while it will go "some employers try to use contract clause X to get the mercenary unit to do Y, which is illegal as hell." This is GM code for "do these things." Definitely have an employer hire her for garrison duty at some point and try to press the unit into making "defensive counterattacks" on the enemy's bases.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Or, better yet, "preemptive defensive counter-attacks"

Ghost Bear Alpha Galaxy, I feel like you took things just a little too far. Charcoal gray and blue slashes? Great, amazing, but if I wanted to paint leopard spots I'd be painting Smoke Jaguars. The white dots make me feel like I'm ruining a perfectly good paintscheme. :argh:

"And with this, we shall commemorate the day all members of Alpha Galaxy recovered from the space bear-chicken pox! Seyla!"

Edit: Are there any official schemes for Clan Protectorate Nova Cats, or is it pretty much just Spirit Cats and camo?

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jan 1, 2023

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Fearless posted:

I don't think I will ever be able to un-hear Rasalhague citizens as Minnesotans ever again.

There's an a actual Minessota clan though?

@PTN thanks for the comprehensive TW catalogue. The Wolf Dragoons box is the only one easily available here but it contains that fugly Annihilator.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Craft/painting question:

Does anyone offer shark's teeth nose art decals for these little stompy bois?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Crossing over from mini-painting.

quote:

First minis of 2023, though half of them were done before New Year's. Last two mechs for my first full company of Battletech minis... just in time for 8 more to show up on deep sale and prevent me from celebrating one game's backlog cleared. Still needs varnish, but I'll put up a family photo once they're varnished and cured in (this thread).

Command lance and Direct Fire lance picked up during the Barnes and Noble sale, they're sitting in their box in the closet for now but I'll get to them eventually. Just glad to at least have AGoAC and the support lance done.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Edit: Are there any official schemes for Clan Protectorate Nova Cats, or is it pretty much just Spirit Cats and camo?

It's hard to tell, because which Clusters belong to the Spirit Cats vs. Clan Sea Fox vs. joint venture is hard to say.

Shiva Keshik and Purifiers are Spirit Cats, they have defined camo (Purifiers either pull a Xi Provisional look or white/gray). Omicron Cluster (even if Catalyst shifted them last minute to Sea Fox in FM3145) is basically Spirit Cats, so same for them.

Protectorate Guardians are a joint Fox/Cat venture, so who knows.

Nova Cat Provisionals probably use a Nova Cat scheme. Dark Age clix scheme was white with red and gold highlights.

Beta Striker Cluster had 1 or 2 mechs in Empire Alone, and the Wendigo in there had a mix of blues, purples, and whites.

I'm just going to stick with white and gray for my Kitties.

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 2, 2023

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Something about the lighting and the wood wall in the background made me think this was actually a picture of you from the 80s. Perfect picture of classic gaming with the kid.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

PerniciousKnid posted:

Something about the lighting and the wood wall in the background made me think this was actually a picture of you from the 80s. Perfect picture of classic gaming with the kid.

The only real tell is the nice litko acrylic arc indicator. We didn't have fancy game aids in the long ago.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Z the IVth posted:

There's an a actual Minessota clan though?

@PTN thanks for the comprehensive TW catalogue. The Wolf Dragoons box is the only one easily available here but it contains that fugly Annihilator.

No, I am pretty sure the Minnesota Tribe sounded like a bunch of Yoopers.

the moose
Nov 7, 2009

Type: Electric Swing
Long time Mechwarrior 4 fan and found out my local store has a big alpha strike community. So I painted up a couple mechs!

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Fearless posted:

No, I am pretty sure the Minnesota Tribe sounded like a bunch of Yoopers.

"Holy wah, look at da size of dat mech. I betcha she can haul some rear end eh?"

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Yooper posted:

"Holy wah, look at da size of dat mech. I betcha she can haul some rear end eh?"

“So I put da swampers on and climbed inta my Griffin. I knew it was gonna be a rough fight, cause my guts was rumblin with pastie farts. All da more reason ta gettis one done quick.”

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

SkyeAuroline posted:

Crossing over from mini-painting.

Command lance and Direct Fire lance picked up during the Barnes and Noble sale, they're sitting in their box in the closet for now but I'll get to them eventually. Just glad to at least have AGoAC and the support lance done.

As promised, one family photo:

Now to just get some games in that aren't "here's a huge public event, 1 turn an hour if you're lucky, and all the mechs and record sheets are supplied"...

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Owlbear Camus posted:

Craft/painting question:

Does anyone offer shark's teeth nose art decals for these little stompy bois?

Steel Rift offers them, I think you can get them from Fortress Miniatures online.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

You can probably find ones for military models that are intended for planes that would work.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
CGL just blogged a retrospective with numbers that may induce warm happy feelings about this formerly dead game.

Also has reminder that Mercenary force packs are coming this month and they'll be unveiling the new Kickstarter at a streaming Adepticon event in March :frog:

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Seems like I picked a great time to jump on the BattleTech bandwagonOmniMech

Crazy what great miniatures can do for your *checks notes* miniature wargame IP

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Jag base this is Jag 12, approaching the reported radar signature.

Nothing on scope Jag Base.

Base. Picking up Heat Sig. Cannot get lock!

Kodiak base! Kodiak!

Jag 12, Jag 12. Hold your position. Repeat, hold your position. Reinforcements are en route.

Neg base, I need units now! Freebir--

Finished my Alpha Galaxy Ghost Bears.
Assault Star

Striker Star

Sweep Star

Elemental Star

I really hate my phone. I put everything together and took a picture and what does it do? gently caress with the cockpit colors of everything but the Supernova. :sigh:

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Yooper posted:

I knew it!

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Marx Headroom posted:

CGL just blogged a retrospective with numbers that may induce warm happy feelings about this formerly dead game.

Also has reminder that Mercenary force packs are coming this month and they'll be unveiling the new Kickstarter at a streaming Adepticon event in March :frog:

It's fun to compare this to the utter failure of Shadowrun 6th.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
Gorgeous Ghost Bears! They’ve always been my favorite clan. I’m going to paint my clan mechs as Ghost Bears but I haven’t settled on what galaxy yet.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Marx Headroom posted:

"we were super successful and made all this money!"

"pay your contractors"

"no"

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Muir posted:

Gorgeous Ghost Bears! They’ve always been my favorite clan. I’m going to paint my clan mechs as Ghost Bears but I haven’t settled on what galaxy yet.

Rasalhauge Galaxy is pretty straightforward.

Marx Headroom posted:

OK CGL, I accept your challenge!

The only thing I'm not sure of is the Wheeled APC, because it could also be a Striker that's missing its missile turret. I thought the Warrior might be a Donar for a bit until I noticed the goofy pusher tail fan. Definitely a Warrior.

New Ostsol is looking good, and the Hermes II is a surprise. The Goliath needing a flight base makes me giggle. And the Cicada is instantly recognizable because it looks like it forgot to bring any guns.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jan 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
The Riflemen IIC is wearing a hat.

For some reason I think more mech's should be wearing them too.