Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I can't imagine someone with that attitude taking care of an infant...

I have a guess at just how much care of the infant he'll be taking at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
i mean, fish and chips tho

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

take the fish and chips to the doctor's appointment, problem solved

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

DeadlyMuffin posted:

That sounds like a reason not to invite the sister because she's an rear end in a top hat, not because of her beauty routine.

She ought to be figuring out her escape route. I can't imagine someone with that attitude taking care of an infant...

I mean , she married and chose to have a kid with this absolute gem of a man. I am sure this is not the first sign of him being like this.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

teen witch posted:

protip: If you feel that your status as a white person precludes you from commenting on the hornets nest known as colorism, then don’t.

Like starting off with “I know I’m white and I shouldn’t be delving into this” and then delve in, it rings hollow.

Sometimes the best way to be an ally, or even learn more about something, is to shut up and stop posting.

Look, if there's one thing I know about being a straight white man it's that it is my god-given right to offer my expert opinion on any matter under discussion, whether I know anything about it or not!

I'll not take this insult to my culture teen witch.

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

Foo Diddley posted:

i mean, fish and chips tho

But the burning question: Were mushy peas included?

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

Laptop story is the same energy as when you asked your grandparents for a Nintendo 64 and they got you a HappyBoyGame6400+
And isn't it ironic, don'tcha think?

Dr. Video Games 0135
May 20, 2003

That's gonna be a zoinks from me, Scoob
Eat the sushi lasagna and get in the gurglespurts pants, Shinji

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The_Franz posted:

Unless these people live in an old house with a still-full coal chute in the basement (more common than you might imagine), where do you even get coal, especially a small amount? Seems like something you would need to go out of your way to find. I guess you can buy a whole bag of it, but then you have a bag of coal sitting around just to give a stupid gag gift.

small amounts? walk down any fright railroad track and you should have enough to fill a grocery bag in half an hour

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
AITA for skipping New Years Eve at my child free sisters?

quote:

Last week I hosted Christmas for my family. I (33M) have a 2 year with my wife. Every year its at my sister, parents, or my house and it rotates every year. One of us hosts Thanksgiving/Christmas/New Years. In the last year my sister, who is vocally child free, got a dog. I love my sister, but we are very much opposites. When I had my kid it changed our relationship a bit. She tolerates (her words) my son. She has never watched him, i've also never asked. My son is present at all family functions, this annoys my sister.

My sister has turned into your classic dog mom. World revolves around the dog type. I do not own dogs, and really don't want to be around them. I don't want them in my house. Well my sister wanted to bring her dog to Christmas, and I said no. Its well trained and overall okay for a dog, I just didn't want it at my house, or even my yard. She complied and left it alone but was not happy about and let me know that several times.

The day before New Years Eve, she told me kids weren't welcome at her house. I was taken back by this and asked why. She just said alcohol would be present (we all drink and family friends also come to this party), and just said it wouldn't be appropriate for a 2 year old to be present. My wife and I had planned to only stay till 10 anyway and then would go home because of our kid. We reconsidered and opted to not go at all and respected my sisters wishes by keeping the kid at home. I let her know a half hour before the party started.

Wife and I treated it like any other night, we didn't even stay up till midnight. By Eleven, I noticed missed calls from her, and didn't answer. Fell asleep while texts started coming in. Calling me an rear end in a top hat. Calling me a dog hater. Saying it was rude I didn't come to the party. Said it was bullshit that she got my kid a Christmas present but didn't get her dog anything. The list went on, she was clearly drunk. I tried to call her, she didn't answer and got a text, "I'm not answering rear end in a top hat". So AITA here?

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
ESH except the kid and the dog. Maybe they can run away together to join a better family.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
The parents seem fine to me

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

run on sentience posted:

ESH except the kid and the dog. Maybe they can run away together to join a better family.

Seems like staying home with the kid is a much better choice than hanging out with the drunk drama queen. Parents are A+.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I wouldn't want a dog in my house. But if someone didn't show up because they wouldn't without their dog, I'd be fine with it. Then again, I don't host parties or have a social life. :shrug:

emptyspace
Oct 21, 2008
Part of owning a dog is knowing that it will not be welcome at every place you go to, and you have to find accommodations or not go. People try and skirt around this by calling their dog a service or emotional support animal. Still doesn't change the fact that not everyone loves your dog as much as you do. I have a dog, and she didn't go to xmas dinner with me. I wouldn't even think about taking her. It's a highly chaotic environment with food and children running around. I'd be in a constant state of stress if the dog were there.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
the resentment about how she buys the kid presents but didn't get one for her dog, tho

yeh stay far away from that level of drama

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I love my dog but I do not bring her to other people’s homes or the grocery store. AITA?

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit
Yeah I don't really see anything the parents did as wrong in any way. They have every right not to want the dog at their house and they have every right not to attend an event at which their child is not welcome.

People who insist that their dog is the same as a child are basically always annoying drama factories.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
She told them this the DAY BEFORE New Year's Eve. Does she think babysitters are actual magic? How could they possibly get anyone to watch their kid in that amount of time?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Midnight Voyager posted:

She told them this the DAY BEFORE New Year's Eve. Does she think babysitters are actual magic? How could they possibly get anyone to watch their kid in that amount of time?

Should have let the dog babysit. Two problems for the price of one!

Wait, no

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit
I don't think it's super easy to get a babysitter on NYE either, compared to like every other day of the year.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Wait, no

I’d watch this early 90s Miramax film

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

teen witch posted:

"Look Who's Talking... ugh..."

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

teen witch posted:

Air Bud: Irish Sitter

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...

Foo Diddley posted:

AITA for refusing to tell my husband the gender of our baby after he skipped going to the dr appointment with me?

gently caress around and don't find out, i guess

quote:

EDIT/UPDATE: Hi, so, first of all, wow!!! I did not expect this to blow up. Sorry, can't answer any comments because of feeling overwhelmed...um I just wanted to mention that my husband just attempted to contact my dr to get the results. It didn't go well and we had another argument over it. He couldn't get it since his mom was the one who made the call.

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Wait, no

Look Who's Talking? reboot looking good

e: goddammit

as penance

quote:

AITA for laughing at my niece's gift?

My 12-year old niece is really into arts and crafts, and recently got into crocheting. Before Christmas, she told me that she had a surprise gift for me, and seemed really excited about it. I told her I was really looking forward to it as well, and prepared her gift myself (which was actually art supplies).

On Christmas when we had our family gathering, she brought me her gift, and was super excited for me to open it. When I opened it, I saw a crocheted animal, but if I'm being honest, it looked REALLY REALLY bad. To give you an idea of what it looked like, imagine something from r/badtaxidermy but in crochet form. I couldn't help but burst out laughing, and I couldn't stop laughing no matter how hard I tried to suppress it, so I had to excuse myself to go to the washroom, where I locked myself for nearly 10 minutes.

When I came out, my niece was in tears with her parents trying to console her, and I apologized profusely and told her that I really liked her gift, but she kept crying and shouted at me, calling me a liar and that she sucked at art.

My niece avoided me for the vast majority of the party after that. I tried to make her feel better by displaying her gift on my living room cabinet, but my wife pulled me aside later in the day and told me to take it down after the party because it was in her words, "really ugly" and made her uncomfortable.

Surprisingly, all the adults was very understanding of my situation, but I feel really bad because I feel like I destroyed my niece's confidence, and I'm not sure how I can make it up to her.

nashona fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jan 3, 2023

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit

Evil Willow posted:

He couldn't get it since his mom was the one who made the call.

oh come on now

sometimes they feel like parody

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

PiratePrentice posted:

I don't think it's super easy to get a babysitter on NYE either, compared to like every other day of the year.

Not generally, no. You need to be booking that well in advance, because anyone old enough to meet the conditions you'd want in a babysitter on NYE (can drive themselves and is able to stay until at least 2 am) is going to be old enough that they'll probably have plans of their own if you're calling them the day before.

Even if they don't have plans, they might not be willing to go babysit instead of chilling at home. And if they are willing, they're hopefully charging at least three times their usual rate.

Evil Willow posted:

"His mum was the one who made the call"

Wow. He couldn't even make the call himself, he had to get mommy to do it for him.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for thinking my MOH should spend the day before my wedding with me?

quote:

I'm new to Reddit. My FBIL suggested I post here.

My (33f) fiancé (29m) are getting married in August. We happen to share the same birthday, and our wedding is the day after. My MOH (B, 25f) also has the same birthday as us.

So for the day before the wedding, I had suggested to Bex that she join us (mine and fiancé's family) for lunch and then help me to prepare for my wedding day. I also asked that she share a hotel room with me the night before, so she can be there for me the moment I wake up, to support and calm me. She agreed to stay in the hotel with me but was a bit vague about agreeing to lunch, as she said she didn't know if she would have plans. (This was a few weeks ago.)

Skip to today and Bex's husband (Lee) messages me to say that he's organised a romantic day out for Bex's birthday, ending with a concert. He told me that it was going to be a surprise for her, so he was letting me know in advance so that I could plan for her absense the day before the wedding.

I will admit that I became sharp with Lee. I told him it was inconsiderate of him to book something for Bex the day before my wedding when he knew she had responsibilities. Lee told me I was a "crazy bridezilla" if I thought I was going to make Bex do "slave labour" on her birthday. (Bex is really good at organising, and she loves to help. I don't think she'd see it that way.) Lee did say that if Bex still wanted to come back to my hotel room after the concert that he wouldn't stop her, but that I absolutely cannot have her during the day.

I went to one of my bridesmaids, Val 29f, and she agreed with Lee that I obviously have to let Bex go off and enjoy her birthday. I told Val I was annoyed that Lee hadn't even asked me if I could spare Bex, he had just told me she wasn't going to be available. I also told her that Lee hadn't even offered me his concert ticket, so that Bex, my MOH and I could have a fun evening together the day before my wedding.

She told someone what I said and now I'm getting hateful messages from my other bridesmaid and friends saying I can't behave that way.

All I want is to spend the day before my wedding with my MOH, am I really the rear end in a top hat?

TLDR: I want to spend the day before my wedding with my MOH but my MOH's husband wants to take her out for her birthday. AITA?

I'll add that I don't know if Bex knows yet. She's organised so much for me, so I think that she would help me if I asked her.

Edit: For everyone asking why I'm relying on Bex so much, it's because my fiancé hasn't been much help during thr whole process so I obviously need someone to lean on and talk to about my vision for the day.

Edit 2: I can't afford a wedding planner.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

tinytort posted:

Wow. He couldn't even make the call himself, he had to get mommy to do it for him.

I assume it was only the mom who cared about the baby, he just cared about his mom.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Midnight Voyager posted:

PiratePrentice posted:

New Year's Eve is the worst evening in the entire year to get a babysitter. It's a super busy holiday and focused primarily on late evening events in a way that even other common holidays aren't. It's also a holiday that overlaps enough between high school/college and adulthood that both the demand and supply side get hit - tons of couples simultaneously want a babysitter because everybody is having a party, while many babysitters often have parties of their own they'd like to go to. Getting a babysitter on one day's notice isn't easy even under ideal circumstances, but on NYE, lol no.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Hawkperson posted:

All right I’ll admit I thought Nathan was 13ish but that last sentence still makes me feel pretty bad for him. Sounds like he’s been parentalized for years and years and this felt like one more bout of that. Yeah, he’s still the rear end in a top hat but I can see how this happened. :therapy:

Lol no, you dont have to feel bad for the 19 year old who is old enough to understand consequences. If he was 13-15 maybe I could come up with some empathy, but gently caress this shithead who was gifted this awesome opportunity and then had a meltdown because he occasionally had to sit with a dog for a bit.

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

tinytort posted:

Only the MIL is interested in the baby; the husband is too busy screwing his affair partner--I mean, "meeting the boys for fish & chips"--while OP is at the doctor's.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

AITA for being upset that my family didn’t get my kids Christmas presents?

quote:

I married into a wealthy family. My family is lower middle class so it was quite a change.

I have two kids (6f and 4m) that get more or less anything they want. But they aren’t spoiled.

Anyways, we decided to spend Christmas with my family and the day before Christmas Day (since my dad worked the actual day), my mom calls all the kids to the tree for presents and did her usual “you guys were so good and that’s why santa gave you all these things” speech. After that, all of them quickly found theirs but my two kids kept searching and couldn’t find anything. My son was on the verge of tears and my daughter was quiet after the tree was cleared and they were left with nothing.

I asked my mom what was going on and my mom looked at me then at my kids and went “Oops! I thought you knew. We all decided that we weren’t buying them Christmas gifts.”

I asked her why and she said that they get more than they need from me and my in laws and that they all collectively decided to spend more on those that need it. She looked at my son who had tears running down his face and said “See, look at how spoiled he is, this is good for them.“

She then walked away. I quietly went back to the guest room and packed our things. I then called my husband who had offered to go grab my mom something from Walmart and told him to leave the stuff and come pick us up.

We then left quietly after I let my dad know. He was disappointed but said he understood.

We managed to cheer the kids up and visited my in laws instead. A while later I got a call from my mother.

She kept asking me why I disappeared like that and said that she was waiting for the stuff my husband was bringing from Walmart.

I told her VERY POLITELY that I didn’t like what she did to my children and that she or literally anyone else could’ve AT LEAST told me. My mom said I was acting very entitled for someone who goes on multiple vacations a year. She then brought up my son crying again. I got pissed and told her that the reason he cried is because of her stupid speech about only good kids getting presents. My mom then randomly said that maybe he isn’t a good kid if he cried like that over not getting toys. We argued back and forth over this but then I ended up saying that she’s very lucky I didn’t snatch back the gifts I bought for my nieces/nephew. My mom just said “the entitlement!” before hanging up.

My sister texted me the same thing and my other sister said that I’m playing the victim when the real victims are them and their kids. My mom sent a similar text as well. AITA?

Edit:

Got the day wrong. It was the day before-not actually Christmas Day. My bad, its been a couple days. My dad worked Christmas Day so we opened presents the day before.

Okay just to clarify:

The presents my husband and I got our kids were at our in laws since we were going there after a while anyways.

We told my in laws what happened and they got some extra things to cheer them up. Getting their presents cheered my daughter up. It cheered my son up as well but the speech my mom gave seems to be bothering him still.

I’ve been using “Santa wasn’t done delivering presents” which again, seems to have mostly worked since they did eventually get things but I will be doing what a few people suggested about Santa apologizing and reassuring my kids that they were never on the naughty list. Thanks!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Evil Willow posted:

"You're not allowed to have a birthday this year because even though I have a bunch of family already available to help me, I demand that YOU to do it instead. Also gimme that free concert ticket"

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

Holy gently caress I'd immediately go NC with mom after that :stare:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
That's some hosed up poo poo there.

AITA for having a tent full of toys and books in the living room when my nieces and nephews aren’t allowed to use it?

quote:

My husband and I have 4 kids (Allie 17, Andrew 15, Charlotte 12, and Lucas 9) and we’ve been fostering Emily (6) for almost a year.

Emily has special needs. She gets overwhelmed easily and when she gets overwhelmed she hides. Emily is also very small and a master at getting herself into tight spaces (under the couch, inside a kitchen cabinet, inside a doll house, etc.) so when she hides it can take forever to find her. She’ll also lock the door of the room that she’s hiding in then hide to make it that much harder to get to her.

We bought her a tent shortly after she moved in with us. We let her pick out everything in the tent from the mat on the floor to the toys and books inside and we got her to go to her tent whenever she gets overwhelmed or feels like she has to hide. Nobody is allowed in that tent without Emily’s permission. We have the tent in a corner in the living room. It’s one of the few places where she can’t lock a door and we can see her in the tent from most places in the house.

My family hosted Christmas this year. Before everyone came over, we told Emily to put away whatever toys she didn’t want anyone playing with. She put some of her toys in her tent and some in her room and insisted on locking the door.

When everyone got here, Emily hid in her tent and started to play with her toys. We explained to the kids that the tent is Emily’s special place and that they are not allowed to go inside or use any of the toys inside. The kids were upset but we had a couple toys for them, plus Lucas was willing to share his toys.

My siblings approached me multiple times on Christmas and asked why I put something so tempting as a tent full of toys in front of their kids then say they’re not allowed to use it. I explained that the tent prevents Emily from endangering herself and that it has to be there because it’s one of the few places where we can see it from most places in the house.

When we got Emily out of the tent, some kids tried to go inside and I told them they’re not allowed in there even when Emily isn’t in the tent. I closed it up and put duct tape on the zipper to prevent the kids from opening it.

Some siblings left right after we ate because of the tent and some stayed but berated me in private for “taunting” their kids with the tent.

My parents agree with my siblings that it was rude and want to host future holidays so Emily won’t have the tent. Was I the rear end in a top hat for keeping the tent in plain sight when there were kids that would want to use it?

Man it is so hard to say No.

WIBTA for calling the cops on a creepy delivery driver?

quote:

I (25F) recently moved to a new city for a job. I decided it was time to get some new furniture as well. I went to a local furniture shop, found a decent bedroom set, bought it, and scheduled for delivery later that week.

The day of delivery I get call saying my delivery will be there 10am-6pm. I ask if he could narrow down the timeframe a little bit since I have errands to run, but want to be sure not to miss the delivery. He said he’d call when he was 2 hours out, which he did, and everything worked out.

The delivery (which included assembly) was normal, nothing out of the ordinary. I was mostly in the living room organizing. We made brief small talk about me being new to town. Maybe chatted for 5 minutes? He finished his job and left, and that was that.

About a week later I start getting really weird text messages from an unsaved number “what would do you if you knew you loved someone from the first time you saw them?” was first one of them. At first I ignored, then asked who tf is this? They wouldn’t answer just kept telling me to answer their questions (“do you have a boyfriend” “what would be your dream date?”) I blocked the number.

Then I realize the number looked kinda familiar, I know very few ppl with this area code so I check my call log back to the day of delivery, and holy poo poo the same number that is texting me is the number the called about my delivery.

I mentioned how freaked out I was to my friend and her bf on NYE. I brought it up to them because he’s a delivery driver for Amazon so kinda similar jobs, he said “how else is a guy supposed to shoot his shot?” After talking to friends they don’t seem to think it’s a big of a deal as I do.

WITBA for calling the police or is that overreacting? I’m questioning what to do after talking with friends. He knows where I live obviously so I don’t want to make this guy mad but the content of the message and the audacity to take a customers personal number to text them personally. Clearly issues with boundaries which is not okay.

gently caress that noise. I deliver poo poo for a living, and I would never ever call a customer on their personal number unless I am (a) delivering something to them right then or (b) on my way and the notes say to call in advance, usually for medical equipment.

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 3, 2023

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Evil Willow posted:

I'm new to Reddit. My FBIL suggested I post here.

Thank god for all the shady relatives who suggest the OP post on AITA, knowing full well they’re going to get torn apart.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Dango Bango posted:

And the sisters, since they seem to agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

Dango Bango posted:

Sisters too. 0 way I would not be planning how to explain they tried to steal the presents but Santa brought them anyway to good children.